Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 99

2024-04-21 3:48 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by Rollergirl

A good run intervals on Wednesday, followed by a good spin session yesterday . I guess I was still a little sick last week, hence the half arsed workouts.

Today I will take my electric bike to the shop at lunch time and run back (4 x 1k intervals at 5:15 min/k is the plan).

Tomorrow: 9 holes of golf, immediately followed by 15k run

Sunday: floorball in the morning (mobility training) and long ride (hopefully outside, weather permitting) in the afternoon.

I'm back baby!

YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2024-04-21 4:52 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Mike, sorry to hear about the back. How's it feeling?

I continued to take it pretty easy through the last week ahead of my ortho appt on Thursday. Mostly tried to get out on a walk most days to at least move my body, and have also been using my standing desk more (mostly because it hurts to sit, lol) but it's something I definitely plan to do more of from now on.

So then my ortho appt came. I told them about all my hip issues, as there are really 3, though the bursitis one seemed to be the one most impacting my life. They gave me an oral steroid and that seems to have it feeling better a few days in.

Then I told them of my other two issues. Pain in my joint, that I've really had off and on since high school, and then the pain I've been having in my groin the last few weeks...
Apparently I may have torn my labrum Going to get an MRI on the 29th, so I guess I'll know more after that.
I let my friend know I won't be able to run in the race next weekend. I'm super bummed. The doc said he's not worried about me making things worse, but the fact that running 3 miles leads to not being able to walk the rest of the day...probably wouldn't make it past my first leg.
Now that the bursitis is feeling better, I might try stretching a bit again, though need to see what makes sense with a torn labrum (I'm running on the assumption it is torn for now...safer that way).

So for now, I'm going to focus on getting walks in, doing core and upper body stuff, and hoping for the best but preparing for the worst...
2024-04-21 8:49 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by bulfrog
Originally posted by drfoodlove OMG!!! My competition kit for worlds arrived today!!!!!!! NB: I have no idea why it posts a link and not the photo.
Link works though. Must be a very proud moment to put on national colours. Looking good. And fast

+1 Wear those colors, Gretchen!!

(spelled correctly, Andrew note: yes I realize that we 'Mericans tend to butcher what's left of the French words in our version of Inglish LOL)

I think it came from John Cleese, but you guys speak 'simplified english' in 'Merica
2024-04-21 8:53 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by drfoodlove
Originally posted by Rollergirl
Originally posted by drfoodlove OMG!!! My competition kit for worlds arrived today!!!!!!! NB: I have no idea why it posts a link and not the photo.
It usually posts the photo if I write from a computer or a link from mobile device. Anyway, great photo! You look great I was hoping to wear Sweden's colours (spelled correctly ) a few years ago when the European championships were taking place 2 hours away from me. All I had to do to qualify in my AG was to finish a race a few weeks before (they took 25 people in each AG and there was 19 spots left and 6 signed up for that race) Unfortunately, the year was 2020.....
and yet ANOTHER reason 2020 sucked balls.

Agreed.

Yup. 1 of many, many reasons we don't want to go there again
2024-04-21 9:02 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Training question. For those of you who do long trainer rides: do you stop and get off the bike every once in a while? I do—refill water, bathroom, grabbing starbursts to bribe myself to keep going…you know, only for good reasons. I try to keep them to a minimum, but needs must sometimes!

I've rarely done indoor rides longer than 2 hours. For my long rides last Ironman I'd do 2ish hours on the trainer at 4am, then outside for 2-4 hours starting at 6 (sunrise).

However, I don't see an issue with having some short breaks during your ride. In an Ironman you'd likely have a toilet stop or 2, and/or a stop at special needs. Also, I'm not sure how you guys handle a long ride, but if I'm doing over 3 hours, there would likely be a gas station stop for some cold drink part way through. And I'd say a break during a trainer ride is even more justified than outdoors. No stop signs/downhills on the trainer etc.

Also, FWIW, I know you don't do zwift, but they have a feature now 'coffee break' where you can take a 3 minute break (no more than 1 per half hour) without losing your place in the group/workout. I know you're not going to jump on zwift, but enough people want to have a minute off the bike they made a feature for it.
2024-04-21 9:55 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@ Fit Nat. She's back! Looks like you've broken out of that funk and back into the swing of things. Great job. Did you get everything done you'd planned? Our warriors played their worst game in like 2 years over the weekend, and we dropped out of a finals spot. It's a long season, hopefully it was just a wake up call.

@Mike, How's the back going?

@Nicole. Damn, that doesn't sound like a fun injury list. Sorry to hear that you've had to pull out of your relay. Even though we all know it's the right call, withdrawing from something still sucks. I have no doubt you'll be back, smashing the toughest legs for the 2025 race though. Hoping for good news from your scan.

@Gretchcen. Smashing it as always. How did your weekend HIM equivalent go?

@Me, Big weekend, long run and short zwift ride Saturday. No workout Sunday, but we did hire a digger, and made a big hole in the front yard. If you want to make a 6 year old boys eyes pop out of his head, take him to the digger hire yard I don't think I've mentioned it yet, but my pain cave is being evicted again, and we are going to get a portable cabin installed to be our office/gym/pain cave. This weekend was leveling the site (hence the digger) next step building a retaining wall around it.

Other than that a solid, but not perfect week. Still suffering a little from the post race hangover.
Swim: 0
Bike, x3, 2 hours all zwift
Run, x5, 4hr 33, 36km
S&M, x1, 10 min.

First big week of this HM build coming up. Onwards.

2024-04-22 5:02 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

@ Fit Nat. She's back! Looks like you've broken out of that funk and back into the swing of things. Great job. Did you get everything done you'd planned? Our warriors played their worst game in like 2 years over the weekend, and we dropped out of a finals spot. It's a long season, hopefully it was just a wake up call.

Almost, the 15k run became a 10k run because my running partner stopped after 10k as she was not feeling well and I did not continue without because 1) it's boring 2) my middle toe was banging on the shoe and hurting.

On the plus side, the 9 holes of golf turned into 11 holes of golf and the 40k ride a 48k ride (although very slow)

Yes, it was just a wake up call. 2024 is our year!
2024-04-22 5:25 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Mike, how's the back?
Nicole, sorry to hear you had to cancel your race, that sucks! hopefully you'll be back soon

2024-04-22 6:50 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, all.

@Nicole:  ugh the injury bug is hitting you hard, huh?  I hope its not torn.  Can you still swim without pain?  I think you made a very good call on bailing on the race.

@Nathalie:  great weekend!  (especially the extra 2 holes - I'm going to get back into golfing one of these years but I'm allowed one expensive sport hobby at a time )

@Gretchen:  my longest trainer ride was like 2:30, and I definitely think short breaks are fine as you'd likely do that outdoors and as Andrew said you generally don't coast on the trainer

@Andrew:  additions to the house, now THAT's dedication to the sport!!; hope it works out as planned

I had a good weekend of training, Friday was a decent 40 bike ride plus like 35 minutes of lower body and core work to fix my back, Saturday was swim/strength, then came home and did a short bike race on Zwift.  Easy 4-mile run yesterday in the chilly weather (like 48 degrees).  Back is improving but seized up pretty good yesterday afternoon, which I helped by sitting in the spa for an hour.  Still sore today but definitely on the mend.  I'm going to progress through my normal workout plan this week and play the 5K race on Saturday by ear.

Have a great week everyone.

2024-04-22 11:48 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@Andrew--I told my wife you are adding on to your house for a pain cave and she is NOT impressed. She thinks I'll be getting myself some ideas. :D She is not wrong.

Everyone else--jeez! It is like an injury/illness convention in here! I mean...you know it is bad when Andrew is the only one healthy! He's got little kids! :D Seriously--everyone heal up quickly.

This weekend seems like it is the race weekend that shouldn't be around here. Nicole is gonna miss the Seneca 7. I'm missing my marathon. Mike might miss his 5K (although we certainly hope not!).

I'm enjoying the first days of rest week here. Yesterday I slept until nearly 8 am, only getting out of bed finally when the dog was ruthless in trying to get me up. Then, I just puttered about the house doing tiny chores throughout the day, interspersed with a fair amount of just sitting on the couch relaxing. This morning was a 2250 yds swim and the rest of the day is NOTHING. I'm not sure what to do with myself. There are only two double session days this week. I have to be careful, or I might end up building on to my house to add a pain cave too!
2024-04-22 7:54 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Re: Pain cave extension. We're not actually building onto the house. We're installing a portable cabin in the back yard. Not sure if it's common in your part of the world but quite common here. The building arrives on the back of a truck, pre built and is craned into place. Much cheaper, and no consenting issues.

We did look at an extension to the main house. Although that would have been a new master bedroom/ensuite etc. and a current bedroom would have become the office/pain cave after a reshuffle. But that is genuinely in the range of 10 x the cost of what the cabin project is going to cost. (NZ is expensive)

It's also not just for housing bikes (although thank you for thinking I could pull that off haha) Mr's Bullfrog works from home so one end of the cabin is going to be her office.

I do highly encourage Gretchen pushing to build her own extension though. If you move the pain cave setup to a new space, there is more room in the house for your wifes yarn. Really you're only being generous to her.

Training, Started the week with 50 minutes on the treadmill, the plan is to repeat the dose tonight.

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 99

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 864 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland