BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2022-08-05 3:47 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022

Originally posted by ceilidh Anyone racing this weekend? I am skipping the Lake Logan Olympic. I am untrained and I have a funeral to go to

Not a race, but Janyne and I are doing the cycle NC mountain ride tomorrow . 

2022-08-05 3:48 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by ceilidh Anyone racing this weekend? I am skipping the Lake Logan Olympic. I am untrained and I have a funeral to go to

Oh!!! Have fun!!! I sure wish i could ride witj you two!
2022-08-05 4:16 PM

Originally posted by ceilidh

Anyone racing this weekend? I am skipping the Lake Logan Olympic. I am untrained and I have a funeral to go to

Taking my daughter to college for the first time in a week and a half, so this weekend is our last camping trip before she goes. Unfortunately the weather and marine forecast look awful for the weekend, so I'm not sure we'll get the boat out for much fishing. Hopefully just a relaxing weekend of hanging out, playing games, and hoping the water/weather will cooperate for just a bit.
2022-08-05 4:36 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

August 6-7
Robin K-C - IM Boulder 70.3
Ann-Marie - CNC Mountain Ride
Janyne - CNC Mountain Ride

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

2022-08-05 4:37 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Sorry to hear this, Robin.

2022-08-05 4:38 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It should be fun!  ;-)

2022-08-05 5:14 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Outdoor bike ride tomorrow on one of my favorite routes--Upper Camp Creek. About 37 miles. I intend to do it lazily--this is recovery week!
2022-08-10 1:49 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

August 6-7

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

How was the mountain ride?Robin, how was Boulder?
2022-08-10 2:05 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

August 6-7

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

The ride was -- mountainous

Seriously, it was beautiful, had a few big climbs, lots of rural roads with very little traffic, a short gravel section (not announced but fine to ride on with a regular road bike, just surprising). It was well supported. I thought that they probably did a better job than Forest City but they had a lot better scenery to work with too.

I'd do it again as long as I didn't have to pay for a hotel. The ride itself is kinda expensive.

Full write up with photos in my training blog.

2022-08-10 3:24 PM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

August 6-7

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Boulder was horrible, haha! It was the strangest swim I've ever had in a race.

We were delayed 45 minutes because people didn't follow directions and couldn't get into the Rez to park and traffic was horrendous. Of course they didn't tell us there was a delay until we were lined up in our wetsuits in baking heat.

The first 200-300 meters were in muddy water, which I've never seen in Boulder before. When IM says the "pristine water of Boulder Rez" never believe them. However, this was beyond non-pristine. A guy got his fingers stuck in my watch band and I barely grabbed my watch as it fell of my wrist. My timing chip was also grabbed so I spend the last 700 meters trying to keep it from completely falling off. At the end of the swim, a guy next to me kept pushing me into the wall of the boat ramp and telling me to get out of his way. But there was no where to go because I was against a solid wall. There was punching and kicking which I've also never experienced in an IM race before. I expect contact, but not bruise-causing contact.

I only did the swim and it was my slowest swim in a 70.3 ever.

The best part about the race (sarcasm here) was we were not allowed to use the port-a-potties in transition before the race. I got there early because I knew what traffic and parking were like, so I asked if I could borrow scissors to cut the zipties of the potties. Nope, they were not to be used until during the race. Ummm..okay? So I cut them off with my trusty nail clippers i keep in my tri bag. An official in transition yelled at us using the potties and threatened to zip tie us in the potties if we didn't hurry. I took my time and fixed my hair and makeup in the mirror (just kidding on that last part).

The pro male who one said he contemplated quitting triathlons 3 times during the run because the run was so hot.
2022-08-10 3:54 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by fortissimo

Racing Manatees!!!

August 6-7

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Boulder was horrible, haha! It was the strangest swim I've ever had in a race. We were delayed 45 minutes because people didn't follow directions and couldn't get into the Rez to park and traffic was horrendous. Of course they didn't tell us there was a delay until we were lined up in our wetsuits in baking heat. The first 200-300 meters were in muddy water, which I've never seen in Boulder before. When IM says the "pristine water of Boulder Rez" never believe them. However, this was beyond non-pristine. A guy got his fingers stuck in my watch band and I barely grabbed my watch as it fell of my wrist. My timing chip was also grabbed so I spend the last 700 meters trying to keep it from completely falling off. At the end of the swim, a guy next to me kept pushing me into the wall of the boat ramp and telling me to get out of his way. But there was no where to go because I was against a solid wall. There was punching and kicking which I've also never experienced in an IM race before. I expect contact, but not bruise-causing contact. I only did the swim and it was my slowest swim in a 70.3 ever. The best part about the race (sarcasm here) was we were not allowed to use the port-a-potties in transition before the race. I got there early because I knew what traffic and parking were like, so I asked if I could borrow scissors to cut the zipties of the potties. Nope, they were not to be used until during the race. Ummm..okay? So I cut them off with my trusty nail clippers i keep in my tri bag. An official in transition yelled at us using the potties and threatened to zip tie us in the potties if we didn't hurry. I took my time and fixed my hair and makeup in the mirror (just kidding on that last part). The pro male who one said he contemplated quitting triathlons 3 times during the run because the run was so hot.

Holy crap that sounds horrible! They do the zip tie thing with the porta johns in transition at choo, but they have lots of others right outside transition open. They also have them at swim start. I was sorry to read someone died during the swim (or maybe at the hospital after being pulled from the swim,).

2022-08-10 4:07 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I had been thinking about doing Boulder next year, but you just changed my mind. Maybe will sign up for Oregon instead. Despite all its issues with the swim and bike chaos, it sounds a lot better than what you went through!
2022-08-11 8:43 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Racing Manatees!!!

August 6-7

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Boulder was horrible, haha! It was the strangest swim I've ever had in a race. We were delayed 45 minutes because people didn't follow directions and couldn't get into the Rez to park and traffic was horrendous. Of course they didn't tell us there was a delay until we were lined up in our wetsuits in baking heat. The first 200-300 meters were in muddy water, which I've never seen in Boulder before. When IM says the "pristine water of Boulder Rez" never believe them. However, this was beyond non-pristine. A guy got his fingers stuck in my watch band and I barely grabbed my watch as it fell of my wrist. My timing chip was also grabbed so I spend the last 700 meters trying to keep it from completely falling off. At the end of the swim, a guy next to me kept pushing me into the wall of the boat ramp and telling me to get out of his way. But there was no where to go because I was against a solid wall. There was punching and kicking which I've also never experienced in an IM race before. I expect contact, but not bruise-causing contact. I only did the swim and it was my slowest swim in a 70.3 ever. The best part about the race (sarcasm here) was we were not allowed to use the port-a-potties in transition before the race. I got there early because I knew what traffic and parking were like, so I asked if I could borrow scissors to cut the zipties of the potties. Nope, they were not to be used until during the race. Ummm..okay? So I cut them off with my trusty nail clippers i keep in my tri bag. An official in transition yelled at us using the potties and threatened to zip tie us in the potties if we didn't hurry. I took my time and fixed my hair and makeup in the mirror (just kidding on that last part). The pro male who one said he contemplated quitting triathlons 3 times during the run because the run was so hot.

Holy crap that sounds horrible! They do the zip tie thing with the porta johns in transition at choo, but they have lots of others right outside transition open. They also have them at swim start. I was sorry to read someone died during the swim (or maybe at the hospital after being pulled from the swim,).

HOLY HELL! Note to self: Stay Clear of Boulder!!

2022-08-11 10:20 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner

I had been thinking about doing Boulder next year, but you just changed my mind. Maybe will sign up for Oregon instead. Despite all its issues with the swim and bike chaos, it sounds a lot better than what you went through!

Boulder is in June next year, which means the water will be cooler. However, the air temp may be 100 degrees or it may be 60, or somewhere in between.

I do feel that if people would have followed the directions and planned on being at the Rez by 5-5:30 am instead of last minute, there would have been very little chaos. I 100% blame those racing who thought they could pull into the Rez at 6 am with their parking pass that only athlete received and have no problem parking. They were warned and they didn't listen so all of us suffered.

That said, unless they change the Boulder bike course, do Oregon instead. I 100% hate the Boulder bike course.

On Oregon, the lines for the port-a-potties were ridiculously long and blocked those of us whose bikes were near from getting to our bikes. I would say excuse me so I could get through the bathroom line to my bike and would be told that the end of the line was back there. My response was, yes but my bike is there and I need to get to it. That is why they didn't open the Boulder potties before the race - they learned from Oregon. Other than that, I thought Oregon was extremely well run.
2022-08-11 10:25 AM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

August 6-7

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

They did have potties outside transition, but they were open to everyone and it was hard as an athlete to stand in line when you know you have to get ready to race and the person in front of you does not have to race. They were also so far away from our bike rack and the transition potties were literally 5 steps away.

Unfortunately, there was a death during the swim. Although the cause has not been officially confirmed, those we know who were volunteers said it was heart related.

Boulder is a beautiful location to race, but not in August heat. June will be much better next year.
2022-08-11 2:29 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Believe me, I have seen my share of port-potty chaos racing in SE Asia. It's in one of my Vietnam 70.3 reports--the city of Danang did not allow them on course (on city streets) so outside of the (two??) porta-potties in transition, your only options were public toilets on the beach (which normally demand a small fee) or running into a bar or coffee shop or something. I just handled it "on the run". Pre-race, one year there were so few porta-potties (and those that were there had overflowed) that people were pooping on the floors in some public changing rooms near the beach. Gross! But one would hope that the US with its culture of sports and mass events, and lots of porta-potty companies, could do a little better?!

2022-08-11 6:21 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

August 6-7

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

That sounds just horrible.
2022-08-12 8:00 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Believe me, I have seen my share of port-potty chaos racing in SE Asia. It's in one of my Vietnam 70.3 reports--the city of Danang did not allow them on course (on city streets) so outside of the (two??) porta-potties in transition, your only options were public toilets on the beach (which normally demand a small fee) or running into a bar or coffee shop or something. I just handled it "on the run". Pre-race, one year there were so few porta-potties (and those that were there had overflowed) that people were pooping on the floors in some public changing rooms near the beach. Gross! But one would hope that the US with its culture of sports and mass events, and lots of porta-potty companies, could do a little better?!

so far I've learned two things:
Don't do Boulder 70.3 esp in August
Don't do Vietnam 70.3

NOTED!
2022-08-12 8:17 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by Hot Runner Believe me, I have seen my share of port-potty chaos racing in SE Asia. It's in one of my Vietnam 70.3 reports--the city of Danang did not allow them on course (on city streets) so outside of the (two??) porta-potties in transition, your only options were public toilets on the beach (which normally demand a small fee) or running into a bar or coffee shop or something. I just handled it "on the run". Pre-race, one year there were so few porta-potties (and those that were there had overflowed) that people were pooping on the floors in some public changing rooms near the beach. Gross! But one would hope that the US with its culture of sports and mass events, and lots of porta-potty companies, could do a little better?!
so far I've learned two things: Don't do Boulder 70.3 esp in August Don't do Vietnam 70.3 NOTED!

hahaha, good take away!

2022-08-12 8:19 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner I had been thinking about doing Boulder next year, but you just changed my mind. Maybe will sign up for Oregon instead. Despite all its issues with the swim and bike chaos, it sounds a lot better than what you went through!

On the upside, Boulder's bike course is flatter than Choo!

2022-08-12 8:23 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner I had been thinking about doing Boulder next year, but you just changed my mind. Maybe will sign up for Oregon instead. Despite all its issues with the swim and bike chaos, it sounds a lot better than what you went through!
Boulder is in June next year, which means the water will be cooler. However, the air temp may be 100 degrees or it may be 60, or somewhere in between. I do feel that if people would have followed the directions and planned on being at the Rez by 5-5:30 am instead of last minute, there would have been very little chaos. I 100% blame those racing who thought they could pull into the Rez at 6 am with their parking pass that only athlete received and have no problem parking. They were warned and they didn't listen so all of us suffered. That said, unless they change the Boulder bike course, do Oregon instead. I 100% hate the Boulder bike course. On Oregon, the lines for the port-a-potties were ridiculously long and blocked those of us whose bikes were near from getting to our bikes. I would say excuse me so I could get through the bathroom line to my bike and would be told that the end of the line was back there. My response was, yes but my bike is there and I need to get to it. That is why they didn't open the Boulder potties before the race - they learned from Oregon. Other than that, I thought Oregon was extremely well run.

Weren't there snow flurries last time Boulder 70.3 was in June?

So, the start waited because people couldn't follow directions? Would a "the start time is the start time" warning have helped?  Or is that impossible (well, difficult) with a rolling start?

2022-08-12 8:24 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by Hot Runner Believe me, I have seen my share of port-potty chaos racing in SE Asia. It's in one of my Vietnam 70.3 reports--the city of Danang did not allow them on course (on city streets) so outside of the (two??) porta-potties in transition, your only options were public toilets on the beach (which normally demand a small fee) or running into a bar or coffee shop or something. I just handled it "on the run". Pre-race, one year there were so few porta-potties (and those that were there had overflowed) that people were pooping on the floors in some public changing rooms near the beach. Gross! But one would hope that the US with its culture of sports and mass events, and lots of porta-potty companies, could do a little better?!
so far I've learned two things: Don't do Boulder 70.3 esp in August Don't do Vietnam 70.3 NOTED!

Please Oregon has a fast swim and Calgary's bike was very very hilly (at least this year).

2022-08-12 8:27 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Really?! That's funny! 

2022-08-12 8:35 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Really?! That's funny! 

Boulder -  2059 feet of gain
Chattanooga - 2218 feet of gain

2022-08-12 8:38 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Really?! That's funny! 

Boulder -  2059 feet of gain
Chattanooga - 2218 feet of gain

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 27071 Posts: 1069

2022-12-30 6:00 AM jmhpsu93