General Discussion Race Reports! » Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Half Redman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Half Redman - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
United States
Oklahoma Redman Triathlon
81F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 31m 55s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = w35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/13
Pre-race routine:

I need to start writing this down. It is already fading from my memory.

I came to OK City to try and redeem myself from my first and only HIM this spring in Florida. There, I ended up walking most of the run due to poor fitted shoes and not enough running experience. Since then I have put in several more hours of running, and joined a master swim class.

I arrived in OK City on Thursday evening to winds blowing 40-45 mph. I am used to winds, but I was sure glad that the triathlon was not being held on Thursday.

Friday morning I took advantage of the early swim practice in Lake Hefner. The water was clear, and winds were calm. There was no chop. It was a wonderful swim, and it boosted my spirits. Later that day I drove the bike course and got pulled over by a cop for doing 39mph in a 25mph school zone. Fortunately, he only gave me a warning! I turned in my bike later that afternoon and headed to the Macaroni Grill for dinner. The race meeting followed and took 1.5 hours! Next, I went and sat in the hotel jacuzzi to relax and wind down.

I was able to sleep fairly well between the thunderstorms that occured that night.
Event warmup:

I woke up at 4am by the two alarms I had set. I could hear other people in the hotel getting ready as well. I packed up my nutrition and cooler and headed out. I tried to force myself to eat, but felt extremely nauseated. I managed to shove down a package of peanut butter crackers, a granola bar, gator aid, boost and MDX.

Parking at the event was smooth. Next I was body marked and chipped. After setting up my transition area, I took my wetsuit over to a bench and sat down. They closed transition 45 minutes prior to the start of the race. What were we supposed to do for 45 minutes?

The temperature in the early morning was in the high 50's, with a cool wind out of the northwest that was building in intensity. Storms continued to move out of the area.

I was able to use the porta-potties three times prior to the start. Talk about nerves!
Swim
  • 53m 56s
  • 2500 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

Most people were not ready for the gun. Several had not put on their caps and goggles. Although this was a mass start with about 500 people, there was not much body contact. The fist 1000 yards was into the wind and chop. I stayed in the back. Although I feel very comfortable swimming, and can swim for long periods of time without tiring, I am slow. I tried drafting some, but with the wind and chop, it was difficult to stay on someone's feet. Several times throughout the swim I saw people swimming against the direction of swimmers and others going perpindicular! I knew that navigation would be tough and decided to go 50 yards to the outside of the other swimmers. This allowed me to sight every fourth stroke, and not run into many abberant swimmers. At the half way point (the first bouy), I looked at my watch and found I was going quite slow. I continued to keep with my plan. I often had to point my body and swim in a direction that was not consistent with the line-up of the bouys secondary to the strong winds.

I was happy to get out of the water, but was actually somewhat jealous of the iron distance athletes who made that turn around, and headed out for their second loop.

This was a personal worst for this distance, and I used a wetsuit! The fact that the course was long, and the conditions rough hurt. I seemed to be middle of the pack for my age group however.
What would you do differently?:

More open water experience in windy, cold conditions.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

I forgot to drink my second bottle of boost, and paid for it later on the bike. I took some pictures of fellow athletes getting ready. I wanted to remember this!

Put the drink into my bike shoes so as not to forget!
Bike
  • 3h 11m 43s
  • 57 miles
  • 17.84 mile/hr
Comments:

By the time I got out of the water, the sun was fully up, and the clouds were gone. The temperature began to rise, and I was not chilly. I left all of my rain and warm clothes in transition. By this point, however, the wind was approaching 20mph out of the northwest. If the wind was going to blow this hard, I was glad it was headwinds for the first half and tailwinds for the second half.

The bike portion of the race tends to be my strength. But the head winds and forgetfullness of my nutrtion in transition started to get to my quads by the half way point. Many peolpe had made the turn around and were zipping past me in the other direction. My bike computer decided not to work the entire time. Everytime I crested a hill, I expected to see the turn around. This went on for about 20 minutes. Just mentally exhausting!

At the turn around, I got off my bike, handed it to a volunteer who filled my bottles, and I went to the bathroom.

Getting back on that bike was pure HEAVEN!! The tailwind just pushed me up the hills. I rested by legs and mostly spinned for the rest of the course.

Once we were close to the lake, we again had to make a short jaunt north (into the wind), to get around the lake. My quads protested loudly. At this point, the first iron distance athlete passed me on his bike and made the turn around back into the wind to make his second loop. Unlike the swim, I was not jealous at all for these guys. I mentally wondered if I would ever have what it takes to be able to turn my bike around and do another 57 miles.

Remember my nutrition in transition. Bring extra salt tabs and gels on the bike to commesurate with conditions.
Transition 2
  • 03m 22s
Comments:

I had to move someone else's bike. They were racked in the wrong spot. I was encouraged that I was not the last one into transition.

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 19m 57s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

This was the area that I bombed in Florida. My only goal here was to run most of the time. I started out feeling really good. I kept my pace at a 10 minute mile and tried to encourage slower runners to run with me. I used the bathroom on mile 4 and walked most of the aid stations. By mile 5, both sciatic nerves geban giving me trouble. I took two ibuprofen. By mile 6.5, I felt really good, and I felt that I really would run the whole race. By mile 12, most people were walking. My quads began cramping again, and I thought about walking. However, I knew I would be disappointed by anything less than my full best, so I ran on. I had enough energy to sprint the last 100 yards, and hold up my arms for a picture at the finish line.

Nothing! Things went as well or better than I expected here.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked, sat dwon and watched some others finish. I went back to the hotel, got something to eat and took a long hot bath. Then I went back to the race site to watch and cheer the iron distance athletes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training time, and wind. But honestly, I finished 20 minutes faster than Florida 70.3, and 6.5 hours was my goal for this race. So I am happy and can live without the "what if's."

Event comments:

This was a well organized and run race for this distance and the small number of competitors. I will definetly be back!

Last updated: 2006-06-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:53:56 | 2500 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/13
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: half john- ironman
Course: Triangle course. Counter-clockwise. First buoy was about 200 yards out from shore where the official beginning of the 1.2 miles began. However, this was a beach start, so several hundred yards were added to the length of the swim course.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:11:43 | 57 miles | 17.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/13
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: One loop course on mostly country, rolling hills, pot holed roads. Traffic was blocked off in town, but many cars and semi's needed to be avoided on the country roads. Course was long due to the race director not wanting the turn around in the middle of a hill.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:19:57 | 13.1 miles | 10m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/13
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, scenic, twisty course around the lake, then back. Aid stations every mile were well stocked.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-28 7:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Half Redman

2006-09-28 7:22 PM
in reply to: #555206

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Half Redman

Nice job!

Funny... I did my first 1/2 IM in June and finished in 6:31:49 with a goal a 6:30.

2006-09-29 1:52 PM
in reply to: #555206

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Half Redman

Congratulations!!!  You did great pushing through the wind, muscle cramps and nutrition mistake.  Some would just give up, you hung in there and endured the pain.  Way to go!

I did the full and it was great to have so many of you who finished earlier stick around and cheer us on so late at night.  Redman was a great event.  I was so impressed with the volunteers and course logistics.  However I do wish they would re-pave the roads.  It felt like I was riding a jack-hammer for 7 hours.  Ouch!

Great job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Half Redman Rss Feed