PlayTri
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 50m 6s
Overall Rank = 599/670
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 7/17
Pre-race routine:

BT dinner the night before at Casa de Cajun. Salad, lasagna, cheesecake and awesome conversation. Let's see, who all was here...DerekL, Comet, JeepFleeb, kriley, LukeTX04, dodgersmom, doughboy, jeg95ag, her boyfriend James, camy and his wife Tiffany, and our friends Becca and Guy. In bed for 10:30, up for 5:00. Race site was a mile from the house, so we really could have slept later, but I always rather get there early.
Event warmup:

Transition area was poorly lit, so setting up was kinda tough (which I didn't know would affect me later). Lots of first-timers for this race, I had a girl next to me with a balloon attached to the rack...thanks for the landmark! Sat around and listened to race instructions with the rest of the BT gang and it was time to start!
Swim
  • 20m 59s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

The start was a little quicker than I expected, I was still trying to catch my breath from the cool water. I started out slow, knowing I would not have outstanding speed today. My sighting was so-so at best, since I was breathing every other stroke. I also breathe on my left, which makes right turns pretty bad. About 20 yards from the first turn buoy, the sun came up over the hills on my left, which blinded me every time I breathed until I made the turn.
The sun came back into play after the turn to head back to shore. I don't know how anyone without shaded goggles made it back. The sun was right in your face and so damn bright! I really didn't know I had made it to shore until I was there. I told the volunteers to keep yelling at the swim exit to guide us all out. It was that blinding.
What would you do differently?:

Turn the sun off. Practice bilateral breathing again for next season.
Transition 1
  • 04m 1s
Comments:

Coming out of the water, you had an uphill run about 100 feet, then a break-neck downhill run down a grassy hill, around transition and then in. I ran at first, but let my HR come down a little to get ready for the bike. Even with my rack neighbor's balloon, I still got a little disoriented, but found my bike and started getting gear on. Brushed off grass from my feet, slid on socks, one bike shoe, put foot down....something's not right. Look down and see the toes of my bike shoes pointing out instead of in. Wrong shoe on wrong foot. Nice. Apparently when I set up my transition in the dark, I had them flipped around.
Ran with bike to mount line, got off to the side to avoid mount traffic(learned that from watching Texas Man) and got to speed very quickly. Probably best exit from T1 I've ever had.

Um, go back to the age of 3 and learn how to put my shoes on right?
Bike
  • 43m 42s
  • 12 miles
  • 16.48 mile/hr
Comments:

Good thing I got up to speed coming out of T1, because I sloooooowed down soon after! There was about 50 yards of an uphill, then a turn with a more gradual uphill climb. Not unmanageable, but it's always tough to climb after a 90-degree turn. Most of the course was relatively flat, which was a nice change from my last race. Lots of mountain bikes on the course, so I actually passed people! Yay! There was a minimal headwind heading out, which turned into a awesome tailwind coming in. I know I was averaging 19-20 mph with a few spurts of 25-26 thrown in. Really balanced out the 10 mph on that stupid hill.
I didn't see to many issues with drafting. I was really surprised to see how well the first-timers were keeping to the right. Good thing, because the guys starting coming in and passing us going on their first lap. I really wished more guys would have called out "left", since these guys were passing kinda close. Sometimes I was passing someone and they would pass me at the same time. Just worries me sometimes. I came out of my shoes a little too soon coming into T2, but I didn't want to crash on the downhill while trying to shimmy out my shoes.

Reprogram my brain to want to ride my bike more. Overall, it was a pretty good ride for me.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

2nd place in T2, baby!

Nothing.
Run
  • 39m 37s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Headed out of transition, and realized that we were going uphill...a lot. Of course, you can't walk at the beginning. There's just too many spectators watching. I saw Becca coming in looking like crap. Uh oh. I walked some, but surprisingly enough, the legs felt pretty good. After the first mile, I was feeling great and running a whole lot more than walking. I had passed a girl in my AG at about 1/2 mile and just kept thinking about how I didn't want her to pass me. She never did :) Coming back was downhill, so I ran most of the way back, high-fiving Shannon, John, Luke, DavidB along the way. The finish came up pretty quickly around a corner, so I didn't have a chance to really sprint in, not that I would have had a lot left anyway.

More hill training. Attend run class more than once a week and keep up with the runs between classes too.
Post race
Warm down:

Found Kylie, Aaron, Haley, Becca, Guy and Chris. Took pictures of the guys coming in and talked about how well-run the race was. Looked around to congratulate Jeanne on her first tri, but she was MIA...sorry!
Ate about half of a tabbouleh wrap. It definitely pays to have a race director from Egypt! Yum!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

That whole 3-month taper I've been doing? Yeah, that's it, that's the ticket.

Event comments:

There were a lot of first-timers at this race, so there was a sense of comraderie at this race that I haven't seen in a while. Very well run with what looked like not too many volunteers.
I know I've said I don't want to race anymore, but I think I'll be back next year. Can't really beat a race so close to home. Besides, hanging out with our friends last night and today really makes it all worthwhile. I don't think they'd let me play with them if I stopped racing! :)

Last updated: 2006-08-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:59 | 820 yards | 02m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/17
Overall: 553/670
Performance: Below average
Suit: Sugoi tri top, Desoto tri shorts
Course: Open-water in Stonebridge Lake. After analysis from myself and Shannon (swatson), who is a science teacher, we determined that the swim course was shaped like an upside-down beaker. This race was different from any I had ever done before in that, with the exception of the elite group, the women started before the men. I was in the thrid wave, starting 10 minutes after the first two. You jumped off the end of the dock and started after treading water about 30 seconds. The race was wetsuit-legal, but we had no idea until we got there. I wouldn't have worn mine anyway. Takes too long to take off anyway.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:01
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:42 | 12 miles | 16.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/17
Overall: 571/670
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Two-loop, rectangular course. Right on Virginia Pkwy, right on Ridge, then Eldorado, then Stonebridge. All 4-lane roads with right lane completely blocked off for racers.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:39:37 | 03.11 miles | 12m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/17
Overall: 644/670
Performance: Average
HR was through the roof most of the run.
Course: Gradual uphills going out with 4 total sharp down, then uphills to pass through under-street tunnels. All sidewalk, mostly shaded.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-01 6:07 PM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Subject: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon

2006-10-01 6:09 PM
in reply to: #557011

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon
Great race, baby!  Just think how it would be if we'd actually train sometimes?
2006-10-01 6:20 PM

User image

Regular
So sorry I wasn't able to meet up with you guys afterwards! Thanks so much for all the encouragement and the lasagna! We should meet up to go running sometime since we are so close!
2006-10-01 6:36 PM

User image

Master
Keller Tx

next time i'll paint a big R and L on you shoes in flourescent paint.....that was funny.  Great race today. wish we could've been there.

Thanks for the great meal last night!

2006-10-01 6:53 PM

User image

Expert
Dallas, TX
Great race! Sorry we didn't see you guys afterwards. We found about half the BT crew and lost the other half
2006-10-01 6:55 PM

User image

Master
Sachse
Great race..... I wish I could have turned the sun down a few levels for you guys...I was one of those volunteers that you told to keep yelling. (The big ugly one with a shaved head)...Yelling did seem to help...it also helped me keep racers away from the concrete edge of the boat ramp.

Again..great job...

Kenny

2006-10-01 7:54 PM

User image

Queen BTich
Great job! And no, you won't have as many friends if you stop racing. You can count Aaron as gone! Not me though.
2006-10-01 8:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Carencro, Louisiana
GREAT JOB, SUNSHINE!!!  Sounds like you had a great time.   Congratulations!!!  Laughing 
2006-10-01 8:54 PM

User image

Houston, TX
Great Race! i think everyone was busy kicking a$$ today. where is Mc Kinney anyway?
2006-10-01 9:54 PM
in reply to: #557100

User image

Master
Keller Tx

Hmm..makes me think......

Comet - 2006-10-01 7:54 PM Great job! And no, you won't have as many friends if you stop racing. You can count Aaron as gone! Not me though.

2006-10-01 10:32 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
Yay! Glad you got out there and had a good day. Now you can have a great off season to decide what you really want to do with next year. But either way, what a nice way to spend a Sunday!

2006-10-02 8:57 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Great race Laurie. Muchas gracias for the wonderful dinner and bed to crash. We really appreciate it! You looked like you were having a blast on the run when we passed each other! I am sure you will be back next year. The race is too close to home!
2006-10-02 10:28 AM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

Good job, even though you forgot to mention me in your report...

And that tabbouleh stuff - bleah!

2006-10-02 12:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX
I totally hear you about the sun during the swim! The bilateral breathing and shaded goggles saved my life for sure. Keep on practicing the bilateral breathing in the off-season...I love it!

Also, I too feel you pain about that down hill run after the swim. Next time it snows in Dallas, I definately know where I'm taking my sled!

Great race though! I need to try to meet up with you guys at the next race...my wife and both do about 5 races a year in town.
2006-10-02 12:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coppell
That sun was horrible! I had clear goggles so it was just inhumanly bright. I could hear them yelling from at least a 100 meters out, so thanks for getting them to do that.
2006-10-03 1:31 PM

User image

, Texas

Great race! I was cheering you in on the run, although you probably couldn't see me hiding under one of the trees.

Thanks for the great dinner!! 

2006-10-04 8:57 AM

User image

Houston, TX

Great Race, Laurie! 2nd in T2- that is awesome! (I guess you figured out which shoe was Right and left before putting your running shoes on)

Keep on racing as long as it is fun! (Try a race in Houston and Luke and I can repay the favor- the food and housing may not be as nice, though

2006-10-05 11:41 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Laurie,

Nice to see this race report. You had a very solid race. You were better than MOP and that was with 13 months of hell that you guys have been through. Don't give up on the racing, think about all the free beer!!!
2006-10-05 3:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen
Nice job, Toots!  Especially having been over-tapered a little!  Oh, and I was at dinner the night before, too.  I'm crushed that I was left out of your RR. Cry
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon Rss Feed