Running Room
5C / 41F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 29m 48s
Overall Rank = 107/1164
Age Group = Men 40-49
Age Group Rank = 24/154
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 a.m. with a sore throat. Went downstairs and gargled with some warm salt water. Went back to bed.

Got up at 6:30 feeling more tired than I was at 4:30 a.m. Had a tall glass of orange juice with 3 slices of bagel with peanut butter. Normally need to go for a poo soon after my bagel but no movement this morning. Drat. Probably should have had more to eat for supper the night before but supper was rushed as the kids had swimming lessons.
Event warmup:

Kept on my long pants and sweatshirt until about 20 minutes before the start. Jogged a few hundred yards and then did some stretching. My right calf has been stiffening up on my of late so paid particular attention to stretching it out.
Run
  • 1h 29m 48s
  • 19 kms
  • 04m 44s  min/km
Comments:

Note: Normally this is a 22 km race but due to a female Grizzly and her cubs being spotted in the area they had to close off a section of the trail. At race package pickup they said the course was being shortened to 20.2 km.

My Garmin got messed up with the mountains and trees on this course. First km I went out at a 4:31 min/km pace. 2nd km split came at 3:52 min/km which is possible as there is a significant downhill by the waterfall. The next km split came way to early, did not match up with the course markings and the pace said 3:07. No way was I running 3:07 / km so at this point I ignored my Garmin and just ran what I felt was a good pace.

At each km mark on the course I checked my time on the Garmin. As I wasn't feeling 100% at the start I figured I'd be happy with a 5 min/km pace which if the course was 20.2 km as they had said would bring me in around 1 hour and 40 minutes. If I was on my P.R. pace for this course I'd finish in around 1 hour 35 minutes.

For the first 10 km I did the math each km and saw that I was about 3 minutes ahead. I hit the 10km mark at exactly 46 minutes.

By 11 km I started losing energy. I'm sure it was partly due to not eating enough the night before but also I could tell a head cold was coming on. That desire to slow the pace down kicked in but I resorted to counting down the km's (only 9 km to go) and reminding myself that slowing down will only drag this out.

My hydration plan was to drink every 15 minutes. I'm one who can't run and drink at the same time so I walk a brisk pace while drinking (I carry my water bottle in a waist belt). I hit the bottom of the hill by the water fall at 45 minutes and had a choice to make. Walk and take my drink before the hill or afterwards. I chose afterwards. Now I wasn't passed by anyone on the hill but I know I have run up hills faster in training. The calfs were both tight and I was feeling very sluggish.

At about the 14 km point you pass by the Start area so it was a challenge not to toss in the towel for the day. I kept thinking that I'd be mad at myself for a DNF. This is a race I hope to continue running yearly for as long as I can.

After passing the start you climb up a bit more as you run up to the Cave and Basin and then starts the descent into Johnsons Canyon. This can be a mentally tough section as it seems to descend forever but it is in fact not so steep a descent.

Surprizingly the turn around for both the 10 km race and the 22 km race came at the same point so at this point I began to wonder if the race was going to be finished once I climbed back out of the canyon or were they going to be tacking on some additional new section to bring us up to 20.2 km. Turned out it was to be finished.

So my finish time was 1 hour 29 minutes and 48 seconds. My Garmin tracked it as 17.54 km but I am suspect of it's measurement. The Running Room Website forum had other runners questioning the same and the concensus is it was about 19 km (based on 5 other runners with Garmins).

A beautiful run through the Rockies. I'd recommend this race to anyone. It can be crowded at times so don't be looking for no record pace. Post race they offer banana's, oranges, apples, orange juice, plain donut, granola bars, yogourt, and a beer. Nice long sleeve t-shirt though this year the picture on the front could have done without the "runner" (looks more like someone wearing a sweatband from a 80's aerobics class).
What would you do differently?:

# 1 I had so much fun training and racing tri's this past summer that I ignored putting together a training schedule for this race. For this race and the Half Ironman I will definitely follow a training schedule.

# 2 Eat a proper meal the night before.

# 3 - Figure out what is up with this tight calf. Do more stretching, change back to my old brand of runners.
Post race
Warm down:

Some stretching and walking around but with the cool temperature just wanted to get back to the van to warm up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not eating a proper meal the night before. Head cold.

Last updated: 2006-05-30 12:00 AM
Running
01:29:48 | 19 kms | 04m 44s  min/km
Age Group: 24/154
Overall: 107/1164
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-24 9:47 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta
Subject: Melissa's 22 km Road Race

2006-09-27 11:19 AM
in reply to: #550444

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Melissa's 22 km Road Race
Whatever it actually ended up at, that's an awesome pace! More so because of the terrain that course goes through! Good job Steve!
2006-09-27 12:08 PM

Pro
Man, you are fast!

I have the same pre-occupation with bowel movements before races. Weird, eh?
2006-09-27 4:57 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-09-27 7:26 PM

Master
Calgary, Alberta

Thanks for reading my race report folks - I've cleaned up the format.

21.1 km is a half mary so in normal years this takes you past half way...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Melissa's 22 km Road Race Rss Feed