General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about winter running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2022-02-02 11:11 AM

User image

Subject: Question about winter running
Hi all! It's been a long time since I've posted but I'm still at it! I have been focusing on running this winter. I have long noticed that it seems to take a considerably higher effort level for me to maintain my pace and mileage in the cold weather. Once the temp dips below 40, I feel more tired overall, I fatigue more easily, and I have a difficult time maintaining my usual run schedule. In fact, from Dec thru Feb/March I almost never have runs over 6 miles, whereas the rest of the year I regularly run up to 10 miles. My total weekly mileage (about 30-35) doesn't dip much because I just run more frequently (6 days instead of 4). Is this normal?? Short of moving out of the Northeast, is there anything else that can be done to counteract this phenomenon?

2022-02-13 8:51 PM
in reply to: Caroleena

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Question about winter running
Sorry for late reply--work has been really busy and I don't get on the forums much these days. Cold air and particularly cold, dry air can make breathing a lot more difficult, especially if you have any issues with asthma. I think it's also harder to run quickly or efficiently as muscles take longer to "warm up" (literally) in cold weather. Add more restrictive clothing, caution about footing, and actual snow/ice to the mix and pace slows down considerably. I'm sure it varies from person to person, but I definitely run slower in winter!

We moved for two years to a place with much colder (and often very dry and windy) winter weather, and I really suffered through those winters before moving back to Oregon. After several disastrous attempts, I ended up telling my coach not to bother giving me anything more ambitious than some short pickups above steady run pace because I couldn't actually do anything else in those conditions. Probably best to use the winter for recuperation and base-building. If you really need to hit higher mileage or do speed work at that time of year (like in preparation for a spring marathon), maybe get a treadmill??
2022-02-15 9:21 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I also have issues outdoor winter running - let's face it, it sucks.  I did it just to keep my outdoor running feel and did a lot more indoors on the treadmill in Jan - mid-March and took any warmer day as an opportunity to go outside.  I did a five-mile run at about 12 degrees through the city once with all kinds of ice and frozen solid snow around and when I was done I was thinking what the hell was wrong with me? 

2022-02-15 8:51 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
This is the first year I've ever done long runs in the winter. Usually I don't have to be that well prepared for anything by April or May, so I just do short stuff. This year, though, I've been doing 9 and 10 mile long runs and it's really hard. My pace is slower. I can get it done, but my bones feel cold the rest of the day. I think creating that body heat takes a lot of energy.
And then I KNOW I don't drink enough. I don't get thirsty at all on the cold runs.

2022-02-17 10:38 PM
in reply to: Caroleena

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Caroleena Hi all! It's been a long time since I've posted but I'm still at it! I have been focusing on running this winter. I have long noticed that it seems to take a considerably higher effort level for me to maintain my pace and mileage in the cold weather. Once the temp dips below 40, I feel more tired overall, I fatigue more easily, and I have a difficult time maintaining my usual run schedule. In fact, from Dec thru Feb/March I almost never have runs over 6 miles, whereas the rest of the year I regularly run up to 10 miles. My total weekly mileage (about 30-35) doesn't dip much because I just run more frequently (6 days instead of 4). Is this normal?? Short of moving out of the Northeast, is there anything else that can be done to counteract this phenomenon?

We have hot and humid summers where I live.  Yes, I have the Garmin Badge for recording a run in temperatures over 100 deg F. So...things are the opposite for me.  In the winter when it is about 35-45 deg F I record the fastest runs that I will see all year.  Lower than about 30 degs and I start to wear too many layers of clothing to be fast.  

I am not sure why you feel more tired in 40 deg F temperatures.  It could be lots of layers of clothing slowing you down like it does for me on gold days.  It could be the shorter hours of daylight affecting you. Etc..  Running 6 days a week with a recovery run in between the hard runs should be as effective as running 4 days.  If you are running 6 days a week and not getting rest between runs that will wear you down.  

2022-03-25 10:44 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Denver, Colorado
When I used to live in Chicago, I actually loved winter runs. Mostly because I did not get overheated. I did several runs (of ~10 miles) in the temperatures of 10-20 F.
As mentioned above, the layers can make a difference. If you put too many layers, you get overheated. It's cold at the beginning, but once started running, I did not feel cold in 5-7 minutes. I put toe warmers and i was running in my summer, regular running shoes, and I was totally fine. The only thing I had to add was lots of vaseline on my nose and cheaks.
That's my experience, I do not have a helpful answer, but I was also very much used to 40 and below temperatures. I noticed, however, that I really had to make myslef go running when the weather sucked. So for me it was more mental.

2022-05-11 12:49 AM
in reply to: marysia83

asdas
2022-05-11 12:58 AM
in reply to: Crystal Sanchez

sdfsdf
2022-05-11 1:01 AM
in reply to: Christina Hamilton

User image