General Discussion Triathlon Talk » thoughts on breaking up a long workout Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2022-05-31 12:00 PM

Subject: thoughts on breaking up a long workout
I'm pressed for time on my 2h bike ride this week and I'd like to break it up and do an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. Will I get as much benefit out of it or should I switch it to a different day?

2022-05-31 4:32 PM
in reply to: cdriscoll_1

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: thoughts on breaking up a long workout

Yes, You will get as much benefit from breaking it up as doing it on one block.  

I have seen some plan for time crunched people who want to do a 140.6 mi Triathlon that put a 3 hour bike ride on Friday and a 3 hour bike ride on Saturday rather than putting the full 6 hours on Saturday to make the training blocks easier to fit into busy schedules.  The plan claims that doing these endurance workouts back-to-back days without a recovery day in between is about the same benefit and doing a single block.

Also, there has been research done that shows that for Ultra Marathon run training that athletes actually get a greater training benefit from increasing frequency and decreasing duration.  They showed that greater gain come from doing stuff like 6 miles in the AM and 6 miles in the PM than by doing a single 12 mile run. 

So, you are going to be just fine on race day with splitting up your ride. 

2022-06-01 1:59 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

good
2022-06-06 4:47 AM
in reply to: hina43

berst lovret his
2022-06-07 4:30 AM
in reply to: cdriscoll_1

sdfsf
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » thoughts on breaking up a long workout Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Early Morning Workouts, Night Owls, Fast Metabolizers

Started by ryanoelke
Views: 630 Posts: 5

2022-05-19 4:19 AM lifecareneuro

Pro Triathlete Camp Workouts and Insight

Started by snappingt
Views: 628 Posts: 4

2022-02-08 8:23 AM BlueBoy26