Wilmington YMCA
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 10s
Overall Rank = 224/561
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 41/96
Pre-race routine:

Stayed with a friend in Wilmington that was also doing the race. Up at 4 as usual to eat something and get everything together. We drove down about 5:15 because the race people kept telling everybody to get to the buses early to get to the swim start.
Event warmup:

mile jog and that was it. Met Chris Hughes and talked for a while at transition and again at swim start. Looked for jkbostic, he wasn't there. (though he seems to have completed the race in 2 hrs and 2 minutes according to the final statistics - neat trick Jeff)
Swim
  • 26m 49s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

good swim. I did not feel that it took as long as it did. got in my rythm and was able to keep it for the most part. minimal bumping. last 200 yards I got whacked in the head by another swimmer during his down stroke. He stopped and I kept going. Not sure if it hurt him or just surprised him.

I was approximately 2 minutes slower than 2 years ago, but 2 years ago there was a heck of a current pulling you in. We swam right at low tide this year so there was not much, if any current. I am right happy with a sub 2min per 100 swim. May explain why my arms are so sore today
What would you do differently?:

nothing really
Transition 1
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

slower transition than 2 years ago, but I think that had to do with the wetsuit. 2 years ago we didn't wear them. Overall fine. There is a long run from the swim to the transition over asphalt which wasn't terribly bad, but grass is a lot more comfortable to run on.

nothing really. I guess learn not to wear socks, but my feet will get so messed up that way, that 5-10 seconds is not that big a deal
Bike
  • 34m 16s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 21.76 mile/hr
Comments:

not a bad ride. my bike computer came up about a half a mile less on the road than 20k, but maybe I'm off. Lot of drafting out there that was not punished, but with 1200+ people on such a short course, it's going to happen.

secure the water bottles better
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

a good 44 seconds slower than 2 years ago, but 2years ago, I had cages and not clips, so I didn't have to change shoes.

nothing
Run
  • 21m 46s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m  min/mile
Comments:

good run. roughly 2 minutes faster than 2 years ago. legs were a little tight, but was able to keep a decent pace (at least it felt like it) Probably could have run harder. I didn't have the throw up/heave feeling that I have when I run really hard and run a 20 minute 5k. I need to get to that point in these races.

run harder. secure water bottles on bike so I don't have to take water on run.
Post race
Warm down:

not much. tried to cheer in my friend and the other BT people. stretched a little. Caught up with Chris Hughes and met NC Tri Newbie and 1Foot the Other. Had a good time visiting with them. Was not able to find NickInNC or Love2Tri. Sorry guys, left the numbers at home and could only remember Chris' and Jeff's (who didn't make it) Lucked into NCTri and 1Foot because they had their tattoos on. Also met Willie, faithfull cheerleader. He was a good sport to put up with the early hours and all of us.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

natural ability. hopefully that will improve as the new training year starts in a few months.

Event comments:

i highly recommend this race. even though the swim is long for a sprint, it isn't so bad. I mean, look at my usual swim times and see what I do in this race.

Last updated: 2006-07-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:49 | 1640 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 60/96
Overall: 368/561
Performance: Good
Suit: yes
Course: point to point swim through inter coastal waterway. very little current.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:48
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:34:16 | 12.43 miles | 21.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 43/96
Overall: 206/561
Wind: None
Course: flat course (its in Wilmington, what did you expect?) Overall good road surface except for Airlee which is in the first mile. There was a killer bump right in front of one of the restaurants there and I lost both water bottles. In three years of racing, I have never lost a water bottle before and in the space of a second, lost both. I think this is the same bump that a friend of mine hit last year and ended up breaking his collar bone.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:46 | 03.11 miles | 06m  min/mile
Age Group: 130/96
Overall: 26/561
Course: loop on sidewalks
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-01 4:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
Subject: Wilmington YMCA Triathlon
As I look at the public race report, the per mile time on the run is missing something. obviously 21:46 is not 6 min per mile. I think that is supposed to be something like 6:57 per mile or there abouts.

Edited by spot 2006-10-01 4:35 PM

2006-10-01 6:22 PM
in reply to: #556960

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
Subject: RE: Wilmington YMCA Triathlon
Great race Dick...it was nice to meet you. I'm sure we'll catch up again next season. Enjoy your off season.
2006-10-01 7:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte
Great race and great run! (6:00 or 6:57 -- either way!!)

Sorry we didn't catch up. Next year we'll be better organized and arrange somewhere to meet.

2006-10-02 9:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Great race!

It was also great to meet you and chat a bit after the race. I forgot to bring everyone's race numbers as well...so the BT Tattoos did the trick!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wilmington YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed