Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2023-10-27 11:56 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever!

Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Yes, the popularity of triathlon has fallen and a lot if that, I think, has to do with Ironman (the company), itself.  They made the general public think that Ironman IS triatlon and we all know that is not the case.  In fact, the 140.6 distance no longer seems to be the moneymaker for Ironman.  They have successfully "rebranded" the 70.3 distance.

Regarding sexism on ST, that's always been the case. This is a site that created a "The Womens" space which itself is not free of men telling women how things are despite the description "If you are female or if you need the wise counsel of female triathletes, this forum is dedicated to you."  In fairness, I gave up on it years ago after too many men throwing in their two cents on women's gear, bodies, etc.

I am on ST from time to time, but I guess not in the pass week because I didn't see any of these treads.  I have never been on the women's thread on ST so I don't know what is discussed there, but know that the Triathlon thread on ST is dominated by men.

I will say there are few women that give me a run for my money.  I am at the pointy end of the my age group for the men and so when there are women beating me I know that they are in class and competing on a level I can't even comprehend.  The guys on ST who are talking big because they have an 87 composite USAT score might not see many women around them on the course but there are ladies who are coming in right behind them that are getting a USAT scores of 97 and they are much more impressive and inspiring.  They are pacing better, pushing harder, competing at a higher level.  They don't have to "try" hard because as master Yoda taught there is not try.  You do, or do not.  Those ladies are doing.   

Love it!

x2 - love all of the thoughts about 'better pacing' and re-framing the questions. I have a very similar feeling about ST in general - I get the feeling with quite a few of them they want it to only be those guys who are really "serious" about it (ie, the dilution of the Ironman so 'anyone' can finish and always looking for more exclusive things). I agree with Ann-Marie about qualification ... I don't know what the right answer is or if there is one. It's really up to Ironman. It's all made up - and for all except the pro spots, it's a hobby! 

But overall I did keep an eye on the Kona race and just LOVED following along.  Hello, Melanie McQuaid qualifying as a pro at 50!!!? And, she finished even though she tested + for covid the next day. 

I mean, triathlon is a hard sport to get into and to stay in. It's $$ for a bike and other gear, it's $ and time find and get in a pool on a regular basis, it's all the volume. If you do hang around a place like ST you get the feeling that you have to be doing ALL the things in order to make it worth it or why are you trying? It's a lot of logistics to even stay in over time when life gets busy or changes. So i do wonder about how to get people to move up or down the distance as life shifts to stay with it or find ways to come back to. It's not Ironman or nothing ... 

I LOVED Mel McQuaid's story and was disappointed for her that she didn't have the race she could have. Then I read she didn't realize she had COVID, so that explains why she had a tougher time than she expected. What a badas@! I was also taken in with the Taylor Knibb story, she is amazing. Actually, the whole race had so many great performances and stories.

2023-10-27 11:59 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Yesterday, Ann-Marie commented that I have my 2024 season all figured out!  While I don't agree 100%, I do have a decent outline for the first part of the year and I did load up a TrainerRoad plan yesterday.  What do you plan/hope to do for the rest of this year and the first half of 2024? Do you plan to take some time off to have an "off season?" Do you plan more strength or mobility or yoga during the winter months ore maybe you are switching sports to have a "run season" or "cycling season" -- or "ski season?" 

I'd love to hear what you have in mind!

Good question/s! I have a general idea of what i'd (probably) like to do next year. My immediate goal is to get recovered, get the ok to start running, and then suck up the frustration that will come from trying to get my run back. I know I do better embracing the suck when I have an event that I really want to do, so I am hoping for a May HM in Bryson City. Since it's not on Glory Hound's calendar yet I can't say for sure this is a go. The 2d race is Augusta 70.3. Injury this year made me transfer from Choo to Augusta and then cancel Augusta, so I am contemplating whether I want to try for Augusta in 2024.  I also know I need to commit to doing mobility work, so once I can get into PT I hope I can start in on that. Lastly, I really, really, really need to get my nutrition back on track as this year has been sad in that regard!  I'm sure there will be more things added to the calendar once I know where I am with my recovery.

A trip to Bryson City in May sounds amazing!

2023-10-27 12:22 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by amd723

Yesterday, Ann-Marie commented that I have my 2024 season all figured out!  While I don't agree 100%, I do have a decent outline for the first part of the year and I did load up a TrainerRoad plan yesterday.  What do you plan/hope to do for the rest of this year and the first half of 2024? Do you plan to take some time off to have an "off season?" Do you plan more strength or mobility or yoga during the winter months ore maybe you are switching sports to have a "run season" or "cycling season" -- or "ski season?" 

Good question/s! I have a general idea of what i'd (probably) like to do next year. My immediate goal is to get recovered, get the ok to start running, and then suck up the frustration that will come from trying to get my run back. I know I do better embracing the suck when I have an event that I really want to do, so I am hoping for a May HM in Bryson City. Since it's not on Glory Hound's calendar yet I can't say for sure this is a go. The 2d race is Augusta 70.3. Injury this year made me transfer from Choo to Augusta and then cancel Augusta, so I am contemplating whether I want to try for Augusta in 2024.  I also know I need to commit to doing mobility work, so once I can get into PT I hope I can start in on that. Lastly, I really, really, really need to get my nutrition back on track as this year has been sad in that regard!  I'm sure there will be more things added to the calendar once I know where I am with my recovery.

A trip to Bryson City in May sounds amazing!

May in Bryson City is about perfect! I imagine gravel riding then os great, too. (Wink).
2023-10-30 7:10 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

We've had a busy weekend in our Geneva group. Any Manatee wishing to join us, here's the invitation link

https://links.geneva.com/invite/0c6d62b2-b2db-4a78-be65-3e2efb5fe646

Remember, once a Manatee, always a Manatee.

2023-10-30 10:18 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

You are outstanding with your planning, Janyne!

This fall/winter will be ice hockey, swimming, and continuing to strengthen knees/hips/whatever to get the PF happy.  Simple first goal: graduate from pool running to real running.  I'd settle for that, but I wouldn't mind doing shorter distance tris again, like sprint or Oly and shorter running events (5K, 10K).  I'm really not sure I'll ever get back to where I was, but I also don't know I won't.

I'd also like to spend more time with my bike(s) before they disown me.

2023-10-30 10:26 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

You are outstanding with your planning, Janyne!

This fall/winter will be ice hockey, swimming, and continuing to strengthen knees/hips/whatever to get the PF happy.  Simple first goal: graduate from pool running to real running.  I'd settle for that, but I wouldn't mind doing shorter distance tris again, like sprint or Oly and shorter running events (5K, 10K).  I'm really not sure I'll ever get back to where I was, but I also don't know I won't.

I'd also like to spend more time with my bike(s) before they disown me.

Bikes are generally pretty forgiving.  I support spending more time with them though!

2023-10-30 9:51 PM

User image

Expert
2024 figured out! I don't even have this week figured out! Too many trips out of town (I wouldn't trade the Italy trip though), work and getting a house ready to rent have really put my fall into a tail spin. I should have a quiet winter, so if I can just hold on and keep from going further backwards the next two months, I should be able to put things back together.
I did apply for Escape from Alcatraz, I didn't get picked, so I'm waiting for the loser's lottery. The other is D2 will hopefully get a residency in NYC, so I'm going to try their lottery too.
2023-10-31 7:28 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella 2024 figured out! I don't even have this week figured out! Too many trips out of town (I wouldn't trade the Italy trip though), work and getting a house ready to rent have really put my fall into a tail spin. I should have a quiet winter, so if I can just hold on and keep from going further backwards the next two months, I should be able to put things back together. I did apply for Escape from Alcatraz, I didn't get picked, so I'm waiting for the loser's lottery. The other is D2 will hopefully get a residency in NYC, so I'm going to try their lottery too.

So many lotteries! 

2023-11-15 5:00 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by JBacarella 2024 figured out! I don't even have this week figured out! Too many trips out of town (I wouldn't trade the Italy trip though), work and getting a house ready to rent have really put my fall into a tail spin. I should have a quiet winter, so if I can just hold on and keep from going further backwards the next two months, I should be able to put things back together. I did apply for Escape from Alcatraz, I didn't get picked, so I'm waiting for the loser's lottery. The other is D2 will hopefully get a residency in NYC, so I'm going to try their lottery too.

So many lotteries! 

If you are talking about NYC triathlon, thry dont do lottery anymore. Just sign up.
2023-11-16 6:21 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Someone recently pointed out that most of our conversation is taking place on Geneva these days.

Interested in joining the Manatees on Geneva? DM me or virtually any other Manatee and we'll send a group invitation your way.

2023-11-16 7:47 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by ceilidh

So many lotteries! 

If you are talking about NYC triathlon, thry dont do lottery anymore. Just sign up.

I want to do NYC Marathon. I have too many unknown variables to deal with a bike. My daughter only applied to medical systems in New York City. Normally we would stay with her, but space is unknown. She will have to live within 30 minutes from the system she works for. Hopefully she does not live in Bed-Stuy this time! Her presumptive fiancé is currently in Manhattan, and the medical system he works for won't let him move out of Manhattan.

2023-11-23 9:22 AM

User image

Expert
I don't know if we are still on here, but just in case. I did a Turkey Trot this morning. 36 seconds slower than last year, but still enough to be the 3rd fastest old guy in Lenawee County. haha.
2023-11-23 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella I don't know if we are still on here, but just in case. I did a Turkey Trot this morning. 36 seconds slower than last year, but still enough to be the 3rd fastest old guy in Lenawee County. haha.

Po-di-um!!!!  Congratulations and Happy Thanksgiving!

2023-11-23 10:29 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella I don't know if we are still on here, but just in case. I did a Turkey Trot this morning. 36 seconds slower than last year, but still enough to be the 3rd fastest old guy in Lenawee County. haha.

Congrats and Happy Thanksgiving!

2023-11-23 10:32 AM
in reply to: #5283809

Happy turkey day manatees!!!! Hope you all are well.
2023-11-25 6:05 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
We are doing well here in Oregon. I swear everyone in the county decided to burn off their turkey in the outdoor pool today despite temps in the low 30's! Have never seen so many people there in the winter.

2023-11-27 7:26 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner We are doing well here in Oregon. I swear everyone in the county decided to burn off their turkey in the outdoor pool today despite temps in the low 30's! Have never seen so many people there in the winter.

Oh no! Pool over capacity issues are such a pain!

2023-11-27 7:27 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm sure that most of you saw Alice's post.

Here's the short version: $50/year to access the training logs. Sign up for the Bronze membership or export your data.

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  

of 33