General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer question of a different sort. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-01 12:25 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2006-10-01 12:42 PM
in reply to: #556877

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: Trainer question of a different sort.

I am capable of riding my aero bars in my rollers.  Rather comfy actually.

I own both rollers and a CompuTrainer and the CT is much more useful.  The rollers are awesome for learning to spin well and not move your hips and ride a straight line.  But...it's REALLY hard to move around on them.  You can't really vary a workout.  I find it hard to shift without falling off unless I'm on my roadie and riding in the hoods.  So once I'm going...I'm going...until I fall off.  One time I made it 45 minutes without falling off.  Only problem was that all points of contact (butt and hands) were numb from staying in the exact same position for 45 minutes.  You can't shift your butt in the saddle without falling off.  Make sense?

Hey, you made me want to pull out my rollers tonight!

But to answer your question...my CT is NOT an expensive bike rack.  I use it all the time!  My rollers...well...they are kinda hiding in the closet. 

2006-10-01 12:42 PM

Veteran
Woodbridge, VA
I use mine all the time including the 'on' season.  During the 'on' season there are times either I can't make it out before dark or I want to execute a specific workout (power starts, sprint intervals, etc) which I can do as well or better on the trainer.
2006-10-01 2:52 PM

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI
Last Winter I used by Cycle-ops at least 3 times a week. Became acustomed to watching videos while reading and eventually "warmed" to the experience. Never as good as the open road but it does keep the body conditioned through the cold season.
2006-10-01 9:53 PM

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Well THAT was fun!  I just dragged my rollers out of their moving box and put them back together! Go figure, it was just like...like...riding a bike?  Once you learn how to use them, you never forget!  Fun workout!  Thanks for the nudge!

Oh, and if you don't have hardwood or tile somewhere, you can't use rollers.  I had to remind myself of that tonight as I tried to set them up on the carpet first and that didn't work so well.

2006-10-02 12:25 AM

Coach
Stairway to Seven
is your question [(trainers or rollers)=bike rack] OR [(trainer)=bike rack] OR [(rollers)=bike rack]?

I have a cyclops and I use it regularly durign the winter. It's a nice way to watch a few hours of TV in teh dead of winter. And I know that at Penn State, the dead of winter does exist. Although that never kept me off my mountain bike or cross country skis.

2006-10-02 8:32 AM
in reply to: #557189

Crystal Lake, IL
jldicarlo - 2006-10-01 9:53 PM

Oh, and if you don't have hardwood or tile somewhere, you can't use rollers.  I had to remind myself of that tonight as I tried to set them up on the carpet first and that didn't work so well.

Just throw down a proper size piece of plywood on the carpeting and you're good to go.   I'd put a board under a regular trainer anyway just to protect the carpeting.

2006-10-02 8:44 AM

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
A bike trainer is like any other home exercise equipment, if you are committed to doing it then it will not be a glorified bike rack (and too small to be a clothes rack). 
I have a Taxc Cycloforce (magnetic trainer) and used it all last winter and will be using it again this winter.
Since trainer rides are mentally boring while watching a move or tv (at least to start), I suggest getting a couple Spinerval dvd’s (or equivalents) to give you a structured training program to follow.  This helped A LOT while I was getting used to indoor rides.  Don’t have to do the spinerval workout from that start, you can ease into them as you get better on the trainer.
2006-10-02 9:30 AM

Veteran
San Antonio, TX
I have a fairly inexpensive fluid trainer from Performance and use it at least 3 times a week during the winter and even during the warm season if the weather is bad or I don't feel like braving the dark.

I find that I don't really like just watching tv while I'm on the trainer (bores me to death), but I do really like using the spinerval dvds. I have several of them to get some variety.
2006-10-02 10:10 AM

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Love my trainer! It is often the only time I can ride with work and 3 kids. I highly recommend the Spinervals DVDs.
2006-10-02 3:55 PM

Extreme Veteran
Ohio

I have to drive to ride my bike (roads around my house are busy), so during the week I like to ride my trainer-and alot during the winter. I use mine all the time. It was a really good investment. Sometimes, when I don't feel like working out, I'll tell myself to start riding, just for 10 minutes-and it ends up being 45-60....and it's easy because it's downstairs. No driving anywhere or anything. I highly recommend one.

2006-10-02 6:10 PM

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
My trainer has been a rack since about mid-April, I think. But I'll be getting much more use out of it very soon as the weather turns. I have a fairly old Minoura that has a fork stand as well -- I don't know why they stopped doing that.

With that said, however, my next "trainer" purchase will be rollers of a different sort:

http://www.insideride.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id...

I saw these at the Seattle Bike Expo last February, and they seem like just the hybrid I've been looking for. The guy demo-ing them did several out-of-the-saddle sprints, slammed the bike sideways, and just kept on riding. Also said that it's perfect for riding aero. Many purists say "why would you want rollers that negate just what rollers are supposed to teach you?" My reply is "I don't need the rollers to teach me that, I just want a trainer that duplicates real road riding that much better."
2006-10-02 11:47 PM
in reply to: #558279

Norristown, PA
THESE ARE AWSOME!!! Gave these a test ride on my fixed gear bike while there was a big bike race here in Philly. The price is a little steep but I definitly like the feel of them & if there weren't a big wish list of things ahead of it to upgrade I would do it in a minute.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer question of a different sort. Rss Feed