Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2024-04-15 9:56 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by bulfrog

Originally posted by nicole14e

Andrew, glad to hear you met your target and absolutely annihilated your last HM! You pushed through some tough stuff and it's great that you have plans for continued improvement! And great pic!
Also, how are you liking Tailwind?!

To be honest I've not been using a huge amount of tailwind recently. After my 70.3 in December I decided I didn't enjoy carrying so much fluid for the run. Nothing against the product, just logistically didn't want to carry it. So going forward I'm using tailwind (1 super concentrated bottle) on the bike, and gels on the run. Easier to carry, and/or live off the course. So for this just gone half marathon it was 4 x Maurten 100 gels.

A bottle of tailwind pre run is a nice easy way to get some carbs/hydration into you though.

Definitely! I mostly used it for pre-race, though also had some on the bike for my tris, but they are very short so don't need nearly as much nutrition.

2024-04-15 9:58 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Originally posted by drfoodlove
It turns out, if you offer to do little repairs around the house, you can dip in and out of family time AND you look like an absolute hero. Changed lightbulbs, turned fans to summer mode, fixed their downspouts, picked up a few sticks in their yard, trimmed a tree, all tiny little stuff, but stuff that kept me out of the tiny living room with 12 people.

That’s simply brilliant!

I love every bit of this! You probably felt good about it too, b/c even if it wasn't for you, it feels good to DO something. Well done!
2024-04-15 10:09 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Andrew great job on your fitness test!

Mike, our BDAS battle might need to wait until next year sounds like you are continuing to crush your training though!

I've not done much this past week. I was hoping some rest would help, but I'm still having a good amount of pain and discomfort. I tried playing football Saturday, but we were up by a good amount so I didn't want to push it too much. Anxious for my ortho appt on Thursday to know what the plan is. Then I'll know whether I should try for the Seneca 7 at the end of the month or not, though currently leaning towards probably not since I'm not training at all and was already behind...

I also found out today that I should be done with my invisalign by July 1! I was really hoping to be done before I turned 40, so on this timetable I should be!
2024-04-15 10:23 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Rest and Recovery week done and dusted. I feel like such a sloth, less than 3 hours total. I did manage some quality on Sunday though.

I headed in to my usual spot and ran a 5km individual time trial as a fitness test. Long story short, I ran 29:13 for the 5k, this is an improvement of 1:58 from my last fitness test in January, and my first 5k under 30 minutes in over 10 years. And of course I get to reset my pace zones which are all getting around 25 sec/km faster.

Hope everyone else had a good weekend.

That's a great result, especially doing this on your own! almost 2 minutes better in 4 months, WOW!

And also 1st under 30 minutes in over 10 years, WOW again! What's your personal record on that distance? I bet that's gonna fall soon (unless it was set in your twenties and was under 20 minutes)

2024-04-15 10:24 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Tough week in the books for me as the build starts:

2 swims, 3600 yards
4 rides, about 50 miles
4 runs, 15 miles, including two quality runs
lots of strength and yoga/PT stuff

Repeating last week's schedule with just a tad more volume.  I have one more week of Phase 3 in running then I'll drop my long run and do some 5K races to get me in racing form.  Seven weeks to go. 

still hammering it I see, solid week once again
2024-04-15 10:26 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

Andrew great job on your fitness test!

Mike, our BDAS battle might need to wait until next year sounds like you are continuing to crush your training though!

I've not done much this past week. I was hoping some rest would help, but I'm still having a good amount of pain and discomfort. I tried playing football Saturday, but we were up by a good amount so I didn't want to push it too much. Anxious for my ortho appt on Thursday to know what the plan is. Then I'll know whether I should try for the Seneca 7 at the end of the month or not, though currently leaning towards probably not since I'm not training at all and was already behind...

I also found out today that I should be done with my invisalign by July 1! I was really hoping to be done before I turned 40, so on this timetable I should be!

sorry to hear it's not better. Hope Thursday will bring good news (or not too bad news)

2024-04-15 10:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
So another half arsed week for me, I did do something most days but with no enthusiasm or energy.

No long run as my running mate was unavailable this week. I started out on my own but ended up walking most of time (8k)

Run intervals went well but the spin class didn't. Took my bike to the shop for a service and was supposed to run back to work (4k) but ended up walking most of it

What else, a 70 minutes Zwift workout called high intensity recovery, which I kind of did correctly

Hockey season is already over (lost 4 games to 0 in the semis) but Golf season has started (9 holes on Saturday)

Floorball on Sunday

This week has started a little better as I did manage to run the 4k to the bike shop to pick up my buddy.

2 weeks to my first starting line of the season a half marathon on May 1st. Totally not ready

Have a good week BT!

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-04-15 11:46 AM
2024-04-15 1:32 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl  Hockey season is already over (lost 4 games to 0 in the semis) but Golf season has started (9 holes on Saturday

Meanwhile my hockey team has squandered a playoff berth over the past three weeks.  And while I didn't play golf, I did watch a ton of it over the weekend (The Masters).  Your countryman (Ludvig Abert - sorry about the lack of an accent on the A ) did quite well. 

2024-04-15 3:01 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Originally posted by Rollergirl  Hockey season is already over (lost 4 games to 0 in the semis) but Golf season has started (9 holes on Saturday

Meanwhile my hockey team has squandered a playoff berth over the past three weeks.  And while I didn't play golf, I did watch a ton of it over the weekend (The Masters).  Your countryman (Ludvig Abert - sorry about the lack of an accent on the A ) did quite well. 

Sorry to hear that, maybe next year!

Yes, that young Swede’s rocket rise to the top is quite impressive, turned pro in June 23, got picked for the Ryder cup same year and 2nd at the Masters the following year!
2024-04-15 3:47 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Rollergirl

That's a great result, especially doing this on your own! almost 2 minutes better in 4 months, WOW!

And also 1st under 30 minutes in over 10 years, WOW again! What's your personal record on that distance? I bet that's gonna fall soon (unless it was set in your twenties and was under 20 minutes)

My 'official' 5k PB is from my 20's, 24:54, so still quite a way off. And, that was set in a sprint Tri, so stand alone 5k would have been a little faster in theory. But I think that course was likely a little short. So who knows what it actually is. Definitely in the 25 minute ballpark. I'll get back there, probably not this year though.
2024-04-15 7:27 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl That's a great result, especially doing this on your own! almost 2 minutes better in 4 months, WOW! And also 1st under 30 minutes in over 10 years, WOW again! What's your personal record on that distance? I bet that's gonna fall soon (unless it was set in your twenties and was under 20 minutes)
My 'official' 5k PB is from my 20's, 24:54, so still quite a way off. And, that was set in a sprint Tri, so stand alone 5k would have been a little faster in theory. But I think that course was likely a little short. So who knows what it actually is. Definitely in the 25 minute ballpark. I'll get back there, probably not this year though.

I think you're definitely going to be in the ballpark with another year of running like you are.

2024-04-15 8:48 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Originally posted by Rollergirl That's a great result, especially doing this on your own! almost 2 minutes better in 4 months, WOW! And also 1st under 30 minutes in over 10 years, WOW again! What's your personal record on that distance? I bet that's gonna fall soon (unless it was set in your twenties and was under 20 minutes)

I think you're definitely going to be in the ballpark with another year of running like you are.

Thanks Mike. Hopefully you're right.

I've been pleasantly surprised how much I have been enjoying this run focus so far this year. So injury dependant (knock on wood) No plans to scale back. May the gains continue.
2024-04-15 9:13 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Mike, nice work on 4 runs for the week. Think this must be the first week you've run more than me this year

@Nat, Doing something most days is not 'half arsed' that's in like the top 10% of the general population. Hopefully you're happier with next weeks efforts, but don't sell yourself short.

Sorry Hockey is over... Next year's our year!

@Nicole, If you're in pain, to the extent you're not training now, and your race is at the end of the month, that is not a promising timeline. Hoping that the extra rest you're having has done the trick, but be careful. Last thing you need is turning a minor thing into a major one. Disappointing that the BDAS show down is looking less likely, but better to get yourself sorted.

@Me, Started the week with a 50 minute easy run Monday morning, and a short, 30 minute zwift with some sweet spot efforts followed by a stretching session in the evening. This morning was a 50ish minute progression run. Back into normal training mode.

Have a good week BDASers
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 852 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland