General Discussion Race Reports! » Atomic Man Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Atomic Man Half Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Vonore, Tennessee
United States
Race Day Events
67F / 19C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 49m 37s
Overall Rank = 88/173
Age Group = 30-35
Age Group Rank = 14/21
Pre-race routine:

Race at 8. Got up at 6:15. Ate some oatmeal, a banana and yogurt, dropped the kids off at the pool and headed for Transition
Event warmup:

Rode about a mile, and swam 200m or so

The downpour started just as I got in the water
Swim
  • 32m 18s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

I kept drifting to the right for some reason. I had planned on a nice easy swim, which I did. The buoys had been blown around and weren't in a straight line. After the first buoy, I inadvertantly started swimming towards one of the buoys on hte way back in, adn probably went an extra 50 yards or so on 2 different occasions. Once I made the turn, I did a little better with navigation, but not a whole lot better. My overall time was still good for me, but I felt I could have easily been 1-2 minutes faster
What would you do differently?:

Better navigation
Transition 1
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

Good transition. Got out of the suit with no real issues. Could have gone faster but was very comfortable and efficient.

nothing
Bike
  • 3h 08m 45s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.80 mile/hr
Comments:

The first lap was average. It was still pouring during most of the first lap. I was very cautious on the hills, espcecially going downhill
secause of all the puddles. I still finished the first lap in 1:28 and felt very good.
The second lap started off great. It stopped raining, I was going much faster and felt great. Hit the 10 mile turnaround almost 3 minutes ahead of pace from the first lap. I noticed then that my fromt tire was a little low. Right after the 43mile mark, it was too low to continue. I debated about just inflating it and trying to ride it out or just changing the whole thing. I tried the temporary fix which only lasted about 3 miles and it was too low to continue.
I jump off, had a bit if a hard time getting the tire off, but finally did, get the new tube in, replace the tire, go to inflate it, and my "spare" CO2 cartridge is a dud. NOTHING in it. Over 10 miles to go and I'm done. I start walking the bike back home. Everyone that passes just looks, noone offers help. After almost 12 minutes of walking, a guy finally offers up a new cartridge. I inflate the tire, get back on, and ride like hell. I finished the ride very strong, passed about 25 people the last 10 miles and get back ti transition ready to run, but very pissed off. I lost at least 20 minutes of sitting on my ass changing the tire and another 10 walking. On the other hand, that was a nice break for my legs
Nutrition on the bike was great. I never felt really tired. I had a Cliff Bar 30 minutes into the ride, Cliff blocks at 1:15 and 1:45, another Cliff Bar at 2:25 . I drank almost an entire bottle every 45 minutes. I did have to pee during my second tire change, though

Check spare equipment better!! I felt my pace was good though. I was fresh at the start of the run. I could have pushed it more definitely, but without the mechanical failures, I probably would have been in around 2:50.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

I was so pissed off about the flats I didn't care. Could have gone faster but at that point I didn't care
Run
  • 2h 00m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off great. Was taking it easy. Had to pee right out of transition. Over the first 5-6 miles was thinking, maybe an Ironman wouldn't be so bad. I passed probably 25 people on the first loop. I didn't take a walking break til just after the 7 mile mark. I started getting tired about mile 8 which was in the middle of an open flat 2 mile long stretch between warehouses. No people, scenery, or anything, other than the wind. Mile 10 was a gravel trail around another warehouse, that I felt unsteady on after all the rain. 11-12 were not fun coming back home. The only 3 people that passed me during the entire run were in the last 3 miles. The last mile hurt, but I knew I was so close and I was able to push through it.

Maybe 1 more gel, but I felt really good through, then I just hit the wall
Post race
Warm down:

walked around the transition area, talked to Chris Stark

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mechanical difficulties obviously. The last half of the run got me

Event comments:

The organization of the race and the volunteers were great. The weather was terrible, but they made sure everyone was safe and had a good time and were well cared for. THe course itself is very tough with all hte hills.
Overall, I was pleased with myself. The swim definitely could have been better, but I still had a good time. THe flats sucked on the bike but, without those, I think I would've done 2:50 easily, maybe better. The run was slower than I wanted and expected, but all things considered, not too bad.
I would love to do another 1/2 iron on a flat course and see what I could do 5:15 is easily reachable

Last updated: 2006-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:18 | 2112 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/21
Overall: 38/173
Performance: Below average
Suit: wetsuit
Course: rectangular course, however, the storm had moved the buoys around, so it wasn't a very straight course
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:39
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:08:45 | 56 miles | 17.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/21
Overall: 121/173
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back loop x 2. Continuously up and down. NO flat spots whatsoever. Only 2 large hills, neither of which was terrible, but I spent a lot of time in the small chainring.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:00.4:29 | 13.1 miles | 09m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/21
Overall: 86/173
Course: 2 loops. The first was very hilly through a golf course community, the second flat and open through an industrial park
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-29 5:13 AM

Subject: Atomic Man Half Iron Distance Triathlon

2006-09-29 7:33 AM
in reply to: #555383

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois
Subject: RE: Atomic Man Half Iron Distance Triathlon
Nice race man.  Way to gut through the equipment difficulties.  I know they can be incredibly frustrating!
2006-09-29 11:38 AM

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Great job! You turned in a really good time even with the difficulties. Awesome!
2006-09-29 1:05 PM

User image

Veteran
It was definitely a rough day, I was there too. I probably saw 6-7 people with mechanical problems throughout the bike leg. I think the combination of the weather and rough shoulder didn't help.

And mile 10 of the run was awful. I have to believe that they could have found another mile of pavement somewhere. Even so, it was a much better course than last year's Atomic Man. I'll be back again next year.
2006-09-30 6:05 PM

, Alabama

That was a great performance.  Too bad about the mechanicals on the bike.  You sounded like you were going so well despite the weather. 

Sharon

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Atomic Man Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed