Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 93

2024-03-26 6:24 AM
in reply to: #5288256

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Thankful today it is a rest week. My water heater blew up overnight and now we have a lot of cleaning to do (not to mention replacing the water heater!). Ugh…life.

2024-03-26 6:28 AM
in reply to: #5288258

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Oh…and I should mention it is also our wedding anniversary (which we don’t really celebrate, since we were together 12 years before it was legal for us to marry, so we celebrate the day we committed to each other in November). Who says romance is dead?
2024-03-26 8:12 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Oh…and I should mention it is also our wedding anniversary (which we don’t really celebrate, since we were together 12 years before it was legal for us to marry, so we celebrate the day we committed to each other in November). Who says romance is dead?

Happy non wedding anniversary. I think you should celebrate it too, two celebrations is better than one.

We don't celebrate anything because 1) we're happily not married 2) none of us can remember what day we met or got together, all we know is that both days were in September 2 (or 3) years apart. (all I know I should say, he probably doesn't have a clue). Then there is the day I moved to Sweden and together with him, also in September a year later but I don't know what day

2024-03-26 11:25 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Ok, I didn't do ANY of my planned workouts this weekend.

I did clean out all storage spaces in my living room, both bedrooms and my hallway closet though. I've purged a lot of stuff. I still have a ways to go with it but have the next couple days to do some final touches and get my house where I want it to be. My body was SO SORE.

I also played 2 hours of pickleball with some girlfriends yesterday, which was a blast and a good break from cleaning (though definitely did not help my body soreness).

Tonight I have to decide between swimming or cleaning/decluttering more, which might be the direction I take because my house is MESSY. But if I can get it to a good place after tonight I think it will help me focus. I'd like to run each day Tues-Thur. Then my special friend (cruise guy) is coming to visit that night, and we have at least one run planned. He wants to see the Hopkins Hospital (where I work) and University campus, so I figured we could run to the hospital campus and explore it on Friday, then later drive to the University campus.

I know I have excuse after excuse, but I really do think this project is going to help ...

So I wrote this yesterday but never submitted. Everything before this point was Monday Nicole. Everything after is Tuesday Nicole:

I chose staying home and cleaning over swimming. Part of that reason was b/c my special friend texted me around 4 to say that he told his wife (that he's separated from) about me. This was unexpected (she apparently went through his phone at some point) and we ended up having a very long, very real conversation. We've only been special friends for a month lol, and he'd indicated he was nervous b/c he didn't know how she would react and he's in a vulnerable situation figuring out custody and all of that, and we're obviously still trying to figure out what is happening with us.
I learned a lot. We basically asked any question we had and the other answered honestly, and it was probably the most real, most honest, most mature conversation I've ever had with a person I'm dating, and I'm kind of glad it all happened.
2024-03-26 11:27 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
This morning I had a really amazing, confidence-boosting run. Had a great soundtrack from a Peloton outdoor run. I wasn't even following what she was saying, I just let the music guide me and ran sub-9 minute pace for 3.4 miles. Definitely still planning on running a lot over the next few weeks, but am way less nervous now than I was yesterday!

Oh and my house is really coming together. Just a little more de-cluttering and I'm going to be good to go!
2024-03-26 11:28 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
This morning I had a really amazing, confidence-boosting run. Had a great soundtrack from a Peloton outdoor run. I wasn't even following what she was saying, I just let the music guide me and ran sub-9 minute pace for 3.4 miles. Definitely still planning on running a lot over the next few weeks, but am way less nervous now than I was yesterday!

Oh and my house is really coming together. Just a little more de-cluttering and I'm going to be good to go!

2024-03-26 12:42 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by Rollergirl

Originally posted by nicole14e

Is it ok to call your boss’s wife a b*tch? Asking for a friend.

Behind her back, DEFINITELY! lol
Care to provide some more info?

I'm with Nicole--we need more details, but in general, I think if the boss' wife is being a b!tch, you should call her one (to her face, not behind her back). But, then I'm old, tired, do not give one if other people like me, and literally can't be fired for such behavior, so take my advice with a grain of salt. :D :D :D

Actually, I asked my boss and it's Ok with him . It's nothing serious at all, she is not a b*tch at all, just a little of floorball trash talk. she came and played with us on Sunday (partners and grown up kids are welcome, the more the merrier).

She scored a cheeky goal against me (a wraparound I think i's called in hockey. in Swedish it's called "going through the kitchen door") and I may have called her a B word in the heat of the moment

Oh...in the heat of the game after she scored on you?!?! Absolutely!! I mean...as long as she isn't a total stick in the mud.

Oh yeah this is a TOTALLY different story! lol
2024-03-26 12:48 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Mike and Nicole—check in! Mike I know you’re in FL, but let us know your daughter is safe.

Andrew and Nathalie—after being hit by a ship a bridge collapsed with several cars on it in Baltimore, where Mike and Nicole live (or close to).

oh no!

Yes please Mike and Nicole, let us know you / families are safe

Thank you for thinking of us! Yeah, this is super tragic and scary. Luckily the collapse happened in the middle of the night. During rush hour it would have been much, much worse. It sounds like only 6 are believed to be missing (and 2 were already rescued and are okay). The cargo ship was apparently having electrical issues and didn't have a tow boat and somehow lost control and hit the bridge. They were able to get the word out and authorities were able to stop traffic and clear the bridge right before the impact. It's a dark day here, everyone is kind of down I think. I woke up to alerts from Hopkins saying the bridge was closed indefinitely, which led me to look at the news first thing and see. Rough way to wake up.

Thanks again for checking in <3
2024-03-26 7:44 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Mike and Nicole—check in! Mike I know you’re in FL, but let us know your daughter is safe. Andrew and Nathalie—after being hit by a ship a bridge collapsed with several cars on it in Baltimore, where Mike and Nicole live (or close to).

All safe and sound.  OMG that could have been so much worse.

2024-03-26 7:47 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e
Originally posted by drfoodlove Mike and Nicole—check in! Mike I know you’re in FL, but let us know your daughter is safe. Andrew and Nathalie—after being hit by a ship a bridge collapsed with several cars on it in Baltimore, where Mike and Nicole live (or close to).
oh no! Yes please Mike and Nicole, let us know you / families are safe
Thank you for thinking of us! Yeah, this is super tragic and scary. Luckily the collapse happened in the middle of the night. During rush hour it would have been much, much worse. It sounds like only 6 are believed to be missing (and 2 were already rescued and are okay). The cargo ship was apparently having electrical issues and didn't have a tow boat and somehow lost control and hit the bridge. They were able to get the word out and authorities were able to stop traffic and clear the bridge right before the impact. It's a dark day here, everyone is kind of down I think. I woke up to alerts from Hopkins saying the bridge was closed indefinitely, which led me to look at the news first thing and see. Rough way to wake up. Thanks again for checking in <3

Yeah, as if Baltimore didn't have enough going against it.  The video of it coming down is unbelievable.  I don't routinely drive over it but do from time to time. 

Echoing Nicole's thanks for your thoughts.  <3

2024-03-27 1:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Nicole, nice to see your decluttering is coming along nicely, if that’s what you need to be able to focus on other things, good choice doing that instead of swimming. Plus, it does count as a S/M workout. Nice work on the run!

Exciting things happening on the personal front. The fact that he told his (future ex) wife means he’s serious. A little scary after just one month of special friendship but just go with the flow and see what happens.

Easy start of the week for me, rest day on Monday and 45 minutes of lunch time S/M outdoors yesterday.

Tonight, run intervals with the club (hills on the menu), tomorrow spin class and then it’s the long Easter weekend, hoping for nice (ish) weather so I can go on a couple of long rides.

Glad you were not involved in that bridge accident Mike and `Nicole

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-03-27 8:59 AM

2024-03-27 7:58 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Glad to hear everyone is okay in Baltimore!

Bit of a crazy day around here yesterday. Hot water heater blew up, so there was a scramble to find a plumber to replace it...after my wife talked me out of doing it myself. We agreed that tis is one of those times you pay someone else to do something you can do because you are busy, and tired, and just plain don't want to do it. She has a way with words sometimes. It was surprisingly easy to find someone to come out and do it yesterday. They were here by 9 and gone by 11, and we have a brand new hot water heater that is larger than our old one and much more energy efficient. We toyed with the idea of a tankless, but no where in town had one in stock, so it would have been a few days and I am NOT willing to suffer the wrath of my wife when denied her HOT shower for a few days. Nope, no sir, not a chance. So, we put that on the "future house plan".

We "celebrated" our anniversary by going out for ice cream, which is what we did after our ceremony...right before I went back to work! When people ask us about our "wedding" no one believes I worked from home all morning and then we got hitched at 1pm in the courthouse. It took three minutes total. My wife sat next to the prisoners waiting for their hearings. We went to Dairy Queen afterwards for Blizzards. It took DQ 12' to make our Blizzzards. I had to be at work by 3pm for a (3 hour long) dissertation defense. We tried to go out for dinner to celebrate, but it was a Monday and every "nice" place in town is closed on Mondays. We ended up trying three different restaurants before we called it quits and went home and had leftovers. Poor planning on our part! Oh Well!

Yesterday was a 60' Z2 spin. This morning was 2250yds at the pool and then later this afternoon I'm going to do a run threshold test. The last one I did was last May and I've been feeling like my zones are a little off. Of course, between last Jan and last May my zones didn't change at all, despite significant improvement in my run, so maybe they aren't and I'm just getting fitter. Who knows at this point!
2024-03-27 3:28 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Run threshold test done. I didn’t die or barf, so that’s a plus. My threshold pace decreased by about 45”/mile, but my max hr did not change at all. 173 last year (twice), 173 this year. That’s so darn close to the 220-age formula (would be 175) I’m not sure I care to do this kind of testing anymore! I suppose though I should be happy with these results. 0:45/mile faster at same hr sounds pretty good.
2024-03-27 4:26 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Nicole, nice to see your decluttering is coming along nicely, if that’s what you need to be able to focus on other things, good choice doing that instead of swimming. Plus, it does count as a S/M workout. Nice work on the run!

Exciting things happening on the personal front. The fact that he told his (future ex) wife means he’s serious. A little scary after just one month of special friendship but just go with the flow and see what happens.

Easy start of the week for me, rest day on Monday and 45 minutes of lunch time S/M outdoors yesterday.

Tonight, run intervals with the club (hills on the menu), tomorrow spin class and then it’s the long Easter weekend, hoping for nice (ish) weather so I can go on a couple of long rides.

Glad you were not involved in that bridge accident Mike and `Nicole

I've already felt a huge difference in my personal/exercise/sleep focus with the de-cluttering. Work - not so much yet. I've been feeling a little down, like I'm not getting enough wins at work and everything feels hard and unrewarding. I think I just need a good email clean-up day and I'll maybe feel better but we'll see.

Agree it's very fast for all of this to be happening. He definitely wasn't planning on telling her yet, but she kind of forced the topic, and I think we are at an age where we know what we want (and what we don't). It's been all green flags so far, even with the tense situation he's in, so I'm definitely enjoying the ride

Happy Easter! Hope you get some nice weather too!
2024-03-27 8:03 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Glad to see that Mike and Nicole were not involved in the bridge incident. When I heard the story on the radio say Baltimore you 2 were the first though. So, as you said Nicole, lucky it was midnight, not rush hour. I'm not sure how it's going to effect you, but hopefully the missing bridge doesn't mess with your life too much over the next few years, or however long it'll take to replace.

@Nat, Enjoy your long rides over the extra long weekend

@Nicole, Yup, I think we all agree that having 'the talk' with your special friend after a month is faster than normal. But fast doesn't mean bad. Like you said, you're grownups, you know what you want, so if its making you both happy, then its not fast at all. Wishing you the best. Will you be roping him into any of your trail ruin adventures?

@Gretchen, Well happy Anniversary. Thats unfortunate your water heater failed, hopefully it didn't make too much of a mess. And good choice on getting a professional in on that one. Not sure what the rules are over there, but here for that sort of work you'd need sign off from a qualified/registered plumber and electrician. Of course nothing stopping you doing it yourself, but opens up issues when you sell or need to make an insurance claim in the future. How are you enjoying the 'rest' week?

Me, 3 runs so far. Added 45 minutes Z2 treadmill running Wednesday night to what was reported earlier. Nothing special, just trying to make green boxes in training peaks.

Have a good Easter everyone.
2024-03-27 8:08 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Run threshold test done. I didn’t die or barf, so that’s a plus. My threshold pace decreased by about 45”/mile, but my max hr did not change at all. 173 last year (twice), 173 this year. That’s so darn close to the 220-age formula (would be 175) I’m not sure I care to do this kind of testing anymore! I suppose though I should be happy with these results. 0:45/mile faster at same hr sounds pretty good.

Good job on the threshold test, that hurts just thinking about it.

Now, from my understanding of these things, once your reasonably well trained your HR zones shouldn't change that much. You just go faster/produce more power for the same heart rate as what you did before. So 45"/mile improvement and the same HR sounds bang on. Great job pushing yourself hard enough to get some good numbers.

Do you use pace or HR for your run training? If it's pace, an increase that big must make some of your upcoming workouts look quite intimidating.

2024-03-28 4:27 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

Good job on the threshold test, that hurts just thinking about it.

Now, from my understanding of these things, once your reasonably well trained your HR zones shouldn't change that much. You just go faster/produce more power for the same heart rate as what you did before. So 45"/mile improvement and the same HR sounds bang on. Great job pushing yourself hard enough to get some good numbers.

Do you use pace or HR for your run training? If it's pace, an increase that big must make some of your upcoming workouts look quite intimidating.

what's threshold again?
2024-03-28 4:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Good work on the runs Andrew, ticking along nicely

Fun hill repeats training last night. We did 3 x 7 minutes of up and down the hill but the fun part was on the 2nd 7 minutes interval.
The focus was downhill then, so rest on the way up (walk if you have to) and let go on the way down. Scary but so much fun, top speed was under 3:30 min/k (5:38/ mile).

Woke up with a scratchy throat so will replace my high intensity spin class with a short easy ride at lunch time and hope it doesn't get worse.

Oh and we (The Lakers) are in the semi finals of the SHL after winning the quarter 4 games to 0. First game Friday 5th, and second on Sunday of course I have already bought my ticket

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-03-28 5:17 AM
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 93

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 845 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland