BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2022-08-12 10:33 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022
Vietnam 70.3 is actually not a bad race, aside from the porta-potties and the heat. The start/finish is at a beautiful beach resort and there are plenty of clean toilets there, just not ones that you can quickly access just before or during the race. They have wonderful swag and post-race festivities, and it attracts athletes from all over SE Asia (locals and ex-pats). It would be a very fast course if not for the heat. Nearly flat bike course, and totally flat run. But you do need to be able to deal with potentially tough ocean swim conditions, heat, humidity, and no shade.That won't change even if they do figure out the potties!

The Calgary bike course this year, according to the race info, had 3900 feet of climbing. The course is actually 3 miles short as they simply didn't have enough paved road (basically, it was a lot of out and back to the end of the pavement in ranch country). Each year I've done the race, it's had quite a bit of climbing, but I think that is a record in terms of not only total feet but almost complete lack of anything that wasn't steep hills!

2022-08-12 2:08 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

August 13-14
Janyne - NCBC Summer Rally 100k

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

2022-08-12 2:26 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

August 13-14

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

You are a bike riding machine! Go, go, go!!

2022-08-12 2:48 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Racing Manatees!!!

August 13-14

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

You are a bike riding machine! Go, go, go!!

Nah, it's just a club ride that I had to pay for ;-

It's a nice route.

2022-08-12 5:41 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I am planning on doing one of those next weekend--Blackberry Bramble 100K--as a supported training day. Club ride for charity so $$ but there are drink stations, a lunch stop, plus beer, cobbler, and ice cream at the end. Quality time with Andreas tomorrow to get in some race-intensity work. (I have one more left--Washington 70.3 in September.)
2022-08-15 11:22 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Racing Manatees!!!

August 13-14

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

I did a 1-hour lactate threshold run challenge on Saturday.  It was a group run that 5-6 of the Houston area running clubs participated in.  The goal for the top group was to run 10-miles in under an hour and the goal for everyone else was to run as far as you could in an hour. I finished 9.3 miles.  There were about a dozen guys that made the 10 miles.

That is me in the red shirt as we kicked off at 6AM sharp.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/144146/posts/21658012

2022-08-15 12:19 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner I am planning on doing one of those next weekend--Blackberry Bramble 100K--as a supported training day. Club ride for charity so $$ but there are drink stations, a lunch stop, plus beer, cobbler, and ice cream at the end. Quality time with Andreas tomorrow to get in some race-intensity work. (I have one more left--Washington 70.3 in September.)

Sound fun. Love the name!

2022-08-15 12:20 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Racing Manatees!!!

August 13-14

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

I did a 1-hour lactate threshold run challenge on Saturday.  It was a group run that 5-6 of the Houston area running clubs participated in.  The goal for the top group was to run 10-miles in under an hour and the goal for everyone else was to run as far as you could in an hour. I finished 9.3 miles.  There were about a dozen guys that made the 10 miles.

Nice photo!

I'm not sure if this sounds fun, exactly.  I mean, afterward, sure, but during? ;-)

2022-08-15 1:10 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

August 13-14

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Nice photo!

I'm not sure if this sounds fun, exactly.  I mean, afterward, sure, but during? ;-)

Wow, that is something else! Something very hurty!

2022-08-15 1:13 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner I am planning on doing one of those next weekend--Blackberry Bramble 100K--as a supported training day. Club ride for charity so $$ but there are drink stations, a lunch stop, plus beer, cobbler, and ice cream at the end. Quality time with Andreas tomorrow to get in some race-intensity work. (I have one more left--Washington 70.3 in September.)

I thought the western north carolina ride that Janyne and I did on 8/6 was well supported, but now I feel gypped! No beer, no cobbler, no ice cream, no special lunch stop! 

2022-08-15 1:17 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I thought the western north carolina ride that Janyne and I did on 8/6 was well supported, but now I feel gypped! No beer, no cobbler, no ice cream, no special lunch stop! 

Oh, come on! They had PB&J. What more do you want.

2022-08-15 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

For the cost of their rides I would like: beer, cobbler, ice cream, and a special lunch spot  I think CNC has gotten a bit stingy on their offerings. The first one I did (Bryson City) they had a lot more goodies!

2022-08-15 1:48 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

For the cost of their rides I would like: beer, cobbler, ice cream, and a special lunch spot  I think CNC has gotten a bit stingy on their offerings. The first one I did (Bryson City) they had a lot more goodies!

I agree. No swag or goodies or even a tee shirt that fit. They said to contact them after the ride about the shirt and implied that they would make it right. I contacted them and they were like, tough luck.   I told my Raleigh area ride peeps that the ride was good but spendy and I would never do it if I had to get a hotel for it.

They never have a post ride anything because the want you to spend money in the town. 

2022-08-15 2:13 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I agree. No swag or goodies or even a tee shirt that fit. They said to contact them after the ride about the shirt and implied that they would make it right. I contacted them and they were like, tough luck.   I told my Raleigh area ride peeps that the ride was good but spendy and I would never do it if I had to get a hotel for it.

They never have a post ride anything because the want you to spend money in the town. 

God point about why they have no post-ride stuff! I agree, I enjoy the rides, but will only do them when I stay for free!

2022-08-15 4:38 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Racing Manatees!!!

August 13-14

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Nice photo!

Wow, that is something else! Something very hurty!

It really wasn't that bad. We did the challenge on a 3 mile loop dirt path.  The first loop I was relaxed, feeling good, talking to people, etc.  It started to get tough about 4 miles into it and instead of killing myself to maintain an even pace I just kept the effort equal.  I finished at a 40 sec/mi pace slower than I had started. It was not a PR effort but I got an average HR of 162 BPM with is right on target with the 161 BPM that got for my estimated LTHR the two times I have done a 30-minute LTHR run test. My Maximum HR was 182 which is 10 BPM higher than what I have ever seen in a race, Time Trial, or Threshold test but where my estimated maximum HR is listed to be.  VO2_max intervals on the bike hurt worse than this did.  

2022-08-16 11:04 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not sure what is on offer for lunch, actually. I'll let you know! There is also a century and I almost feel like I should have signed up for that to justify all the food and drink and the cost (the price was the same for 62 and 100 mile rides, cheaper for 20 and 40 mile routes without the lunch). But maybe better to check what lunch is, first!

It's blackberry season in Oregon and nearby parts. They're out everywhere, you can pick for free on any public land (and private lands where the owners don't care), and it's prickly--thus the Bramble. There is also a wine country ride north of us (near where Oregon 70.3 goes) which features a BBQ and wine at the end.

2022-08-16 1:23 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Not sure what is on offer for lunch, actually. I'll let you know! There is also a century and I almost feel like I should have signed up for that to justify all the food and drink and the cost (the price was the same for 62 and 100 mile rides, cheaper for 20 and 40 mile routes without the lunch). But maybe better to check what lunch is, first! It's blackberry season in Oregon and nearby parts. They're out everywhere, you can pick for free on any public land (and private lands where the owners don't care), and it's prickly--thus the Bramble. There is also a wine country ride north of us (near where Oregon 70.3 goes) which features a BBQ and wine at the end.

And all we get is PB&J and mini Cokes!

2022-08-18 9:15 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Not sure what is on offer for lunch, actually. I'll let you know! There is also a century and I almost feel like I should have signed up for that to justify all the food and drink and the cost (the price was the same for 62 and 100 mile rides, cheaper for 20 and 40 mile routes without the lunch). But maybe better to check what lunch is, first!

It's blackberry season in Oregon and nearby parts. They're out everywhere, you can pick for free on any public land (and private lands where the owners don't care), and it's prickly--thus the Bramble. There is also a wine country ride north of us (near where Oregon 70.3 goes) which features a BBQ and wine at the end.

Just few more reasons to visit Oregon!
2022-08-18 11:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Hi!  Yup, still alive, just not posting in our group thread much these days as I've been fairly busy.

Today's crazy thought: do a 50K run next year when I turn (cough cough) 50.  It's a trail race and in Oct, I think.  Of course the points to consider: I have gained weight (up 20 lbs from the weight I was most typically racing at when I was racing and note that that is still an overweight weight), I have not been running consistently (read: at all, lately), and I have arthritis in both knees.  Am I truly nuts?

Edit: I realize this group may not be the best voice of reason (DOOOO EEEEET is our motto, after all

Another edit adding race website link: http://www.bluescruiseultra.com/

Edited by melbo55 2022-08-18 12:20 PM
2022-08-18 11:37 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Hi!  Yup, still alive, just not posting in our group thread much these days as I've been fairly busy.

Today's crazy thought: do a 50K run next year when I turn (cough cough) 50.  It's a trail race and in Oct, I think.  Of course the points to consider: I have gained weight (up 20 lbs from the weight I was most typically racing at when I was racing and note that that is still an overweight weight), I have not been running consistently (read: at all, lately), and I have arthritis in both knees.  Am I truly nuts?

Edit: I realize this group may not be the best voice of reason (DOOOO EEEEET is our motto, after all

Of course DOOOO EEEEET!

Points in its favor: you have over a year to train; trails are easier on the joints than the  road (ok, you'll most likely train on roads, but still); over that time you can get the weight off sensibly which will make your knees feel better; my experience with an arthritic knee is that movement is better -YMMV; having a big event on the calendar can keep you motivated and a bit scared;  and a 50k is a fun way to welcome in your new decade!

So to recap: DOOOO EEEEET!!

2022-08-18 12:34 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Of course DOOOO EEEEET!

Points in its favor: you have over a year to train; trails are easier on the joints than the  road (ok, you'll most likely train on roads, but still); over that time you can get the weight off sensibly which will make your knees feel better; my experience with an arthritic knee is that movement is better -YMMV; having a big event on the calendar can keep you motivated and a bit scared;  and a 50k is a fun way to welcome in your new decade!

So to recap: DOOOO EEEEET!!

+1

DOOO EEEET!!!!!

Lots of time to train.  For many folks, joints feel better with movement.

2022-08-18 12:54 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Another edit adding race website link: http://www.bluescruiseultra.com/

I love 50K!! You have my full support ))))
I cannot speak about the weight and knees.... but a year is enough to prepare as for the running. I am so excited for you!
2022-08-18 12:55 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Denver, Colorado
Also, which race, location?
2022-08-18 1:57 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by marysia83 Also, which race, location?
It's essentially a local race for me (no overnight stay necessary): Blues Cruise Ultra

2022-08-19 12:11 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

August 20
Anne - Gravel Worlds 150

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 27076 Posts: 1069

2022-12-30 6:00 AM jmhpsu93