General Discussion Race Reports! » My First TRI: Falmouth Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

My First TRI: Falmouth Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Falmouth, MA
United States
Time Out!
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 43m 23s
Overall Rank = 496/508
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I was extremely nervous, since I had not completed my training schedule. I had trained a lot in the gym but barely at all outside. I was afraid when I learned the bike route was 9 miles (I had it in my head and had trained for 6 miles). My friend freaked me out and told me not to ride a mountain bike, so I got a used road bike the week of the race - I was petrified I would fall over trying to get clipped in, having never road a road bike in my life before last week... I know I am crazy. I went down the evening before and drove the route - oh my - made me even more nervous but I am glad I did it. Lots of winding hills, big hills, narrow roads with cars... Thanks to everyone here at beginnertriathlete.com who responded to my Freaking Out Last Minute questions post. Your support really made me believe I could do it!
Event warmup:

Got up at 4 am because I didn't want to have to park in the faraway lot... we got there and we were the 2nd car in the close lot, so we were definitely early enough!!! I got my bike out and road it around for more practice. My husband did this triathlon too (his first also) so we walked our bikes down to the registration area together. I was glad I had registered the evening before, so I had all my stuff. I racked my bike and got the end spot because I was the first one on the rack which made me happy (easier to find my bike). I was surprised that the bulk of the participants didn't show up until much later. I walked down to the water with my hubby and looked at the chop. I was very nervous and went to bathroom 3 times. I met Ellen (trimom) by chance and she was so supportive to both my husband and I. Everyone at this race, the staff and the participants, were so supportive I would recommend this race to beginners (but definitely train hard and practice swimming in the ocean and pratice biking on hills a LOT).
Swim
  • 15m 14s
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Hmm I am not sure what was harder - the swim and bike of this course - or giving birth??? !!!!! I had the same feeling during the swim of this course that I did while giving birth - I cannot do this - I am going to die - I cannot do this - I am going to die... although here to look around and see so many otherss swimming like their life dependent on it at least I had a lot of company. Lots of people doing the backstroke or just stopping and looking scared. I heard 7 people dropped out during the swim part. Lots were taking breaks on the lifeguards board.
What would you do differently?:

Don't stop just keep moving forward. Don't try the backstroke. Practice more in the ocean before the race.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I am just so happy I didn't fall over when trying to get on my bike. I took my time I was still recovering and could barely breathe after the swim it had really knocked me out much more than I expected. Itook my time in the transition as I had no delusions that I might actually compete in this race...

practice riding my bike more, practice mounting/dismounting.
Bike
  • 48m 50s
  • 9 miles
  • 11.06 mile/hr
Comments:

I almost drove off the road trying to get my water bottle out while riding. I definitely need more practice with a road bike, but I felt accomplished that I didn't fall and didn't stop and made it up all of the hills.

Practice hills, practice with my new bike, get a road bike early in my training and practice outside not in the gym, maybe take some spinning classes.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I don't really remember this part as my body was starting to go numb by this point but I was thrilled to have completed the bike and was going to go easy on the run part so I could finish the race.

go faster, be more focused and try to do my best even though I wasn't going to win any prized.
Run
  • 39m 18s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I walked about half and slowly jogged about half. I could barely feel my legs at this point and had some cramps. I was very beat. I did jog with a couple nice ladies that were very encouraging.

Practice running outside more.
Post race
Warm down:

ate lots of bagels, ice cream, drank more gatorade than ever in my life. waited to cheer my husband on when he finished.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

focus on doing my best - my goal was to finish and I did finish but I wish I had pushed myself a little more. However, I am still happy to have completed a triathlon! WOO HOO!

Last updated: 2004-07-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:14 | 00 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/508
Performance: Bad
1/3 mile swim, very choppy, swallowed a lot of water, just kept telling myself - keep moving your arms you will get there, just keep moving forward. tried doing the backstroke for a bit like others and just swallowed a lot more water. was so happy when I could stand up again. couldnt quite run from swim to transition, more like a wobble... I was so happy I wore a wetsuit, the water wasn't too cold, but the flotation kept me going...
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: swim out to a buoy, turn left, turn left to make a rectangle. I just kept going towards those buoys like my life depended on it.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:48:50 | 09 miles | 11.06 mile/hr
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Oh my goodness. I thought the hills were never going to end. It seemed like it was all uphill with almost no downhills - how is that possible? The people passing me (lots of them) were really super nice and supportive. I was a bit worried when my husband didn't pass me (he started 6 minutes behind me) but it turned out riding a mountain bike killed his time... I was trying hard to complete it and I did so I was happy. I knew if I could finish the bike part I could finish the race. My butt hurt and my back hurt by the end.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:39:18 | 03.1 miles | 12m 41s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Very flat, paved, nice running path.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2004-07-26 1:19 PM

New user
Boston area
Subject: My First TRI: Falmouth Sprint Triathlon

2004-07-26 1:32 PM
in reply to: #40455

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: My First TRI: Falmouth Sprint Triathlon
Congratulations on your race!! Great job!

Kelly
2004-07-26 2:38 PM

Fantastic job! That's what the first tri is all about ..... letting you think about how you can improve for the nest one. It sounds to me like you did everything perfedtly right for your first race. Way to go.
2004-07-26 2:43 PM

Regular
Noblesville, IN
Excellent work. I really enjoyed reading this. Fealt like I was there.

2004-07-26 2:43 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
Yeah deb!!!!!!!!
What a great report and a great race. The most important thing for the first race is to finish and enjoy the day. Your time is respectable, you should be walking on air today, wear the t-shirt everwhere and enjoy talking about the day!!!
I had a great time meeting you before and after the race, you looked great after-a great big smile. I didn't know this was you first race, congrats!!
Glen
2004-07-26 2:57 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Deb, it was a great day for you and your husband I'm so glad we got to meet! You should be very proud of yourself today and for a long time to come.

Hey.....I think the Sharon race still has openings You know you're hooked now!

2004-07-27 2:00 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Great job!  The comparison to childbirth was too funny! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » My First TRI: Falmouth Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed