General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Overweight, 49 years old, how to get back to it? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2022-01-26 3:04 PM

Subject: Overweight, 49 years old, how to get back to it?
Hey all,

I'm not a first timer, I've done a few olympic tri's and a half iron man and four marathons. I was two weeks out from marathon number five when Covid hit. I kept running but ended up injured and took a break. I've got two young kids so time hasn't been great. Now it's been almost six months since i've done any running, I've gained 35 pounds since covid hit. I feel like crap, but I've had enough and want to get back to it.

Any advice on a timeline? I feel a bit intimidated about getting back in shape at 49 after this layoff. But I need a goal. Gyms are boring and nothing really matches the sense of accomplishment of crossing the finish line in a hard endurance event.

Where to start? Eat better, sure, but where is a good starting point. With this weight running doesn't seem like a great idea. I'd love to hear from any older athletes that can relate or have gotten back to it.

Thanks!
Gabe

2022-01-27 6:20 AM
in reply to: gaber89

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Overweight, 49 years old, how to get back to it?
I was not able to run for about a year and starting walking. You'd be amazing at how fit you can get walking (at a good clip). I do ultra's and walking is part of my training. I even do intervals.

My advice...set a small goal and go from there. Even it's just a weekly goal of getting in 3 x 30 minute walks a week or a certain number of miles like 3 miles a day + 30 minute strength routine. I guess all depends on how much time you have to devote to working out.

Hope this helps!

Leanne
2022-01-28 5:59 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Based on the racing you've already done, you probably have a good bit of muscle memory + mental toughness. IOW, your body already knows how to handle the load, especially if you start slowly. Make some goals to start that you know you can achieve and then take that first step..

Good luck and let us know how it's going!
2022-01-28 8:52 AM
in reply to: alltom1

User image

DC
Originally posted by alltom1

Based on the racing you've already done, you probably have a good bit of muscle memory + mental toughness. IOW, your body already knows how to handle the load, especially if you start slowly. Make some goals to start that you know you can achieve and then take that first step..

Good luck and let us know how it's going!

This... 100%. But I don't agree with setting goals... not right now at least.

I'm 46, 2 IMs, several marathons, etc but covid hit/depression sunk in &, while I didn't gain weight, I am getting back into it as well. Swift is my friend (I have a smart trainer). Plus, I'm running 3-6 miles (rather than the normal 10+ miles I would normally run). If I have to walk during the run, I do. If I intended to run 6 miles but am not into it, I'll run 3. End of the day, I totally feel my body "remembering" longer distance running. Your body will too!

Maybe just leave the watch home & take this opportunity to remember how good you feel when you exercise. I think only then is when I would think of setting goals.
2022-01-28 1:07 PM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Specific to running - the run/walk will be a good friend for getting back into it gradually. If you need start with the Couch to 5k style. I have used run walk several times after coming back after some time off (sprained ankle, pregnancy, etc) - works great. And as mentioned, you have muscle memory there - but you have to start with where you are and my experience is that it can take a while to let go of what you 'used to do'. 

2022-01-29 5:21 PM

User image

Delaware

I am 61.  It gets harder to lose the weight every year.  I train for various events, mostly triathlon up until Sept then its down hill for a few months.  I was 234 at the end of December and now weigh in at 222.  My goal is always to get back to 190 and I always do.  I use Weight Watchers.  I can pretty much guarantee that it will work.  I will be back to 190 by the end of April.  As for the training I understand its harder when you are heavy so take it slow and easy.  Its great how much more efficiently you can train as the weight comes off.  Thats my story.  Good luck to you just don't give up.

2022-01-31 9:27 AM
in reply to: trinunya

User image

DC
Originally posted by trinunya

I am 61.  It gets harder to lose the weight every year.  I train for various events, mostly triathlon up until Sept then its down hill for a few months.  I was 234 at the end of December and now weigh in at 222.  My goal is always to get back to 190 and I always do.  I use Weight Watchers.  I can pretty much guarantee that it will work.  I will be back to 190 by the end of April.  As for the training I understand its harder when you are heavy so take it slow and easy.  Its great how much more efficiently you can train as the weight comes off.  Thats my story.  Good luck to you just don't give up.

61 & still racing... nice! For me & the OP, when you say it's harder to lose weight & using WW, do you otherwise watch what you eat?
2022-01-31 5:25 PM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Delaware

I follow the Weight Watchers program.  The Smart Point system pretty much makes you watch what you eat.  It take a week or two to get used to but then it gets easy and the weight comes off fast especially when you are workout out several times a week.  Its 20 bucks a month and really worth it.  Let me know if you need any more info.  

2022-02-01 12:25 PM
in reply to: trinunya

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by trinunya

I can't imagine having a regular seasonal weight swing like that.  Mine is more like 10-12 pounds and even then it's more of a "distribution" thing vs. actual weight.  I can drop from my usual 205 to 198 no problem - it's getting down into the low 190s that is tough for me and like you're mentioning totally dependent on diet which admittedly I'm lousy at tracking (or doing anything about it LOL). 

2022-02-02 12:35 AM

fgj
2022-02-02 12:06 PM

Thanks Everyone! I appreciate the feedback and encouragement. I'm gonna ease into it, but gotta start somewhere!

2022-02-15 6:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Early summer 2011, 49 years old 250 lbs.
My son did a sprint tri for fun.
I'd been riding my recumbent bike to work so I thought what the hell...

I did the Carlsbad sprint tri....
I borrowed my wifes bike (it really did not fit....my knees hit the handle bars)
It was kinda fun I walked the whole 5K
3 weeks later I sold my recumbent and bought a tri bike.

Prior to this point (age 49) The farthest I'd ever run was 1 mile fitness test in high school.
That fall I did the couch to 5K plan and started a serious low carb diet.

In June 2012 I finished the local RocknRoll half marathon!
On the day of my 50th Birthday in September 2012 I finished the Augusta 70.3 at 200 lbs.

I did the Oceanside 70.3 the next spring.... started serious training to do a full ironman...

In fall of 2013 I ran the Half moon bay full marathon. (Thought the full marathon was way harder than the 70.3's)

In January 2014 I crashed my bike hard and slid on my face, broke my nose, a tooth and ground off my chin so the
bone was sticking out. (did not get on bike again for 5+ years)

2016 I did the Rock n Roll half again it was ugly.

In 2017 I had a full shoulder replacement. (Related to old college injury not the bike crash)
Took 18mo til itss feeling good...

I did not get on the bike again until 2019.

Signed up for 2020 Oceanside 70.3 Covid canceled it.

2020 lost 30 lbs down to 209 again, started training hard... got covid in December was really sick
fell off the food wagon gained the 30 lbs again.

Been training consistently since fall of 2021.

2022: I'm now at 230 lbs again and training to do the oceanside 70.3 in 6 weeks April 2nd.
The Goal is only to finish.

I've signed up for the California Full October 23rd.
3 weeks after my 60th birthday.

I figure doing the full ironman at age 60 is a pretty good way to say FU to father time.

So yeah DFL is better than DNF is waaaaaay better than DNS.

I call myself "Team DLF"

Either I'm stubborn or stupid (probably both) but you can do this.

2022-04-06 1:48 PM
in reply to: pbreed

User image

Veteran
I finished the Oceanside 70.3!
I wasn't last in my age group. (M60-64)
You can do it.

2022-04-13 10:19 AM

Originally posted by pbreed

Early summer 2011, 49 years old 250 lbs.
My son did a sprint tri for fun.
I'd been riding my recumbent bike to work so I thought what the hell...

I did the Carlsbad sprint tri....
I borrowed my wifes bike (it really did not fit....my knees hit the handle bars)
It was kinda fun I walked the whole 5K
3 weeks later I sold my recumbent and bought a tri bike.

Prior to this point (age 49) The farthest I'd ever run was 1 mile fitness test in high school.
That fall I did the couch to 5K plan and started a serious low carb diet.

In June 2012 I finished the local RocknRoll half marathon!
On the day of my 50th Birthday in September 2012 I finished the Augusta 70.3 at 200 lbs.

I did the Oceanside 70.3 the next spring.... started serious training to do a full ironman...

In fall of 2013 I ran the Half moon bay full marathon. (Thought the full marathon was way harder than the 70.3's)

In January 2014 I crashed my bike hard and slid on my face, broke my nose, a tooth and ground off my chin so the
bone was sticking out. (did not get on bike again for 5+ years)

2016 I did the Rock n Roll half again it was ugly.

In 2017 I had a full shoulder replacement. (Related to old college injury not the bike crash)
Took 18mo til itss feeling good...

I did not get on the bike again until 2019.

Signed up for 2020 Oceanside 70.3 Covid canceled it.

2020 lost 30 lbs down to 209 again, started training hard... got covid in December was really sick
fell off the food wagon gained the 30 lbs again.

Been training consistently since fall of 2021.

2022: I'm now at 230 lbs again and training to do the oceanside 70.3 in 6 weeks April 2nd.
The Goal is only to finish.

I've signed up for the California Full October 23rd.
3 weeks after my 60th birthday.

I figure doing the full ironman at age 60 is a pretty good way to say FU to father time.

So yeah DFL is better than DNF is waaaaaay better than DNS.

I call myself "Team DLF"

Either I'm stubborn or stupid (probably both) but you can do this.

That's some pretty impressive stuff right there. Way to go!!!
2022-04-14 10:18 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Originally posted by pbreed

I finished the Oceanside 70.3!
I wasn't last in my age group. (M60-64)
You can do it.

Well done! Keep that momentum going..
2022-04-27 7:30 AM
in reply to: canadarn2001

Welcome back! I'm in the same boat back again after a long break. my only advice is to be humble and start out slow, your body is going to need some time to get back. don't let your ego sabotage your efforts.

look for support. find old training partners or join a local running/cycling/tri club and find folks who will support you on your journey

(and also use BT)

2022-06-21 6:08 PM
in reply to: 0

Just wanted to circle back on this post. I really appreciated the feedback and support here. I took the advice of many, started really slowly. Did walk run intervals, bike trainer, and biking. I also just walked more. I hit my step goal for 115 days in a row. I've lost 23 pounds so far. Ran 7 miles last week, did a 55 mile bike ride with 5000 feet elevation. I feel strong, and ready to go.

Now I just need to find something to train for.

Ironman has always been a bucket list item, but not sure I can manage with two kids under 5.

Either way, just wanted to appreciate the folks here and also encourage those that feel similar. It's slow, but when it hits it feels great.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/3272286

Edited by gaber89 2022-06-21 6:10 PM
2022-06-21 7:34 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by gaber89 Just wanted to circle back on this post. I really appreciated the feedback and support here. I took the advice of many, started really slowly. Did walk run intervals, bike trainer, and biking. I also just walked more. I hit my step goal for 115 days in a row. I've lost 23 pounds so far. Ran 7 miles last week, did a 55 mile bike ride with 5000 feet elevation. I feel strong, and ready to go. Now I just need to find something to train for. Ironman has always been a bucket list item, but not sure I can manage with two kids under 5. Either way, just wanted to appreciate the folks here and also encourage those that feel similar. It's slow, but when it hits it feels great. https://www.strava.com/athletes/3272286

A well executed plan.  Nicely done! 

IM isn't everything in triathlon.  Sprints are fun and competitive and if you want to test your endurance a little Olys won't destroy you (or your ability to be a parent).  Thanks for coming back and giving us an update.

2022-06-23 3:56 PM

User image

Expert
I'm 57. I work in the medical field and the Pandemic sucked all my energy both emotionally and physically, I worked upwards of 25 13+ hour shifts a month during this pandemic and all training suffered.
I'm now back at it, doing 1.5-2+++ hours a day, prepping for my next 2 IM's. I've done 25 IM's so far and plan to continue into my 60's and 70's if my body allows.
I started back slow. Even walking with intermittent jogs until now I'm back to doing 10-14 mile runs at a an improving pace. With
training' Ive lost weight (was 220#, now 199# with goal to be 185#) and this has made my run much faster and efficient. I am back to being coached as well which gives me accountability.

It's very doable. I was at first very discouraged with my run pace (was 12 min mile at beginning) but now getting back to 9 min miles on long runs.
I'm getting back to pool when I can.
Biking is going well, I've done lots of trainer rides on trainer road and outdoors on days off. Feel free to look at my logs if that helps.

Endurance sports to me is essential as it keeps me focused on things other than work. I LOVE training and it makes me feel so much better in all areas of my life. The actual race to me is just another training day with friends and a celebration of my hard work.

IF I CAN DO IT, SO CAN YOU!!! Life is short, live for the now, no reason to wait!!! Go slow at first and trust that with consistency, things will improve. Consistency is key. Even if at first it's a one mile walk, whatever. Just do it! Trust in the process that your times will improve. Age is just a number to me. I'm still hoping to get back to do Kona again (disclaimer: I got in on legacy spot, did not qualify by time).

Timeline?
I've been building up my training over last 2 months and feel as if I'm, almost back to where I was pre-pandemic. Believe in the process. I agree with not timing your paces at first, as it will only discourage.

My best to your sir!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Overweight, 49 years old, how to get back to it? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I'm back

Started by jimmyb
Views: 1210 Posts: 10

2021-11-21 8:17 PM pelarijkt

Are IM Full races happening this year..?

Started by Baowolf
Views: 784 Posts: 5

2021-07-13 11:32 PM HaydenHunter

First Back to Back races one day after the next?

Started by Jeff Maule
Views: 1089 Posts: 5

2021-03-31 5:38 PM frenzers

How long does it take for toenails to grow back?

Started by hk94
Views: 19964 Posts: 13

2021-04-23 10:09 PM albertopy