Ironman
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 43m 11s
Overall Rank = 274/1148
Age Group = M60-64
Age Group Rank = 11/46
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, as usual, and did 600 calories of nutrition. Shower/BR/Dress race ready. Weather looked iffy with rain but didn't bring umbrella for DW. Brought mixed bottles to transition and put cut shoes at swim exit. My dear wife is so instrumental at helping me with all the preparation. There is always something I forgot which she gives me last minute...love that girl!
Event warmup:

Walked to swim start--it's a long way, ~2/3 mile at least. Decided not to do a w/u swim as I felt relaxed and OK. Maybe a mistake...

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/8493830531
Swim
  • 40m 39s
  • 2111 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Just wanted to get it done. Expected ~40 minutes and I started with the 36-40; right at the end of the 35's/front of 36s. That was a good spot.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/8493830531/1
What would you do differently?:

Try to pick it up a bit more. I had more in me. Try to actually draft on feet. Result was a bit disappointing.
Transition 1
  • 05m 35s
Comments:

I went fast once I got into my cut shoes as it was ~1.2 mile jog to transition. I passed a lot of people and was breathing pretty hard once at my spot, but I knew it would ease and my HR would come down with slow and steady breathing. My spot was way up near the bike out, so I had a great transition spot.

Nothing.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/8493830531/2
Bike
  • 2h 44m 19s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.45 mile/hr
Comments:

AP/NP-173/183w. Definitely got nutrition/hydration right. First time I had to pee on the bike (*and on the run). Started out with a hard rain which cheated me out of a tailwind. Then sun came out with severe 25-30 mph crosswinds and then a headwind for the final 14 miles. Launched a mix bottle at mile ~4-5. Saw more than a hundred flats. I bunny hopped the road separators/extenders which avoided some flats and caused the bottle ejection with the bumps. Views were beautiful though.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/8493830531/3

Not jump the bike so high-just enough would have worked. Also needed to stay in aero much more.

Transition 2
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

Got off the bike and ran it into the transition area. Had trouble getting my shoes on as my legs wouldn't bend. Didn't feel any cramping but felt like I had to pee again *(which I did) while running out of transition and pouring water on me to disguise it.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/8493830531/4

Nothing. I'm much better at transitions.
Run
  • 2h 10m 28s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Hot/hot/hot. Legs were sore-especially the quads from the downhills. Tolerated the Next % shoes pretty well. Had trouble walking for 2 days post event.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/8493830531/5

Train more. Do more down hills runs.
Post race
Warm down:

Wanted to die. Iced my legs. Went back to the hotel and had a terrific dinner and wine. Love DW for her help with everything. No more IM racing. Too much training. Too hard on my old body.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training/Weather-in that order, as always.

Event comments:

This is a terrific destination race! Super challenging course and you must be ready for the weather and prepare for it. Pretty flat course but still quite challenging. IM did a great job with check in, aid stations and support. Highly recommended.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2019-11-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:39 | 2111 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/46
Overall: 468/1148
Performance: Average
Started very slowly. Walked into water and just counted down from 100. Then I counted down again. Out with current easy. At the turn, tried to pick it up just slightly and hold that pace. Current was more noticeable at the bridge in the middle-better to be close to the right side of the bridge. Crossed the channel to the swim exit and climbed out.
Suit: Kiwami Sleeveless
Course: Clockwise-out away from the beach, red burn buoy, then another ~100yds away, then keep yellow sighting buoys on right back to the swim exit.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:35
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:44:19 | 56 miles | 20.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/46
Overall: 249/1148
Performance: Average
Held pace for 3/4 of the bike. Last 14 miles was slow. My back hurt and I didn't like aero.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Straight out of town with spectacular scenic views of the ocean for many miles. After about ~14 miles straight, this is followed by an out and back into the city then a loop back out to the out/back and come all the way back into town.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:10:28 | 13.1 miles | 09m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/46
Overall: 391/1148
Performance: Below average
First 3/4 of the run went well, then I hit the wall. I did struggle with the downhills again, as I had not trained for them. Quads were very sore from them. Less problem with the up hills with strategic walking to keep HR down.
Course: 2 laps starting from transition then jog out to old San Juan and go to the far side of the fort. Hit the turn around and enjoy the 'microwave' since there is no wind and the sun is blazing by then. Go up the rolling hills and make your way back to transition. Then, do it again. I had 2 ice packs with me that I used in the first 3 miles as they did not last very long at all.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2022-04-04 11:32 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: IM Puerto Rico

2022-04-05 6:14 AM
in reply to: #5280559

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Subject: RE: IM Puerto Rico
Well done! Early season racing adds a whole other wrinkle of difficulty but this looks like a great day in tough conditions..
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » IM Puerto Rico Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Puerto Rico

Started by [email protected]
Views: 447 Posts: 1

2022-04-01 11:56 AM [email protected]