Pordue Tri Team
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 58m 17s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had a Clif bar & banana for breakfast. Got to the race about an hour early (30 min later than I like). Fortunately they started about 20 min late. Helped one gal out who was worrying about the bike. She was looking for tri shorts, which I wasn't able to help. But I did explain to her why it would make her life a lot easier on the hills if she took the bike lock off her seat post.
Event warmup:

Mostly just running back and forth to the car to get stuff I forgot and put back stuff I didn't want stolen. At 10 to 9 they said there would be a race meeting after at 9:15 (15 min after the scheduled start). At the race meeting they changed what wave I was in and then at the conclusion of the meeting the said, okay, we're starting in 1 min. Thanks for all the warning guys.
Swim
  • 29m 32s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Terrible start (I blame the complete lack of a swim warmup and the fact that I barely had time to get my swim cap on). I positioned myself near the front to the outside and basically said screw it, let them run over me, it'll help me stay on course better. After the first buoy I settled considerably and used the fast burners from later legs (they only started 3 min apart) to get some good drafts.
What would you do differently?:

Probably do more than 2-3 hours worth of swimming workouts in the months leading up to the race. I might actually post some pretty respectable swim times if I get out to the pool more often.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

So so. As I usually am with oly distance I was a bit shaky on my feet. This was made even tougher with the hill we have to climb into the transition area.
Bike
  • 1h 26m 30s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.24 mile/hr
Comments:

Great first 7-8 miles. Started having some GI distress and odd pains in the area of my kidneys the last 1/2 or so which really messed me up. That and the crosswinds and headwinds made me thoroughly miserable.

Not have to use Powergel instead of GU... God I hate that stuff. GU goes down so smooth and Powergel I almost have to choke down.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

GI issues had me sriously considering a DNF. I thought I was gonna s*** myself. Figured I was still in position to go sub-3 hours so I might as well go and see how it feels.
Run
  • 55m 29s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

First lap was miserable. I was positive that my insides would rupture at any moment. But I had passed one of the guys that I was racing so I didn't want to punk out.

Lap 2, the two guys I was racing with get me. Now I really don't feel like going on. But my legs don't really feel that bad and now I only feel kinda tore up in the gut. About halfway through the 2nd lap the GI issues seem to subside a bit and I realize I have a pretty decent chance at going sub 3 hours.

Lap 3, I make a run at one of my buddies but he's a track athlete by trade and I don't have the gas to run him down, but I keep him within a minute. This also keep me moving well and on pace for the sub-3 hour time. Finish strong at 2:58, and about run someone over on my way to the porta-potty.

Not much. Felt good in the legs... it's just everywhere else that sucked.
Post race
Warm down:

Cramped up, ate pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stupid powergel crap... I spit in their general direction.

Event comments:

Question to anyone else who did this... there's no way that was 6.2 right. I know I was moving okay, but there's no way I was running sub-9 min miles.

No swag at all... not even socks like the website advertised (you had to buy them). And with a USAT sanctioning I would have thought they might have brought it together a bit, but this seemed even more disorganized than last year. But for $25 I guess I can't really complain.

Last updated: 2006-09-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:32 | 1640 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: QR Farmer John
Course: Three legs around the edge of the lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:26:30 | 24.85 miles | 17.24 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: Crusing through the Indiana countryside.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:55:29 | 06.21 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: 3 laps around the lake of ALLEGEDLY 2 miles each.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-09-24 6:39 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Boilerman Triathlon

2006-09-24 8:45 PM
in reply to: #550331

Regular
NW Indiana
Subject: RE: Boilerman Triathlon
Yeah, there's NO way that was 6 miles. The guys taking the finishing sticks were saying it was a little short, but I think it was a lot short.

I thought the race was extremely dangerous. As the women's wave was getting in the water, someone in the 2nd wave was having a lot of trouble and the guys running the race just stood there. Two other racers stopped to help him and were screaming to the shore that they needed help, and it took a long time for them to decide to do anything. I was very disappointed with the fact that they had one boat out that had about 6 people in it so it was about ready to sink. There's no way they could have helped anyone in that. There were also a lot of intersections that had no volunteer there where there should have been. I really think they needed to have a police officer at that stop light to direct traffic instead of a couple college kids because half the cars weren't even paying attention to them when I went through.

Nice race...glad you stuck it out and didn't DNF. I forgot to hit my watch for the splits, so I haven't done a race report yet. Hopefully the extremely unorganized race directors will actually post them like they claim they will.
2006-09-25 7:53 AM
in reply to: #550421

User image

Elite

Wow, I didn't even realize the swim problems.  I wasn't as concerned since you were never more than 50 yards from shore for most of the race, but it's not good if you're not going to do anything to help it sort of defeats the purpose.

I got lucky at the intersection, I heard at some points they were actually stopping the bikes and letting traffic through.  They need a cop out there bad.  I remember the intersection going into that last hill not having any one there.  Lucky for me there was an understanding guy in a truck who waited to let us through. 

I know they want to keep the price down for students, but at some point they need to start thinking about safety.

If I lived out there I think I might go out with the measuring wheel.  At best I'd say it was about 5.75, probably more like 5.25-5.5.

bts

2006-09-29 11:09 AM

Elite

Great job.

How can they have a race on public streets and not even get the help of the police dept or at least the city / county workers? Amazing.

2006-10-01 8:25 PM

I used the county GIS maps (avail. online) and measured the course to be ~ 5.75 miles. It seems about right based on my finish time.

Too bad the race was poorly organized this year. I was really worried about safety on the swim and bike course.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boilerman Triathlon Rss Feed