BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2022-11-21 10:11 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723

Great job out there, Randee!  Congrats!

What did I miss?!

IMAZ

Damn, that's a big miss by me! Congrats Randi!!

We are terrible people (hangs head in shame)

Yeah, you're a real slacker

2022-11-21 1:45 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Orlando

Robin P and Janyne (and anyone else interested), Cycle North Carolina Mountain Ride 2023 is in Lake Lure.  I won't be able to do it , but you two have no excuse! 

2022-11-21 1:47 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Robin P and Janyne (and anyone else interested), Cycle North Carolina Mountain Ride 2023 is in Lake Lure.  I won't be able to do it , but you two have no excuse! 

I know! I'll be in Iceland

2022-11-21 1:59 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I know! I'll be in Iceland

Ok, I guess you have a valid excuse.

2022-11-21 2:30 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

What did I miss?!

IMAZ

Well done Randee!!
2022-11-21 2:32 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I guess ill have to do it. I know where I will stay! (Anyone else who wants to come and stay - house is free, cabins get a friend and family discount)

2022-11-21 4:12 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Ooooohhhhhh

2022-11-21 4:25 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by ceilidh

I guess ill have to do it. I know where I will stay! (Anyone else who wants to come and stay - house is free, cabins get a friend and family discount)

I can sherpa and  cheer if the weekend fits my schedule

2022-11-22 7:05 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by QueenZipp

YES!!! And there is wonderful hiking in the area, too! Not to mention the lake.
2022-11-22 7:56 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

What did I miss?!

IMAZ

Well done Randee!!

This one snuck up on us.  Congratulations Randee.

How was the course?  When I was out there in February for the Kiwami Tri Team camp I got to ride parts of the bike course and run parts of the run course.  I like the running area around the Tempe Town Lake.  That was a buzzing area all week with lots of people out walking, running, cycling, etc.  All the large cactus along the highways were cool because I had never been anywhere that had those before.  I didn't like the roads in the section I was on though.  I am partial to smooth roads and there were seems in the road every 25 feet to where the bike when bump, bump, bump, bump all the way.  I didn't do any swimming in the lake.  I heard that the water is pretty nasty, but that description can probably be applied to most OWS.  

2022-11-22 8:06 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

What did I miss?!

IMAZ

HAHA No worries - I was trying to fly under the radar!

Here's my unofficial race report:
Swim: Wind was GUSTY in the am which made the lake super choppy. The water temp was 60.5. Everyone complained about water quality - all I can say is it was like Williamsburg where you couldn't see the swimmer in front of you. But I (unintentionally) drank some of it and **knockonwood** two days later I feel fine. In fact, gut wise, I feel better than any of my last 4! The water temp wasn't really an issue until I got out and couldn't feel my hands. Thank GOD for the volunteers in the tent to help us dress.

Bike: Yep the roads absolutely sucked. So the wind stayed with us all the way through the bike. 19 milish out and back loops (3x37) so for the first half the wind was in your face. The last 7 miles on the beeline highway it was a false flat incline. I watched my spedometer hang between 9-11MPH. Then you hit the turn around and flew back into town between 21-27mph. HOWEVER, the road was TERRIBLE and the chatter beat the snot out of you. I didn't care though - I needed to make up the lost time so I death gripped it. Ending avg was only around 16mph and my avg power was just under 100!!!

Run - mostly on concrete and I found that really hard on the body. However, I felt pretty good and steady right through special needs. About a half mile after that I caught my training partner and friend - SHE was having a rough day and said she was walking the rest. I figure I had nothing to prove and was in no danger of DNF so we stuck together. So much better to walk with a friend for 3 hours than to run alone for 2.5 IMO.

So not my best, not my worst. on to CDA!

2022-11-22 8:07 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Trying to imagine what the routes could look like and what I've come up with is ...hard!

2022-11-22 8:12 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

What did I miss?!

IMAZ

HAHA No worries - I was trying to fly under the radar! Here's my unofficial race report: Swim: Wind was GUSTY in the am which made the lake super choppy. The water temp was 60.5. Everyone complained about water quality - all I can say is it was like Williamsburg where you couldn't see the swimmer in front of you. But I (unintentionally) drank some of it and **knockonwood** two days later I feel fine. In fact, gut wise, I feel better than any of my last 4! The water temp wasn't really an issue until I got out and couldn't feel my hands. Thank GOD for the volunteers in the tent to help us dress. Bike: Yep the roads absolutely sucked. So the wind stayed with us all the way through the bike. 19 milish out and back loops (3x37) so for the first half the wind was in your face. The last 7 miles on the beeline highway it was a false flat incline. I watched my spedometer hang between 9-11MPH. Then you hit the turn around and flew back into town between 21-27mph. HOWEVER, the road was TERRIBLE and the chatter beat the snot out of you. I didn't care though - I needed to make up the lost time so I death gripped it. Ending avg was only around 16mph and my avg power was just under 100!!! Run - mostly on concrete and I found that really hard on the body. However, I felt pretty good and steady right through special needs. About a half mile after that I caught my training partner and friend - SHE was having a rough day and said she was walking the rest. I figure I had nothing to prove and was in no danger of DNF so we stuck together. So much better to walk with a friend for 3 hours than to run alone for 2.5 IMO. So not my best, not my worst. on to CDA!

Have you checked to see if you glow in the dark after drinking that water? Wind, cold,  terrible roads, and finishing with a friend; sounds like a full day. Congrats again!  

2022-11-22 8:32 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Trying to imagine what the routes could look like and what I've come up with is ...hard!

I know!! I'm not sure that I could do 3 days of riding that were so hilly without feeling dead.

2022-11-22 8:48 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I know!! I'm not sure that I could do 3 days of riding that were so hilly without feeling dead.

The main event is Saturday and Sunday, so just 2 days of riding which means it's really easy Actually, you don't have to ride both days and each day has different length rides, so you can pick your poison. Of the 3 times I've participated 2x I've only ridden one day. Though one of those times I did an unofficial second day, short route.  

2022-11-22 9:34 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Have you checked to see if you glow in the dark after drinking that water? Wind, cold,  terrible roads, and finishing with a friend; sounds like a full day. Congrats again!  

I have not!

I will do that tonight in the hot tub we just had installed 2 weeks ago

2022-11-22 9:36 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

The main event is Saturday and Sunday, so just 2 days of riding which means it's really easy Actually, you don't have to ride both days and each day has different length rides, so you can pick your poison. Of the 3 times I've participated 2x I've only ridden one day. Though one of those times I did an unofficial second day, short route.  

Good to know, I told John about it last night. I definitely want to come, possibly take part in one official day of riding. 

2022-11-22 10:55 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Big congrats, Randee!  Sorry the roads were total crap, that always adds a new level of stress.  And congrats on surviving the accidental drinks you took on the swim.

2022-11-23 2:37 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

What did I miss?!

IMAZ

HAHA No worries - I was trying to fly under the radar! Here's my unofficial race report: Swim: Wind was GUSTY in the am which made the lake super choppy. The water temp was 60.5. Everyone complained about water quality - all I can say is it was like Williamsburg where you couldn't see the swimmer in front of you. But I (unintentionally) drank some of it and **knockonwood** two days later I feel fine. In fact, gut wise, I feel better than any of my last 4! The water temp wasn't really an issue until I got out and couldn't feel my hands. Thank GOD for the volunteers in the tent to help us dress. Bike: Yep the roads absolutely sucked. So the wind stayed with us all the way through the bike. 19 milish out and back loops (3x37) so for the first half the wind was in your face. The last 7 miles on the beeline highway it was a false flat incline. I watched my spedometer hang between 9-11MPH. Then you hit the turn around and flew back into town between 21-27mph. HOWEVER, the road was TERRIBLE and the chatter beat the snot out of you. I didn't care though - I needed to make up the lost time so I death gripped it. Ending avg was only around 16mph and my avg power was just under 100!!! Run - mostly on concrete and I found that really hard on the body. However, I felt pretty good and steady right through special needs. About a half mile after that I caught my training partner and friend - SHE was having a rough day and said she was walking the rest. I figure I had nothing to prove and was in no danger of DNF so we stuck together. So much better to walk with a friend for 3 hours than to run alone for 2.5 IMO. So not my best, not my worst. on to CDA!

Nice job!  An I concur about walking with a friend versus running by yourself.

2022-11-23 2:39 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Good to know, I told John about it last night. I definitely want to come, possibly take part in one official day of riding. 

You'll have a blast!

Robin, you'll need to use your influence to get it back in Lake Lure in 2024! Dang!

2022-11-24 7:58 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

You'll have a blast!

Robin, you'll need to use your influence to get it back in Lake Lure in 2024! Dang!

Sadly, they rotate between locations. The best I could do is 2025.

2022-11-24 5:54 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Congrats on the IM! If I'm still alive after drinking all that water in SE Asia (including one HIM swim that was almost cancelled after a chemical spill and one that I KNOW was downstream of a sewage outlet pipe) you should be fine. I have not yet noticed that I glow in the dark. Consider it an immune system boost!

Currently doing some black Friday shopping. Took care of the swim nuts and bolts (goggles, fins). Apparently swim fin socks are a thing. Going to try them as fins always seem to bother my feet. Some people at Masters have hem. All ready to drop the ball on a cool new tri suit and then realized it was NOT on sale. Just can't justify $240. Off for more shopping!
2022-11-25 2:31 PM

Congratulations on IM Randee. Very impressive.

It's been a while since I've checked in. I went through a period of being really busy at work, and then we had our election up here. Happily, I was retained and get to keep my job for another 6 years. First time going through that and it was pretty nerve-wrecking.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Ours was mediocre. I was out of town last week working and got sick at the beginning of the week. I was really sick by the time I came home last Friday, but it was not Covid. My wife started getting sick last Friday, and on Sunday she tested positive. So we had two different illnesses going in the house. Then my son started getting sick, and I was pretty worried he got Covid from my wife since she got it from the school they both go to everyday. Turns out I think I passed my illness on to son, as he remains covid-negative. So I am now about over my sickness (almost 2 weeks' worth), my son is right in the middle of it, and wife is in isolation dealing with covid. Definitely hoping to push through the next few weeks before my daughter comes home for the holidays from college.

Hope everyone is staying healthy this holiday season.
2022-11-25 4:58 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sounds like my class lately. A few cases of Covid since our last real outbreak in Sept. (when a kid infected me) but mostly RSV, horrid stomach bugs, and now a pinkeye outbreak. I swear some kids have been absent 25-30% of the time for the past year! It seems like the same core group of kids starts each outbreak--it always starts from some get-together between families and then spreads at school. Ugh. Plus everyone decided to take their kids to Disneyland this year after, I guess, being cautious for a few years. As an elementary teacher, can tell you without a doubt that Disneyland=Covid.

Get/stay well, everyone!
2022-11-27 5:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by alaskatri ...Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. 

So...I had been planning on running the Saturday Dec. 3 St. Jude Marathon in Memphis for the past 5 months.  Training was going great up to my final long run two weeks ago which was a 21-miler with race pace and sub race training worked into it.  I ended up backing out of the Marathon though.  I have another commitment on the 3rd of December so I signed up for a Thanksgiving day 1/2 Marathon as a consolation race.  I ran a 1:20:16 to finish 1st place over all and to break the course record by 4 seconds.  Another guy on the Kiwami Triathlon Team was at the race and got a photo of us at the finish line.  We both set PR's in our races.   I was going to propose that we make the beard part of the 2023 team uniform.  :-)  I am growing mine out for a musical I have a part in. Our Tech Rehearsal is the other commitment I have on the 3rd of December.   

Edited by BlueBoy26 2022-11-27 5:12 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 26584 Posts: 1069

2022-12-30 6:00 AM jmhpsu93