Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2023-03-20 6:22 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever!
Originally posted by melbo55

Not tri-related but sport-related: this weekend my ice hockey team had playoffs (needed to win Saturday to advance to finals Sunday) and we won the championship!  The best part of it all was it happened against a team that is very unsportsmanlike, chippy, whiny, and generally nasty and not fun to play.  Now I will switch my focus and try to get back to swimming, biking, running, and add in weight training.

Congratulations! I saw your pictures, it looked like fun.

2023-03-20 8:47 PM

User image

Not tri-related but sport-related: this weekend my ice hockey team had playoffs (needed to win Saturday to advance to finals Sunday) and we won the championship!  The best part of it all was it happened against a team that is very unsportsmanlike, chippy, whiny, and generally nasty and not fun to play.  Now I will switch my focus and try to get back to swimming, biking, running, and add in weight training.

Congrats!!
2023-03-21 6:58 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

CONGRATS!
2023-03-21 7:04 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jmkizer

Congratulations!!!

Right after I posted yesterday, I realize my mistake. I was hoping some other Manatee would say the Manatee thing..

WAY TO DOOO EEETTT!!!!

2023-03-21 7:36 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Well done, congrats!!

2023-03-21 8:57 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I received this message and I thought of Jim!

"individuals ages 18-65 suffering from gout may qualify for a paid clinical trial!"

2023-03-21 10:20 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

So very glad you won..and ESPECIALLY against that team!!!
2023-03-21 11:45 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

"individuals ages 18-65 suffering from gout may qualify for a paid clinical trial!"

clinical trials are great! Gout, I’m guessing not so much

2023-03-21 12:27 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

I love this! I played hockey growing up! Great sport! Congrats!
2023-03-21 1:23 PM

User image

Expert

Haha. I definitely fit within the qualifications. Turns out gout isn't just for 70 year old alcoholics.
2023-03-24 11:11 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Happy Friday everyone!  How's everyone doing? 

It definitely feels springy out there but it's never that simple here. 

Actually excited for the treadmill. We just got a 'sample' nordic track due to my husband's job and it is pretty sweet. Definitely looking forward to using it which is unusual for me ... 

2023-03-24 12:22 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

Actually excited for the treadmill. We just got a 'sample' nordic track due to my husband's job and it is pretty sweet. Definitely looking forward to using it which is unusual for me ... 

Congrats on the fancy treadmill! Having a few pieces of indoor equipment definitely makes it easier to schedule things. 

I was telling Leanne that I Zwift year round because I can get it done in the dark before work and I think the intervals are generally better on the trainer than outside (not waiting to get to the right place to start/stop the interval, etc.). 

2023-03-24 12:27 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Congrats on the fancy treadmill! Having a few pieces of indoor equipment definitely makes it easier to schedule things. 

I was telling Leanne that I Zwift year round because I can get it done in the dark before work and I think the intervals are generally better on the trainer than outside (not waiting to get to the right place to start/stop the interval, etc.). 

x 2 - Congrats!  I too like the convenience of having home equipment and like Janyne find it easier to get cycling workouts done; especially during the week. 

2023-03-24 9:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
If you can get a sample of I-Fit (it usually comes with new Nordic-Tracks and then you have the option to renew annually), it is pretty cool. Tons of workouts of all lengths, from casual 20 minute walks to 2+ hour marathon training, in (usually) scenic locations all over the world. (You "follow" a trainer who's running the actual course.). If you have an incline treadmill, then you can use a programmed workout that corresponds (I suppose) to the actual terrain. You can do the trainer's pre-programmed speed or set it yourself. The I-fit workouts are the ONLY thing that gets me through anything longer than 15 minutes on a treadmill!

Our weather continues to be hideous so my treadmill is getting lots of use. At least five or six rounds of snow and hail today and more on tap for the weekend. It's like January is about to launch its fourth repeat. I am physically and mentally sick of it, but was too tired to plan a trip anywhere for spring break. (One would have to fly out anyway--bad driving weather in all directions--and I hate flying during peak times. Plus arranging care for three cats during spring break in a college town is tough.) Have a bunch of work-related stuff to do over break but honestly just want to train, lie in bed, read, and drink hot beverages. And not necessarily in that order.

Edited by Hot Runner 2023-03-24 9:48 PM
2023-03-25 3:51 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Expert

It is not Springy here. It is literally doing every form of precipitation at the same time. I had to go out and it was snow, rain, sleet, and hail at the same time. I take that back, that is very Michigan Spring!

Congratulations on the treadmill. I replaced my sole treadmill and went back to Nordic Track this winter. This is the first time I've used the IFit programs and I kind of like them. The run programs have been really good.
I'm like Janyne and use the indoor bike trainer year round. I use the Wahoo platform for my bike. The bought The Sufferfest and so I just followed the program. It allows me to ride all winter, plus I can ride anytime in the Summer, without the fear of being run over.
I have not tried any of the Ifit bike workouts.
2023-03-27 6:30 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
ADVICE NEEDED please!

Ok...so if I am going to do an upgrade on my tri bike, which do you recommend me doing first?

1. Race wheels
2. Power meter

I never really thought that I would ever need these additional things on my bike b/c I am just not that "techy" or "competitive" but now that I am using Zwift I really like seeing power/watts and how I can incorporate that into training to be more efficient.

As for race wheels, well...people keep telling me I need them?

2023-03-27 7:36 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella

It is not Springy here. It is literally doing every form of precipitation at the same time. I had to go out and it was snow, rain, sleet, and hail at the same time. I take that back, that is very Michigan Spring! Congratulations on the treadmill. I replaced my sole treadmill and went back to Nordic Track this winter. This is the first time I've used the IFit programs and I kind of like them. The run programs have been really good. I'm like Janyne and use the indoor bike trainer year round. I use the Wahoo platform for my bike. The bought The Sufferfest and so I just followed the program. It allows me to ride all winter, plus I can ride anytime in the Summer, without the fear of being run over. I have not tried any of the Ifit bike workouts.

I'm sure that you'll be happy for a break from the weather when you go to Texas.

2023-03-27 7:39 AM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by canadarn2001 ADVICE NEEDED please! Ok...so if I am going to do an upgrade on my tri bike, which do you recommend me doing first? 1. Race wheels 2. Power meter I never really thought that I would ever need these additional things on my bike b/c I am just not that "techy" or "competitive" but now that I am using Zwift I really like seeing power/watts and how I can incorporate that into training to be more efficient. As for race wheels, well...people keep telling me I need them?

Ack! Both are great upgrades!

What kind of wheels do you have on your tri bike now?  Do you plan to use the upgrade wheels all the time or only for racing?

2023-03-27 8:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by canadarn2001 ADVICE NEEDED please! Ok...so if I am going to do an upgrade on my tri bike, which do you recommend me doing first? 1. Race wheels 2. Power meter I never really thought that I would ever need these additional things on my bike b/c I am just not that "techy" or "competitive" but now that I am using Zwift I really like seeing power/watts and how I can incorporate that into training to be more efficient. As for race wheels, well...people keep telling me I need them?

I think if you ask 100 people this question it would be equally split PM/RW.  IMHO, power meters will help you become a better cyclist (assuming you use it properly and not just look at the numbers like I tend to use mine), so you won't see immediate benefit. Race wheels will give you an immediate boost in speed, but for most AGers they say it is seconds of faster over an Olympic distance, so maybe a minute or so over 140.7.  Those savings could mean a lot to you if you are competitive - which you obviously are. So i suppose the question is whether you are looking for a longer term improvement to make you faster or an immediate one. One thing you might think about is buying the PM and renting race wheels. Or maybe buying a disc instead.

I am lucky b/c someone gave me her race wheels when she bought a new bike and went from 650 wheels to 700s. Maybe do that  

Edited by amd723 2023-03-27 8:05 AM
2023-03-27 8:09 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

I think if you ask 100 people this question it would be equally split PM/RW.  IMHO, power meters will help you become a better cyclist (assuming you use it properly and not just look at the numbers like I tend to use mine), so you won't see immediate benefit. Race wheels will give you an immediate boost in speed, but for most AGers they say it is seconds of faster over an Olympic distance, so maybe a minute or so over 140.7.  Those savings could mean a lot to you if you are competitive - which you obviously are. So i suppose the question is whether you are looking for a longer term improvement to make you faster or an immediate one. One thing you might think about is buying the PM and renting race wheels. Or maybe buying a disc instead.

I am lucky b/c someone gave me her race wheels when she bought a new bike and went from 650 wheels to 700s. Maybe do that  

To me, the answer depends on a few things.

Will you be doing intervals outside or on Zwift or both? What wheels do you have now -- in other words, how big of a wheel upgrade are we talking about?

2023-03-27 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by amd723

To me, the answer depends on a few things.

Will you be doing intervals outside or on Zwift or both? What wheels do you have now -- in other words, how big of a wheel upgrade are we talking about?

So I think we are saying very similar things: will (how will) you use the PM and how much improvement will race wheels really be?  

2023-03-27 9:05 AM
in reply to: #5283809

User image

Good morning Manatees,
By way of introduction my name is Scot and I live in the northwest corner of Arkansas. I have been a part of this group for a year or so just not real active. Last year I raced quite a bit including two sprint tri's and two marathons. I then injured myself in November and am just now getting back to running. Running is my favorite discipline. This year's plans are one sprint and two Olympic distance. My swimming is not good.

I will try and be a .ore active part if this community and will be looking for help. I am part of a local tri team that has many good workouts. I doubt I will be able to afford any one on one coaching so will have to use what ever free/low cost training I can find on the internet. If you read all of this thank you.
2023-03-27 5:01 PM

User image

It appears I missed a step so here goes.

NAME: Scot

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook, Twitter, Strava, IG and Garmin Connect. I believe Scot Hendren is my user id on all of them.

STORY: Live in the NW corner of Arkansas I recently turned 56 so I am officially close to 60 than 50. LOL I'm a partner in a seamless gutter business married 9 years and raising our grandson age 5. In 2019 I decided I need to get into better shape so I quit a moderate smoking habit and started running and bought a bicycle. I had ridden bikes 10 years earlier. I had bought a Garmin watch from FB market place and the guy I got it from was part of a tri team. We talked for a little bit and I decided to join the team. I was hooked. I have yet to do an iron distance as I still struggle with the swim. In November I ran the Route 66 Marathon in Tulsa, OK. While training for it I injured myself and like any good runner I kept on running. After the marathon I had to go and see what was wrong with my leg. Turns out I had a torn meniscus. I stopped running until recently. Oh yeah I am also a recovered alcoholic with over 16 years sober.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Lisa, raising grandson Avery. Avery loves to run me in on my races.

CURRENT TRAINING: As earlier stated I am just getting back to training.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Republic Tiger Tri-Republic, MO
Joplin Summer Roundup-Joplin, MO
Tri-Fest Bentonville , AR
San Antonio Marathon {possibly}

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: to learn. I am here to learn from others. If I have something to offer even better.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: This one I am not sure about.

2023-03-27 7:26 PM
in reply to: scoty

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by scoty It appears I missed a step so here goes. NAME: Scot OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook, Twitter, Strava, IG and Garmin Connect. I believe Scot Hendren is my user id on all of them. STORY: Live in the NW corner of Arkansas I recently turned 56 so I am officially close to 60 than 50. LOL I'm a partner in a seamless gutter business married 9 years and raising our grandson age 5. In 2019 I decided I need to get into better shape so I quit a moderate smoking habit and started running and bought a bicycle. I had ridden bikes 10 years earlier. I had bought a Garmin watch from FB market place and the guy I got it from was part of a tri team. We talked for a little bit and I decided to join the team. I was hooked. I have yet to do an iron distance as I still struggle with the swim. In November I ran the Route 66 Marathon in Tulsa, OK. While training for it I injured myself and like any good runner I kept on running. After the marathon I had to go and see what was wrong with my leg. Turns out I had a torn meniscus. I stopped running until recently. Oh yeah I am also a recovered alcoholic with over 16 years sober. FAMILY STATUS: Married to Lisa, raising grandson Avery. Avery loves to run me in on my races. CURRENT TRAINING: As earlier stated I am just getting back to training. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Republic Tiger Tri-Republic, MO Joplin Summer Roundup-Joplin, MO Tri-Fest Bentonville , AR San Antonio Marathon {possibly} GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: to learn. I am here to learn from others. If I have something to offer even better. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: This one I am not sure about.

Hi Scot, welcome back . Sorry to read about your injury, but glad you are healed up and training again.

2023-03-28 6:25 AM
in reply to: scoty

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome back, Scot!

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  

of 33