General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long Hair - Do you tuck it in your jersey for better aero? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2022-09-14 7:42 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: Long Hair - Do you tuck it in your jersey for better aero?
I just watched a video from Specialized where they wind tunnel tested long hair. Having it loose and having it in a ponytail were basically the same.
Having it in a bun seemed better but was actually the same as the ponytail.
A braid was superior. They didn't test double braids or tucking in the braids.
I wonder if anyone does this?

I'm not terribly fast so I know this isn't going to matter a lot for me. But since I spent money on a jersey with the little dimples in it, it seems dumb to cover that up with my hair... I always wear a braid but what about just stuffing it into the back of the top?

2022-09-15 9:15 AM
in reply to: alicefoeller

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Long Hair - Do you tuck it in your jersey for better aero?

I obviously don't have an direct experience (well, maybe my circa 1990 mullet would have qualified but...).  My daughter has pretty long straight hair and does the single braid thing.  Part of it is to control it and get in under the swim cap.  For what it's worth I think it looks cool.  She doesn't care at all about aero right now. 

Anecdotally , most of the pro female cyclists that I've noticed rock the single braid, too.  I haven't really noticed it tucked in but they don't care so much about micro-managing aerodynamics with the peloton.

2022-09-15 11:03 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

No, but also when doing a race I opt to braid because it gets less tangled and is more manageable for the whole day after the swim - to get a helmet on for the bike and then a cap on for the run with minimal fuss. 

And maybe mine isn't long enough to tuck anyway - but never thought of it 

2022-10-28 12:02 PM
in reply to: alicefoeller

, Massachusetts
My wife does braids. When I showed her this thread, she didn’t think she’d like the feeling of her hair tucked under the jersey, especially if she’s looking left and right while moving through a group. She thinks it would work itself out.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long Hair - Do you tuck it in your jersey for better aero? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Learning to swim better

Started by Motormouth
Views: 945 Posts: 7

2022-08-08 9:45 AM silvercannonca

thoughts on breaking up a long workout

Started by cdriscoll_1
Views: 554 Posts: 5

2022-06-07 4:30 AM Rohits1208

college student doing a capstone project

Started by shelldeason
Views: 818 Posts: 6