BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2022-01-10 10:49 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by jmkizer

Happy Monday, Manatees!

Today is the kick off to the JoGo Challenge. This is a sometimes event that was originated by a former Manatee, JoGo, who liked to use challenges as a form of motivation.  Feel free to sign up for any or all of the challenges.  It looks like we have four participates right now.  The challenge runs through Valentine's week.  I plan to post updates about once a week.

I'm using the Keep on Moving for my steps challenge. I've got a good streak going and I know that Jan/Feb can be tough months for meeting this goal.  I'm also doing Strength/Core/Yoga because I know that is what tends to fall off the bus for me. I get my SBR (OK, let's be honest, I no longer swim) but the supporting cast of strength/core/yoga are more difficult for me.

A few people have signed up for Good Eats and Distance/Hours.  No one signed up for Body Comp (yet) so I moved that tab to the far right.

ok, i put myself in the good eats challenge with the goal of getting 20 grams of protein /meal + 1 snack. I already missed that goal with breakfast

I have the hardest time getting enough protein. Not eating meat makes it difficult. How do you get 20 geams for breakfast?

I don't think I knew you were vegetarian too! Getting 20 grams of protein has to be a combo of things -e.g.,:

2 eggs = 14 grams

.5 c quinoa 4 grams 

So that might be as close as I get with that meal. Of course, you could do a 3 egg omelet, and you are done.  The harder breakfasts are those without eggs. Kodiak cake protein pancakes have 14 grams per serving if you make them without eggs or milk (eg, just water).you can add and egg and that will give you enough. When i make them i use egg and almond milk, unless I'm cutting down on eggs. I ignore the amount of sugar they have!   I'm also trying to do overnight oats more often. If you add PB or protein powder you can get close.  

I am not vegetarian but I am very much on the Greek yogurt bandwagon. And eggs.

2022-01-10 1:05 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by ceilidh

Happy Monday, Manatees!

Today is the kick off to the JoGo Challenge. This is a sometimes event that was originated by a former Manatee, JoGo, who liked to use challenges as a form of motivation.  Feel free to sign up for any or all of the challenges.  It looks like we have four participates right now.  The challenge runs through Valentine's week.  I plan to post updates about once a week.

I'm using the Keep on Moving for my steps challenge. I've got a good streak going and I know that Jan/Feb can be tough months for meeting this goal.  I'm also doing Strength/Core/Yoga because I know that is what tends to fall off the bus for me. I get my SBR (OK, let's be honest, I no longer swim) but the supporting cast of strength/core/yoga are more difficult for me.

A few people have signed up for Good Eats and Distance/Hours.  No one signed up for Body Comp (yet) so I moved that tab to the far right.

ok, i put myself in the good eats challenge with the goal of getting 20 grams of protein /meal + 1 snack. I already missed that goal with breakfast

I have the hardest time getting enough protein. Not eating meat makes it difficult. How do you get 20 geams for breakfast?

I don't think I knew you were vegetarian too! Getting 20 grams of protein has to be a combo of things -e.g.,:

2 eggs = 14 grams

.5 c quinoa 4 grams 

So that might be as close as I get with that meal. Of course, you could do a 3 egg omelet, and you are done.  The harder breakfasts are those without eggs. Kodiak cake protein pancakes have 14 grams per serving if you make them without eggs or milk (eg, just water).you can add and egg and that will give you enough. When i make them i use egg and almond milk, unless I'm cutting down on eggs. I ignore the amount of sugar they have!   I'm also trying to do overnight oats more often. If you add PB or protein powder you can get close.  

we eat seafood, eggs and dairy so thst helps. But it is still hard for me to get the 100 g I am supposed to have each day.
2022-01-10 1:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Happy Monday, Manatees!

I have also done good eats about re-fueling after each workout (i won't count yoga). I really need to do this. 

I did also put in something for body comp. Because my weight is up since my HIM but i am actually not that worried about it - i don't think i have a big issue - but would be nice to go down a little at least. I think balanced nutrition and eating enough are more important for my current stage of life (busy with kids and work) so we'll see if some tracking helps.

Edited by juniperjen 2022-01-10 1:56 PM
2022-01-10 3:10 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Who knew we had so many vegetarian-forward Manatees! I'm about 90% vegetarian (and 100% gluten free), but I really don't worry about protein or macros or anything. Since hormone positive breast cancer I was told to limit soy and tofu - but don't have to eliminate it all together. So I do tofu maybe once a month, and love all things black beans and chickpeas. Regular rotations in my weekly menus if anyone is looking for ideas to swap:

- Tacos (onion, bell pepper, black beans on corn or Siete tortillas - sometimes with cheese or sour cream)
- Taco Mac (macaroni, onion, pepper, corn, black beans, tomato sauce, veg broth, spices, cheese - in the Instant Pot!)
- Pizza (homemade gluten free thick crust topped with onions, peppers, mushrooms, cheese - pair with a big salad)
- Stirfry (all the veggies - onion, celery, peppers, mushrooms, carrots - tamari sauce - sometimes with air fried tofu - over brown rice)
- Indian (love a good chickpea tikka masala over jasmine rice)
- Soup (red veggie chili, white bean chili, loaded potato)
- Hash (sweet potato, onion, pepper, apple, top with a fried egg)
- Egg casserole (eggs, non-dairy milk, chunks of bread/bagel, all the veggies

2022-01-10 9:13 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
I'm in GOJO. MD said I needed to aggressively modify my diet to less that 200 mg cholesterol and 30 g of fat per day.
2022-01-10 9:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I might have to invite myself for dinner! Not a vegetarian (I was for a time in my 20's but had a lot of issues keeping iron levels up) but I really could care less about meat as long as I can eat salmon, and maybe a good steak a few times a year. All those veggie meals sound delicious!

I'm another one of those people who aren't a fan of protein recovery shakes and other such products. If you've ever read my race reports, it should be obvious I've had a long struggle with sweet-tasting sports products. I just don't like them, find them nauseating, and have trouble getting/keeping many of them down in a race situation. For recovery, I've basically just given up and simply eat real food--wheat toast with peanut butter, nuts and fruit, etc. When I was in Vietnam I did get smoothies, usually "real food" ones from a local chain with fruit, peanut or almond butter, soymilk, and other good stuff--mainly as sometimes in the tropics, one finishes a workout just too hot to think about eating for quite some time! Under normal conditions, I just try to get a good, palatable combo of protein and carbs.

If you are looking for actual sports products that aren't too sweet, there is a brand called Pure (I think out of New Zealand) which isn't too bad. Much less sweet than most other brands, both the hydration and the recovery products. Not sure if it is available in the US. It was sometimes on offer in SE Asia, Australia, and NZ. Nuun is also good for sugar-free hydration--it's pretty much all I drink for training and races (aside from plain water). Haven't tried their recovery products.

Edited by Hot Runner 2022-01-10 9:27 PM

2022-01-11 6:33 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella I'm in GOJO. MD said I needed to aggressively modify my diet to less that 200 mg cholesterol and 30 g of fat per day.

Did you tell her that you were a fat adapted athlete?

2022-01-11 4:14 PM
in reply to: canadarn2001

Originally posted by canadarn2001

NAME: Leanne

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: My word of the year is "Joy". So...I have decided to do all things that truly bring me joy. Now that I am older I have figured this out. Joy for me is moving my body, setting and accomplishing my personal goals. I love doing anything outside that involves movement! Obviously my #1 goal for this year is finishing Umstead 100.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I love cheering others on and seeing people achieve their goals and become the best versions of themselves!

Welcome Leanne. My wife actually does an annual word, and had "joy" as hers a few years ago. I think that might have been her first year doing it actually. She kept a daily journal/log of things that her brought her joy that day. She found it pretty beneficial.
2022-01-11 4:19 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

Happy Monday, Manatees!

I'm in. I joined on the Keep on Moving, and will use days of the week that I engage in some sort of tri activity. I also joined the good eats to make sure I am bringing breakfast to work and to drink enough water during the day.

With that said, day one was a big FAIL. My wife had a follow up eye appointment Friday and found out she needed to have emergency retina surgery yesterday. We drove to the big city for that, so we left early and got home late. Turns out no surgery needed. Doctor here thought her retina was detaching from the eye, which is a huge problem. Turns out the retina is completely attached, but she has a rare condition where the layers of the retina begin separating from themselves. It's in more of a wait and see if it changes more for now - she may have had this for years and not known - but no corrective action to take for now. But it definitely derailed day one of the JoGo for me.
2022-01-11 5:17 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by JBacarella I'm in GOJO. MD said I needed to aggressively modify my diet to less that 200 mg cholesterol and 30 g of fat per day.

HAHA, unfortunately I've adapted to the fat part too well.
2022-01-11 5:27 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Expert
Originally posted by alaskatri

Originally posted by canadarn2001

NAME: Leanne

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: My word of the year is "Joy". So...I have decided to do all things that truly bring me joy. Now that I am older I have figured this out. Joy for me is moving my body, setting and accomplishing my personal goals. I love doing anything outside that involves movement! Obviously my #1 goal for this year is finishing Umstead 100.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I love cheering others on and seeing people achieve their goals and become the best versions of themselves!

Welcome Leanne. My wife actually does an annual word, and had "joy" as hers a few years ago. I think that might have been her first year doing it actually. She kept a daily journal/log of things that her brought her joy that day. She found it pretty beneficial.

I have a cousin who posts daily something that has brought her joy that day. It started as a 1 year thing as part of her healing from an ugly divorce with an emotionally abusive spouse (plus he liked spaghetti sauce from a jar). She has found it so therapeutic that she has been doing it for almost 2 years. It is amazing how dedicated focus on being happy helps mental health.

2022-01-12 7:12 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by canadarn2001 NAME: Leanne GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: My word of the year is "Joy". So...I have decided to do all things that truly bring me joy. Now that I am older I have figured this out. Joy for me is moving my body, setting and accomplishing my personal goals. I love doing anything outside that involves movement! Obviously my #1 goal for this year is finishing Umstead 100. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I love cheering others on and seeing people achieve their goals and become the best versions of themselves!

Part of me wants to get a five-year journal (where if I look at today, I see on this date last year/next year). I think that it would be interesting.  But I also know that I wouldn't keep up with it.  Not sure that it would send up sparking joy, as it were.

2022-01-12 7:12 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella

You know that I was just teasing you. I love that you are working on this with MD.

2022-01-12 7:14 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by canadarn2001 NAME: Leanne GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: My word of the year is "Joy". So...I have decided to do all things that truly bring me joy. Now that I am older I have figured this out. Joy for me is moving my body, setting and accomplishing my personal goals. I love doing anything outside that involves movement! Obviously my #1 goal for this year is finishing Umstead 100. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I love cheering others on and seeing people achieve their goals and become the best versions of themselves!
I have a cousin who posts daily something that has brought her joy that day. It started as a 1 year thing as part of her healing from an ugly divorce with an emotionally abusive spouse (plus he liked spaghetti sauce from a jar). She has found it so therapeutic that she has been doing it for almost 2 years. It is amazing how dedicated focus on being happy helps mental health.

That's so cool! 

2022-01-12 7:16 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Happy Monday, Manatees!

I'm in. I joined on the Keep on Moving, and will use days of the week that I engage in some sort of tri activity. I also joined the good eats to make sure I am bringing breakfast to work and to drink enough water during the day. With that said, day one was a big FAIL. My wife had a follow up eye appointment Friday and found out she needed to have emergency retina surgery yesterday. We drove to the big city for that, so we left early and got home late. Turns out no surgery needed. Doctor here thought her retina was detaching from the eye, which is a huge problem. Turns out the retina is completely attached, but she has a rare condition where the layers of the retina begin separating from themselves. It's in more of a wait and see if it changes more for now - she may have had this for years and not known - but no corrective action to take for now. But it definitely derailed day one of the JoGo for me.

Wow!  Retinas are nothing to mess with. I hope that everything remains stable for a good long time -- like forever.

2022-01-12 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Happy Monday, Manatees!

I'm in. I joined on the Keep on Moving, and will use days of the week that I engage in some sort of tri activity. I also joined the good eats to make sure I am bringing breakfast to work and to drink enough water during the day. With that said, day one was a big FAIL. My wife had a follow up eye appointment Friday and found out she needed to have emergency retina surgery yesterday. We drove to the big city for that, so we left early and got home late. Turns out no surgery needed. Doctor here thought her retina was detaching from the eye, which is a huge problem. Turns out the retina is completely attached, but she has a rare condition where the layers of the retina begin separating from themselves. It's in more of a wait and see if it changes more for now - she may have had this for years and not known - but no corrective action to take for now. But it definitely derailed day one of the JoGo for me.

Wow!  Retinas are nothing to mess with. I hope that everything remains stable for a good long time -- like forever.

Agree! I think taking care of this was more important than the JoGo. Life happens. Pick up and move on to the next day. Glad to hear she's okay though. 

2022-01-12 10:14 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Orlando

Happy Hump Day manatees!

2 things on my mind this wonderful to be in Florida day ,  one tri related the other not so much.

Did anyone else get the email from WTC that they are now live with Ful Gaz ? They gave a code for a 90-day try-out.   I signed up just to see how it differs from Rouvy. Rouvy had the IM branded courses, but with the move, they lost the ability to call them that, though I think they are still on the site (I need to confirm if they are the official version or ones uploaded by users).  Of course , currently neither of the Choo courses have made it to Ful Gaz which is disappointing. Anyway, it looks like a cool site, so just wondering who else may be checking it out .

The other issue - who's playing Wordle?!  I just started a few days ago and am addicted. That is all. 

2022-01-12 11:49 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Happy Hump Day manatees!

2 things on my mind this wonderful to be in Florida day ,  one tri related the other not so much.

Did anyone else get the email from WTC that they are now live with Ful Gaz ? They gave a code for a 90-day try-out.   I signed up just to see how it differs from Rouvy. Rouvy had the IM branded courses, but with the move, they lost the ability to call them that, though I think they are still on the site (I need to confirm if they are the official version or ones uploaded by users).  Of course , currently neither of the Choo courses have made it to Ful Gaz which is disappointing. Anyway, it looks like a cool site, so just wondering who else may be checking it out .

The other issue - who's playing Wordle?!  I just started a few days ago and am addicted. That is all. 

i just had to look up fulgaz. Let me know how you like it. I liked Rouvey when I used it. NO! Wordle is addictive. I need to resist.
2022-01-12 1:48 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Happy Hump Day manatees!

You are the second person that I know who have said that Wordle is addictive!

I know that FulGaz has gotten good reviews from the technology standpoint, the sticking point being lack of users. In this article, it sounds like the official courses are going to disappear from Rouvy.

It looks like FulGaz is a tiny bit less expensive than Rouvy too.  For now, I mean, Ironman...

2022-01-12 2:37 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Happy Hump Day manatees!

I know that FulGaz has gotten good reviews from the technology standpoint, the sticking point being lack of users. In this article, it sounds like the official courses are going to disappear from Rouvy.

It looks like FulGaz is a tiny bit less expensive than Rouvy too.  For now, I mean, Ironman...

It looks like Rouvy still has the courses, they are just listed under general triathlon rather than IM branded. 

You should try wordle!

2022-01-12 6:54 PM

User image

Expert

You know that I was just teasing you. I love that you are working on this with MD.

Nope I picked that up and thought it was funny. It's been neat to work with her. I like that she overexplains things to me. I really want to understand what is happening and why. The only problem is when she is with her boyfriend and our son and they start talking sciency, I get lost, because I don't understand the language. I keep rolling them back and having them explain it like they are talking to a child.

2022-01-12 6:56 PM

User image

Expert

Happy Hump Day manatees!

It looks like Rouvy still has the courses, they are just listed under general triathlon rather than IM branded. 

You should try wordle!

I was looking at the FulGaz website. It kind of looks like the trainer road videos. I might try the free trial after my trial week next week. My concern is I thought Trainer road was boring.
2022-01-12 7:28 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Happy Hump Day manatees!

You should try wordle!

I was looking at the FulGaz website. It kind of looks like the trainer road videos. I might try the free trial after my trial week next week. My concern is I thought Trainer road was boring.

I believe The workouts look like trainer road when you look at them, but once selected they are put into the filmed rides. So your workout is in the alps or some other pretty place.

2022-01-13 9:54 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I literally laughed out loud at this!!
2022-01-13 9:57 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Randee, when you get back to CT, I'd love to hear about the Disney half marathon! We want to see that castle picture!

Well I am back. Had a great time. Weather was 50s in the am and got into the 70s by mid day. Land at 11:30pm Sunday night so Monday was rough. Can't believe it's Thursday already.

You would never know we're in the middle of a pandemic with 13,000 finishers in the half. I feel fine but got tested yesterday anyway (no results yet) as I'm trying to do the right thing and I haven't gone to the office yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

I've attached the castle pic and a pic of me and my cousin. Can you tell what my costume is?

(15964158-a6b6-4d37-9dd0-84a67f45b1d7.jpg)

(7a6a4020-96cb-430f-8340-95d50086b31b.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
15964158-a6b6-4d37-9dd0-84a67f45b1d7.jpg (47KB - 9 downloads)
7a6a4020-96cb-430f-8340-95d50086b31b.jpg (78KB - 10 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 26576 Posts: 1069

2022-12-30 6:00 AM jmhpsu93