Wilmington YMCA
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 57m 29s
Overall Rank = 16/17
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Went to the race meeting the night before. Picked up race packets. Had a great pasta dinner at Terrazzo Trattoria near Wrightsville. Split a room with NCTriNewbie. Got up at 4:30am to get ready and out to the race course early. Had bagels and peanut butter for breakfast. Snagged some caffeine from the machine. Got parked, transition set up, collected chip, got body marked, planted shoes near swim exit, got on a bus and headed off to the swim start by 6:20am.
Event warmup:

Not much in the way of warmup. Determined that the water was warmer than the air temp, so just hung out in the water until it was time to start. Listened to the RD send the waves off. He announced that there would be a number of racers in professional wrestling-ish costumes and particularly to be on the lookout for Dirty Sanchez because this wasn't a guy you wanted behind you on the course. I can only wonder how many people got that one. *shrug* S'ok ... I needed a laugh at that point. It was also nice that the RD provided plastic bags on which you could write your number and into which you could deposit outerwear used to keep yourself warm until race start. The volunteers ferried our stuff back to the TA for us. Nice!
Swim
  • 31m 27s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 06s / 100 meters
Comments:

Everyone had promised that this race is scheduled for an incoming tide so the current gives you a push once you get across the waterway ... but NO! Not for the year *I* enter ... low tide at 7:08am ... so instead of the 1500m swimming like a 750m as promised, it swam like 1500m. Now, the good news is that I actually swam faster than normal ... which is good. I swam slower than every other relay team swimmer ... which isn't so good. I caught some people from previous waves ... which is good. I had a 10 year old boy from the last wave (14 vs. my 10) swim directly over me ... which is kinda bad ... except he was so light, it was almost like butterfly kisses in its brevity.

There was no panic this time, though. I picked a line and stuck with it. Swam so close to the point I was able to say good morning to the nice folks sitting out on their deck watching the race. I swam crawl about 95% of the time ... just adding some breaststroke in to sight and realign myself. Muscles didn't give me grief and I just changed my breathing frequency if I started to feel like I wasn't getting enough air.
What would you do differently?:

Perhaps a better mantra ... NCTriNewbie and I couldn't get past the "Find a happy place! Find a happy place!" from Finding Nemo ... well, except for the cadenced chant of "Breaststroke, Sidestroke, Backstroke, Doooooooogpaddle".

Oh yeah ... and swim faster. I don't think I pushed as hard as I could have.
Transition 1
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

Since I was doing a relay, all I had to do was get to the TA and exchange the chip. It was a looooooooooooooooong run from swim exit (and the timing mat) to the TA, so I have no idea how our transition time is so short, but I'll take it. I used about 20 seconds putting on my little water aerobic shoes for the run across the parking lot and the street into the TA.

Nothing, really. I remembered to thank the volunteers as I passed them ... smiled for the camera so that the Human Blueberry photos will be as good as possible. I'm happier with the transition than the swim. ;)
Bike
  • 42m 59s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 17.35 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my teammate's leg ... wanted to include her times because without her, we'd have been the slowest all female team instead of the next to slowest!

Nothing ... all I could have done was choose a different partner and that wasn't going to happen! She rocks!
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Relay teams have a distinct advantage in the bike/run transitions ... all we have to do is grab the chip and run. Literally.

Not a thing.
Run
  • 39m 24s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Apparently, I'm not much of a swimmer or a runner ... but I was danged proud of myself anyway. Before July, I'd never done any kind of organized running and I ran most of this 5k. I should have pushed myself harder ... probably could have come in with a 36 minute time and broken the 12 min/mi marker for the race, but I didn't. I have run on my own a couple of times, but it took me awhile to find a good cadence without my running group. My shins bothered me a little at first. I'm thankful that Shaun had coached me to do a little jogging warmup as the wait for my biker to come in gave my muscles plenty of time to cool off. Without that, I'm thinking that I'd have had a much harder time. The volunteers were great, and again, I made sure to thank them at all of the water stations. A couple of the "pro wrestler-ish" racers were along the course near the finish cheering people on ... as were a few of the faster racers ... oh yeah ... that could be just about anyone! ;) I rounded the corner towards the finish ... greeted my ex-bf who showed up after working until 3:30am and then having to drive an hour to get there ... oh yeah, he showed up last week too as the result of a misread of the calendar ... and headed to the finish chute where Laura, my teammate, was waiting to high five and run a few steps with me in celebration of my first run.

Push harder ... run more on the asphalt and less on the cement sidewalks, if possible.
Post race
Warm down:

The one thing I did NOT do was stretch. I won't forget again. :)

Grabbed a recovery drink. Hugged the teammate and ex-bf and thanked them for their support. Headed over to a good cheering place to cheer for NCTriNewbie as she came in ... and hung around to cheer on other finishers. For those of you that hate it ... sorry ... I just can't NOT do it. ;)

Met chris hughes, spot and love2tri ... clapped during the awards for the winners ... had some caffeine and water. The ex-bf hung out as we went to the Holiday Inn Express to shower ... then he bought us all lunch. Too bad he's so much better as an ex than he was as the real thing! Then I drove 2.5 hours home and crashed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overweight, overall lack of stellar fitness, didn't push myself hard enough.

Event comments:

This really is a great race. I'd like to do it again next year ... all by myself! :)

Last updated: 2006-09-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:27 | 1500 meters | 02m 06s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 17/17
Performance: Average
Suit: Just the TriSuit, thank you very much.
Course: Point-to-point swim from the Blockade Runner across the Intracoastal Waterway into the SeaPath Marina.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:12
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:59 | 12.43 miles | 17.35 mile/hr
Overall: 13/17
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:39:24 | 03.11 miles | 12m 40s  min/mile
Overall: 17/17
Performance: Average
Course: A nice little flat loop around Wrightsville.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-10-01 1:32 PM

User image

Elite
West Chicago, IL
Subject: Wilmington YMCA Triathlon

2006-10-01 2:25 PM
in reply to: #556903

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Subject: RE: Wilmington YMCA Triathlon
YOU were awesome. Great RR. And you were worried about the swim...psht... Nice run as well. CONGRATS...on your first. And like many told me, It only gets better from here Look fwd to meeting you on Sat. Hopefully I can pull somewhere near your swim time.
2006-10-01 4:38 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-10-01 4:44 PM

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Congratulations Robyn   Well done!!!  Go get a bike and ride lots!! Really the bike is the best part
2006-10-01 5:15 PM

Veteran
Kinston, NC
great race. had a great time meeting you. Have fun in Pinehurst.
2006-10-01 6:18 PM

Expert
Raleigh, NC
Nice job...you guys have a great attitude! That swim surprised me as well...it would not end. Keep up the hard work when noone is there to cheer you on. See you at Pinehurst.

2006-10-01 6:41 PM

Champion

Excellent job in your race Robin.  Next year you'll be ready to tackle the whole thing yourself.

I still think you should have gone with your "alternate" outfit on the run.  Would have made pictures as valuable as the nude 5k shots of chippy and the gang.

There's never anything wrong with staying to cheer in other racers.  As someone who was BOP last season, it is definitely appreciated.

2006-10-01 7:24 PM

Veteran
Charlotte
Congratulations on a great race! You'll be kickin' it next year all by yourself!!

It was great to meet you and I look forward to seeing you next weekend.

Edited by love2tri 2006-10-01 7:28 PM
2006-10-02 5:54 AM

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Wow, Great JOB!  You know, you probably could have swam a little faster if you weren't chatting with spectators that were sitting out on their decks - LOL!  I love that you had such a great time and hung around to cheer on others.  Congrats on a great finish!
2006-10-02 8:38 AM

Master
Keller Tx
great job!  sounds like you had a lot of fun too!
2006-10-02 8:48 AM

Master
Charlotte, NC

Congrats!!!!  This looks like a cool race from the info I read before hand.  Sorry the tide worked against you, since that's what sounded so interesting.  I never thought of doing a relay until reading your report.  That might be a fun option on occassion.

I'll be out on the circuits with you next season!!!!

2006-10-02 11:37 AM

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Great race! Very nice swim. You have the two toughest segments handled, now go get a bike so you can do the fun part. Nice that the ex-bf showed up to support you (twice).
2006-10-02 11:40 AM

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
You rock!

This race definitely needs to be on your list for next year!

2006-10-02 3:32 PM

Runner
Nice Job!

Always a learning experience, isn't it?
2006-10-02 7:04 PM

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois

Great race girl!

Sounds like you had fun which is the main thing.  Pretty good times too!

Nice work!

2006-10-02 8:05 PM

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
YOU ROCK! I can't tell you enough times how great you did! I hope you took some pictures woman, I want to see this!

CONGRATULATIONS!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wilmington YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed