BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2022-01-18 9:07 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022

I hope that everyone did well with the JoGo Challenge last week!  While I did get my workouts in last week, my steps streak unceremoniously ended with the miserable weather this weekend. Ah well...

I think that our little group has the full Manatee contingent. I've updated the roster and Strava group to reflect the active Manatees.

2022-01-18 9:17 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I know that we have some Lake Placid fans here and I wanted to share this article about the future of the event.

The town has listed some deal breakers. 

One that I find interesting is "there should be a dedicated campaign for Ironman to address issues between cyclists and drivers throughout training months leading up to the race. The campaign would include clarifying the rules of the road for athletes and motorists."  I'd be willing to bet good money that the cyclists that I ride with know more about the rules of the road than most motorists. 

In fact, I have the same issue when I go running.  Right on red does not mean "slow slightly, glance in one direction and roll through light, then get angry at pedestrian in cross walk with Walk light."  Just saying!

2022-01-18 9:50 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

I hope that everyone did well with the JoGo Challenge last week!  While I did get my workouts in last week, my steps streak unceremoniously ended with the miserable weather this weekend. Ah well...

I think that our little group has the full Manatee contingent. I've updated the roster and Strava group to reflect the active Manatees.

Other than the first day, I've hit (i think) my protein goals. I haven't updated anything yet though.  

2022-01-18 9:51 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Other than the first day, I've hit (i think) my protein goals. I haven't updated anything yet though.  

Nice!

2022-01-18 9:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

I know that we have some Lake Placid fans here and I wanted to share this article about the future of the event.

One that I find interesting is "there should be a dedicated campaign for Ironman to address issues between cyclists and drivers throughout training months leading up to the race. The campaign would include clarifying the rules of the road for athletes and motorists."  I'd be willing to bet good money that the cyclists that I ride with know more about the rules of the road than most motorists. 

In fact, I have the same issue when I go running.  Right on red does not mean "slow slightly, glance in one direction and roll through light, then get angry at pedestrian in cross walk with Walk light."  Just saying!

Yes, it is frustrating when motorists try to kill you! But, I imagine that LP gets quite busy with cyclists training on the course and if they are anything like a good percentage of cyclists around here, they take over the road and ignore lights and stop signs. So,  if they can get both sides to actually follow the law and be patient with each other, I think it's a plus.  That said, I know most motorists get unreasonably annoyed when they get behind a group of cyclists and actually have to wait :30 seconds extra before they can get around! 

ETA: Just this morning 2 motorist buzzed Teddy and me while we were running on the opposite side of the road from them I can see buzzing me, but who would want to buzz the Tedster?! He was wearing his blinking green collar as usual.

Edited by amd723 2022-01-18 9:58 AM
2022-01-18 9:57 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Yes, it is frustrating when motorists try to kill you! But, I imagine that LP gets quite busy with cyclists training on the course and if they are anything like a good percentage of cyclists around here, they take over the road and ignore lights and stop signs. So,  if they can get both sides to actually follow the law and be patient with each other, I think it's a plus.  That said, I know most motorists get unreasonably annoyed when they get behind a group of cyclists and actually have to wait :30 seconds extra before they can get around! 

Agreed. Cyclists are not blameless. Some groups do ride in large, unorganized packs rather that an organized singe or double pace line that is much more predictable to motorists.

2022-01-18 10:54 AM

Given that I had some travel last week, it turned out to be a pretty decent week for me. I've been working on getting up earlier and getting breakfast made before work too. My wife and kids have been shocked to see me out at 630 making breakfast and about ready to roll in to work.
2022-01-18 11:20 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

FYI, this appears to work now (I did get an order confirmation).  I think this is instead of covidtests.gov?

https://special.usps.com/testkits

(edited to make the link clickable)

Edited by jmkizer 2022-01-18 11:34 AM
2022-01-18 11:21 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri  Given that I had some travel last week, it turned out to be a pretty decent week for me. I've been working on getting up earlier and getting breakfast made before work too. My wife and kids have been shocked to see me out at 630 making breakfast and about ready to roll in to work.

This is awesome!

2022-01-18 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

ETA: Just this morning 2 motorist buzzed Teddy and me while we were running on the opposite side of the road from them I can see buzzing me, but who would want to buzz the Tedster?! He was wearing his blinking green collar as usual.

Definitely feel like it's both sides for sure. I know even when i am walking i am often making sure drivers make eye contact so they for sure see me at intersections. Especially when i am out with my kids. That rolling up to a red looking completely the other way is a particularly bad one and I live in a place where it's more common for people to be out walking. 

I also imagine that many visiting athletes act like the road is actually a closed race course and don't exactly follow the rules of the road. 

And in the 'country' (not in town) in particular drivers don't want to slow down even for 30 seconds for anything including safely passing people using the road recreationally.

2022-01-18 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by alaskatri  Given that I had some travel last week, it turned out to be a pretty decent week for me. I've been working on getting up earlier and getting breakfast made before work too. My wife and kids have been shocked to see me out at 630 making breakfast and about ready to roll in to work.

This is awesome!

Agree! Way to go! 

2022-01-18 11:53 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Thanks for sharing the article, Janyne.  It would be a shame for such a long-standing and gorgeous race to be exiled from this wonderful part of the world.  It's upsetting enough that they did away with the 70.3.

2022-01-18 11:56 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

FYI, this appears to work now (I did get an order confirmation).  I think this is instead of covidtests.gov?

Thanks for the link! Ordered and hoped not needed!!

ETA: I have 2 boxes (so 4 tests) that I bought when they were actually available as well as the PCR test kit that Novavax gave me when I signed up for the trial, so when these come I will be well and truly covered!

Edited by amd723 2022-01-18 11:57 AM
2022-01-19 7:11 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

ETA: I have 2 boxes (so 4 tests) that I bought when they were actually available as well as the PCR test kit that Novavax gave me when I signed up for the trial, so when these come I will be well and truly covered!

Damn you. I now am a wordle addict.
2022-01-19 7:41 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh

Yes! I'm so happy someone else has joined me in the addiction

2022-01-19 8:16 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

me too.

**sigh**

2022-01-19 8:22 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

me too. **sigh**

Manatee Wordle! I completed it already today. 

2022-01-19 12:04 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

me too. **sigh**

I enjoy it, too, but got busy and missed a few days.  Today is done with a win!

2022-01-19 1:51 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by melbo55

me too. **sigh**

Today in 3.
2022-01-19 3:08 PM

Well, the inevitable happened. My kid has COVID. We all mask and are vaxxed, but she is by far the diligent one of the family, quite often to the point of irrationality where we have to talk her off the ledge re what others are doing. "You just do you, that's all you can worry about," those sorts of talks. Numbers going way up here though, my wife teaches at a pretty small school, and they are about to go remote b/c such a high percentage of staff is out. The rest of the family is currently negative, but we'll see if that holds.
2022-01-19 3:09 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

me too. **sigh**

Today in 3.
abd another 3 today. It is the dirst time in over a year I could "run" 3 miles!

2022-01-19 3:13 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

me too. **sigh**

Today in 3.

me too!

2022-01-19 3:14 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by alaskatri Well, the inevitable happened. My kid has COVID. We all mask and are vaxxed, but she is by far the diligent one of the family, quite often to the point of irrationality where we have to talk her off the ledge re what others are doing. "You just do you, that's all you can worry about," those sorts of talks. Numbers going way up here though, my wife teaches at a pretty small school, and they are about to go remote b/c such a high percentage of staff is out. The rest of the family is currently negative, but we'll see if that holds.

Sorry your daughter is sick and hope her symptoms are mild and resolve quickly. This virus is wiley!

2022-01-19 3:29 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by alaskatri Well, the inevitable happened. My kid has COVID. We all mask and are vaxxed, but she is by far the diligent one of the family, quite often to the point of irrationality where we have to talk her off the ledge re what others are doing. "You just do you, that's all you can worry about," those sorts of talks. Numbers going way up here though, my wife teaches at a pretty small school, and they are about to go remote b/c such a high percentage of staff is out. The rest of the family is currently negative, but we'll see if that holds.
Dang, sorry to hear that.  Hopefully she recovers quickly and fully and the rest of the family stays healthy.

2022-01-19 4:56 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm so sorry to hear that covid is in the house.  I'm glad to hear that you and your family is vaccinated. Hopefully that will provide something like when you get the flu even after getting the flu shot.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 27037 Posts: 1069

2022-12-30 6:00 AM jmhpsu93