Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 99

2023-03-31 8:21 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
March is in the books for me!

Not a bad month overall
Swim: 13h 06m 38s - 31775 Yd Increase over Feb 8:45 (21k yds)
Bike: 20h 21m 31s Increase over Feb 4:00
Run: 11h 11m 17s - 49.94 Mi Increase over Feb 0:22 (2.5 miles)
Strength: 4h 30m Decrease from Feb 1:20

2023-03-31 10:57 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by drfoodlove

March is in the books for me!

Not a bad month overall
Swim: 13h 06m 38s - 31775 Yd Increase over Feb 8:45 (21k yds)
Bike: 20h 21m 31s Increase over Feb 4:00
Run: 11h 11m 17s - 49.94 Mi Increase over Feb 0:22 (2.5 miles)
Strength: 4h 30m Decrease from Feb 1:20

Not bad at all!

here's my march numbers

swim = 0 but I did sit in the lake last week. Still too cold to swim
bike =12h11 = zwift distance, I don't know- 2 hours less than last month
run= 12h33 ; 103k-30 minutes less than last month but approx same distance-Am I getting faster?
strength = about 4 hours I guess
hockey games = 5 (as we've established that they do count as workouts)

game 5 starts in one hour. Semi-final one. Here we go!

2023-03-31 12:10 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by nicole14e

Originally posted by bulfrog

Had a crazy couple of days with work. Literally involving kidnapping and extortion (not me, someone in another country is trying to get a group to pay them federal funds as bribes and locked someone in an office until they paid them...). So I drank a little last night, and had an early meeting this morning.
I'm starting to dread this race I have coming up at the end of April. Really need to hunker down and get training!
I did make it to swimming the other night though. Got in about 2k yds.

Wow, that's a stressful day at work. We've got busy all of a sudden. But nothing like that. Did it all work out?

This is like a normal Tuesday in Egypt! The "tipping" culture is ridiculous! I know a woman who lost 70,000GBP from a grant because it was paid into a ministry bank account (by requirement of the funding agency) and then one day the money was just gone. Never did figure out which set of pockets it lined.

Yeah I've basically been told that this is normal and we have overreacted by sending it up the ladder. I strongly disagree, so feel good about my decision, but overall feels crappy nonetheless.

I'm right there with you thinking this is unacceptable behavior. It is a classic disconnect between cultures that can very easily being remedied if there were open and clear lines of communication about the expectations on both sides. I mean...if you expect me to pay something over and above the permit fees I have already paid, tell me...in advance, in writing, and with willingness to provide receipts for the payments.

Exactly! I get that I'm not in country, but it doesn't change how we handle ourselves regardless.
2023-03-31 12:14 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Ahh good luck to your team, Nat!

Gretchen, solid month! As usual, totally impressed at your consistency, even while in a foreign country. Scary about the earthquake though!

I had a really nice book club with my girlfriends at my house last night. It went pretty late though, so I struggled to wake up, but am feeling much better now and, if it's not raining, might at least try to get a walk in later. If not, I will do a Peloton ride or strength.

I was a bit burnt out on my Peloton, but I'm planning on doing this upcoming challenge to get back into it and get ready for my tri in June. It was nice to take a break. Might have to start off with an FTP test though, ugh.
2023-04-01 3:25 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
90' run today with 20' in Z4/Z5, and the rest in Z2--it was one of those absolutely perfect runs that makes you remember why you like doing this whole triathlon thing in the first place. I couldn't have asked for a better run.

Folks...I have heard back from the pool manager and I absolutely do not know if I can handle the answer. The pool is "almost 20m". I'm dying. My brain will actually probably explode any minute with this knowledge (and with the fact that the manager somehow things "almost 20m" is an appropriate answer). There is going to be so much thinking involved in swim training now!

I'm still actually having a hard time believing this is the correct measurement, because it essentially means I have to add an entire length of the pool to get to 100m...which makes the times I'm swimming considerably slower than what I was swimming before I left for Egypt (and...you know...the subsequent six months of strength and swim training). It is puzzling. I may have to get my own tapes out and check it out. Here's when being an archaeologist pays off...easy access to really long tape measures...ha! Finally, there is some benefit!
2023-04-01 5:39 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Folks...I have heard back from the pool manager and I absolutely do not know if I can handle the answer. The pool is "almost 20m". I'm dying. My brain will actually probably explode any minute with this knowledge (and with the fact that the manager somehow things "almost 20m" is an appropriate answer). There is going to be so much thinking involved in swim training now!

I'm still actually having a hard time believing this is the correct measurement, because it essentially means I have to add an entire length of the pool to get to 100m...which makes the times I'm swimming considerably slower than what I was swimming before I left for Egypt (and...you know...the subsequent six months of strength and swim training). It is puzzling. I may have to get my own tapes out and check it out. Here's when being an archaeologist pays off...easy access to really long tape measures...ha! Finally, there is some benefit!

“Almost 20 meters” could be anything between 18 and 19.9. I see why it is it NOT the answer you wanted, in any way!

Feeling a little down since Yesterday. Not sure what it is, brain fog and tired, very difficult to concentrate at work. Went to the game after work and left after one period. It wasn’t fun. Hockey not fun? What’s wrong with me? The score was 1-1 at the time so it’s not like they were bad and losing big time, that would not have been fun.

(They won 6-2)

Woke up at 11 this morning (12 hours sleep). Will attempt to train this afternoon, should cure me or finish me off.

Have a great weekend!

2023-04-02 1:14 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Feeling a little down since Yesterday. Not sure what it is, brain fog and tired, very difficult to concentrate at work. Went to the game after work and left after one period. It wasn’t fun. Hockey not fun? What’s wrong with me? The score was 1-1 at the time so it’s not like they were bad and losing big time, that would not have been fun.

(They won 6-2)

Woke up at 11 this morning (12 hours sleep). Will attempt to train this afternoon, should cure me or finish me off.

Have a great weekend!

Feel better!! Hopefully a couple of good days of rest will cure you and it isn't anything lasting!
2023-04-02 1:21 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Swim this morning and I here to unequivocally say that there is no way that pool is 20m!! I adjusted my scheduled session to be 20m (i.e., 100=5 lengths, etc.). If that pool is 20m, I swam slower today than I did in 2013 when I first started swimming (I checked my logs!!). No way. Not possible. I suspect this is the standard Egyptian desire to be helpful being terribly unhelpful. This is pretty common in Egypt that if someone doesn't actually know the answer to a question, they will tell you what they think you want to hear to make you happy. They think it is being helpful. It is not. It really is not helpful at all...ever. The worst is when you ask someone for directions and expect that if they tell you how to get somewhere, it actually will lead you to the place you need to go. I'm going back to assuming it is a 25yd pool and calling it good enough (until you know, next week when it starts to gnaw on me again).

Later today I have a 90' interval ride with my new FTP. Gonna be tough! I'm pretty tired today after watching two Aussie Rules Football games and listening to the Cubs game yesterday. Yep...I'm tired from watching other people play sport! I guess it is better than my wife, who somehow injured her knee whilst sleeping over the weekend.

2023-04-02 2:11 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Swim this morning and I here to unequivocally say that there is no way that pool is 20m!! I adjusted my scheduled session to be 20m (i.e., 100=5 lengths, etc.). If that pool is 20m, I swam slower today than I did in 2013 when I first started swimming (I checked my logs!!). No way. Not possible. I suspect this is the standard Egyptian desire to be helpful being terribly unhelpful. This is pretty common in Egypt that if someone doesn't actually know the answer to a question, they will tell you what they think you want to hear to make you happy. They think it is being helpful. It is not. It really is not helpful at all...ever. The worst is when you ask someone for directions and expect that if they tell you how to get somewhere, it actually will lead you to the place you need to go. I'm going back to assuming it is a 25yd pool and calling it good enough (until you know, next week when it starts to gnaw on me again).

Later today I have a 90' interval ride with my new FTP. Gonna be tough! I'm pretty tired today after watching two Aussie Rules Football games and listening to the Cubs game yesterday. Yep...I'm tired from watching other people play sport! I guess it is better than my wife, who somehow injured her knee whilst sleeping over the weekend.

Trust yourself and your times (until you get your long tape measure out), your pool is 25 yd. I can imagine how that is driving you crazy.

Well, didn’t we establish that watching others play counts as a workout? And sleeping is another dangerous sport apparently, I shouldn’t laugh and I hope it’s not bad but how do you hurt yourself while sleeping ? Did she fall out of bed?

2023-04-02 2:17 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

(They won 6-2)

Have a great weekend!

Feel better!! Hopefully a couple of good days of rest will cure you and it isn't anything lasting!

After sleeping for 12 hours yesterday, I did a shorter workout on Zwift (70 min instead of 100 on a Saturday normally) and then went and sat in the lake. Felt much better last night.

Woke up with a massive headache this morning but it’s already fading. I was signed up for a 10k but it’s a 90 minutes drive and I can’t be bothered to be honest so it will be a slow long run as usual before semi final 2 on TV
2023-04-02 2:54 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Trust yourself and your times (until you get your long tape measure out), your pool is 25 yd. I can imagine how that is driving you crazy.

Well, didn’t we establish that watching others play counts as a workout? And sleeping is another dangerous sport apparently, I shouldn’t laugh and I hope it’s not bad but how do you hurt yourself while sleeping ? Did she fall out of bed?

You're right...this is driving me absolutely crazy. I like (need) order and don't like uncertainty. It has boggled my mind since the first day I started at this pool that no one seems to know how big it is!

I have no idea how she hurt herself while sleeping!! She is, by far, the clumsiest person I have ever met (said in the most loving way possible). If anyone can hurt themselves while sleeping, she can! It probably involves twisting her body in some weird way to avoid disturbing the dog who now has taken over my entire side of the bed in my absence, including sleeping on my pillow.

2023-04-02 7:55 PM
in reply to: #5284889

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen, that is definitely frustrating, not knowing. Hopefully you get real data soon!

Nat, sorry to hear you're feeling a bit down/burnt out. Get some rest and you'll feel better soon!

I did masters practice yesterday, got in about 3300 yds. Ran a little over 7 miles today. And played football yesterday too, so my body is a bit sore. In a good way though! My watch told me I'm overreaching lol so I need to do some.yoga tmrw. I did do some stretching/yoga today before and after the run.
2023-04-03 1:30 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Gretchen, that is definitely frustrating, not knowing. Hopefully you get real data soon!

Nat, sorry to hear you're feeling a bit down/burnt out. Get some rest and you'll feel better soon!

I did masters practice yesterday, got in about 3300 yds. Ran a little over 7 miles today. And played football yesterday too, so my body is a bit sore. In a good way though! My watch told me I'm overreaching lol so I need to do some.yoga tmrw. I did do some stretching/yoga today before and after the run.

Garmin has been telling me my body needs extra rest for like six months...:D It just has no idea what is in store for the next few months!!
2023-04-03 1:31 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Up bright and early (4:30) to get in a swim and strength training before I headed into the office today. I'm having dinner with a friend tonight, so I know with absolute certainty nothing will get done when I get home. Had to get it all in before work. 2000yrds in the pool and 45' of strength training. ST felt good. Pool was one of those days where it felt like the top and bottom halves of my body weren't connected to the same brain. Nothing went smoothly, but it got done and I didn't drown, so I call it a win.
2023-04-03 4:50 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Yes, it did feel a bit like burn out, but I am back now. Ran almost 17k yesterday (at an average of 6:19 per KM), felt great.

I have reached my goal weight now so I am increasing my calorie intake. It could be why I was so tired, not enough food. The increase will come mostly from fruit and veg (or so is the plan). Still being good on the alcohol intake, had one glass of red on Saturday, first one for about a month. Damp 2023 is going well.

My watch told me I'm overreaching, LOL you think?

Nice weekend! I do envy you playing football! My days of chasing a ball are long gone but I still miss it.

Happy new week everyone!
2023-04-03 4:52 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Up bright and early (4:30) to get in a swim and strength training before I headed into the office today. I'm having dinner with a friend tonight, so I know with absolute certainty nothing will get done when I get home. Had to get it all in before work. 2000yrds in the pool and 45' of strength training. ST felt good. Pool was one of those days where it felt like the top and bottom halves of my body weren't connected to the same brain. Nothing went smoothly, but it got done and I didn't drown, so I call it a win.

Not drowning is a good thing.

2023-04-03 7:12 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Nathalie, glad to hear you are feeling better and were able to get in 17k yesterday! Great work.

Gretchen, way to get in an early morning workout!

Glad to know I'm not the only one receiving that message. I almost feel like it's where it should be when it says I'm overreaching. I'm finally doing the amount of work I want to be, so I will take it yelling at me

Came in to work early today b/c I have an orthodontist appointment this afternoon (thinking about doing invisalign), so am going to do some yoga when I get home, then a little more work, then probably head to masters. It's the last Monday night I will be able to go for awhile because volleyball starts next week.
2023-04-03 12:23 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey everyone.  Still baking down here in Florida with temps in the 90s this week.  Spent the weekend in Columbus for one final "sit for five hours to watch two minutes of swimming" routine.  Daughter did great, new PRs in a couple of events so she's happy, and now a retired compettive swimmer.  Last week was a bit of a mess with travel and everything so hoping to get back at it this week.

@Gretchen:  have you looked at your stroke count on Garmin?  That's one way to verify the pool lengith.  I'd be going crazy, too.  I used Google maps to validate the one here in Orlando (25 yards on the dot, which jives with my stroke count).

@Nathalie:  hope you're feeling better - I hate that run down feeling and it seems to happen a little more often as I get older; I could use a 10-12 hours sleep night!

2023-04-04 1:32 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Gretchen:  have you looked at your stroke count on Garmin?  That's one way to verify the pool lengith.  I'd be going crazy, too.  I used Google maps to validate the one here in Orlando (25 yards on the dot, which jives with my stroke count).

You might well have just saved my sanity. Seriously. I tried google maps, but the image is a weird angle and the building blocks most of the pool, but looking at my stroke count I am now satisfied that 25yds is accurate (or, at least way more so than 20m!!). In my home pool when it was set short course (25yds), I was consistently at about 12.3 or 12.4 strokes per length. In the 25m pool I was using in Dec/Jan, it was 13.3-13.4 strokes per length. In this pool, I'm consistently around 12.2 strokes per length, which makes sense to me since I've been doing some strength training and know I'm stronger now. Great idea Mike!! Thanks!
2023-04-04 1:37 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
52' run today with 4x5' Z3-Z5 intervals. It was a good one, with intervals long enough to hit the HR and pace prescribed. Although, I'm a bit annoyed with my training plan, because there are some inconsistencies in it. For example, the workout today was written as 4x5' in Z3 in one area of TrainingPeaks, but then in a separate area written as 4x5' Z4/Z5. That makes it a bit difficult to know what I'm actually supposed to be doing, although I generally try to avoid Z3 as much as possible, thinking it pretty much the zone of wasted training. It is just a bit frustrating that a professional product used my a lot of people (80/20 plan purchased off TP) has these little issues, especially since this particular plan has been around for several years.

I might be overly sensitive to frustrations today too, since work has been full of nothing but frustrations for the last week or so.

Later today is a 45' Z2 ride, which I hope to get in before the sunsets on the balcony. Last time I did it on the balcony after dark, I got eaten alive by mosquitos. Downside to the Nile view? I guess it is worth the trade off.
2023-04-04 2:58 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

You might well have just saved my sanity. Seriously. I tried google maps, but the image is a weird angle and the building blocks most of the pool, but looking at my stroke count I am now satisfied that 25yds is accurate (or, at least way more so than 20m!!). In my home pool when it was set short course (25yds), I was consistently at about 12.3 or 12.4 strokes per length. In the 25m pool I was using in Dec/Jan, it was 13.3-13.4 strokes per length. In this pool, I'm consistently around 12.2 strokes per length, which makes sense to me since I've been doing some strength training and know I'm stronger now. Great idea Mike!! Thanks!

Mike saves the day! (and Gretchen's sanity). Well done!

2023-04-04 4:01 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

So, the old saying is that if you save someone's life, you are responsible for them. Does this apply to sanity too? Is Mike now responsible for my sanity?!?!?! Cause...to be honest...I could use a little adult supervision.
2023-04-04 7:23 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

So, the old saying is that if you save someone's life, you are responsible for them. Does this apply to sanity too? Is Mike now responsible for my sanity?!?!?! Cause...to be honest...I could use a little adult supervision.

I can't keep myself upright or out of trouble....and you want me supervising you??

Glad I was able to help with the OCD - I know...it matters.  I once got some unsolicited advice to stop worrying so much about the numbers and just train.  Problem is, the feedback from the numbers is one of things I really get the most out of training so I ignored them.  

2023-04-04 7:33 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove 52' run today with 4x5' Z3-Z5 intervals. It was a good one, with intervals long enough to hit the HR and pace prescribed. Although, I'm a bit annoyed with my training plan, because there are some inconsistencies in it. For example, the workout today was written as 4x5' in Z3 in one area of TrainingPeaks, but then in a separate area written as 4x5' Z4/Z5. That makes it a bit difficult to know what I'm actually supposed to be doing, although I generally try to avoid Z3 as much as possible, thinking it pretty much the zone of wasted training. It is just a bit frustrating that a professional product used my a lot of people (80/20 plan purchased off TP) has these little issues, especially since this particular plan has been around for several years. I might be overly sensitive to frustrations today too, since work has been full of nothing but frustrations for the last week or so. Later today is a 45' Z2 ride, which I hope to get in before the sunsets on the balcony. Last time I did it on the balcony after dark, I got eaten alive by mosquitos. Downside to the Nile view? I guess it is worth the trade off.

Z3 is an interesting zone for sure, and you're spot on with your view.  It very rarely has a use running except for some very specific training needs related to longer distance running, or at least that's what Daniels says.  For cycling I see more application and Friel uses it as a bridge from Z2 endurance to sweet spot work over a couple of weeks at the end of base training.  Unfortunately if left to my own body's tendencies I'd regress to Z3 riding as Z2 always feels too easy and Z4 is mentally tough.    

2023-04-05 2:41 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
1800yd swim this morning, with 10x50 pace. I hate pace sets, but at least it wasn't 20x50. Later this afternoon, I'll do an hour Z2 ride. I hope it flies by like yesterday's ride. I felt like I'd barely gotten on the bike when it was time to get off. I guess that's a good thing...Garmin says I was peddling the whole time, so it isn't that I blacked out and then came to just before my timer dinged or anything.

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 99

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 868 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland