General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » This is really happening? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2022-03-02 3:04 AM

Subject: This is really happening?
18 months ago I hated running, wanted nothing to do with bicycles, and stunk at swimming. I spend a lot of time in the ocean so I took a random swim clinic I found on Facebook. The swim coach was a fitness trainer who specializes in in triathlon training, and the clinic was so good I had to try her run clinic. Fast forward to this past weekend, I’m looking up past results for the local sprint triathlon and dreaming up times I’d need for a top 20% finish: 20min swim, 40min bike, 30min run. That’s an easy run (by itself) but I had no idea about the bike or swim.

"If I can swim 1/4 mile in 10 minutes I’m buying a bike."

I bought a bike! I was nervous whether I’d like riding, but after running and swimming I have faith my coach (OnTrack Fitness) will make it fun. I also didn’t realize how inspired I’d be just by having a nice bike! It feels a little awkward at the moment but Im excited to learn it’s manners and see what we can do together. =D

I’m happy to be here and looking forward to learning from you all. Thanks for reading!
-Joe

Edited by OnTrack Magic 2022-03-02 3:10 AM

2022-03-02 11:51 AM
in reply to: OnTrack Magic

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: This is really happening?
Welcome!

Come back and update us after the race!
And ask away - questions about bikes, clothing, anything at all.
2022-03-06 5:47 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Welcome aboard! 

Your mind is probably the biggest obstacle to overcome, and you're well on your way with a coach to keep "the old you" in check as you realize you can do far more than you thought. 

2022-05-10 6:48 PM

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately I had a small setback and have to wait until the September race. I had an ankle sprain and some other issues put me on crutches for 5 weeks, plus another few months of rehab. But the great news is I uncovered a bunch of poor walk/run habits in PT that I've been working on, so I'll be better and stronger than ever when I'm done.

Swimming has been interesting. It's by far my least favorite sport and just feels like a chore, but every time I get out of the water I see improvements. I was at about 2:40/100yds and in the past few weeks got down to 2:08/100yds. My goal was to do the 750 yds in 20 minutes and I'm down to about 18.

I haven't seen as many gains on the bike as I was expecting. As I'm writing this I'm realizing it's because we've been focused on technique and cadence, and haven't done anything like strides to build strength. My average heart rate has gone down a little and my heart rate recovery is much faster, but my overall speed hasn't changed much. But that makes sense, I don't think focusing on all out speed would have been appropriate yet.

Anyway, thanks again and I'll keep you posted with any updates.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » This is really happening? Rss Feed