General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Homegrown tri for charity questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2022-06-07 1:55 PM

Subject: Homegrown tri for charity questions
Anyone ever create an individual event and raise money for a cause?
I'm trying to do a diy tri and raise money for a local program.
What platform is best to handle donations from local philanthropic citizens? ie: gofundme, etc
How do I solicit donations? Flat donations? By the mile?

Thanks BT

2022-06-08 3:53 PM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Homegrown tri for charity questions

Originally posted by skibummer Anyone ever create an individual event and raise money for a cause? I'm trying to do a diy tri and raise money for a local program. What platform is best to handle donations from local philanthropic citizens? ie: gofundme, etc How do I solicit donations? Flat donations? By the mile? Thanks BT

Sort of.  When I was in college one of the student organizations I was in did a 5K race.  We designed tee-shirts, got them printed, made a 5K course through town, got donations from local businesses for finish line food, and ran the event.  It went okay the first year.  The second year it got snowed out but 5 of my friends ran it anyways so when the race shirts were offered tio club members for $5 each I bought five of them and gave to my friends.  

Since our college club was already set up with a club treasurer, etc. we were able to have the treasurer take all the donation as they would for club dues and club expenses.  We didn't really make any money.  We actually probably lost more money with the cancelation the second year than we made the first year.  It was great to see the club working together and promoting the ideals of our organization though.  

We went to business for donations.  Local grocery stores donate bananas and beagles, local fast food places donated drinks, some businesses donated gift cards to use for awards and raffle prizes, etc.  We didn't ask for businesses or individuals to donate cash. 

Put on a good event and when people see how hard you are working for you cause they will want to support you any way they can.  

I am not a race director, but I know that USAT does have course for certified race directors and it might be a good idea to look into something like that so you can avoid pitfalls and accomplish what you want to with your race.

2022-06-08 8:41 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I’m “old school “ so my take on the funding options would be:

1) what are your philanthropic citizens willing to do?
2) what is the “toll” charged for the the convenience?

I’m not set up for GoFundMe and disinclined to do so. I write checks.  I’m not ready for GFM to skim 20% of my donation  

Flat rate vs. per mile?  Isn’t the nature of a triathlon to swim/bike/run fixed distances making them one and the same?

2022-06-16 1:51 PM

User image

Nice
2022-06-16 2:38 PM

I guess what I didn't make clear was that I'd be the only one doing this event. Solo, self supported.
I'm working with the organization to set up a scholarship fund currently. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with those kinds of money collecting services and which is best

Also...this is my first full. Any advice would be helpful. If everything is a go, then I'm attempting it in 3 weeks.
Been racing tri's for 10 years. Mostly Oly. Consistently place or win AG 40-44. Have done two homegrown 70.3's a few years ago (2017/2019)

I started training for this in January

I've done 2 rides over 100 miles, a 90, an 80, a 76, and a whole bunch of 3-4 hour Zwift rides
I've done 4 long runs between 20-22 miles, a few 18's and a whole bunch of 15's
I just started swim training a few weeks ago this season. My swim is good, just not race speed ready. Just plan on going slow and steady.

Oh, did I mention that the course is pool swim, 20 laps of a 5.5mi loop and 26 laps on a 1mi path?
Maybe I need more advice on mental toughness than anything else lol
2022-06-16 7:14 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by skibummer I guess what I didn't make clear was that I'd be the only one doing this event. Solo, self supported. I'm working with the organization to set up a scholarship fund currently. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with those kinds of money collecting services and which is best Also...this is my first full. Any advice would be helpful. If everything is a go, then I'm attempting it in 3 weeks. Been racing tri's for 10 years. Mostly Oly. Consistently place or win AG 40-44. Have done two homegrown 70.3's a few years ago (2017/2019) I started training for this in January I've done 2 rides over 100 miles, a 90, an 80, a 76, and a whole bunch of 3-4 hour Zwift rides I've done 4 long runs between 20-22 miles, a few 18's and a whole bunch of 15's I just started swim training a few weeks ago this season. My swim is good, just not race speed ready. Just plan on going slow and steady. Oh, did I mention that the course is pool swim, 20 laps of a 5.5mi loop and 26 laps on a 1mi path? Maybe I need more advice on mental toughness than anything else lol

I haven't looked at the statistics lately, but back when I was doing iron-distance racing, about 90-95% of the people who started the race finished the race.  This included the Pro's who drop out for strategic reasons.  The trick to completing an Iron-distance race is STARTING the race!  (I'd guess number of people who sign up but don't start is far higher than the number that start but don't finish.  Self-supported races might be a bit different. 

Yes, mental toughness is important, and your fundraising is a positive step there. 

Since the distances are fixed, you might approach your philanthropic citizens for performance based donations.  Let's say for example that you have a target time to finish of 12 hours.  Solicit that finish time of 11:45:00-11:59:59 is a 100% donation, finish times 12:00:00 to 12:30:00 are 90%, slower than 12:30:01 80%.  You could also ask for 105% or 110% if you finish faster than 11:44:59.  You could invite these contributors to the finish-line celebration, asking them to be present from 11:30 until you finish with some refreshments while they socialize with one another.  (This way, they're able to confirm your finish time for themselves and not have to take your word for it.)  You could also have your "timing official" (who's probably your race sherpa) send out periodic texts of your progress.  He's out of the pool in 58:23...he's done 5, 10, 15 laps of the bike, he's off the bike at 6:14:22...he's done 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 laps of the run...

2022-08-02 11:06 AM

UPDATE:

Raised over $3500 for local youth program scholarships.

14:36. The biggest drain on my time was having to stop and talk to so many well wishers. I estimate that I wasted :45- 1 hour of time gabbing with donors and spectators.

Pool swim, no big deal.
The first gabber of the day got me right out of the pool. He starts asking me about the event. 5 minutes later, they ask me when I'm doing it. "Today, right now!" I say.

Bike - 5.5 mile loops
It got HOT!!
Ride with the LBS owner for about 80 miles
More gabbing with the general public, including my teenage son who drove out to see me which was awesome. Get into T2 feeling great. My boss is standing at the RUN OUT and we gab for a good 10 minutes.

Run- 1 mile loop
HOT!!!
2 miles in and a whole crowd of donors show up. Gab. At mile 5 I'm starting to not feel so good. It's a chore to take in nutrition (tailwind) and solid food is out of the question. A friend shows up with his wife and tag team running laps with me. More donors and well wishers show up through out the afternoon (gab) and I'm sure I look as bad as I feel. I'm alternating run/walk laps and sometimes .75/.25 run/walk. Sunscreen has destroyed my left contact lens so I'm now down to one eye. I can barely read my watch.

Run the last two laps and finish. Thank my gf, running friends, LBS owner, and the few bystanders that stuck around.
When every one is gone, I give thanks to whoever might be listening in the universe that I was able to do this. I feel absolutely demolished and starving but I can't eat.
About 90 minutes go by before I can try eating.
About 2 hours goes by before I say, out loud, "I want to do that again"
2022-08-02 10:03 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Congratulations!!!

2022-08-03 9:33 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Well done! Even though stopping to chat with well-wishers would slow things down(maybe a lot!), for me the interactions would break up the monotony of trying to cover 140.6 all alone...And $3500 raised to boot! Great job..
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Homegrown tri for charity questions Rss Feed