Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2023-01-13 6:26 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Expert
Illinois
Subject: RE: Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever!
Manatees, can we talk about custom cycling clothing for teams, clubs, etc.? I'd love to get your opinion on brands you like and brands that you do not like.

Background - - Our local cycling club has been using Pactimo for several years for custom clothing. It's time for a change. Lack of customer support, inconsistent quality of materials and more importantly, sizing that varies wildly. I've been burned too many times by Pactimo and have been given the green light to look into other brands. So far I've contacted:

Voler
Borah
Primal

Of these, Primal has been the most responsive and seems eager to get our club's business. The rep is sending me an assortment of sample clothing for our members to try on. I do have a couple of Primal jerseys and like the way they fit, so I'm already favorably impressed with them.

Voler and Borah seem interested but won't send sample clothing. This is probably a deal breaker.

A club member sent me a link to a company I've not heard of: Saffetti Smart Wear. She has a couple of jerseys and likes them. I can't find a lot of reviews on this company. Anyone heard of it?

So...fire away Manatees! Do you have a favorite brand of custom clothing? Do you have a brand you would stay away from? Thanks for any input!!!!

2023-01-13 6:29 AM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by canadarn2001

Originally posted by abake

As usual, I'm late to the game, but here's my bio.

NAME: Anne Schroll

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook and Strava: Anne Schroll

STORY: I found BT back in 2008 when I was venturing hesitantly into the triathlon scene. I never did any kind of exercise but started running in my 40s, mostly to lose weight and burn off stress, and then took an adult-onset swim class at the Y that was taught by a friend. through that class, I made a friend who told me about BT. She eventually left the website, I stuck around because I love the social aspect of this site.
Running eventually became a no-no due to chronic plantar fascitis and more recently, an arthritic knee, but gravel riding is now my passion. My husband Steve and I do a number of gravel events each year.
I'm VP and Marketing Director for our local bike club -- it's a fairly large club and keeps me busy in retirement. It's been a great way to meet cyclists from all ends of the spectrum.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm 61 and have a 33 yo daughter, 35 yo stepdaughter and 38 yo stepson. The 35 yo has some really sweet kids, so I get to be a grandma. It's truly the best. I have two old cats, Ollie and Latte, and a tankful of geriatric tropical fish.

CURRENT TRAINING: It's the tail end of the off season, so just Zwifting and doing EZ riding when weather permits.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Lot of gravel events leading up to my "A" event, Gravel Worlds in Lincoln, Nebraska.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Trying to lose a bit of weight and also working on mental stamina. I tend to back off sooner than I probably should. Hoping that working with a coach this year will help me push past that.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I'm not sure I'm a good manatee but this is a great bunch of people, so here I am!

I'm officially stalking (I mean following) you on FB!

You found me!!! Yeah for social media!
2023-01-13 6:35 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake Manatees, can we talk about custom cycling clothing for teams, clubs, etc.? I'd love to get your opinion on brands you like and brands that you do not like. Background - - Our local cycling club has been using Pactimo for several years for custom clothing. It's time for a change. Lack of customer support, inconsistent quality of materials and more importantly, sizing that varies wildly. I've been burned too many times by Pactimo and have been given the green light to look into other brands. So far I've contacted: Voler Borah Primal Of these, Primal has been the most responsive and seems eager to get our club's business. The rep is sending me an assortment of sample clothing for our members to try on. I do have a couple of Primal jerseys and like the way they fit, so I'm already favorably impressed with them. Voler and Borah seem interested but won't send sample clothing. This is probably a deal breaker. A club member sent me a link to a company I've not heard of: Saffetti Smart Wear. She has a couple of jerseys and likes them. I can't find a lot of reviews on this company. Anyone heard of it? So...fire away Manatees! Do you have a favorite brand of custom clothing? Do you have a brand you would stay away from? Thanks for any input!!!!

My bike club also uses Pactimo and has also been looking at other vendors. Major fit issues with the recent orders.

Have you tried Louis Garneau https://custom.garneau.com/?  I'm not on the committee for this but I know they sent a fit kit.

Kevin's bike college bike club just did a Primal order and he likes it a lot. I have a several primal jerseys and I like them a lot.

Hincapie does a nice job but they are pretty high end and I expect the pricing could be an issue.

2023-01-13 7:45 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by abake Manatees, can we talk about custom cycling clothing for teams, clubs, etc.? I'd love to get your opinion on brands you like and brands that you do not like. Background - - Our local cycling club has been using Pactimo for several years for custom clothing. It's time for a change. Lack of customer support, inconsistent quality of materials and more importantly, sizing that varies wildly. I've been burned too many times by Pactimo and have been given the green light to look into other brands. So far I've contacted: Voler Borah Primal Of these, Primal has been the most responsive and seems eager to get our club's business. The rep is sending me an assortment of sample clothing for our members to try on. I do have a couple of Primal jerseys and like the way they fit, so I'm already favorably impressed with them. Voler and Borah seem interested but won't send sample clothing. This is probably a deal breaker. A club member sent me a link to a company I've not heard of: Saffetti Smart Wear. She has a couple of jerseys and likes them. I can't find a lot of reviews on this company. Anyone heard of it? So...fire away Manatees! Do you have a favorite brand of custom clothing? Do you have a brand you would stay away from? Thanks for any input!!!!

My bike club also uses Pactimo and has also been looking at other vendors. Major fit issues with the recent orders.

Have you tried Louis Garneau https://custom.garneau.com/?  I'm not on the committee for this but I know they sent a fit kit.

Kevin's bike college bike club just did a Primal order and he likes it a lot. I have a several primal jerseys and I like them a lot.

Hincapie does a nice job but they are pretty high end and I expect the pricing could be an issue.

I've been using Zoot cycling shorts for a bit and really like them. I know they do custom team kits, but I have no experience with that, so can't speak to price or responsiveness. I have a couple of Primal jersey that I like, so imagine their kits are pretty good too.

2023-01-13 7:49 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Orlando

For the swimmers in the group - or anyone who used to swim, do your sinuses get filled with water? I meant to ask this before, but then stopped swimming, so it wasn't necessary! But, often after a swim my sinuses are filled with water to the extent that if i bend over to pick something up, water pours from my nostrils! I don't remember this being something that happened early in my adult onset swim career, but last year and now this year it seems a most every swim event. Is this just a me thing?!

2023-01-13 7:54 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

For the swimmers in the group - or anyone who used to swim, do your sinuses get filled with water? I meant to ask this before, but then stopped swimming, so it wasn't necessary! But, often after a swim my sinuses are filled with water to the extent that if i bend over to pick something up, water pours from my nostrils! I don't remember this being something that happened early in my adult onset swim career, but last year and now this year it seems a most every swim event. Is this just a me thing?!

I used to get "swimmer's nose" -- runny nose for an hour or two after swimming -- but not water running out when I got out of the pool. I

2023-01-13 8:08 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I used to get "swimmer's nose" -- runny nose for an hour or two after swimming -- but not water running out when I got out of the pool. I

Well, you've missed all the fun then  Too be clear, it doesn't just run out willy nilly, it's only when i bend over - so that's way better 

2023-01-13 8:25 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Well, you've missed all the fun then  Too be clear, it doesn't just run out willy nilly, it's only when i bend over - so that's way better 

It sounds like you just need to not bend over!

2023-01-13 8:40 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

It sounds like you just need to not bend over!

lol, I'll try that!

2023-01-13 9:08 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Originally posted by marysia83 Great to have you in the group, Curtis - I enjoy reading your reports. Do you still farm chickens? I remember the pictures of some beautiful, colorful chickens you raised!

I sort of still raise chickens, but not really.  When work transferred me from Oklahoma to Houston we were not able to find any properties that allowed poultry or that had acreage.  Everything here has HOA's that prohibit chickens. Any home with an acer lot is going to start at about 3 times the upper limit for what we could get approved for on a home loan, so I am boarding my flock with a member of our poultry club who lived about an hour further out of Huston than we do.  I go to work chickens a few times a year, but that isn't really enough to say i raise chickens even if my name is listed as the owner of the flock.  

This is sad... I do not understand why HOAs or counties, or towns would not allowed chickens. i can see why bisons, but chickens?? Fresh eggs!!!

Ya...they usually sight noise concerns.  It is laughable though because as you walk down the road every home on the street has a dog that is barking its head off but they still allow people in the HOA to keep their noise nuisance dogs.  They also sometime sight concerns with waste removal (i.e. piling up bird poop) and illnesses & parasites (i.e. Salmonella, mites, lice, etc.).  I think what it really comes down to is that chickens are a farm animal and they they are trying to keep livestock out of the neighborhoods to maintain an urban image. I was in Wyoming last week and when I run there I always pass pastures with Bison in them.  They are pretty popular in the Bridger Valley.  :-)

2023-01-13 9:23 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83

Originally posted by marysia83 Great to have you in the group, Curtis - I enjoy reading your reports. Do you still farm chickens? I remember the pictures of some beautiful, colorful chickens you raised!

I sort of still raise chickens, but not really.  When work transferred me from Oklahoma to Houston we were not able to find any properties that allowed poultry or that had acreage.  Everything here has HOA's that prohibit chickens. Any home with an acer lot is going to start at about 3 times the upper limit for what we could get approved for on a home loan, so I am boarding my flock with a member of our poultry club who lived about an hour further out of Huston than we do.  I go to work chickens a few times a year, but that isn't really enough to say i raise chickens even if my name is listed as the owner of the flock.  

This is sad... I do not understand why HOAs or counties, or towns would not allowed chickens. i can see why bisons, but chickens?? Fresh eggs!!!

Ya...they usually sight noise concerns.  It is laughable though because as you walk down the road every home on the street has a dog that is barking its head off but they still allow people in the HOA to keep their noise nuisance dogs.  They also sometime sight concerns with waste removal (i.e. piling up bird poop) and illnesses & parasites (i.e. Salmonella, mites, lice, etc.).  I think what it really comes down to is that chickens are a farm animal and they they are trying to keep livestock out of the neighborhoods to maintain an urban image. I was in Wyoming last week and when I run there I always pass pastures with Bison in them.  They are pretty popular in the Bridger Valley.  :-)

It's strange to me that chickens are allowed in Raleigh but not in Houston, although I guess it's more of an HOA thing than an ordinance thing.  Then again, the city could right the ordinance that they must be allowed by HOAs (like satellite dishes must be allowed).

2023-01-13 9:46 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Once in a great while this happens but not on the regular.  My regular issue is sensitivity to chlorine: a full day of sneezing, runny nose, and congestion each time I swim (unless I swim somewhere nicer than the Y).  F&M uses different chemicals and their water doesn't affect me nearly as bad.  One of the local rec centers has a salt water pool which is the best (I've swam there once or twice) but I'm not a member.

I agree with Janyne: just don't bend over!  Easy peasy!

2023-01-13 10:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Yikes! It's almost like I don't work in IT. I finally found some of Randee's results!  I have been told that one should treat this like an ultramarathon and that many people have a goal of finish and take all the pictures!

It seems that yesterday's 5k was not time?  Today's 10k results are posted and the half marathon and marathon will also be at the following URL: https://track.rtrt.me/e/WDW-WDW-2023#/tracker/RLUWV6KP.

You can sign up to receive email results at the URL above ^^^

Randee has finished the half marathon! Wooo hooo!!

So far, she has completed

• 5k on Thursday
  • 10k on Friday
  • Half marathon on Saturday

Tomorrow she has the marathon. 

Doooo eeettttt!!!!!

Randee has completed the first half of the marathon! GOOO!!!! RANDEE!!!!!

Randee has past the mile 20 checkpoint. Way to DOOO EEETTT!!!

Congratulations to Randee! Our very own Dopey Challenge Finisher! 

Way to DOOO EEETTT!!!

You're so awesome! Thanks for following.

I need to do my intro first I guess - here goes:

NAME: Randee or Mtnbikerchk or MBC

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook mostly FB but I do have Strava and the others.

STORY: I'm 49years old (and clinging to that for 2 more months). I was mostly a couch potato with some skiing and softball mixed in as a kid. I started mountain biking after college but didn't start running until around age 38 I think? Then I got hurt and started swimming and decided to try a local off road tri. And it snowballed quickly. Today I've done 5 fulls, a bunch of halves and yes, as of this past week, the dopey challenge.

FAMILY STATUS: I live in CT with my husband and our almost 3 year old mutt. We recently lost our 13 year old greyhound and 18 and 19 year old cats.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently recovering for 2 weeks. I train with Mike Plumb from CA.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: IMCDA in June - then lost of mountain biking!.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I feel like I've "known" these guys for years. It's great to have regular friends to connect with and bounce ideas off of.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Nothing makes me a good manatee. I'm terrible sometimes when I don't check in as often as I should. But Janyne keeps tabs on me and anyone can always reach me on FB or Strava.

Dopey recap - everyone says the hardest part is getting up at 2am every day. Actually that wasn't terrible. The worst part for me was being in FL on vacation for a week and not being able to do anything other than run in the am and rest in the pm. I don't really want to do that again. The HIGHLIGHT of the runs was riding Expedition Everest at mile 16 of the marathon That combined with my FOUR pee stops only cost me 11 minutes!!

And the sheer number of medals and shirts I have is ridiculous!

edited to add: this was my first stand alone marathon (and last).

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2023-01-13 10:17 AM
2023-01-13 10:12 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Yikes! It's almost like I don't work in IT. I finally found some of Randee's results!  I have been told that one should treat this like an ultramarathon and that many people have a goal of finish and take all the pictures!

It seems that yesterday's 5k was not time?  Today's 10k results are posted and the half marathon and marathon will also be at the following URL: https://track.rtrt.me/e/WDW-WDW-2023#/tracker/RLUWV6KP.

You can sign up to receive email results at the URL above ^^^

Randee has finished the half marathon! Wooo hooo!!

So far, she has completed

• 5k on Thursday
  • 10k on Friday
  • Half marathon on Saturday

Tomorrow she has the marathon. 

Doooo eeettttt!!!!!

Randee has completed the first half of the marathon! GOOO!!!! RANDEE!!!!!

Randee has past the mile 20 checkpoint. Way to DOOO EEETTT!!!

Congratulations to Randee! Our very own Dopey Challenge Finisher! 

Way to DOOO EEETTT!!!

You're so awesome! Thanks for following. I need to do my intro first I guess - here goes: NAME: Randee or Mtnbikerchk or MBC OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook mostly FB but I do have Strava and the others. STORY: I'm 49years old (and clinging to that for 2 more months). I was mostly a couch potato with some skiing and softball mixed in as a kid. I started mountain biking after college but didn't start running until around age 38 I think? Then I got hurt and started swimming and decided to try a local off road tri. And it snowballed quickly. Today I've done 5 fulls, a bunch of halves and yes, as of this past week, the dopey challenge. FAMILY STATUS: I live in CT with my husband and our almost 3 year old mutt. We recently lost our 13 year old greyhound and 18 and 19 year old cats. CURRENT TRAINING: Currently recovering for 2 weeks. I train with Mike Plumb from CA. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: IMCDA in June - then lost of mountain biking!. GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I feel like I've "known" these guys for years. It's great to have regular friends to connect with and bounce ideas off of. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Nothing makes me a good manatee. I'm terrible sometimes when I don't check in as often as I should. But Janyne keeps tabs on me and anyone can always reach me on FB or Strava. Dopey recap - everyone says the hardest part is getting up at 2am every day. Actually that wasn't terrible. The worst part for me was being in FL on vacation for a week and not being able to do anything other than run in the am and rest in the pm. I don't really want to do that again. The HIGHLIGHT of the runs was riding Expedition Everest at mile 16 of the marathon That combined with my FOUR pee stops only cost me 11 minutes!! And the sheer number of medals and shirts I have is ridiculous!

Riding a roller coaster during a marathon is AWESOME!

2023-01-13 10:14 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Manatees, can we talk about custom cycling clothing for teams, clubs, etc.? I'd love to get your opinion on brands you like and brands that you do not like.

Background - - Our local cycling club has been using Pactimo for several years for custom clothing. It's time for a change. Lack of customer support, inconsistent quality of materials and more importantly, sizing that varies wildly. I've been burned too many times by Pactimo and have been given the green light to look into other brands. So far I've contacted:

Voler
Borah
Primal

Of these, Primal has been the most responsive and seems eager to get our club's business. The rep is sending me an assortment of sample clothing for our members to try on. I do have a couple of Primal jerseys and like the way they fit, so I'm already favorably impressed with them.

Voler and Borah seem interested but won't send sample clothing. This is probably a deal breaker.

A club member sent me a link to a company I've not heard of: Saffetti Smart Wear. She has a couple of jerseys and likes them. I can't find a lot of reviews on this company. Anyone heard of it?

So...fire away Manatees! Do you have a favorite brand of custom clothing? Do you have a brand you would stay away from? Thanks for any input!!!!

our tri club is using Castelli again this year. I do love their stuff. I'm assuming they are easy to work with because the people in charge have no patience LOL

we used to use LG but the last year we did (2019 maybe?) The sizing was really crazy. I have a TON of LG stuff and always wear mediums but the shorts I ordered were huge!

Oh and I joined team Zoot this year - and I'm LOVING their stuff - so maybe check their custom stuff!

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2023-01-13 10:16 AM
2023-01-13 6:06 PM

User image

Expert
NAME: Jim

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Strava https://www.strava.com/athletes/3025221,Twitter @JamesBacarella Facebook https://www.facebook.com/james.bacarella.9Instagram jabacarella

STORY: I'm 56. The elected prosecutor in a small rural county in Northeast Michigan on Lake Huron, and I have a small civil practice. I have been in triathlon for 16 years. It started as a midlife crisis/weight loss journey that turned into a lifestyle. Now I plan to keep doing this until I age out the good athletes. I see it as a 25 year plan.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Michelle, we roll 30 years this August. We have 4 adult children all in their 20's. The oldest is an immigration attorney on the Texas/Mexico border. The next is in her 3rd year of med school. The third graduates with her MSW in the spring and the 4th graduates with a BS in the spring. One 15 year old dog that does not seem to age.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am restarting an Iron distance plan, because life was turned upside down at the beginning of the year.

2023 RACES/EVENTS:
I have no idea. I'm going to Italy in the fall. Everything else revolves around that

GOALS: Be ready when I figure out what I am going to do

WHAT MAKES ME A GOOD MANATEE: I like the comradery and support of the group. I hope to learn something and share a little about what I have learned

Edited by JBacarella 2023-01-13 6:08 PM

2023-01-14 5:40 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Yes, the fit issues with Pactimo, especially for the women, has been a huge issue for our club. I'll look at LG and Hincapie just in case. Thanks!
2023-01-14 5:41 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

I've been using Zoot cycling shorts for a bit and really like them. I know they do custom team kits, but I have no experience with that, so can't speak to price or responsiveness. I have a couple of Primal jersey that I like, so imagine their kits are pretty good too.

I'll take a look at Zoot -- have a friend who wears that brand and really liks it
2023-01-14 5:42 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Voler
Borah
Primal

our tri club is using Castelli again this year. I do love their stuff. I'm assuming they are easy to work with because the people in charge have no patience LOL

we used to use LG but the last year we did (2019 maybe?) The sizing was really crazy. I have a TON of LG stuff and always wear mediums but the shorts I ordered were huge!

Oh and I joined team Zoot this year - and I'm LOVING their stuff - so maybe check their custom stuff!

I forgot about Castelli, thanks for the reminder!
2023-01-14 11:47 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Swimming and sinuses.....yep. But I find it depends on the pool. Some pools seem to use more/different chemicals and drive my sinuses crazier than others. Haven't found a cure yet other than to have plenty of Kleenex on hand in my swim bag and the car. One particular pool always leaves me congested at night and I end up taking Sudafed or similar. (I swim at several different pools--our club membership gives us access to any practice at any pool, and which one I swim at depends on that season's combo of work hours and available practices.) On top of that I tend to have asthma issues in poorly ventilated pools. I can tell from my training log which pool I did the workout in because I am about 5-6 seconds/100m faster in outdoor pools!

My sinuses are happier at outdoor pools, maybe because there's more fresh air to breathe. Never been an issue with OWS, although in Asia, I'd often get a sore throat for several hours after swimming in the ocean. It hasn't happened here, where it's always been in lakes. I suppose it might also have to do with the salt, or maybe pollution levels.
2023-01-14 12:35 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

A big welcome back to Randee and Jim! Glad to have you "officially" on board!

2023-01-14 1:59 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Riding a roller coaster during a marathon is AWESOME!

I once turned on my GPS watch when I was getting on a Roller Coaster just to see if people were paying attention.  I got a few Kudos on Strava for my "Nice Run" so I pulled he wool over a few people's eyes with that one. I would love to do a Roller Coaster during a marathon and see if anyone catches it in my run data.  :-

2023-01-14 2:16 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Cypress, Texas

I do not have a lot of experience with bike clothing.  I rode in my Speedo Jammer shorts and Under Armour Compression shirt my first two years on the bike.  Then I got a pair of bike shorts that say "The Hub of Aspen" on them.  I assume that is a local Bike Shop in Aspen, Co but I don't know what brand the shorts are.  They don't have any markings on them to show that.  I finally got a real cycling outfit last year.  I went ahead and got the Kiwami Aubisque Bib Cycling Shorts and Kiwami Mente Cycling Jersey.  Everyone said that once you go to the Bib bike shorts you will never go back to the regular bike shorts, but I was just as happy in the speedo jammer swim trunks so what do I know?  I think I like riding in my one piece tri suit better than bib shorts and a top.  The elastic waistline of the cycling top always seems to ride up and cause the material to much up in the middle.   Hmm?  

2023-01-14 2:38 PM

User image

Expert

A big welcome back to Randee and Jim! Glad to have you "officially" on board!

It's good to be officially back on board.
2023-01-14 2:42 PM

User image

Expert

I'll take a look at Zoot -- have a friend who wears that brand and really liks it

I've worn Zoot for years, They are reasonably comfortable and hold up well. I still have my first pair of Zoot tri shorts. I wear them on the trainer and the are still in good condition. I think I've had them for 15 years.
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  

of 33