Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 100

2023-01-18 12:15 PM
in reply to: thin_concrete

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Andrew, I'm with you. Running is definitely my favorite of the 3, especially for ease of getting the workout in. I don't have to drive or bike anywhere to be able to complete it, and don't have to bring any gear with me other than clothes and shoes to do it. I bike SO much more now with my Peloton, though I know it's not EXACTLY the same. But I really think it's going to make a huge difference when I finally get to do a tri again, since I never really trained for the bike at all before.

Jay, I can't speak with Zwift as I've never used it.

Gretchen, the cramping sounds horrible! Sorry to hear you had to cut it short, I totally get that frustration. I wonder what is causing you to cramp so badly. I'd be curious to watch your kick, though I think it's not just in swimming that you've been experiencing cramping, right?

2023-01-18 12:21 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Got in a 45 minute PZ ride this morning. Gonna try to do some core and stretching tonight as well. Still working on my bathing suit bod for the trip Friday

2023-01-19 6:59 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Good morning, all.  Welcome, Jay!  Great conversations here.  I'll pile on:  run more frequently, even if it's just a short one before or after a strength session; I agree pool logistics suck, running is my first passion as well and I've misssed it badly when my back was a wreck; Zwift is harder than outdoors for the reasons Andrew mentioned.

Got in a 4 mile run with some sprint strides, and some swim practice yesterday led by Coach Mickella (my daughter), who was trying to teach me a workable dolphin kick and hypoxic breathing.  She's mean to me.  

2023-01-19 11:05 AM
in reply to: #5284046

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
She only wants what's best for you, Mike! Lol

Got in another 30 minute PZ ride this morning, followed by 10 min of core. Figured I wouldn't get one in tmrw so this was my last chance before Jamaica. Gonna look up some body weight classes to do while I'm down there, or just focus on running...or track down the gym they probably have!
2023-01-20 1:19 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hypoxic breathing sounds terrible. Have you recently redone your will and named her a beneficiary? :P I have a major mental block about breathing the pool, probably stemming from the two times I almost drown when I was a kid. I have worked for years to get to the point where I can breathe every three strokes, bilaterally. Just recently I've been able to get to 4, 5, 6, 7 for a few lengths, then my brain is all like...wait...we remember this. Let's not do it again...and I just can not continue. My coach is always trying to rationalize it with me...that it takes me about 25" to swim one length (yes, I'm that slow) and I can certainly hold my breath for 25", so why can't I swim the length without breathing? Don't know the answer to that one, other than it is all in my mind and my mind wins every time when I put my face in the water.

Two hour trainer ride this morning, mostly Z2, with a few Z3 intervals kicked in during the first half to keep things interesting. It felt good, all except my saddle, which is tilted a bit high, but I finally got it to stop slipping down, I don't want to adjust it and get it back to slipping again!

Later I'm going out sailing on the Nile in a felluca (small sailboat) with a friend and a group of her friends (I know one person in Cairo...). Here's hoping I don't get knocked into the water!
2023-01-20 9:54 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

, Massachusetts
I banged out 30 minutes on the hamster wheel (treadmill). I can’t say I enjoyed it, but I feel relieved that I actually did it. If that makes sense. It should only get easier from here (the motivation to get on the treadmill, not the running itself, though I’m sure that will happen in due time too).

I’m outside Boston and we’re getting some appreciable snow! Finally! I’m going to shovel later, but I’m going skiing tomorrow!!!

2023-01-21 2:11 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Jay--I don't know about the motivation to get on the treadmill getting better with more usage...but whatever works for you! Good job getting it done. I do not...repeat...do not...envy you getting snow. I hate snow and am more than happy to be skipping this winter.

As for me...I attempted the long considered run to the Pyramids this morning. Attempted being the operative word. GoogleMaps failed me and there was no feasible route to Giza that wasn't at least double my scheduled training. The overall route was 14km when I started. I ran 11km and still had 9km to go, thanks to a detour caused by a pedestrian bridge over the metro line being closed. At that point, traffic was starting to get bad, and since you have to run in the street, dodging cars, donkeys, bikes, goats, pedestrians, various bodily fluids and solids (human and animal), and potholes, it wasn't feeling very safe to continue. I called an Uber and went home. It is too early in the season to get hurt trying to nearly double my workouts or to get hit by another vehicle. Glad I tried. Disappointed I didn't succeed, but I do not think I'll be attempting this again.

Next week I move from downtown Cairo to Zamalek, a small island in the middle of the Nile where most of the foreigners live. It is much quieter and much more liberal (comparatively speaking--you still can't do 90% of what you want to do). I'll be switching gyms to one just across the street from my new apartment. Pool is nice (still closed for the first three weeks of FEbruary--apparently all the pools in Cairo close for maintenance in February), gym isn't as nice as the one I'm currently at, but the pool opens at 6, instead of 9, which is much more in line with my preferred training schedule.
2023-01-21 2:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by thin_concrete

I banged out 30 minutes on the hamster wheel (treadmill). I can’t say I enjoyed it, but I feel relieved that I actually did it. If that makes sense. It should only get easier from here (the motivation to get on the treadmill, not the running itself, though I’m sure that will happen in due time too).

I’m outside Boston and we’re getting some appreciable snow! Finally! I’m going to shovel later, but I’m going skiing tomorrow!!!

Well done for getting it done! I don’t know if the motivation gets better but once it’s become a habit, you just do it because that’s what you do, like brushing your teeth.

I am there right now. The lunch break workouts are generally the ones I have problems motivating myself to do but at the moment, I have no problems doing them. Yesterday I had to finish something before I could take my break, I was hungry and it would have been easy to eat and get back to work but it was simply not an option.
Now, if I could make a habit of dragging my arse to the pool every week, things would be perfect. Not quite there yet (and by not quite, I mean not at all)

Hypoxic breathing sounds like a disease or a condition. How are you? Not so great, my Hypoxic is playing up again.

Gretchen, I can hold my breath for 25 seconds too but you need more oxygen to be able to swim for that length of time so it’s not surprising really. I used to be able to swim a length under water, haven’t done it for a while. I may try next time. Could be a motivation to go to the pool…

Thanks for the latest episode of Gretchen’s adventures in Egypt, today’s episode, Gretchen runs to the pyramids was very uncertaining.

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-01-21 5:01 AM
2023-01-21 10:37 AM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hello from Jamaica! Had a long travel day yesterday so didn't work out. I was tired and went to bed relatively early. Had my room to myself last night so wanted to enjoy the solitude while I could. Woke up to our amazing view (will add a pic at some point), read a bit, then walked to the gym. Got in a 10 minute tread run, followed by 10 min of core and a 20 min lower body strength session.

I was thinking not drinking much would be challenging, but after yesterday I think I might actually be fine. Most of their drinks are way too sweet. We'll see if this changes, but I think I might stick to water most days and just drink a bit at night if I'm feeling it.
2023-01-21 10:40 AM
in reply to: #5284112

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
My masters coach makes us breathe every stroke. I tried bilateral every 3rd stroke when I first started and he yelled at me, said if I don't need to breathe every stroke, I'm not pushing hard enough in the intervals...bc of this, I struggle staying underwater on my pushes off the wall...

Gretchen, hopefully you can try that run again with the bridge open, sounds way cool! Definitely smart not to push too long though.

Hat, great job getting it done! Some days will be easy, some will not. Just keep with it!
2023-01-22 3:12 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

Hello from Jamaica!

I was thinking not drinking much would be challenging, but after yesterday I think I might actually be fine. Most of their drinks are way too sweet. We'll see if this changes, but I think I might stick to water most days and just drink a bit at night if I'm feeling it.

Hello! Glad you made it safely! Good news about the sweet drinks! That will be a great help!

2023-01-22 3:22 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

My masters coach makes us breathe every stroke. I tried bilateral every 3rd stroke when I first started and he yelled at me, said if I don't need to breathe every stroke, I'm not pushing hard enough in the intervals...bc of this, I struggle staying underwater on my pushes off the wall...

Gretchen, hopefully you can try that run again with the bridge open, sounds way cool! Definitely smart not to push too long though.

Hat, great job getting it done! Some days will be easy, some will not. Just keep with it!

I am no coach and I see why he may think you need to breath as much as possible but unless you have PERFECT technique, I’d think this would slow you down more than anything. I know it would for me.

2023-01-22 5:31 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl
Originally posted by nicole14e My masters coach makes us breathe every stroke. I tried bilateral every 3rd stroke when I first started and he yelled at me, said if I don't need to breathe every stroke, I'm not pushing hard enough in the intervals...bc of this, I struggle staying underwater on my pushes off the wall... Gretchen, hopefully you can try that run again with the bridge open, sounds way cool! Definitely smart not to push too long though. Hat, great job getting it done! Some days will be easy, some will not. Just keep with it!
I am no coach and I see why he may think you need to breath as much as possible but unless you have PERFECT technique, I’d think this would slow you down more than anything. I know it would for me.

Dude gave me a bunch of crap, too.  I have huge lung capacity (had it tested for medical issue), so I typicall breathe every four strokes when just cruising and then 4/4/2/2 when hammering it.  2-stroke breathing definitely slows me down.

2023-01-22 3:50 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Rollergirl
Originally posted by nicole14e My masters coach makes us breathe every stroke. I tried bilateral every 3rd stroke when I first started and he yelled at me, said if I don't need to breathe every stroke, I'm not pushing hard enough in the intervals...bc of this, I struggle staying underwater on my pushes off the wall... Gretchen, hopefully you can try that run again with the bridge open, sounds way cool! Definitely smart not to push too long though. Hat, great job getting it done! Some days will be easy, some will not. Just keep with it!

Dude gave me a bunch of crap, too.  I have huge lung capacity (had it tested for medical issue), so I typicall breathe every four strokes when just cruising and then 4/4/2/2 when hammering it.  2-stroke breathing definitely slows me down.

Is this the same masters coach who makes like unpleasant for Nicole? He continues to be a tool
2023-01-22 4:11 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@ Gretchen, A run to the pyramids sounds pretty epic. It's a shame your course got interrupted so you didn't make it. I 2nd that you need to have another crack. Or even commute to the pyramids and run around there? Hope your new pool works out for you, and there are less electrical cables dangling in the water this time. Good job getting in all your workouts, as always

@ Nicole, Enjoy Jamaica. Sounds terrible, not at all jealous. Good job on getting some training done when you're on holiday.

@ Jay, Nice work getting on the hamster wheel for a run. I've also spent a lot of time inside training recently. I don't know if stating to 'enjoy' the treadmill is the right word. Enjoying running is something like my weekend long run with the dog and a friend followed with coffee. For me it's more making the treadmill part of your routine, once its just something you do its easier to keep doing it.

What do you do to entertain yourself on the treadmill? For me Netflix etc. or some sort of sports streaming makes a huge difference. Just staring at the wall is painful.

@ Mike. I would make sure you don't eat or drink anything your daughter gives you over the next few weeks. Sounds like she's after her inheritance. haha.

I hit the wall hard this week. Going from almost no training in December straight back into 7ish hours a week caught up on me. Most of the week was a bit of a struggle, But the wheels definitely fell off in the last 1/3rd of Saturdays run. I got myself so tired I even had a nap on my in-laws sofa when we were visiting Saturday afternoon. Skipped Saturday evenings ride, still shattered Sunday morning so skipped that ride too, and by Sunday evening starting to show the old perma-cough symptoms again (miss 2 was a bit chesty during the week) And this morning Garmin has my 'body battery' peaking at 21%.... (not that that means anything, but matches how I feel)

Ended up with
Swim, x1. 1000m
Bike, x2, 1hr 15min
Run, x7, 3hr 3min
Strength and Mobility, x2 sessions, 20 minutes.

So I'm going rearrange my week, take Monday/Tuesday off. (Not sure if I'll try to run a very easy mile each day to keep the streak alive or let it die) and hopefully by Wednesday I'll be back to myself, and have kicked this cough.

2023-01-23 12:33 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@Andrew! I hope you aren't getting sick again!! You've had everyone's share of it this year!

@Nicole--Jamaica sounds nice about now. Hope you have a great time!

@Jay-I'm with Andrew, you need to find some entertainment for the treadmill, or you'll quickly go insane. Fun fact...the treadmill was originally designed as a torture device for English prisoners (https: // daily.jstor.org/treadmills-were-meant-to-be-atonement-machines/), although the early design looked a bit more like a stairmaster than our modern treadmills. I still think of it like this every time I have to use one.

Bit of a whirlwind morning for me. Did a 30' run outside at 4:15am, followed by a 64' interval bike, followed by strength training. It was supposed to be a brick, but I figured if I did the run first, there was a greater chance of it being a nice, quiet run. HA! It was a 30' run and I counted the number of taxis that honked at me to see if I wanted a ride (taxis honk at foreigners all the time to let them know they are free to take them anywhere they want...as if we don't have a signal to let them know we'd like a ride!--it gets tiresome and annoying sometimes). 30' run at 4:15am...47 honks. It was not the quiet run I was hoping for. I'm beginning to think there is never a time for a quiet run in Cairo, which doesn't really surprise me, because this city is never quiet.

2023-01-23 6:17 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Dammit, Andrew, I caught your cold.  I'm popping Zicam and Airborne like candy to try to ward off the worst of it...sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't.  I did plow through my long day yesterday with 30 minutes in the pool and 75 on the bike, all Z2 so it wasn't tough.  Not sure I'd be that into it today with the sinus headache I have.

@Gretchen:  that's a funny anecdote about treadmills - sometimes it feels that way doesn't it?  I'm also beginning to think running in Cairo isn't a good idea.  LOL

Hope everyone has a good week - I'm going to give my planned workouts a go unless this moves into my chest and I can get rid of the headache.

2023-01-23 5:22 PM

, Massachusetts
Oh my god, Gretchen - I knew it! No one in their right mind would invent a treadmill for anything other than torture!

I had a hard Friday with the snow coming down (the wet, heavy stuff, not the fluffy fun kind) and then skied Saturday so I took Sunday off and watched football and went to bed early! I did 1K in the pool today followed by 15.4mi of Zwifting. Tuesday is my normal day off so I’ll respect that and then do a pool/weights/run combo of some sort on Wednesday before another storm rolls in late afternoon/early evening. For not getting any snow until last week, Mother Nature sure is in a rush to average things out!

Thanks for the tips and encouragement all - it’s much appreciated.

Jay
2023-01-23 7:03 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Re:  Treadmill (and Z2 bike rides for that matter).  I typically watch warm-weather bike racing.  Right now I'm catching up on the the Tour Down Under, and once I'm done that the TdF from last year.  My wife said there is nothing more boring than watching cycling race on TV, until she actually watched one live this year in Baltimore LOL.

@Jay:  good luck with the snow - we have ZERO so far this year and another bleh winter of cold rain. 

2023-01-24 1:18 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Snow? What's that? I can say, of all the things I miss at home, snow and cold weather are NOT among them. Currently suffering through a couple of weeks of "cool" temps (daily highs mid-70F/mid 25C) with clouds. It does bring on the smoggy season, which I really felt after Saturday's long run outside.

Z2 rides--I watch really trite soapy TV (but NOT reality shows!) or trite, soapy movies. Anyone sense a theme? I'll also read books on my phone if it is really just a Z2 slog. Treadmill runs...so far, I've basically just watched the life cycle scenery and thought about how unrealistic it is that when running on a path, people would recognize you are behind them and move out of the way. Whomever programmed that hasn't been out on trails where I live recently! I also listen to audiobooks when I run, or podcasts, but I'm getting away from those lately, as one of my goals for 2023 is to read more, and I count audiobooks as reading. Podcasts are fine, but when it gets right down to it, most of them are just listening to 2-3 people blather on about something they're interested in--there is no quality control on the information within, so I feel like sometimes they are a waste of time if you are really trying to learn about something.

Today I pulled out an oldie, but a goodie...the run/swim workout necessitated by the pool being far away from where I'm currently sleeping. I did an hour Z3 interval run up to (and around to make the time right) the hotel where I'll be doing my workouts/swims from now on (I'm moving this week, but it got delayed, so there is a gap between old gym coverage and moving to new apartment). After a bit of a delay due to come confusion about when the pool actually opened, I got in 1800 of some unit...I can't quite decide if the pool is 25m and I had a great swim this morning, or if it is 25 yds and I had a mediocre swim this morning. I asked at the desk and the clerk didn't know. I will be inquiring again until I get an answer, because it makes a difference in how I structure my workouts.

2023-01-24 2:58 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
When I don't follow a Zwift training session, I like to watch hockey while spinning. Sprint when they play, rest when the game stops.

2023-01-24 9:03 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Gretchen:  run to the pool, then swim, then what?  I used to do the run/swim/run thing but I didn't need to change as I used tri shorts, and it was only like a mile from my house.

@Nicole:  hope Jamaica is fun!

Fought off the cold bug with some cold medicine (on top of my witch doctor home remedies) and got in Z2 bike and run workout this morning.  Felt fine once I got going, so hopefully this is just one of those nose things that doesn't move down into my chest.

I already miss the warm Florida weather.  LOL

2023-01-24 10:15 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Gretchen:  run to the pool, then swim, then what?  I used to do the run/swim/run thing but I didn't need to change as I used tri shorts, and it was only like a mile from my house.

A special case for today...run to the pool, swim, take a taxi back to my old apartment. It cost me less than $1.

My new apartment is literally across the street from the Hilton with the gym/pool. And...it has a Nile view from one of the THREE balconies. If Egypt had a decent triathlon scene, I might never come home.

Glad to hear you avoided the funk.
2023-01-24 8:36 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
I'm glad you dodged the return of the cough Mike, unfortunately I did not.

The run streak ended at 23 consecutive days. And I'm now onto day 3 of rest. It's not as bad as the December experience, I expect to be back into things in a day or 2, but still sucky.

This round of sickness is also the last straw for Marchs 70.3. I know I could drag myself across the line, but there's no chance of putting in the sort of performance I wanted when I entered. So I've applied to the transfer program to switch to a 70.3 in December. (so unless I've misread the instructions and I don't qualify for a transfer, that's it for triathlons this summer)

Of course training isn't finished. I have 287 days until Taupo 70.3 in December. Lots to be done. I've also got 3 remaining races of the half marathon summer series. So I think my immediate future will be trying to run a decent time (decent by my slow standards that is) at the series final in April.
2023-01-25 12:58 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Sorry to hear that Andrew, that sucks. I remember when my son was small, he wa bringing home a new bug every month, it felt like that anayway. Shame about the 70.3 in March but if your goal is higher than finishing it, wise decision to transfer to next Summer.

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 869 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland