Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2023-05-21 12:21 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever!

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by fortissimo
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

May 20-21
Leanne - Chattanooga 70.3 - Sunday

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

Good luck Leanne!

The pro race (women) is streaming live. It gave me something to watch while I did my trainer ride. Looks like a nice day - cooler than any time I've raced there! Paula Findley is crushing the field on the bike - up over 4 minutes on 2d. I think she is averaging about 27 mph. Pretty much the same way I've ridden that course

Nice, race, Leanne! 

I tried to follow you but every time I checked, it said something like Waiting to Start.  Even when I was sure that you were on the bike!

(Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 1.29.40 PM.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 1.29.40 PM.png (55KB - 4 downloads)

2023-05-21 12:22 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I also want to call out this part of Leanne's results

Impressive! 

(Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 1.30.21 PM.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 1.30.21 PM.png (18KB - 5 downloads)
2023-05-21 12:51 PM
in reply to: #5283809

Very impressive results Leanna!!! Nice job.
2023-05-21 2:01 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Impressive! 

smoking Fast! Congrats!!

2023-05-22 7:40 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Impressive! 

smoking Fast! Congrats!!

How are you doing today, Leanne?

2023-05-22 8:31 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Impressive! 

I'm not on strava too often - but THIS caught my eye! WELL DONE!

2023-05-22 10:41 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pennsylvania

Wow, Leanne!!  Congrats on a smoking fast day, very impressive!

2023-05-22 12:09 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Cypress, Texas

Ya...I saw Leanne's run time too. I was very impressed. 

I saw some good races from Chatty and Tulsa this weekend then spent all day looking at Ironman training plans dreaming of doing something big.  When the alarm clock when off at 5am this morning my dreams were not really as big.  It is hard enough to get out of the bed to train for a sprint triathlon.  Good work Leanne!  I show that you had the fastest run time in your AG and you beat Stephen Vallance from my running circle by over a minute.

2023-05-22 9:47 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Amazing! I just cannot imagine doing that run time off the bike.....Well, who am I kidding?....At this point in my life, I can't imagine doing it, period. Congratulations!
2023-05-23 3:50 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Thanks everyone!

Got home from Chattanooga last night around 6pm.

I happy with my overall performance. I took 10 minutes off my 2018 time!

I'll write more later as I am back to work today, tomorrow and Friday.

2023-05-23 9:12 AM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by canadarn2001 Thanks everyone! Got home from Chattanooga last night around 6pm. I happy with my overall performance. I took 10 minutes off my 2018 time! I'll write more later as I am back to work today, tomorrow and Friday.

Woo hoo! Looking forward to it!

2023-05-24 2:00 PM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by canadarn2001

Thanks everyone!

Got home from Chattanooga last night around 6pm.

I happy with my overall performance. I took 10 minutes off my 2018 time!

I'll write more later as I am back to work today, tomorrow and Friday.

I kept watching your updates on Strava, this is super impressive and motivating!
2023-05-24 2:07 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Denver, Colorado
I have recently joined a local triathlon club: Rocky Mountain Tri Club and I am super happy to be part of it!
They organize events, workouts, clinics, etc. They have several workouts each week, which is amazing - I just never got to align my schedule with their ugh..... But I attended their open water swim clinic yesterday, followed by a mini aquathlon. It was great to go to the open water again (first time since 2019) and felt comfortable to be in a larger group. It also gave mi a glimpse of a race, as I had other bodies around me, and the buubles, and such. I liked that there is a variety of experiences: from pros who are willing to mentor and inspire, to beginners and slower beasts with whom I just feel comfortable in general (despite many triathlons in the past I consider myself a slow newbie beast).

My swim began with a slow panic mode and I was able to figure out different ways to calm myself down - gosh, this is so different than the pool! haha It was also my very first time in a wetsuit, which I found interesting - especially the aspect of not feeling colder water

I was surprised with how fast I was with my run (we did a nice 2.5 mi) I got a bit into a competitive mode when I heard someone breathing behind my back, which helped me realize my running potential. Of course, it was a short swim followed by a short run, so I am not expecting anything like this in my actual race, but it was still reassuring

Attachments
----------------
Marysia-RMTC.jpeg (1103KB - 9 downloads)
2023-05-25 7:47 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by marysia83 I have recently joined a local triathlon club: Rocky Mountain Tri Club and I am super happy to be part of it! They organize events, workouts, clinics, etc. They have several workouts each week, which is amazing - I just never got to align my schedule with their ugh..... But I attended their open water swim clinic yesterday, followed by a mini aquathlon. It was great to go to the open water again (first time since 2019) and felt comfortable to be in a larger group. It also gave mi a glimpse of a race, as I had other bodies around me, and the buubles, and such. I liked that there is a variety of experiences: from pros who are willing to mentor and inspire, to beginners and slower beasts with whom I just feel comfortable in general (despite many triathlons in the past I consider myself a slow newbie beast). My swim began with a slow panic mode and I was able to figure out different ways to calm myself down - gosh, this is so different than the pool! haha It was also my very first time in a wetsuit, which I found interesting - especially the aspect of not feeling colder water I was surprised with how fast I was with my run (we did a nice 2.5 mi) I got a bit into a competitive mode when I heard someone breathing behind my back, which helped me realize my running potential. Of course, it was a short swim followed by a short run, so I am not expecting anything like this in my actual race, but it was still reassuring

It sounds like the swim clinic was a great success! Wetsuits can feel so constricting, especially if you haven’t used one in a while and they haven’t had a chance to stretch out/get more supple .  

2023-05-25 3:02 PM

User image

Originally posted by marysia83 I have recently joined a local triathlon club: Rocky Mountain Tri Club and I am super happy to be part of it! They organize events, workouts, clinics, etc. They have several workouts each week, which is amazing - I just never got to align my schedule with their ugh..... But I attended their open water swim clinic yesterday, followed by a mini aquathlon. It was great to go to the open water again (first time since 2019) and felt comfortable to be in a larger group. It also gave mi a glimpse of a race, as I had other bodies around me, and the buubles, and such. I liked that there is a variety of experiences: from pros who are willing to mentor and inspire, to beginners and slower beasts with whom I just feel comfortable in general (despite many triathlons in the past I consider myself a slow newbie beast). My swim began with a slow panic mode and I was able to figure out different ways to calm myself down - gosh, this is so different than the pool! haha It was also my very first time in a wetsuit, which I found interesting - especially the aspect of not feeling colder water I was surprised with how fast I was with my run (we did a nice 2.5 mi) I got a bit into a competitive mode when I heard someone breathing behind my back, which helped me realize my running potential. Of course, it was a short swim followed by a short run, so I am not expecting anything like this in my actual race, but it was still reassuring

It sounds like the swim clinic was a great success! Wetsuits can feel so constricting, especially if you haven’t used one in a while and they haven’t had a chance to stretch out/get more supple .  

Marysia, I'm so glad you found a team and people to train with! Sounds like your swim and run were also very successful.

For those who haven't used their wetsuits since last summer, soak them in the tub for several hours and then dry them inside out. Even if you don't do an OWS before a race, put your wetsuit on before race day. The soaking loosens it up and makes it way easier to put on the first time. I soak mine over night.

In fact, my wetsuit is already soaking right now because it's going on vacation next week to Hilton Head.
2023-05-26 9:50 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Denver, Colorado
Thank you both on your advices re: wetsuit. I bought mine in 2019 and never got a chance to use it because of pandemic. I was worried that my body has changed since 2019 and the wetsuit would be either too big or too small. It felt fine. I first felt weird in my throwat, but once I was in horizontal position in water it seems like it stretched along the body and I had absolutely no problem at all. While swimming, I completely forgot I had a westuite on. I was more focused on the fact how different it was from pool swimming and I was trying to manouver.
I need more open water practices, and I am super happy there are many opportunities in my area. There are weekly swims in Chatfield, which is very close to me, and Boulder reservoir - which is further, but that's where I am going to race, so it will be wise to swim there as well.

There is also one in Longmont - isn't it where you live? I also have couple of friends in Longmont and I may give it a try as well, just for a practice in different bodies of water.

Happy Friday everyone, i hope you all have a wonderful weather this long weekend!

2023-05-26 4:14 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

May 27-28
Jim - Holy Spokes Bike Tour - Saturday

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

2023-05-26 4:18 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

May 27-28

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Have a fun tour Jim!

2023-05-27 6:43 AM

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!!

May 27-28

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Have a fun tour Jim!

It feels like a win just to have something on the board this year.
2023-05-27 5:52 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Originally posted by marysia83

I have recently joined a local triathlon club: Rocky Mountain Tri Club and I am super happy to be part of it!
They organize events, workouts, clinics, etc. They have several workouts each week, which is amazing - I just never got to align my schedule with their ugh..... But I attended their open water swim clinic yesterday, followed by a mini aquathlon. It was great to go to the open water again (first time since 2019) and felt comfortable to be in a larger group. It also gave mi a glimpse of a race, as I had other bodies around me, and the buubles, and such. I liked that there is a variety of experiences: from pros who are willing to mentor and inspire, to beginners and slower beasts with whom I just feel comfortable in general (despite many triathlons in the past I consider myself a slow newbie beast).

My swim began with a slow panic mode and I was able to figure out different ways to calm myself down - gosh, this is so different than the pool! haha It was also my very first time in a wetsuit, which I found interesting - especially the aspect of not feeling colder water

I was surprised with how fast I was with my run (we did a nice 2.5 mi) I got a bit into a competitive mode when I heard someone breathing behind my back, which helped me realize my running potential. Of course, it was a short swim followed by a short run, so I am not expecting anything like this in my actual race, but it was still reassuring

Yay! I love being a part of a tri club. Nothing better than sharing the love of the sport with others no matter what your level/speed/experience is. I am so fearful of open water swimming but the tri club swims have really helped me gain confidence!
2023-05-27 5:54 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

Racing Manatees!!!

May 27-28

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Well just the name of this event alone sounds fun! Have a great time Jim! Hopefully your weather is better in Michigan than what we are having in Southeastern NC!!

2023-05-27 6:15 PM

User image

Originally posted by marysia83

Thank you both on your advices re: wetsuit. I bought mine in 2019 and never got a chance to use it because of pandemic. I was worried that my body has changed since 2019 and the wetsuit would be either too big or too small. It felt fine. I first felt weird in my throwat, but once I was in horizontal position in water it seems like it stretched along the body and I had absolutely no problem at all. While swimming, I completely forgot I had a westuite on. I was more focused on the fact how different it was from pool swimming and I was trying to manouver.
I need more open water practices, and I am super happy there are many opportunities in my area. There are weekly swims in Chatfield, which is very close to me, and Boulder reservoir - which is further, but that's where I am going to race, so it will be wise to swim there as well.

There is also one in Longmont - isn't it where you live? I also have couple of friends in Longmont and I may give it a try as well, just for a practice in different bodies of water.

Happy Friday everyone, i hope you all have a wonderful weather this long weekend!

I'm glad that you felt better when you got going. I always hat ethe tight feeling around my throat when I put my wetsuit on at first. I try to have someone nearby gently pull it up from the back and that seems to help, especially in my sleeveless wetsuit.

I'm in Thornton, which is about 30 minutes south of the Longmont exit that takes you to Union Reservoir. It's a nice lake to swim around in to get some practice in. They have a large roped off area for swimmers.
2023-05-30 1:52 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Hooray!!  This sounds like a good group with new training opportunities.

2023-06-02 12:53 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

June 3-4
Anne - Unbound Gravel
Leanne - Fleet Feet Big Run 5k

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

2023-06-02 1:59 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

June 3-4
Anne - Unbound Gravel
Leanne - Fleet Feet Big Run 5k

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

GO ANNE AND LEANNE!

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  

of 33