Subaru Triathlon Series
18C / 64F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 17m 12s
Overall Rank = 147/487
Age Group = M19-
Age Group Rank = 9/12
Pre-race routine:

Friday night: PASTA! My asolute favourite pre-race routine. I ate 2 rather large plates of Angel hair in a tomato meat sauce. Oh man that was a lot of food! Just had to pack my bag 5 times and I was good to go!

Saturday Morning: Up at 5 o'clock to be out the door by 6. But the bike in the truck, double checked my bag, triple checked my bag (I'm anal like that). Then left. Its been a while since I was down this way. I've only been to NOTL (Niagra-on-the-lake) once before, and I couldn't remember it. SO we got to the race site (right across the street from Trish Romance's house [famous artist]) and went to transition. I then picked up my race kit (numero 16) got bodymarked and got changed. Then I went over to find Mitch (the RD) for my Volunteer hours slip from last race. Got that then set up transition.
Event warmup:

Well, this consisted of a lot of running around. I only took one gel (30mins prior) as I can no longer stand the taste of tri-berry Gu. But my 'straps had gone to Tim Horton's and weren't back yet. Damn what do I do with my camera? I had it in my transition bag and they needed it. So I ran over to the truck and tossed it in there hoping they would go there first. I made it to the start line with 5 minutes to spare. I sorta jogged on the spot, streched, and met Geoff (geoffs) and wished him luck. This guy is fast lemme tell ya...
Run
  • 17m 49s
  • 4 kms
  • 04m 27s  min/km
Comments:

EEEERRRRR!!!!! I started out with a nice little blast to maintain my position until I settled into a pace I wanted to maintain. Nice run though one small hill right at the turnaround. I was getting passed a bit at the beginning but once I was in the zone I could keep my position.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, I ended up finishing faster than I expected. So all and all I was pleased.
Transition 1
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Damn. I come into T1 and I take off my shoes. Remember the thread where I asked if I should glue my insoles to the shoe? Well, I did that, and I practiced like that. AND ONE STILL CAME OUT!!! ARG! So I put it back in, I didn't want to do that off the bike. It had to of added at least 20 seconds to my time. damn.

Uh, see above.
Bike
  • 38m 55s
  • 23 kms
  • 35.46 km/hr
Comments:

Well, the beginning of the course was pretty technical. Once were were out of town it was clear sailing. The out portion of the lollipop was a false flat. A slight uphill that looked flat. Fair enough, but I noticed a "slight" headwind. And my hip flexors were tight for no reason. that kept my Av. around 31-32km/h. Slower than was planning on. On the way out I passed this one vinyard and I heard what sounded like a gunshot! Ta-Koo! I knew it was a way of scaring off birds and whatnot, but deep down you didn't feel right. Everyone withinabout 100ft of me all stood up and booked it out of there :).On the other hand, the "back" portion was on a slight downhill, with a tailwind. This brought my Av. up to 41-42km/h. So this it what it feels like to go "Elite" fast. Heh. It started to spit a little bit coming into T2 but I was pleased with the ride.

Stretch my HF's pre-race.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

Heh, oops. Coming up to the bike rack I kicked my shoe and it poped off my pedal. So I racked, grabed my shoe then proceded to put on my shoes and leave.

Not kick my shoe.
Run
  • 18m 35s
  • 4 kms
  • 04m 39s  min/km
Comments:

I was keeping what I thought was a similar pace to the first run, but it wasn't. Duh. Again, I just maintained and went with it. I saw this old dude near the front which was pretty inspiring. When I say old I mean in the 60-64AG and by front I mean about 5th place. Wow. I got passed my the same guy that beat me out in Belwood. The guy in my AG, my hometown, who beat me my a split second in Belwood. Grrr.

Run lots.
Post race
Warm down:

CALORIES! I thought I was going to get the "feeling" post race again (which I did) so I wanted to consume as many calories for the next day as possible before my stomach said GFY. Then I got into some warm clothes (I was frezzing while everyone else was in t-shirts) and whated the 1km Kids Fun Run. Scored a nice series hat from the draw prizes then slept on the way home in the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much, other than some flukes.

Event comments:

Nice course. Great way to end off a season.

Last updated: 2006-09-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:49 | 04 kms | 04m 27s  min/km
Age Group: 12/12
Overall: 239/487
Performance: Good
1 - 4:13 HR:177 2 - 4:26 HR:181 3 - 4:48 HR:182 4 - 4:20 HR:181
Course: Out and back along the Niagra River.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:03
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:38:55 | 23 kms | 35.46 km/hr
Age Group: 5/12
Overall: 90/487
Max: 186 Av:176
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Lollipop
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:18:35 | 04 kms | 04m 39s  min/km
Age Group: 11/12
Overall: 199/487
1 - 4:47 HR:174 2 - 4:27 HR:176 3 - 4:46 HR:180 4 -
Course: Same course as the first run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-29 7:40 PM

Master
Subject: NOTL Duathlon
Album may be viewed HERE. Thank you for your last 5 minutes.

Edited by jknapman 2006-09-29 7:42 PM

2006-10-01 5:20 PM
in reply to: #556209

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Subject: RE: NOTL Duathlon
What a great way to end the year!  You've learned so much!  Now you can settle in for some R&R, base training, and a game plan for picking off that guy who keeps passing you at the end of the race.  What's his deal?  CONGRATS, Jordan!
2006-10-01 6:40 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Oh My you are so FAST!!!  Marty must be very Proud
2006-10-02 3:03 PM

Master

Thanks!

This has been my second race where I've come (oh so) close to beating this guy. Oddly enough, he was just crowned overall series points champion for our AG. I'll get him next year!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » NOTL Duathlon Rss Feed