USMC SemperFit
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 21m 31s
Overall Rank = 867/973
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 71/84
Pre-race routine:

Did the usual "day before the race" breakfast out, followed by a Benadryl induced nap to clear out one of my ears. (Tried to just gut it out and see if it would clear on it's own, but no luck.) Kept fingers crossed that my ears & sinuses would cooperate Saturday morning with the drop in the temps. Pasta for dinner, multiple alarm clocks set, and I actually crashed out early for once, only to wake up at 11PM and have it take forever to get back to sleep.

Up at 5:30, feed the cats, let the dog out, have some cheese toast, milk & coffee. Omigod, the dog is still out - open door, yell for dog who walks up behind me. No, I don't remember letting him back in. I am so not a morning person. Call local Starbucks to see if they'll be open when I leave the house. And the angels sang and the barista said, "Yes, we're open already."

Got to Quantico and got my packet. #222. Sounds lucky and fast to me. Briefly thought, "wouldn't it be funny to do 2:22?" giggle, snort. Found Chippy before the start and we caught up on things since it seems to have been forever since we had a chance to talk.

Event warmup:

Walk from the car & some stretching.
Run
  • 2h 21m 31s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Note: We're assuming this was tracked by gun time, as neither of us saw a timing mat at the start. Time is Garmin + 55 secs it was off from gun time + a 1:12 adjustment they are making. Will update when final numbers are posted. Official numbers are in.

I'd had a few minor nerves leading up to the race - I'd already decided I was going to go out and really see what I could do, even though it was supposed to be a training run for MCM. I'd trained for it, but still couldn't help but think, "It's been six months since I did a half marathon race. What if I've forgotten how?"

We got ourselves at the start, off to the side and just waited for the horde to go through and then stepped in and took off.

First couple miles Chippy & I passed each other back and forth while getting settled into our respective paces. Every pass resulted in a butt smacking, I am sure much to the enjoyment of the gentlemen around us at the time. By the third mile, we'd gone our separate ways, and I'd gotten into a good groove of "run to the mile marker, walk for a minute" - at this point, I was consistently hitting sub 11's on the miles. Didn't worry about slowing it down, I'd found my comfortable pace, and figured if it started to get uncomfortable, I'd up the walk at the mile markers to 1:30. Hey, only 5 water stops to go!

Mile 4, I chatted with a nice gal that was doing her first half marathon - even had a t-shirt that said "First Timer" - she was doing terrific and I made a point of letting her know this. Passed her a little bit down the road and she was talking to another gentleman who was also a first timer - I overheard him say, "This is hard" and thought to myself in the back of my head, "Actually, it's really not hard." It wasn't a thought directed at him, but more to myself - I felt very good so far.

Mile 5, I kinda just zoned out for a while. Thought about what wine I would open up tonight, when the weather would be cold enough for chicken chili, lots of random things just floating through my head and I just let it happen, cause sometimes it's easier than thinking about the fact that you're running 13.1 miles. :)

Hit mile 6 at 63 minutes. Struggled with the math to figure out where things could shake out in the end (sad but true, I really need a piece of paper and a pencil to do these things) and realized that I was very, VERY on track to beat my time from the Shamrock half this past March. I know they're different courses and different conditions, so it's sort of comparing apples to oranges, but I so wanted to see some improvement. Also realized that there was at least a possibility that I could break 2:30 for the entire run. Let me tell you, THAT was a weird thing to contemplate. My stomach decided to keep my head from getting overenthused about it and briefly seized up around 6.5 miles. I took about a 10 second break at the guard rail wondering if I was going to hurl or not. Fortunately, the little break was all I needed and I was back off and running again.

I honestly don't remember a thing from mile 7. I'm sure it was quite lovely, but obviously very uneventful.

Mile 8 was the evil mile. Where the hills are. Fortunately, the hills start right after the water stop, so I stuck with my "walk the minute from the mile marker" and was able to walk a bit of the first one. Then back to running to the double hill. I'd looked at my race report from the 15K to see what I'd done on these, and I'd run the first of the double, walked the flat and then ran the second hill - worked last time, so I did it again this time. Walking the flat, even though it was kinda short, made such a difference on that second hill. This was where knowing the course came in VERY handy. Fortunately, these were the only uphills of any real consequence on the route, and I knew there was a downhill right after them.

Mile 9 was a ton easier, as it had that wonderful downhill. And let me tell you, I REALLY enjoyed it. No trying to hold back, just stretched out my legs as far as they would go and enjoy the magic of gravity. It felt sooooooooooo good. Chatted with another gentleman about how it was so nice to go downhill instead of uphill. Turns out he's doing MCM as well, and will be doing the Army 10 next weekend, and did a half marathon last weekend as well. (Aaron, do you have a long lost older brother?)

I hit mile 10 at 1:47. Did some more math... First, this was a 10 mile PR for me. Woohoo!! Second, I had 43 minutes to travel 3.1 miles and be at 2:30 for the entire course. WOW. Unless something went horribly wrong, not only would I beat my time from Shamrock, I would actually break 2:30, something I had not even contemplated possible coming into this race.

When I hit mile 11, I still had over a half an hour to get 2.1 miles in and beat 2:30. However, I was also starting to feel the effects of making friends with my fast today. I didn't feel bad, but I knew I had to be careful or I'd totally blow up. Decided to take the 1 minute walk breaks at the mile and half mile points. Very good call. It really didn't slow me down much and I still felt very in control of things and felt pretty darn good.

Hit mile 12 right around the 2:10 point. Oh. My. God. It looks like I am actually going to break 2:30 for the day. It's just a mile, and anyone can do a mile. Hopefully in under 20 minutes. :) I still kept my pace as steady as I could, walked the minute at the 12.5 mile point and ran around the corner into the stadium.

The finish was great - hang a right, go down the service road a bit, hang a left and there is the 13 mile point - then you make a hard right turn and go straight downhill and take the short side of the track to the chute. Well, all bets were off at that point. I went flying down the hill and got as much momentum as I could possibly muster at that point, went hauling around the track (briefly noticing that I didn't seem to be able to really feel my legs) and into the straightaway and yelled "KILL! KILL! KILL!" as I came into the chute. (That was for you, Gullah.)

Stumbled around until I could locate an empty bench to sit on, praying that I won't throw up and crying cause I BROKE 2:30! A volunteer came over and asked if I was OK, all I could choke out was, "I broke 2:30!!" and she said, "You sure did!" Stumbled out and grabbed some water and started looking for Chippy.

Couldn't find her, and got a little worried that something had happend cause her foot had been bothering her a bit. Hoped that maybe we'd just gotten our wires crossed and she was at her car instead of bag check, so I headed over that way - found her coming back the other direction. Smart woman had gone and gotten some dry clothes. Waved at her across the street and she yelled,
"I was coming back for you, really!"
"I did 2:21!" (Wasn't thinking about the 1:12 adjustment thing to the gun time they would be making.)
Her chin hit the ground, "YOU DID WHAT??!?"
"I KNOW!!!!!!!!!"
What would you do differently?:

Blew away my time from Shamrock by 16+ minutes. So, I don't think I'd do anything differently.
Post race
Warm down:

Stumbling around looking for Chippy. Then we went and ate a lot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hmmm, first sub 11 pace for any race longer than 5 miles. I don't know if I *could* have gone faster!

Event comments:

Quantico's race group does an excellent job all the races in the series and this is no exception. None of the water stations ran dry even for those of us at the BOP, the course marshalls were all there through the entire thing and they just did a great job as always.

Last updated: 2005-12-05 12:00 AM
Running
02:21:31 | 13.1 miles | 10m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/84
Overall: 0/973
Performance: Good
Garmin GPS gets wonky down at Quantico, so the splits are off.
Course: Mainly flat, 1 set of hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-09-30 1:21 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: Quantico Half Marathon

2006-09-30 2:44 PM
in reply to: #556477

User image

Master
Colorado
Subject: RE: Quantico Half Marathon
You rocketh.
2006-09-30 3:33 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Nice job Cindy! Way to kick butt! I'll have to dedicate my training walk to you today and see if I can break the 13 min/mile mark (don't hold your breath ) You've come a long way!
2006-09-30 4:06 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-09-30 6:22 PM

Master
Pensacola, Fl

Bunch of crybabies! 

So what was the final decision of the day???    A good Merlot?

2006-09-30 7:48 PM
in reply to: #556612

Elite
Cavu9 - 2006-09-30 7:22 PM

Bunch of crybabies!

So what was the final decision of the day??? A good Merlot?

A lovely Ruche di Castagnole Monferrato.  Very smooth.  :-D

2006-09-30 8:29 PM
in reply to: #556637

Master
Chesapeake, VA
BodyCheck - 2006-09-30 8:48 PM

Bunch of crybabies!

A lovely Ruche di Castagnole Monferrato. Very smooth. :-D

That was my question too!  You earned it!!!! 

Great race - isn't it awesome when it all comes together!   I hope I can hang with you at MCM - you are ready.   

2006-10-01 6:21 AM

Elite
West Chicago, IL
Awesome race ... and race report! Congrats!
2006-10-01 6:42 AM

Champion

Awesome Job. 

Smashing a PR like that is such an energizing feeling.

Did you do the post-race Cracker Barrel with Chippy?

2006-10-01 11:19 AM
in reply to: #556777

Elite
CubeFarmGopher - 2006-10-01 7:42 AM

Awesome Job.

Yup!  We ate a ton and talked a lot about how awesome we were.  

2006-10-01 6:52 PM

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Cindy,

Once again great race and congratulations on all the accomplishments.  As usual, you have the best race reports because something interesting always happens.

Ernie 

2006-10-01 8:44 PM
in reply to: #556637

Expert
McKinney, TX
BodyCheck - 2006-09-30 7:48 PM

Bunch of crybabies!

A lovely Ruche di Castagnole Monferrato.  Very smooth.  :-D

What, no Franzia?   Great job Cindy!!!!

2006-10-02 4:58 AM
in reply to: #556842

Champion
Wisconsin
BodyCheck - 2006-10-01 11:19 AM
CubeFarmGopher - 2006-10-01 7:42 AM

Awesome Job.

Yup! We ate a ton and talked a lot about how awesome we were.

ah, there is not enough time in the day for such conversations! you were smokin'- and how funny that your time matched your race number- there should be prize money for that

2006-10-02 6:07 AM

Veteran
Charlotte
Congratulations on a great race and thanks for the great rr.
2006-10-02 7:09 AM

Runner
Awesome job, kid. Much impressed.
2006-10-02 7:52 AM

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Great race - great report - great strategy - YOU ROCK!

2006-10-02 10:06 AM
in reply to: #557345

Master
Colorado
Very nice
2006-10-03 5:48 AM

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
Out*******standing!! See how nice it is when you stick to a plan. I've got to start remembering that on race day. Super job. Thanks for the "kill". What was the route? Was it around mainside Q or did it go towards Camp Barrett? There's a great loop run at Camp Barrett around to the FBI Acad through the woods and back to CB. If you're not familiar I'm sure Stake can map it out for you. The "yellow brick road" is a great trail run there also. Oh the fond memories.
2006-10-03 6:35 AM

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member
Love the symmetry of race # and race time!
2006-10-03 8:24 AM

Extreme Veteran
Allen
Fan-freakin'-tastic race, Cindy!  Very sweet!
2006-10-03 9:33 AM
in reply to: #558525

Elite

gullahcracker - 2006-10-03 6:48 AM Out*******standing!! See how nice it is when you stick to a plan. I've got to start remembering that on race day. Super job. Thanks for the "kill". What was the route? Was it around mainside Q or did it go towards Camp Barrett? There's a great loop run at Camp Barrett around to the FBI Acad through the woods and back to CB. If you're not familiar I'm sure Stake can map it out for you. The "yellow brick road" is a great trail run there also. Oh the fond memories.

The route was 3.5ish mile loop from the stadium and then picked up the 15K loop course.  It was SO cool to already know the bulk of the route, I felt like I had a huge advantage just knowing where that set of hills is, and it was nice to be able to tell folks "those hills were the bad ones, the rest is OK from here."

http://www.quantico.usmc-mccs.org/PDF/Half_Marathon_Race_Map06.pdf has the course map.

I had such a blast - it's such a great place to run.

2006-10-03 10:47 AM
in reply to: #558745

Master
Colorado

It really is such an awesome place to run -- SO pretty. I didn't want to leave! I hope I have some motivation to run post MCM -- I bet in November it is just awesome, with the leaves changing, etc.

BodyCheck - 2006-10-03 10:33 AM

gullahcracker - 2006-10-03 6:48 AM Out*******standing!! See how nice it is when you stick to a plan. I've got to start remembering that on race day. Super job. Thanks for the "kill". What was the route? Was it around mainside Q or did it go towards Camp Barrett? There's a great loop run at Camp Barrett around to the FBI Acad through the woods and back to CB. If you're not familiar I'm sure Stake can map it out for you. The "yellow brick road" is a great trail run there also. Oh the fond memories.

The route was 3.5ish mile loop from the stadium and then picked up the 15K loop course.  It was SO cool to already know the bulk of the route, I felt like I had a huge advantage just knowing where that set of hills is, and it was nice to be able to tell folks "those hills were the bad ones, the rest is OK from here."

http://www.quantico.usmc-mccs.org/PDF/Half_Marathon_Race_Map06.pdf has the course map.

I had such a blast - it's such a great place to run.

2006-10-03 8:09 PM

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque, NM

Holy crap Cindy - you obliterated your PR!  That's a huge chunk of time.  So proud of you.

Sorry I missed the butt slapping fest ... yes, I can be a cad.  But in my defense, LisaZapato would've enjoyed it as much as me, if not more.

Way to go ... as always, your race reports are really fun to read.  I've done the guard rail meditation on whether I'll be one with the hurl or not.

GREAT JOB!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Quantico Half Marathon Rss Feed