Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2023-01-15 3:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Hello everybody!

Hope you’re feeling better now Nicole
Well done on acing your test Mike! I have to admit that I do enjoy, err, not enjoy the actual process nor the prep for such a procedure but I like the idea of emptying myself, it’s a sort of cleansing.
Way to go Andrew! Keep that streak alive!
Gretchen, good work on rearranging your schedule around closed pools and opening hours to make your workouts.

Things are ticking along nicely over in sunny (not) Sweden. Managed to follow the plan (2 bikes, 3 runs, one strength/pool) last week.

This week is pool week… we’ll see, and also I am going to hockey on Thursday so I am having difficulty planning one of my rides.
I may replace by another run (easier to do during my lunch break) if I can’t manage to get up early and do it before work (let’s be honest here, the chances of that happening are rather remote).

Still tracking calories and staying under, with huge help from the 0 alcohol policy.

Have a great Sunday and a super week!

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-01-15 11:38 AM

2023-01-15 2:15 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
My week was good, The disaster of December is behind us and I'm getting back to where I was in November.

2 swims, 1,500m total.
4 bikes, all zwift, 3hr 30min
7 runs, 3hr 10 min.
0 Strength and mobility

7 and a quarter hours total SBR for the week. Which is my 2nd biggest week of SBR since January 2022.

Diet, not so good. Need to get back into logging and hitting my targets.

My goals for the week,
Swim 2-3 times, one of which is a longer (2000m) swim on the weekend
Bike 4 times, long ride 2 hours.
Run, keep the streak going another 7 days, long run 90 mintues
S&M, at least 2 decent sessions.
2023-01-15 2:24 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Gretchen, That low heart rate experience sounds weird. Are you sure your HRM was telling you the truth? Sometimes I need to pause and manually read my pulse for a few seconds to check that it's at least in the ball park. Wise decision to cut it short and have a rest though.

@Mike, Hope you are enjoying your escape to Florida. Yeah, some of the run streakers are amazing with their consistency. Although I admire what they do, I know it's only a matter of time before our little monsters make me sick again, or I roll my ankle or something. And if that happens I just can't see how pushing through is the smart answer.

My previous best was 12 days running. But if we take any SBR combination, I've done about 65 days consecutively before. Swim days are rest days

@Nathalie, Not sure I can agree with you about the 'cleansing' haha. Great job sticking to your plan, for training and calorie counting. Keep up the good work.

@Nicole, How are you doing? have you kicked your sickness hopefully?

Have a good week team.
2023-01-16 1:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Brickish workout today--60' ride at the apartment, followed immediately by the walk to the gym (7') and then a 30' Z2 run on the treadmill. Not too bad...I've had longer T1s (seriously). Followed that up with some strength training and I'm ready to tackle the day. I like being done with all the workouts before 9, it almost feels like an extra rest day. Now...just to avoid eating like it is a rest day (a downfall of mine...all that extra time is given over to making and eating food like I won't get fed again for a week).

Sympathies to Mike and Nicole...that game was a heart breaker. I only caught the last quarter or so (stupid time difference), but it looked like the Ravens played well right up until that interception. Then the wheels fell off. I am a Cubs fan, so I'm used to saying this...there's always next year.

Edited by drfoodlove 2023-01-16 1:03 AM
2023-01-16 5:59 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by Rollergirl

I am going to hockey on Thursday so I am having difficulty planning one of my rides.
I may replace by another run (easier to do during my lunch break) if I can’t manage to get up early and do it before work (let’s be honest here, the chances of that happening are rather remote).

well, believe it or not but I have already done my ride. This morning, before work....
2023-01-16 6:46 AM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey everyone! Gretchen, agreed, that game was good until that silly interception. Definitely there is next year.

Thanks all for your thoughts! I am WAY better. The drugs kicked in pretty quick, though I had a lingering cough while my throat healed that seems to be mostly gone. I did a ride last Wednesday and overall felt good but by the end I was coughing a ton bc I couldn't take deep breaths.

I've been in NY all weekend at Seneca Lake. I used all my meds as an excuse not to drink much (I don't like NY wine much anyway so don't miss it when I can't do tastings). I DD'd Saturday, and just had 2 Guinnesses and maybe one other beer Saturday. Sunday had a delicious beer called a Goatmeal Stout at this place called 2 goats. Partway through the 2nd I was informed they were 12%, so got a little tipsy, had another stout at the next place, but stopped drinking after that for the night so I could take my meds later without too much worry.

I haven't been eating well this weekend, but head home today and plan on having a very healthy few days before I head to Jamaica on Friday! Gonna do a few rides this week, and then plan my running/strength/yoga plan for Jamaica so I stay on track!

2023-01-16 6:50 AM
in reply to: #5284036

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I also want to add that it is validating hearing that some of you have similar relationships to alcohol and we are all a work in progress ?? thank you so much for sharing that. I agree, moderation is nice, but I'm trying to be more cognizant of those times when I want to blow past moderation and keep the party going.

Mike, nice job on the test! Definitely sounds very unpleasant, but I don't disagree with Nathalie that the silver lining is a nice cleansing, lol.

Gretchen, kicking ass per usual, I see. Glad you weren't hurt on the treadmill. Hope you can figure out the pool situation!

Andrew, love to hear you're back in a groove! The holidays are tough for sure!

Nathalie, nice job squeezing in your workout this morning!!
2023-01-16 7:38 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hello, fine people, from sunny but chilly Florida.  Yes, that Ravens game was heartbreaking and they have a lot of decisions to make in the off season.  I'm exhausted from those late night games.

Wrapped a recovery week with a good workout at the Y on Saturday and then almost five miles walking pretty fast around here.  Short swim in the pool as well.  The resort we're staying at has two lap pools, one that is right outside our window so I have zero excuses this week.  Starting Base 2 this week which just changes the bike workouts a little (anaerobic intervals, and a little higher intensity on the endurance rides, plus my daughter wants to do a spin class once a week with me) and I enter "maximum strength" phase in the strength training portion.  Lower reps, heavier weights - just need to be careful to not injure myself.

Heading down to the pool now - hope everyone has a great week!

2023-01-16 7:09 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

, Massachusetts
Group focus: beginners - I’m doing my first sprint in early June

Story: have always been active. Avid biker before life got in the way and swam and played soccer in high school, but that was 30 years ago. Big golfer and skier and have also been doing a lot more hiking in recent years. I actually started training for a tri in 2020 before a bike mishap left me with a pelvis broken in 3 places, 3 broken ribs, and a massive concussion. Fast forward to 2022 and life finally paused to the point I could seriously get back into the mindset of training. My wife is a sub 3:20 marathoner, so I have a good sounding board as I’ve gone through this adventure.

Family: married with a little one

Current training: started with a 20 week plan from this site in November just to build back mileage in the water and on the bike. I’m not going to lie, I hate running, but will be focusing on that more in the coming weeks. I’m a CPA, so this time of year is a bit “compressed,” for lack of a word more appropriate of a family forum…

Upcoming races: early June and late August. The race in August is the one I care about because it’s literally outside a family friend’s house. We have a place to stay and chill before and after the race, so I want to do well there. I figured I’d do one in June to see how a sprint is overall, and then I can fine tune for August. I’m going into this for the experience and the social aspect, but I also know I’m competitive on some level and don’t want to just go through the motions for motions sake.

That’s about it. Love reading the stories and bios of everyone who has posted. I understand the forum has undergone several changes and isn’t as active as it once was, but the training modules interface and simplicity just works for me. I’m also just a fan of forums versus the FBs and Reddits of the world. Personal preference.

Cheers!
2023-01-16 9:34 PM
in reply to: #5284037

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Welcome, thin_concrete! What’s your real name? Or, at least, what can we call you?
2023-01-17 1:36 AM
in reply to: thin_concrete

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Welcome Thin! (We can call you Thin if you like)
What’s CPA?
Looking forward to exchanging with you and help out if you have questions.

About hating running, when I started I hated it too (WTF, no ball, what’s the point of that?), I was not a big fan of cycling and although I feel like a fish in water, doing laps in the pool was (still is) the most boring thing I know. But I grew to enjoy triathlon as a whole and training for individual sport became all from bearable (swimming laps) to enjoyable (a good run intervals session with my club on Wednesday is one of the highlights of my week)

2023-01-17 4:24 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Bike this morning, while watching the Bucs embarrass themselves in the game (although, honorary mention of the Cowboy's kicker who missed four extra point attempts in a row)--45' of Z2 cruising. Then, 1700m of swimming later in the morning, all of which was done at the pace of molasses on a cold morning. It was just one of those days where the water felt dense.
2023-01-17 5:57 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Welcome, thin_concrete...or maybe just TC?  Like the guy on Magnum PI?  

Sounds like that was a horrible bike accident.  Glad you're all the way back together.  Your attitude towards your first sprint is a good one, just enjoy the ride and learn from the experience, then learn how to race.  

@Nathalie - way to get up before work and get it done.  It took me like 15 years of marriage before I could adjust to my wife's preference of getting up early and working out.  Now I love it (after the first few minutes).  CPA = Certified Public Accountant...essentially it's a license to practice accounting in the public domain here in the U.S. (that's a bit oversimplified, but I'll save you the man-splaining )

@Gretchen:  looks like we're all going to have a pity party for us NFL fans; I hate Brady with a passion so watching him lose gives me great pleasure, but the Ravens have underachieved for about a decade so I'm not throwing stones in my glass house; I've also had those slow water days, but for me it's like the water is thinner and I can't grab it and get no feel vs. heavy if that makes sense

Speaking of swimming, my daughter and I got in 2000 SCM yesterday.  Apparently there was a period in the U.S. in the late 90s through about 2008 or so where a lot of lap pools were done in SCM...two of the resorts we stay at here in Orlando are like that plus there were a couple in Baltimore where I swam a few years ago.  Anyway, did some hard 100s coming in under 1:40 which is speedy for me, plus some all-out 25s in 18.XX.  My daughter is also hell-bent on getting me to learn fly.  BTW, she hasn't swam in almost two months and did her final 100 off the wall in 1:12.  SMH

2023-01-17 10:30 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Welcome TC! We love to have a new "face" to the forum, and are definitely here to help with questions, recommendations, or just support/a sounding board! I'm a sprint tri person as well, I love the short distances. Excited to see how yours go this year!

Mike, awesome that you have a convenient lap pool and are getting out there with your daughter. You're def going to have a leg up on me when we make it back to masters! Especially with your daughter kicking your butt!

I had a late vball match last night (9pm, 30+ minutes away, ugh), so I vegged for a little after getting home, then worked a bit, and got a 30 minute ride in right before my friend picked me up for vball. This might be the trick to get me through these late games. It was a nice burst of energy that carried me through our match. I was a little lightheaded by the end of my ride, but felt fine after a few minutes of recovery. I think I just shocked my body since I haven't done much to get my heart rate that high yet this year.

Woke up this morning to the lovely sound of my cat having a hairball, so I am a bit tired, but got in 20 minutes of strength (arms/upper body) and 10 minutes of core. Man am I out of shape.
2023-01-17 1:07 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

, Massachusetts
Yeah - duh, name might be important!

I’m Jay. Nice to meet you all!
2023-01-17 1:38 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Nice to meet you, Jay!

2023-01-17 2:09 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by thin_concrete

Yeah - duh, name might be important!

I’m Jay. Nice to meet you all!

Welcome to the group Jay.

Sounds like quite the bike mishap, glad that you made a full recovery and are back for another go.
2023-01-17 2:28 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Mike, SCM? so that means a 25 meter pool right? In this part of the world (i.e. everywhere not the USA), where we don't use 'freedom units' that's just called a normal lap pool. Haha. 1:12/100m? Damn.

@Gretchen, Nice job ticking the workouts off. Lots of little bricks in the wall keep adding up. Commiseration on your foosball game.

@Nicole, Bike + Vball + Strength + core? Nice job ticking all the boxes. Keep it up

@Jay, so what's your training looking like so far?

I'm sorry guys, but I have to disagree with those of you who hate running. For the tri sports, running is very much my first love. If I had to step away from tri and only do one, it'd be running. My long run is usually my favorite workout of the week. I'm a slow, crappy runner... but it is the one I enjoy the most. I'd ditch swimming in a heartbeat though. I enjoy the actual swimming, but the logistics, getting to the pool, finding a free lane etc. it's just a pain in the butt. I lust after an endless pool... if we ever come into enough money to justify one of those my opinion would likely improve though.

I've been struggling with getting up and going early this week. Both morning workouts have been later and shorter than planned. Starting when Miss 2 wakes me up, drop her in front of coco-melon (essentially crack cocaine for toddlers) and hitting the treadmill/trainer.

2 short treadmill runs, 1 Z2 Zwift, 1 swim and 1 stretching session so far this week.

Hope everyone is having a good week.
2023-01-17 4:07 PM

, Massachusetts
My weekly schedule is generally 3-4 days of swimming, 3-4 days of biking, 2 days of weights/resistance training, and 1 running day. I’m trying to get 2,000-3,500M of swimming per week, 20-40 miles of seat time, and a 2-3.5mi run on my running day. My running pace is generally in the 10:3X neighborhood but would like to get to 10/sub-10 by June’s event.

When winter wanes/breaks, I’ll probably do a more rigid 3-3-2 schedule of swimming, biking, and running for a bit and then add a 3rd day of running and pull a day of either biking or swimming per week. I’ll build in more tempo work for running at that time.
2023-01-17 7:20 PM

, Massachusetts
Here’s a (potentially) silly question - do people find that they perform comparably against apps like Zwift? Outperform? Underperform?

I ask because I feel like the gearing to get moving and hold speed in Zwift is off - harder - than what I would be on a normal road ride. If training on such platforms is harder than a comparable ride in real life, that’s fine. I just don’t want it going the other way.
2023-01-17 7:23 PM

, Massachusetts
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Welcome Thin! (We can call you Thin if you like)
What’s CPA?
Looking forward to exchanging with you and help out if you have questions.

About hating running, when I started I hated it too (WTF, no ball, what’s the point of that?), I was not a big fan of cycling and although I feel like a fish in water, doing laps in the pool was (still is) the most boring thing I know. But I grew to enjoy triathlon as a whole and training for individual sport became all from bearable (swimming laps) to enjoyable (a good run intervals session with my club on Wednesday is one of the highlights of my week)

Thanks! Great to hear that running clicked after some time. My wife has been saying the same for years, but I haven’t caved. Yet!

A CPA is the US equivalent of a Chartered Accountant in most of the rest of the world.

2023-01-17 7:50 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

My weekly schedule is generally 3-4 days of swimming, 3-4 days of biking, 2 days of weights/resistance training, and 1 running day. I’m trying to get 2,000-3,500M of swimming per week, 20-40 miles of seat time, and a 2-3.5mi run on my running day. My running pace is generally in the 10:3X neighborhood but would like to get to 10/sub-10 by June’s event.

When winter wanes/breaks, I’ll probably do a more rigid 3-3-2 schedule of swimming, biking, and running for a bit and then add a 3rd day of running and pull a day of either biking or swimming per week. I’ll build in more tempo work for running at that time.

For what it's worth, I think you should be running more frequently. Most generic plans are 3 days each SBR. I wouldn't want to be running any less than that. Even if you just add a short brick run (1 or 2 miles) after some of your bikes, it all adds up. At the end of the day, triathlon is won or lost on the run.

Here’s a (potentially) silly question - do people find that they perform comparably against apps like Zwift? Outperform? Underperform?

I ask because I feel like the gearing to get moving and hold speed in Zwift is off - harder - than what I would be on a normal road ride. If training on such platforms is harder than a comparable ride in real life, that’s fine. I just don’t want it going the other way.

There are no silly questions.

I do 99% of my bike training on zwift, usually on erg mode doing a planned workout. Generally speaking an hour indoor riding is harder than an hour outdoor riding because there's no stop signs, tailwinds or coasting, you're working the whole time.

To get more specific I find climbing on zwift I'm slower than I would expect to be on the road, but on the flats faster than I would expect. But to be honest, your speed on an indoor training platform doesn't really mean anything. Its all about watts, heart rate and RPE. Those all transfer to real riding just fine. For example, if you ride up alp du zwift at 75% FTP, you're going to have a much, much lower speed than if you spend the same amount of time doing laps of tempus fugit at 75% FTP. But your workout was the same.

So you should focus on your effort, (power meter/HR monitor, whatever you use) and your speed/distance is what it is but doesn't really mean anything.
2023-01-18 5:00 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by bulfrog

For what it's worth, I think you should be running more frequently. Most generic plans are 3 days each SBR. I wouldn't want to be running any less than that. Even if you just add a short brick run (1 or 2 miles) after some of your bikes, it all adds up. At the end of the day, triathlon is won or lost on the run.

I agree with Andrew, to get better (and start liking running more!), you need to run more than once a week. Running more frequently, and paradoxically slower, is going to get you further than doing one "long" run a week (long being relative to the distances you want to race). There are a number of good books out there about running, Hal Higdon springs to mind, but they basically say the same thing...run shorter distances more often at a slower pace and you'll improve. Do you train with HR or RPE? If RPE, I'd suggest you get yourself a HR monitor and start with HR, because RPE tends to put you right in zone X, where you are running too hard to properly recover before your next run (although, at one run a week, this might not be true), but not hard enough to get the benefits of sprint training. There is a school of thought about running slow...Zone 2...it feels really slow most of the time...but it has helped me develop my abilities in and love for running over the last several years.
2023-01-18 5:04 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Another run swim brick, separated with the mini workout of getting swimsuit on the wet body--when will I learn?!?!? Maybe after today. I did an hour run on the treadmill, which sucked pretty hard. It felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest during the first 45 minutes, so all the Z3 intervals were really, really hard. Then after 45', everything loosened up and the last 15' felt great. The pool, on the other hand, was not great...again. Foot cramps started within the first 250m and then in the next 250m I was starting to have calf crams. What does one do when they're having calf cramps in the pool? Kick sets with fins...naturally. Ummm...terrible idea. Ended up cramping all the way up and had to bag the workout after about 1000m of the planned 1500. I hate getting into the pool for less than a mile...feels like a waste of the good conditioner I use to keep my hair from feeling like straw after swimming. :D
2023-01-18 7:27 AM

, Massachusetts
Yeah - thanks, Andrew and Gretchen. I will be adding another running day soon. I struggle to breathe deeply and completely in cold weather so I’m stuck on a treadmill. It’s a mindset though, so I’ll look to add a treadmill stint with one of my weight training days.

I do have a HRM and am looking at pedal based power meters - I agree those are the metrics to watch, along with watts and cadence.
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 859 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland