Gallivant Racing
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 21s
Overall Rank = 18/81
Age Group = M60-64
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

got up 3 hrs early, boost/G2/coffee>BR; felt a bit nervous about the swim with a hot lake and no wetsuit (83 degrees the day prior to the race but they did not check it again) My garmin said 79 degrees during the race-FTR. DW was awake when alarm went off and had been up-feel badly for her suffering with the hot flashes. A quick 10-15 min drive to the venue. LaQuinta Hotel was terrible overall, but there weren't any other choices really-loud and tough to sleep in due to the noise. A little rain came down > wet roads
Event warmup:

I now know I need 10-15 minutes w/u for the S, so I was out there early and tried to figure out body position for the non-wetsuit swim; felt a bit more confident even though my time in w/u was terrible.
Swim
  • 16m 9s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was happy that I had a steady performance and didn't melt down, which seems to happen more often than not.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/9303771068/1
What would you do differently?:

Push on the back half at 1:2 breathing; I had it in me but just wanted a good, not great, race today.
Transition 1
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Transition spot was ok, I was in the middle but it had a rock that I could sit on and put my shoes on, so I sacrificed a bit for that. I did not run hard out of the water like I usually do-instead ran over to my wife and told her that I 'didn't even stop!' Jogged up to the T spot and ripped off the swim stuff and got the bike stuff on. Ran up to mount-did my flying mount and hit the hill 50 yrds away.

Go faster
Bike
  • 34m 44s
  • 12.2 miles
  • 21.07 mile/hr
Comments:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/9303771068/3

I pushed moderately hard, but not my 'all out' sprint pace-which is when you realize you are breathing only sort of hard, you push. Plenty of fluid with the one aero bottle on the bike. I kept my flat kit and red blinking light on as I wanted to be seen and was OK changing a tire to finish-if I had to and the road was average at best. Weather was starting to warm up and it was high 70's and sunny by the end of the bike.

nothing except push a bit harder as I did have it in me, but I didn't feel it; the non-wetsuit swim really flattened my hopes for the day.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

I was slow in this one and am disappointed. Couldn't get my shoes on, but realized I did not change to the stretchy laces and that was part of the problem. Plus I am not bendable and I have to hold my breath when putting shoes on which doesn't help. Grabbed my run stuff and was off!

Nothing really, just execute it a bit better
Run
  • 23m 39s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I pushed a little on mile 1, which was a net, rolling up with the highest point at around half way, but I didn't push at all on the back half and just wanted to be done. Usually, I'll empty the tank. Not nearly as hilly as Griskus or Lake T which was fine with me. My sore heel didn't hurt as much either so it must be getting better.

Push on the back half more
Post race
Warm down:

Unlike my usual sprints, I felt fine. Able to talk and chat with DW who remains my rock in these things. She cheers me on and helps in so many ways-I feel very, very lucky about that. We ate a bit, waited for preliminary results, then awards. Had a few cold sodas then headed home. I wanted coffee so badly and while getting gas, DW brought me an apple turnover which was heavenly! I was on a sugar/caffeine high the entire way home-woo hoo!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental fortitude to push as I usually do on both the bike and run. My 5th OA bike was pretty good, but I'm better than that. And, everyone in the world is a better runner than I, so I expect them all to fly by me but holding my own in the swim was the cake for the day.

Event comments:

I would give super high marks for this event and would do it again! The course was a nice NE type of challenge with some hills, a fair distance-including a swim that wasn't super short. The B and R were very, very well marked and lots of aid stations and great food/chips and drinks at the finish. Prelim results were out quickly and it was just very well done. I was happy to see so many young people racing. Props to the RD!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2022-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:09 | 880 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 25/81
Performance: Good
No HR data, started off at ~23 strokes/min>ended @ 25-26; I knew 80 strokes to the turn buoy from practice. I just went slow, counted down from 100, tried to sight every 10 strokes and stay relaxed, which worked and I finally didn't end up on a kayak-not super fast, but I was steady with no stopping.
Suit: USAT sleeveless red/white trisuit
Course: counter clockwise around 2 orange buoys (turn buoys) and 2 smaller sighting buoys in front of them, calm water, I was in the first wave with the 50+ men, but by the end I saw some white caps from the stud younger swimmers.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:01
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:34:44 | 12.2 miles | 21.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 5/81
AP/NP-211/227 but a bunch of coasting in there; Mile 12 was +100 feet up only-a 3:40 mile, where I hit my peak HR of 156 (97% my measured max HR)--yeah, I pushed that one; ave HR-137/peak 156. IF 0.94 FTP (current 242w)
Wind: None
Course: Up about 6 miles; turn around in a school so it wasn't a 180 turn which was nice, down 3 more-including jumping RR tracks, then turn R-go a mile, turn L-go a mile, jump more RR tracks; head back to the beach and hit that last long hill hard. Did turn a corner too aggressively and almost put the bike down, but I hit the pedal-turned quickly and got it upright--very lucky
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 76
Turns: Good Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:23:39 | 03 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 25/81
Performance: Average
my miles were ~ 8 min pace each mile despite the rollers up/down; had to speed up a bit on the down and focus on quicker, stronger steps on the ups.
Course: up counter clockwise to the far side of the lake and turn at ~1.3 miles to come back, then an out/back past mile 2, then down to the finish; sun was full out by then and it was getting hotter and made it to the 80's.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2022-07-30 2:21 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: DKH, Give it a TRI

2022-08-02 10:49 AM
in reply to: #5282106

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: DKH, Give it a TRI
I need to do this one some time - looks great!

Congrats!
2022-08-02 1:29 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
2022-08-02 7:05 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
many thanks Randee and Mike!

We are all close enough (NE/East coast) that I am still hopeful to be at a race with you guys-so I can say 'Hi' and chat about life and BT...

best of luck this year!
2022-08-03 8:37 AM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by dtoce

many thanks Randee and Mike!

We are all close enough (NE/East coast) that I am still hopeful to be at a race with you guys-so I can say 'Hi' and chat about life and BT...

best of luck this year!

I saw you're doing Greenfield. I love that one and would be there but we have other plans that day. Good luck!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » DKH, Give it a TRI Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri the Swamp Rabbit

Started by mchisholm
Views: 349 Posts: 1

2022-07-26 11:51 AM mchisholm

Rolf Prima Tri at the Grove - Olympic Course

Started by Hot Runner
Views: 459 Posts: 3

2022-07-27 8:44 AM jmhpsu93