General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf Cramps Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-26 2:13 PM

Subject: Calf Cramps
I did my second sprint tri this weekend. In both races my right calf has cramped up after getting off the bike and onto the run. I have been able to run through it but wondering if anyone has any ideas how to stop it. For the first race I drank water before and Gatorade during. I took a GU before the race and during T2. So for this one I changed to Gatorade for before and during with some water. I Gu'd before and then moved the second up to about 2/3rds of the way through the bike, thinking it would give the GU time to get into my muscle tissue and relieve the cramping before it happened. Any suggestions for my next one in a little over a month.

2004-07-26 3:36 PM
in reply to: #40482

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Calf Cramps
Dude, if you're doing a sprint, that second GU can't get out of your stomach much less down to your calf. ;-) Unless you're taking three hours to finish, the Gu is superfluous, you've got enough fuel (glycogen) stored in your muscle cells to last you a couple of hours.

Regarding your calf cramp, to you practice run/bike bricks so that your wheels are used to the transition? Do you stretch enough during the week?
2004-07-26 3:45 PM
in reply to: #40523

Yes I do run bricks but maybe not often enough. I do need to stretch more often. The GU maybe ends up being more psychological I guess.
2004-07-26 4:30 PM

User image

Elite
San Diego
Once again I agree with Bear. The Gu on a short race isn't necessary.
You might want to look at your pedal stroke as well. Are you pointing / flexing your foot when you pedal?
I know some people have problems later in some long runs becasue they (myself included) don't run that fast therefore are not that effecient and get calf cramps from the fact that we aren't rolling our feet when we run. Doing the Kona shuffle But it sounds like your problems are early in the run.
I know this seems to be the common response, but you should look into getting a good bike fitting. I think that is the most important thing in tris because a majority of the race is spent on your bike.
Hope that helps
Tom
2004-07-26 4:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Midcoast, Maine
Lee, I had the same problem on my last triathlon, I got of the bike and my left calf cramped so severly that my run was reduced to a walk/run. I thought it may had been from lack of hydration during the bike but I don't know, I stretched well and had done a mock tri as well as bricks leading to the race. The cramp lightened up but could still be felt for a few days afterward. I'd like to avoid that in the future, it killed my running time
2004-07-26 6:55 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Lee, I had the same problem on my first Tri. Here's a thought. Were you wearing a wetsuit? I was and given that I have pretty large calves, the squeezing on them from the wetsuit seems to be a likely culprit. I started feeling twinges in my calves halfway through the bike and then nearly died the first 1/2 mile of the run. My last race I did not wear a wetsuit and had zero problems. In fact, I felt better in the race than I usually do in my bricks. The folks at the shop where I get a lot of my Tri gear are pretty experienced and they thought that the wetsuit squeeze may have had a lot to do with it. Sounds like you're hydrated, fueled, and trained like you should be so that may be your answer too. Good luck and I hope it doesn't happen again...it's totally miserable when it does.

2004-07-26 6:57 PM

It might have been my stroke, I need to keep that in mind. I had a fit done, but maybe something changed. I thought it was hydration as well that is why I drank Gatorade instead of water and wore my hydration pack. Thanks for the responses and I will let you know on the next one. Keep letting me know ideas. Thank you!!
2004-07-26 6:59 PM

I didn't wear a wet suit. It was a pool swim, but I wonder if I need to work on my swim kick some more and build that muscle. I have done the bricks and all, but I have never done all three at the same time. I wonder if the swim kick is doing it.
2004-07-26 9:41 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

Arrgh, that happens to me too.  It is so painful!! I found that practicing more made it happen less.

Jen

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf Cramps Rss Feed