Kinetic Multisports
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 49s
Overall Rank = 23/156
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/19
Pre-race routine:

Was 96/354 overall. Those numbers will be used below, not women, b/c they are not separated out that way.
I did much better with nutrition for this race. I woke up and got ready. Was mostly packed up, and made some scrambled eggs. I also had a banana from the day before, and had some Tailwind and a Kind bar. My friend drove since I decided not to stay the night before, and she has a car big enough for both of our bikes. It was really great having someone to go with. She showed up a little later than I thought she would though, so it was a bit of a rush once we got there. The lines for the bathroom were longer than the prior day. We did that first, then checked in and went back to get our stuff. Had about a half hour once we checked in to get everything set up. There also was very little space on the racks, so I had to squeeze in to a small space. I helped her set up so her transition time would be quick also. Used the bathroom again, took out my invisalign, and we walked to the swim start (same as the day before, about a quarter mile walk).
Event warmup:

Didn't really warm up since we were running a little late. I was pretty sore from the day before and definitely meant to do more stretching than I was able.
Swim
  • 17m 14s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 18s / 100 meters
Comments:

Felt pretty good. Probably went a little later than I would've since I was with my friend, but this gave me the opportunity to pass people on the swim and bike, so that felt nice. I probably could've gone faster, but there were a lot of people. One guy towards the end was swimming breaststroke and kicked me right in my boob (more TMI). That hurt a lot. Better than my face though I suppose.
I ran pretty hard out of the water again. My friend's family and boyfriend were there so it was nice having people cheering who I actually knew this time.
What would you do differently?:

I wouldn't have gone near the guy doing breaststroke...
Transition 1
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

About 20 seconds faster than the day before. I didn't bother drinking anything before climbing on the bike since it was shorter and I had my water bottle with Tailwind on there.

Nothing, this was pretty quick. I think I could only improve if I did a running start and left my shoes clipped in.
Bike
  • 46m 32s
  • 15 miles
  • 19.34 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt great on the bike. Still had a slower bit on the way out, with the headwind and the gradual incline. Having the shorter race the second day was huge. I felt amazing. Was worried I would again overcook myself on the bike before the run, but figured I'd just go for it.

Nothing, I felt great. Still need a faster bike... :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Slightly faster here than the day before. The person next to me put their bike on diagonally, which was really upsetting. I had to do some work to get it racked. They also had messed my setup up a little. I almost ran off without my number b/c it was under their stuff.

Get there earlier to get set up and hopefully not be in such a tight space. I have a feeling the person next to me was upset too, but they were too spread out on the rack and should've made room for another bike. Actually that's one thing I don't like about this race. It's a free-for-all on where you put your bike, rather than having a set number. I think that makes it really hard for athletes who get there later, since people who got there early are not in transition anymore to move their own stuff.
Run
  • 26m 2s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 13s  min/km
Comments:

I felt really good on this run. I was nervous after cramping up yesterday, but I think with my nutrition for the day and it being a shorter race, I was in good shape for 3.1 miles. I had gatorade at each aid station, and at a couple also got water and dumped half of it on my head. I went out a little hard but still held my pace pretty well towards the end. I almost ran off the course at the end b/c they had a turn to the finish and I followed the road, but actually needed to run on the grass between cones. They should've had cones blocking the drive! :) People yelled enough though and I realized my error pretty quick. Finished very strong and felt really good.

Other than training more I am really happy with how this race went.
Post race
Warm down:

I found my friend's family and hung with them while we waited for her to finish. This was her first triathlon so we weren't sure what to expect. She's a great athlete, but does shorter stuff, and didn't train much for the swim or bike. They filled me in on her times so far and we had an idea of when she would come through.
Had an ice cold washcloth again which was amazing. Took some pics after she finished and had some food b/c the line started getting kind of crazy. Same food as the day before. She's mostly vegetarian (only eats meat one day a week) and did not want to waste it on this, so that is another place this race lacked. Not great veggie options.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training - I think had I not done the Oly the day before this might have been a little faster, but I'm extremely pleased with my performance.

Event comments:

More veggie options would be good, but otherwise this race was amazing! Well organized, lots of volunteers, and a great atmosphere overall.

Last updated: 2023-06-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:14 | 750 meters | 02m 18s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/19
Overall: 105/156
Performance: Good
2:18 min per 100 yds
Suit: Tri Suit
Course: Same as the day before, except we just did 3 sides of the rectangle and then were able to climb out. It's in a harbor, so very calm. Jump in start, 2 at a time.
Start type: Dive Plus: Shot
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:24
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:46:32 | 15 miles | 19.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/19
Overall: 124/156
Wind: Headwind
Course: Somehow there was a headwind both ways, don't ask me how! In all seriousness though, my way back was much faster so I think it just felt windy b/c I was FLYING :) Same route as the day before, only we cut off 10 miles by turning much sooner. This made it a flatter course, because there were a few hills between miles 7-14 or so on the Oly.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:02 | 05 kms | 05m 13s  min/km
Age Group: 5/19
Overall: 102/156
8:23 min/mile
Course: Very flat, same as day before, only had to do the loop once rather than twice. 4 or 5 aid stations, which was fantastic.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2023-06-06 3:27 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: Rock Hall Sprint Triathlon

2023-06-06 10:10 PM
in reply to: #5285727

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Rock Hall Sprint Triathlon
Great job backing up from the day before. That's hardcore.
2023-06-12 12:07 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog Great job backing up from the day before. That's hardcore.

^^^ THIS.

And 4th in your AG on tired legs is damned impressive.

As for Kinetic's transition areas - yeah, if you get there late it's a mess to deal with.  I try to grab a spot up against the "fence" so I only have one neighbor to deal with and I can dump more stuff up against it.

Great racing weekend!

2023-06-15 2:01 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Thank you both!

Yes lesson learned on the transition area. That was awful!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock Hall Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rock Hall International Triathlon

Started by nicole14e
Views: 420 Posts: 4

2023-06-15 2:02 PM nicole14e

Rock Hall International Triathlon

Started by aburnett
Views: 261 Posts: 1

2023-06-03 12:30 PM aburnett

Pat Griskus Sprint Triathlon

Started by dtoce
Views: 792 Posts: 3

2022-07-16 5:13 PM dtoce

Lake Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon

Started by dtoce
Views: 519 Posts: 1

2022-07-01 12:04 PM dtoce

Pat Griskus-Sprint (Oly/DU/Sprint-options)

Started by dtoce
Views: 678 Posts: 5

2022-06-28 6:06 PM dtoce