United States
80sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 07m 7s
Overall Rank = 40/1149
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/53
Pre-race routine:

Got to Disney World around 3:30 Sat. to go to the expo/talk/bike drop off. We parked at the Magic Kingdom and were bussed to the contemporary, but by the time we got to the expo there was only one more pre-race instruction meeting at 5 and I wasn't going to wait for it. So we got bussed back to Majic Kingdom and got our bikes to put on the bus to go to the Fort Wilderness transition. Then it was dinner time and time to watch the Gators win another one over Kentucky!
Event warmup:

Got body marked, set up transition, and got the timing chip super fast. If there was an award for that I think I might have won it. We weren't allowed to get in the water so I just hung out with family and listened to the music and anouncements.
Swim
  • 24m 25s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

I got in front of my wave because I felt I may have a good swim, but I didn't realize how shallow the water was for quite a few yards. So I ran for a while and figured it must time to swim and started swimming, but others around me were still running. In fact they were running all over me. So I got a little squashed, but I kept swimming anyway. I got into a rythm in the front of our wave but noticed that the water had a wierd taste to it. I know your not supposed to be drinking the water, but you know some gets in there. I think it was gasoline/oily, yuck. Anyway, I started catching the wave in front of me and I figured I would go to the right of them. Soon enough I found my going right toward some boat so I got back on course, but the rest of the swim was trying to find a way though the two waves of people infront of me.
What would you do differently?:

Not try to go way off to one side to get around people, nomatter what there will be people, just try to get in the gaps.
Transition 1
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

2:27 sounds like a long time but T1 was a long haul away from the beach. I was actually tired from the swim, which I am not used to, so that made running to T1 even more of a bother. I didn't attend the pre-race meeting the day before so I didn't know exactly where I was going. But I just followed others and that worked out ok.

Go to the pre-race meeting.
Bike
  • 53m 53s
  • 20.41 miles
  • 22.73 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike started up on a small, maybe 3 yard wide path for about a half mile. So there was no going fast through that. Plus there were many sharp turns during and after that. I didn't realize how sharp some were, and I had to use the brakes a few times. But then I got cruzing alright around 24 and passed a quite a few people. Finally this guy on a beautiful Orbea tribike passed me and told me I was doing good, and he cruzed on, but later as he was eating I passed him again. Then there was the U turn from H E double hockey sticks. The turn was wide so I took it a little fast and found a nice patch of sand right in the middle of it. As soon as I hit it the rear wheel started fish-tailing and I was hitting the brakes and unclipping ready to fall on my left. But somehow I made it out without falling. So as I cliped back in and got going again. I yelled SAND to the guy on the Orbea about to do the U turn so he wouldn't hit it too. Going back towards Disney I saw Three horrible things. The first was a fire truck, ambulance, and tons police all taking care of a biker who fell going the other way. He looked pretty tore up on the stretcher with blood on his shoulder and head, poor guy. Then I kept trucking along and I heard someone coming up on me and it was a big group of maybe 10 people all drafting. It looked like a local training ride. They were going at least 24/25 since they didn't have to work real hard. So I let them pass me and after they did I just tried to keep them in my vision and figured if I can still see them I must be doing alright. Finally I was nearing the end and I saw that we take the same path back into Fort Wilderness again. The only problem with that is there were people going the other way too. So if anyone wanted to pass the entire road was covered with bikes. Then, I saw the first runners starting up, and they were sharing the same path too! So it was 2 lanes of bikes, and 1 lane of runners all in maybe 4 yards. Then the turns started comming and I caught up to the drafters by the transition but it was a mess with all those people. Then to top it all off my odometer read 20.41, no 24 miles like the race was supposed to be.

I did all I could with what I was given. I feel sorry for the people who were hurt/endangered due to the conditions.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Everyone conjested the dismount so that was a little rough and people started running the wrong way, but I was lucky enough to follow the right people.

Know where I was going
Run
  • 45m 2s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

We started running on the same path as all of the cyclists and some were nice and said on your left and I would dodge as many as I could but there were alot. Then I caught back up to the Orbea guy and we said hello for a minute, but I ended up passing him. Finally we got to the first aid station and out of the way of the cyclists but I knew we were out farther than a mile. I have never taken a drink at an aid station before since this is my first olympic distance, I never needed to. I train with the fuel belt bottles but this was my first encounter with a dixie cup while running. I aimed for my mouth, but somehow all of the powerade went right into my eyes and I got nothing into my tummy. So the next aid station I slowed down to get the powerade in. Very little time was spent in Epcot. Most of the time was on real sunny roads to get to Epcot. I started getting a cramp in my stomach but this was one was different. I think it was my entire rectus abdominis. I tried to keep good posture to get the air in my lungs but I kept having to bend over. There was another guy struggling in front of me and when I passed him he started walking, but I yelled out "keep it up only a little more" and he kept chugging along. It was nice to hear your name as you cross the line.

Not try to injest powerade through my eyes.
Post race
Warm down:

When people passed me on the run I looked at thier age marked on them and I knew I didn't place so it was time to go back to the bussing. There wasn't much good food, just some rasins, oranges, bagel quarters, and powerade/water. We had to take a bus back to Fort Wilderness and then another to the car in Magic Kingdom.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

#1 the course. #2 My running. It stinks. I hate getting passed by everyone after all that hard work swimming and biking.

Event comments:

This is only my second triathlon, but I have been to enough events to know this was poorly done. All the bussing, poor course, and poor general organization made this a bit of a hassel. I enjoyed my first local tri so much more, I hope all big races aren't like this. I am going to do the Florida Challange half IM next month and I am expecting much more from that one. With all the money this race costs and the disney name, I think Walt would be disapointed. You really don't even see much of Disney, we did see chip and dale, but that was all the characters there were. The nicest thing about the race was the participants and thier positive additude though the entire race. Also the support staff taking care of the injured.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-04-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:25 | 1640 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/53
Overall: 18/1149
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: 1 loop triangle around the lake.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:27
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:53:53 | 20.41 miles | 22.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/53
Overall: 66/1149
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: A MESS!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 94
Turns: Bad Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:45:02 | 06.21 miles | 07m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/53
Overall: 114/1149
Performance: Below average
Course: Sunny and Hot. Epcot was nice though. I don't know if this was really 6.2 since the bike wasn't really what it was supposed to be.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2006-09-25 1:17 PM

User image

Regular
Long Island
Subject: Walt Disney World Triathlon

2006-09-25 1:27 PM
in reply to: #550970

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: RE: Walt Disney World Triathlon
great job! sounds like you and sue had some of the same problems with that path. you should write a letter to the rd.
2006-09-25 1:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Nice job!!!
I wish I had to worry about catching up to other waves in the swim!!!
Congrats!
2006-09-25 3:44 PM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

okay, this is the second person with a BLAZING run time who says their running sucks.  Sir, your running DOES NOT suck.  Trust me on this one. 

2006-09-25 3:57 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-09-25 4:03 PM

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Amazing race!!! When you turning pro?  If I could run 7:15 minute miles...well then a miracle would have occured....Congrats on a great result!!!

2006-09-25 4:30 PM
in reply to: #551210

Regular
Long Island
Lucy - 2006-09-25 4:44 PM

okay, this is the second person with a BLAZING run time who says their running sucks.  Sir, your running DOES NOT suck.  Trust me on this one. 

I just wish I didn't get passed by everyone in my age group. I literally saw everyone that finished better than me all pass me on the run. It stinks to see first or second slip away as they run by, and you can't do anything about it.
2006-09-25 4:31 PM
in reply to: #551265

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
dcwanabe - 2006-09-25 4:30 PM
Lucy - 2006-09-25 4:44 PM

I just wish I didn't get passed by everyone in my age group. I literally saw everyone that finished better than me all pass me on the run. It stinks to see first or second slip away as they run by, and you can't do anything about it.

OK try being 1st or 2nd on swim and bike (OK so I was just top 20% this race but still) and having the ENTIRE RACE pass you....welcome to my world

2006-09-25 7:13 PM

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Glad you made it through the sand. Ditto on all your comments about the race. I saw 2 ambulances on the way out. I almost bought it when the girl next to me clipped a cone. Lots of newbies in the race.
2006-09-25 7:29 PM

Buttercup
WOW. Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Walt Disney World Triathlon Rss Feed