General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Velomane brand Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2023-01-01 9:08 AM

Subject: Velomane brand
Hi everyone!

I'm new here and I'm looking for information on a brand called Velomane. I cannot find much information online as I think it's a local brand.

The bike I am looking at is a second-hand one, made of carbon. It already has a Vision triathlon handlebar. The brakes are rim brakes, although my budget does not allow for disk brakes. The seller wants $800 for it. Then I have to consider a tuning on it so I think I'd get away with about $1100.

I'm debating getting this one or going for a new Trek Domane AL2 2023 (carbon fork, rim brakes) or Cannondale CAAD Optimo 4 2023 (carbon fork, rim brakes). The price difference is considerable ($400 and $600).

Would you recommend buying the velomane bike?
Would you recommend buying a used bike over a new bike?

I am a beginner with a restricted budget. I'm wondering how much all the little details matter at my level.

Thank you!

2023-01-01 10:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Velomane brand

It looks like that brand is the French version of bikesdirect from what I can tell.  First and foremost you'll need a bike that fits, so if it works for you then it'll probably be fine.  I personally am a little wary of used carbon bikes, but thousands are bought resale with no problem.

Carbon vs. aluminum doesn't matter that much.  I've ridden the Fuji version of the Trek you describe and now my carbon Ridley.  I noticed the difference but part of that was it fitting better and a better groupset and wheels.

If you can swing it financially (been there before with a limited budget) I'd get the Trek if it fits you.  You'll get a tuning and basic fitting usually free with the purchase plus the groupset will likely be MUCH better.  You can pick up used aerobars for about $80-100 on Ebay, but those aren't even necessary when you're starting out.  My first race was on a 2003 Gary Fisher hybrid with 20-inch wheels. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2023-01-01 10:05 AM
2023-01-01 8:06 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

Subject: RE: Velomane brand
Thank you so much for all the info! Very much appreciated
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Velomane brand Rss Feed