Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 94

2023-01-09 11:43 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Hey Team! OMG I have been off the grid for about a month I think. Quick updates and then I will post my profile stuff.

First off, Happy New Year to everyone! How is it already January 9th?!
Also, welcome Helen! Love seeing a new (to me) face in the crew!
Welcome back to all the others! Love seeing how active you guys have been in the new year. Especially that Gretchen still has a million amazing training stories.

I have fallen completely off the workout-wagon. I've been pretty sick for the last week. It's not COVID, but it may as well be. Every day is different. I started out just being REALLY tired, then had bad headaches, dizziness, a cough out of nowhere, fuzzy brain, and now it's just a really bad cold. I'm hoping by tomorrow I feel well enough to workout because I'm going pretty stir-crazy.

All that is to say, I have some pretty big goals for the year!

1. I got a new adorable planner and am going to keep up with it to stay organized throughout the year. This will include daily schedules, journaling, habit tracking, and grocery shopping/meal planning. I've been keeping up with it pretty well, though without workouts and being able to socialize and such, haven't had much to plan...
2. Lose weight...of course. This seems to be the regular, but I'm hoping with my above goal, I will be able to get into a really good meal planning routine, lose some weight and actually keep it off.
3. Once I'm better, going to start a running plan and stick to it. Also need to get back in the pool, and am starting another PZ challenge next week.
4. Limited alcohol intake - I will still appreciate beer (and wine) as we all do, but I feel that my relationship with alcohol is unhealthy at times. I want to improve my relationship with alcohol by limiting intake to special occasions, and even though only having about 2 drinks.

Those are the big ones. I think it's going to be a good year and am excited to share it with all of you!

2023-01-09 1:16 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
NAME: Nicole

STORY: I live in Baltimore, MD (not far from Mike), and have been here for about 15 years. I grew up as an athlete doing all types of sports, including swimming, soccer, softball, basketball, volleyball and track/XC. As an adult, I play volleyball, football, and throw axes, in addition to running/triathlons. With my swimming and running background, multisport just made sense for me as an adult. I mostly do sprints, and have done a few Olys. It's a good motivator to stay in shape. I do best with a set plan, which is why I love my Garmin watch for running programs and my Peloton for biking ones. I almost never train on the bike outdoors b/c it's a pain where I live to get somewhere where I could get in a good workout and feel safe, other than doing figure 8s around my local park (Mike is familiar!).

FAMILY STATUS: Single with a fur-kitty (Raven)

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently pretty much nothing, as I've been sick the whole new year, but plan on doing a running program through my Garmin to train for a half marathon, running ~4x/week. This will help train me for the Seneca 7 (see below). I also do regular PZ programs on my Peloton, and plan on getting back in the pool and trying to get into a regular routine so I can stop losing my swimming shape and having to start from scratch all the time.

UPCOMING YEAR'S RACES: So far I'm only signed up for a sprint in June. Oh and a long relay called the Seneca 7 in April (7 people run 77.7 miles as a team, around Seneca Lake in New York). I will probably sign up for some running races, and potentially another tri or 2.

WEIGHT LOSS: I've been holding pretty steady in the mid-160s. Would like to at least get down to the mid-150s. That's going to mostly be diet. I get busy and am quick to go for easy, processed foods over healthy, whole foods. Trying to build good habits and have healthy food available. I have an air fryer, so plan on utilizing that a ton more. Cooking for 1 is pretty boring, but can also be really easy with the right prep.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I like to think I bring an upbeat outlook on training. I don't get into the numbers/data as much, but am able to find the silver lining on most things, especially for other people (it's definitely harder to find the silver lining on your own stuff sometimes), and like to provide words of encouragement whenever I can.
2023-01-09 1:25 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Welcome back, Nicole! 

Forgot to mention (as did Nicole) that we both swim with the same Masters group (occasionally) and we both really dislike one of the coaches but it's what we have around here.  Speaking of which I'll probably get back there in February for a couple of sessions before we migrate south for a few weeks at the end of February.

@Gretchen:  another day, another Egypt story/challenge; at least you weren't electrocuted. 

2023-01-09 3:36 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Today would have been a good day for that 13k walk Gretchen! Hope it’s sorted tomorrow and you can train.

Good to hear you are on track Mike, enjoy the Camera up your backside, it’s always ”fun” . (I hope you are talking about a colonoscopy or my comment will be weird) LOL

Nicole, I could have written number 4 on your list
I have the same relationship with alcohol, although I never drink too much anymore, as I get hungover after 2 glasses of wine so I need to limit to one drink when I do start drinking again after dry January. Sometimes I think I should give up for good but limiting it to special occasions sounds like a good compromise.

So, is opening a very good/expensive bottle of wine a special occasion in itself? I’d say yes

2023-01-09 10:44 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Good to hear you are on track Mike, enjoy the Camera up your backside, it’s always ”fun” . (I hope you are talking about a colonoscopy or my comment will be weird) LOL

"Enjoy the camera up your backside"...nope...that comment sounds weird, no matter what the context!
2023-01-10 3:43 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

"Enjoy the camera up your backside"...nope...that comment sounds weird, no matter what the context!

LOL

2023-01-10 3:55 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
1800m swim today in the COLD pool--they turned the heater off at some point. BRRRRR...two hours later, I'm still cold.

Later tonight, I'll do a 50' bike.

Did manage to swap around workouts to get in a bike last night too, so January's streak of no misses continues!
2023-01-10 6:36 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove 1800m swim today in the COLD pool--they turned the heater off at some point. BRRRRR...two hours later, I'm still cold. Later tonight, I'll do a 50' bike. Did manage to swap around workouts to get in a bike last night too, so January's streak of no misses continues!

A few years ago the indoor/outdoor pool I swam at (they covered it in the winter with a big tarp) had the heater break during the winter.  I took my daughter (I think about 11 or 12 at that point) to swim practice and I grabbed one of the empty lanes like I usually did.  I got through about 1200 before I couldn't stand it anymore, and the kids were turning blue so they cut it short.  Coach put the thermometer in and it ws 62 degrees.

Nice job keeping the streak alive, Gretchen.  The Machine rolls on!!

2023-01-10 7:07 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Welcome back, Nicole! 

Forgot to mention (as did Nicole) that we both swim with the same Masters group (occasionally) and we both really dislike one of the coaches but it's what we have around here.  Speaking of which I'll probably get back there in February for a couple of sessions before we migrate south for a few weeks at the end of February.

@Gretchen:  another day, another Egypt story/challenge; at least you weren't electrocuted. 

I'll hopefully see you there! February is my goal as well, as I'm traveling the next 2 weekends.
2023-01-10 7:10 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

I have the same relationship with alcohol, although I never drink too much anymore, as I get hungover after 2 glasses of wine so I need to limit to one drink when I do start drinking again after dry January. Sometimes I think I should give up for good but limiting it to special occasions sounds like a good compromise.

So, is opening a very good/expensive bottle of wine a special occasion in itself? I’d say yes

Yeah I'm interested to see how this goes for me. My main issue is when I'm socializing and having a good time, I just keep going, so have also considered completely stopping.

I think opening an expensive bottle of wine is definitely a special occasion that warrants drinking some of said wine
2023-01-10 7:15 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I gave in and went to urgent care last night. I started getting achy/chills/feverish, so figured they had to be able to help me get better quicker. They think it's a sinus infection and bronchitis (fun combo), so now I think I can register as a pharmacy with how many drugs I have in my house...They've helped a ton though. I felt wayyyy better this morning, though the prednisone-induced insomnia has already begun, starting at 3am. I finally got out of bed around 5 and got some work done, so at least it was productive. I actually don't mind it too much, though I'm feeling a little sleepy now as I'm about to hop into my first meeting of the day...

Depending on how today goes, I might attempt an actual workout tomorrow!

2023-01-10 7:19 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e
Originally posted by Rollergirl Nicole, I could have written number 4 on your list I have the same relationship with alcohol, although I never drink too much anymore, as I get hungover after 2 glasses of wine so I need to limit to one drink when I do start drinking again after dry January. Sometimes I think I should give up for good but limiting it to special occasions sounds like a good compromise. So, is opening a very good/expensive bottle of wine a special occasion in itself? I’d say yes
Yeah I'm interested to see how this goes for me. My main issue is when I'm socializing and having a good time, I just keep going, so have also considered completely stopping. I think opening an expensive bottle of wine is definitely a special occasion that warrants drinking some of said wine

Social occasions (and Ravens football games) are also my downfall.  It's easy to put down 4-5 drinks in 3 hours for me.  I'm a big guy and I have a pretty decent tolerance.

I've been doing well so far in "damp" January (I like that term), and I get a bonus push from prepping yesterday and today.  Had a Buckler non-alcoholic beer last night (in a bottle - fancy!!) last night when we went out for a bite to eat.  It wasn't bad, just a little watery.  Nothing today as clear liquids only. 

2023-01-10 3:19 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Welcome back Nicole. Sorry to hear its your turn to catch a bug. Sounds way worse than any of mine from the last year. Hopefully the drugs do their magic and your back on your feet ASAP.

Gretchen, Nice job finding a way to keep your January streak going. I'm also maintaining mine, today was run day 12 in a row, which equals the most consecutive days I've ever run. My SBR streak record is 65 days I think, a few years back now though.

Mike, Hope your 'early 50s gift' from the Dr was the least unpleasant as it can be. (i don't think it can ever be pleasant, so least awful is as good as it gets ) Enjoy the rest of your rest week.

My week has started ok. Monday, a rest day other than 15 minute easy jog to keep the streak alive. Tuesday and Wednesday both 45 min on Zwift, and 15 minute easy run. Tuesday was the first dark o'clock workout for the year, but this morning was the first pre-breakfast brick. Getting back into a routine.

I'll also have 2023's first swim at lunchtime today, if the place isn't to overrun with summer holiday school kids.

2023-01-10 3:23 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by nicole14e

Yeah I'm interested to see how this goes for me. My main issue is when I'm socializing and having a good time, I just keep going, so have also considered completely stopping.

I think opening an expensive bottle of wine is definitely a special occasion that warrants drinking some of said wine

Re cutting back on the booze. That's something I've definitely done as I've grown up over the last 5-10 years.

10-12 years ago, when I was still sailing regularly I was quite a big drinker. Unlike triathlon, its a sport that can be done with a drink in hand, and was a job that could be done very hungover (or still drunk on occasion). These days I definitely feel the effects more than when I was young, and I know it's no good for training or weightloss, so I have cut back signifigantly, it's very unusual for me to have more than 1/2 dozen beers in a week. Which is a bit of a change from partying till the wee small hours several times a week.

But, other than the final 2-3 month build for an Ironman, I've never stopped 100%. I think so long as you don't 'need' to drink, and it doesn't stop you enjoying other aspects of your life there's nothing wrong with moderation compared to prohibition. And an ice cold beer on a hot summers day is one of life's great pleasures.
2023-01-11 1:49 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@Nicole--sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. Hopefully the medications will help quickly!

This morning was a 70' treadmill run, followed by about 50' of strength training. All was good until about 55' in on the treadmill, when I accidentally bumped the kill switch on the console and the machine shut off instantaneously! I, however, did not shut off and ended up running right into the console, which kinda hurt a bit. Oops! Good thing I was completely alone in the gym at the time. I guess some people are taking that sign about the gym being closed seriously. :D I asked when I arrived and the lifeguard told me I could use the gym, so I see no problem!

As with so many things, I have an all or nothing attitude toward drinking. I'll admit that I don't have the healthiest relationship with alcohol. I don't seem to be the type of person who can have just one or two and be happy, move on with my day, etc. If I start drinking, I tend to drink until I go to bed, regardless of whether that first drink comes at lunch, or mid-afternoon, or after work. I rarely get drunk (anymore), but certainly tipsy to the point of clumsy is a good description. I also tend to drink multiple days in a row if I start drinking. So, I've actually tried to stop drinking completely, which has been both easier and more difficult than I thought it would be. It is more difficult in social situations. Not because anyone I know tries to pressure me into having a drink, but because I feel uncomfortable and out of place knowing that I'm the only one not drinking. No one else cares one bit and my real friends are happy I'm sticking to my sobriety. It is easier than I thought in that 99% of the time, I have no problems just forgoing it. I don't have any booze in my apartment in Cairo except gin. I loathe gin and only keep it for when my best friend visits. It is no temptation. It probably helps that the booze made in Egypt tastes like you could use it to clean the bathtub it was probably made in and you have to have blind hope that you'll wake up with vision the next morning if you drink it. That 1% of the time though...sometimes that's tough and I struggle.
2023-01-11 3:56 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Well I aced my test, everyone.  Yay!  Prepping was not a pleasant experience. 

Anyway, off day today obviously and maybe tomorrow as well depending on how I'm feeling and sleep tonight.  If I do something it'll be a short swim.  Back at it in force for Friday and Saturday.

Hope everyone is having a good week - glad your meds are getting the job done, Nicole!

2023-01-12 2:56 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@Mike--great job on acing your test! It is all in the preparation!

2300m in the pool today, dodging a couple of kids, which wasn't ideal, but in all honesty, they were pretty good. They stayed out of the way pretty well and since it is chilly here (by Egyptian standards), they were only in the pool for about 30 minutes.

Just found out my pool will be closed from Jan 20-Feb 24...ugh five weeks. Honestly, I might find another pool/gym for that month. I'm moving apartments during that period, so switching to the hotel across the street from my new apartment might be an option. I'll have to see what the situation is there. This gym/pool is so convenient to where I'm working though. I guess I should be happy that it is happening in January, not June.
2023-01-12 9:16 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove @Mike--great job on acing your test! It is all in the preparation! 

Literally LOL and spit out my coffee this morning.

2023-01-12 2:04 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by drfoodlove @Mike--great job on acing your test! It is all in the preparation! 

Literally LOL and spit out my coffee this morning.

It's the 6 P's isn't it.
Prior Preparation Prevents Poor Performance.

Might not be the best choice of words in this case tho
2023-01-12 2:13 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Gretchen, sounds like a graceful treadmill run. At least you no know the E-Stop works if you ever need it, running into the front is probably a better option than flying off the back.

My pool closes for 2-4 weeks in December for maintenance. I just skip swimming (any excuse will do) Your plan of finding another pool sounds like a much more constructive plan. If not, maybe get out the stretch cords and do some dryland workouts? They were popular down here when everything was closed during the lockdowns.

My week is ticking along. The kids have been at various grandparents homes the last few days enjoying the summer holidays. So I got an afternoon run in, like the old days. And this morning went to the beach for a long run and coffee with a friend before work. Ahh, the joys of being childfree.

I'm also up to day 14 of my run streak. My previous best was 12. So that's ticking along nicely. But I do have to say, having a treadmill now, and the ability to do a 15 minute jog before bed has helped keep the streak alive more than I would like to admit.

Have a good weekend guys
2023-01-13 5:10 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Trust me...I've been tossed off the back of a treadmill more times than I'd like to admit.

Today was supposed to be a 50' treadmill run, followed by 50' of strength training. I ended up calling the run after a bit more than 30 minutes--it just didn't feel right and my HR wouldn't climb, no matter how fast I was running. There is something about pushing the pace further than you ever have (at least on a treadmill, so you have metrics) and having your HR sit at 98bpm. It wasn't normal HR lag either. I did the entire 10' Z3 interval with my HR refusing to climb. So, I thought probably that is a good sign I need a bit of a break. Did my ST afterwards though. :P

2023-01-13 7:23 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Trust me...I've been tossed off the back of a treadmill more times than I'd like to admit. Today was supposed to be a 50' treadmill run, followed by 50' of strength training. I ended up calling the run after a bit more than 30 minutes--it just didn't feel right and my HR wouldn't climb, no matter how fast I was running. There is something about pushing the pace further than you ever have (at least on a treadmill, so you have metrics) and having your HR sit at 98bpm. It wasn't normal HR lag either. I did the entire 10' Z3 interval with my HR refusing to climb. So, I thought probably that is a good sign I need a bit of a break. Did my ST afterwards though. :P

I've called runs/rides more often from my HR climbing way too high too quickly.  I've never experienced the "too low" phenomenon.  Sounds like a good call to cut it short.

2023-01-13 7:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog My week is ticking along. The kids have been at various grandparents homes the last few days enjoying the summer holidays. So I got an afternoon run in, like the old days. And this morning went to the beach for a long run and coffee with a friend before work. Ahh, the joys of being childfree. I'm also up to day 14 of my run streak. My previous best was 12. So that's ticking along nicely. But I do have to say, having a treadmill now, and the ability to do a 15 minute jog before bed has helped keep the streak alive more than I would like to admit. Have a good weekend guys

Once we removed the "driving to school" and "picking up from school" commitments once our daughter got to college it was a lot easier to work out first thing in the morning for me. 

Nice work on your streak.  You should join the 30 runs in 30 days challenge.  One guy on there is going on ten years straight.    I think my record is like six. 

ETA:  that's six days, not six years

Edited by jmhpsu93 2023-01-13 11:45 AM
2023-01-13 11:49 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Back at it after a couple of recovery days from being prodded.  Tried to do Stage 2 of Tour de Zwift...wifi wigged out on me so I missed the start, so I did a sweet spot workout instead which was more or less how I planned on doing the stage anyway.  Then did some strength and core work.  Short run tomorrow morning then we fly down to Florida for a week...this will be vacation so no work laptop.  Looking to get some nice outdoor runs in (and outdoor swims) though it's supposed to be chilly down there this weekend.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

2023-01-14 9:48 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Yesterday was a bike/swim, not exactly brick (in the wrong order, if nothing else!), but without much rest between them. The pool opening at 9am really screws my normal scheduling all to heck. I'll get used to it at some point, but it still feels weird to swim in the middle of the morning.

Today is rest day! It feels like I need it, again--just tired enough to appreciate the day, but not so tired that I don't think a day will be enough. Channeling all my energies into working then today (work weeks start on Sunday here).

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 94

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 845 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland