Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 94

2023-03-21 4:21 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Had to rearrange my training schedule as normally I ride on Monday evenings. Will ride tomorrow morning instead (yes, I will get up early, I won’t let Lazy Nat decide)

Lazy Nat 1- Fit Nat 1

Managed to get up earlier to ride today. Whohoo!!

2023-03-21 6:49 AM
in reply to: thin_concrete

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by thin_concrete

Hi all - hope everyone’s doing well! The last several weeks have been hell with entity level returns and now I’ve switched gears for corporate and individual returns. 4 more weeks of tax season 2023 left!

I had been slacking for the last 2 weeks, but the temperatures are turning a bit here in New England. After a massive snow storm last week, we’re in the 50s today through the end of the week with a chance to hit 60 on Thursday! In a show of gratitude to Mother Nature, I banged out a 1,350M swim with an opening 1KM that felt really good. And now, I just came back from my first outdoor run of 2023 and am running sub-10s, a place I haven’t been in in years.

My wife is running Boston on 17APR and then it’s my turn to really focus.

I will make a better effort to stop by more regularly. Until then, cheers!!

good to hear from you! seems like you are getting back on track
2023-03-21 3:02 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by drfoodlove

This morning I did a 45' interval run, with 4x2.5' in Z4/5. Confused by my data afterwards though, because my HR wouldn't climb out of upper Z3, but my pace was beyond way faster than the boundary of Z5. I suppose 2.5' maybe isn't long enough for HR to climb up to Z5? Or my wrist-based optical HRM wasn't reading properly. I have noted that sometimes when it is particularly dark out, it doesn't want to work well, which blows my mind, because it provides its own light. Anyway, that run is done and it felt good in general.

Heart rate lag is a very real thing which is why HR as a measure for short intervals is always a bit dodgy, even more so with optical monitors. I think your suspicions are probably right, and 2,5 minutes just isn't enough time for your heart rate to catch up to your effort level. By the same token you HR will be higher than it should be for your effort level for the first part of your rest period between intervals.

I use pace zones (based on https://www.mcmillanrunning.comcalculator) rather than HR for my interval runs for this reason. Assuming you're on reasonably flat ground your pace for the various zones should be about right, and your watch will figure out speed faster than it figures out HR. The other option is a power meter. I haven't used a running one, but for cycling we all know power gives instant, accurate feedback of your effort, and I believe the running ones (stryd etc.) are the same.
2023-03-21 3:03 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Had to rearrange my training schedule as normally I ride on Monday evenings. Will ride tomorrow morning instead (yes, I will get up early, I won’t let Lazy Nat decide)

Lazy Nat 1- Fit Nat 1

Managed to get up earlier to ride today. Whohoo!!

Great job Fit Nat!
2023-03-21 3:10 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Super tired after work last night, and then the little people decided to have a 'challenging' bedtime so I was very ready to lie on the couch and skip my run. Fortunately Mrs Bullfrog checked her emails and had some work she had to finish off in a rush, so left to myself I jumped on the treadmill anyway. 45 minutes later, and another route ticked off on zwift, job was done.

That gives me 7 days in a row (first time that's happened in a long time), with an average of 60 minutes a day over that week. It's only 1 week, but nice to see something resembling consistency reappearing in the training log.
2023-03-22 1:32 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@Andrew--Great job getting it done after a less than ideal bedtime!! Consistency is totally key!

@FitNat--nice to see you making a comeback!!

As for me...2250yds in the pool today with some really tough sets of 50s, losing 10" rest every set of four. Man, you go from comfortable to gasping in a quick fashion when you lose that much rest at a time. Strength training also today, of which most is done. I just have some single-leg reverse deadlifts to do (3 sets of 10 each leg) and then I'll have it polished off. A little work break fun, if you will. Yesterday's Z2 ride was fine...boring, as usual, but at least I got some reading in. I'm sorry to have to say that the time has come to need reading glasses to properly focus on my phone at the distance it sits from my face when I'm in aero. *sigh* just another little thing to remember when I'm getting all the bits ready for a workout.

Ramadan Kareem!! If anyone celebrates (I don't think they do, but hey, it is a holiday we can celebrate!)

2023-03-22 11:51 PM
in reply to: #5284751

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Ugh..a generally terrible 60’ ride this morning. I slept horribly last night, so probably that, but also my power meter batteries were playing up, so I changed them mid ride, but then they wouldn’t read properly—kept dropping out. Also, my saddle started that tipping back thing again. So, all in all my one hour ride took 1:20 (lots of wandering around wondering where I put the batteries in my new apartment).
2023-03-23 12:05 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey folks...still hanging down here in FL and the weather bouncing all over the place.  50s on Monday, 90s this weekend.  Back is still a hot mess so I'll go get an xray when I get back home to see if there's a more complex structural issue than before.  Meanwhile gettiing in Zwift and outdoor rides (complete with a zero MPH tip over crash - yay me!) and swimming with my daughter who is down for spring break and tapering for Collegiate Club Nationals next weekend.  1750 in the pool this morning with a short bike ride afterwards (did the exact 1750 for everyone's benefit here ).  We hit up Disney a couple of times this week (after taking out a second mortgage to afford it LOL) and went on the Star Wars Rise of the Resistance ride which is the best non-roller coaster ride I've ever been on.  Chililng by the pool is on tap for the weekend.  

@Andrew - nice work on your consistency

@Nathalie - yay Fit Nat!!

@Gretchen - your drops in the fitness bucket are really getting there - impressive you get it done in another country

@Jay - welcome back - good luck with the end of the tax season!

2023-03-23 3:02 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@ Gretchen, Got to love technical issues. Swim, bike and run could be such a simple sport. But you've reminded me, my watch battery is getting low, got to charge that today so I'm good to go for the weekend.

@ Mike. X-Ray sounds serious. Really hoping you haven't had any serious damage after your triumphant return to tri training this year. At least you can still swim and bike. Enjoy Florida.

I did 8 days in a row, then gave myself Thursday off. Mr Gramin had been telling me all week my suggested workout was rest. haha, so finally decided to listen.

I'm planning to swim today for my lunch break, and either a run or ride on zwift tonight after kids are asleep. Long run, and either a run or ride (whichever doesn't happen tonight) planned for the weekend.

Have a good/productive weekend everyone.
2023-03-25 2:34 AM
in reply to: #5284791

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@Mike—hope that back is okay! Bipedalism needs another couple million years to really evolve to efficiency, but unfortunately there is no fitness consequence to our poor vertebral structure, since it generally lasts long enough to have offspring. Alas…no evolutionary drive to improve it.

I did a 90’ today, mostly Z2, but 20’ of Z3 pace in there. Felt good, and I quickly realized that as these runs get longer I’m soon to be running laps around the island Oh well…it is a nice island and breeze off the river helps keep me cool.
2023-03-26 1:33 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2000 yds in the pool this morning--most of which went well. There was one set where I had the bright idea to try to breathe to the left...that didn't work out all that well. :D Later this afternoon is a 90' interval ride.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

2023-03-26 4:06 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

@Mike—hope that back is okay! Bipedalism needs another couple million years to really evolve to efficiency, but unfortunately there is no fitness consequence to our poor vertebral structure, since it generally lasts long enough to have offspring. Alas…no evolutionary drive to improve it.

Interesting! Hope it’s nothing too serious Mike.

8 days in a row Andrew, nice! You are up and running (and biking and swimming) now!

A good week for me, hit all my workouts despite 3 hockey games (of which 2 live). Long run left for this week (15.5k), earlier than usual due to, you’ve guessed it, a hockey game (on TV).

Have a great Sunday

2023-03-26 3:35 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
My weekend didn't quite go to plan. I got everything planned in, but Friday nights workout got missed. So I ended up doing a double (90min run in the morning, 60 min ride in the evening on Sunday)

For the week,

S: x1, 500m. Same as last week
B: x3, 3 hours, 1 VO2max intervals, 2 x Z2, all on zwift
R: x3, 3 hours, 1 Cruise Intervals, 1 Z2 easy and 1 long

Total of about 6 hours 15 minutes for the week.

As that's 5 weeks of consistently increasing my training load. I think it's time for a bit of a rest week. And the fast we have a very busy weekend running around after children planned makes this a good time for a bit of a rest. All going to plan I'll be doing workouts Monday-Friday, with both days off over the weekend. Aiming for 2 hours on the bike and 2 running. Hopefully a swim too if I get the chance. So 4-4/5 hours total. I will also be trying to do some stretching/bodyweight sessions, which I have not done since early Feb. Not feeling injured yet, but a bit of preventative maintenance never hurts.
2023-03-26 3:38 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

A good week for me, hit all my workouts despite 3 hockey games (of which 2 live). Long run left for this week (15.5k), earlier than usual due to, you’ve guessed it, a hockey game (on TV).

Have a great Sunday

Good job on the workouts. How's the hockey going? I watched my warriors game during Sunday evenings zwift ride. 4th game of the season, 3 wins and 4th on the table. It's our year!
2023-03-26 3:42 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

2000 yds in the pool this morning--most of which went well. There was one set where I had the bright idea to try to breathe to the left...that didn't work out all that well. :D Later this afternoon is a 90' interval ride.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

See, now I can only breathe on the left. It's the right that is the disaster. Strange thing is though, 10 years ago, when I first started tris I could breathe either side. I suppose if you don't train it you lose it. Probably something I should try and work on. A few laps breathing on the wrong side at the start of every swim... I'm sure a few months of that would help. Got to be a good skill to rediscover.
2023-03-26 3:54 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

Have a great Sunday

Good job on the workouts. How's the hockey going? I watched my warriors game during Sunday evenings zwift ride. 4th game of the season, 3 wins and 4th on the table. It's our year!

The week started well with a win on both Monday and Wednesday, but then they lost Friday and today so we’ll have a 7th and final game on Tuesday to determine which team is going to the semis. It should have been an easy quarter final (team who won the regular season league vs the one who came 10th) but it’s not going too well. I expect they will win on Tuesday and go to the semis but I can’t see them going all the way this year. Part of me would be relieved if they went out on Tuesday so I can get on with my life!

Good start for your warriors! May it continue! What sport is it?

2023-03-26 4:29 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

The week started well with a win on both Monday and Wednesday, but then they lost Friday and today so we’ll have a 7th and final game on Tuesday to determine which team is going to the semis. It should have been an easy quarter final (team who won the regular season league vs the one who came 10th) but it’s not going too well. I expect they will win on Tuesday and go to the semis but I can’t see them going all the way this year. Part of me would be relieved if they went out on Tuesday so I can get on with my life!

Good start for your warriors! May it continue! What sport is it?

Its Rugby League (not to be confused with Rugby for all you Americans), specifically the NRL. It's not really our year, we are historically cr*p, and haven't even made the playoffs for years. So just enjoying the ride while it lasts and waiting for the inevitable collapse. Haha.

Enjoy game 7. There's always something special when it goes down to a game 7, no matter the sport.
2023-03-27 12:49 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Well you never know, maybe 2023 IS your year! I love rugby (union or other) my dad was an ex player and a big fan.

We’ve been spoiled with my hockey team who won 3 times since 2015, so when they win the league, you see them lifting the trophy before the playoffs even start.
2023-03-27 1:45 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nathalie & Andrew--I don't know...is following a good team all that much fun? If you love a bad team (see Chicago Cubs baseball for me), isn't it all about the love of the game/team? Not winning and losing?

Nat--hope your team makes it through! (although I totally understand your desire to get your life back!)

Today is a rest day for me. Started with a nice sleep in until 6:15am! (something has gone terribly wrong with my life that 6:15 is now sleeping in) and then a very slow roll to get myself ready for the day with coffee and breakfast on the patio. Just now settling in at work (at 9am). Tomorrow is a bike ramp test to see how training as progressed, and then a brick run (somehow this seems like a very bad idea). Maybe I'll move that run. Overall, it is a cutback week, so there is some flexibility in the schedule, since it seems like there are only 2 runs, 2 ST workouts, and 3 swims and bikes. Not much...comparatively speaking.
2023-03-27 8:20 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Nathalie & Andrew--I don't know...is following a good team all that much fun? If you love a bad team (see Chicago Cubs baseball for me), isn't it all about the love of the game/team? Not winning and losing?

Nat--hope your team makes it through! (although I totally understand your desire to get your life back!)

Well, yes, but it is much more fun when they win and also, if they win rather than be eliminated, then there are more games to watch

2023-03-27 3:26 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Love to see all the activity starting to ramp up! It definitely helps with the weather improving. I've been somewhat steady with my workouts. I had my weekend in NC (placed 3rd in my tournament, won $200!), and was pretty successful in not drinking much. I had one car bomb on St. Paddy's, one mimosa Saturday, and then drank a bit of wine after my tournament and during the after party. Was pretty pleased with my success in meeting my goal! Got a nice run in while down there as well.

Going to swim tonight (and maybe run too). As for breathing, I prefer breathing to the left, but our coach "makes" us breathe to both sides, which I think is probably a good thing. I try to alternate which side I'm breathing to each lap (always breathing to the same wall). I have neck issues though so sometimes favor one side or the other.
I recently started going to my chiropractor again. He grabbed my trap and was like, yeah that's a huge knot...so hoping to improve my mobility in the next few weeks. He doesn't just crack you and send you on your way. He does scraping, cupping, and dry needling (if needed). Starting simple and also just need to start doing daily neck exercises. How do I remember to do all the things?! I feel like I know what I need to do, but just don't have those good habits built.

2023-03-28 1:14 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

Love to see all the activity starting to ramp up! It definitely helps with the weather improving. I've been somewhat steady with my workouts. I had my weekend in NC (placed 3rd in my tournament, won $200!), and was pretty successful in not drinking much. I had one car bomb on St. Paddy's, one mimosa Saturday, and then drank a bit of wine after my tournament and during the after party. Was pretty pleased with my success in meeting my goal! Got a nice run in while down there as well.

Going to swim tonight (and maybe run too). As for breathing, I prefer breathing to the left, but our coach "makes" us breathe to both sides, which I think is probably a good thing. I try to alternate which side I'm breathing to each lap (always breathing to the same wall). I have neck issues though so sometimes favor one side or the other.
I recently started going to my chiropractor again. He grabbed my trap and was like, yeah that's a huge knot...so hoping to improve my mobility in the next few weeks. He doesn't just crack you and send you on your way. He does scraping, cupping, and dry needling (if needed). Starting simple and also just need to start doing daily neck exercises. How do I remember to do all the things?! I feel like I know what I need to do, but just don't have those good habits built.

Great job Nicole (both on the 3rd place finish and the drinking goal)!! Have you ever read the book Atomic Habits by James Clear? If not, I highly recommend it. It is all about how to train yourself to do small things (like your neck mobility exercise) with tiny changes in mindset and activity. I thought it was hooey before I read it, but it really works.
2023-03-28 1:19 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@Nat--dying to know! Did your team win Game 7?!?!

Started this morning off with a bang after yesterday's rest day...a cycling ramp test! It was awful...and horrible...and gruesome...and I loved every second of it. Okay, that all might be a bit melodramatic, but it actually went really well. My FTP is up 3.4% over the last eight weeks. Next few bike workouts are gonna SUCK though.

Followed that up with a fantastic swim. I seriously felt like I was gliding the whole time (which I hear is how the fast swimmers feel all the time). It was a great 2000 yd swim.

I finally got around to emailing the manager of the hotel gym where I've been swimming for the last two months to see if I can get a definitive answer about the length of the pool. I've been assuming it is 25yds, just because of my times, but I'm tired of that and really want to know exactly as we hit the main component of the training plan. If I'm only swimming 20m every length that is really cutting down my total training volume and I will need to adjust somehow.
2023-03-28 10:01 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

@Nat--dying to know! Did your team win Game 7?!?!

Not yet! It starts in 2 hours! I am very nervous. The place is sold out, there is going to be thousands of people. The real hardcore fans (the ones who sing) are planning to put people in every section to get the quieter ones going and push our team.

I am definitely counting this as a workout. I will start my watch to see my average heart rate. It's gonna be hiiiggghhhh!!

Hope you get an reply about the pool length, we need to know!

2023-03-28 2:21 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove @Nat--dying to know! Did your team win Game 7?!?!
Not yet! It starts in 2 hours! I am very nervous. The place is sold out, there is going to be thousands of people. The real hardcore fans (the ones who sing) are planning to put people in every section to get the quieter ones going and push our team. I am definitely counting this as a workout. I will start my watch to see my average heart rate. It's gonna be hiiiggghhhh!! Hope you get an reply about the pool length, we need to know!

Good luck!!!

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 94

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 846 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland