General Discussion Race Reports! » 3rd Annual SEE JANE TRI All Women's Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

3rd Annual SEE JANE TRI All Women's Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pleasanton, California
United States
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 25m 22s
Overall Rank = 284/598
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Paulette, Diana and I drove down there and arrived just a bit before 7:00. We had to go get our bibs and get our bodies marked. Then we set up the transition. I put my bike on the end again - I like being on the end, it's easier to find everything. I was worried about what to wear. Decided on the sleeveless shirt for the bike, but I should have gone with the long sleeves. OH well. Wore Matt's Farmer John wetsuit.
Event warmup:

Got in the water a bit before 8:00, but didn't swim around enough. Should have tried taking a few more strokes but I was cold and afraid of getting in and then not wanting to get out. Forgot to stretch. Oops! Start seemed to come quickly (maybe because they actually started almost on time as opposed to my last tri which was 30 minutes late).
Swim
  • 12m 28s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

I don't really know what happened, but I started the swim off really poorly. I got a bit freaked out for some reason, then I was having a hard time breathing and kept swallowing water. I had to do a few breast strokes in the beginning just to calm myself down. Then I had to do some major self-talking to say, "You can do this. You have done this before. Just swim. It's no big deal. Why are you freaking yourself out? Just calm down and swim." Eventually, after I rounded the first buoy, I was better. The rest of the swim was better but I kept crashing into people. I was definitely slow though. At the end, there was a ton of seaweed and I got a couple mouthfulls. The last 50 yards or so seemed to drag on for a while. Overall, not my best swim. Don't really know why I got freaked in the beginning.
What would you do differently?:

I think I should spend a bit more time warming up in the water and swimming around. Also check out the course first and don't look at how far out the buoys are just before the gun goes off to start!
Transition 1
  • 03m 19s
Comments:

Don't have much to say about the transitions. I'm just not at the point where I care too much about being super-speedy during transitions. I'd rather make sure I have everything I need. But I still have an adrenaline rush, so I feel like I went through it pretty quickly.

put on my windbreaker and put a kleenex in my pocket.
Bike
  • 36m 48s
  • 11 miles
  • 17.93 mile/hr
Comments:

Started off the bike much better this time - my chain didn't fall off and I felt good going up the first hill. Mostly flat course with a couple of little hills. No big deal. No major construction this time though. The ride was freezing cold and I really wish I had my windbreaker. Why oh why did I leave it at the transition? Felt a bit sluggish, but then I saw quite a few girls really struggling on mountain bikes. I encouraged them and felt for them. All these roadies were whizzing past me. At least I have slicks on my MTB but I do think it slows me down some. Just not sure how much. It would be interesting to try the course again with a road bike and clipless. Run ended faster than I thought again. My Bike Computer said 10.6 miles, though it was supposed to be 11. Who knows. Nice ride. Went by fast. I didn't eat the Gu this time (even though I used masking tape to ensure easy removal!)

Wear my windbreaker. Try a road bike.
Transition 2
  • 03m 7s
Comments:

It's nice to not have clipless - eliminates a change of shoes. A bit confused about where to start the run.
Run
  • 29m 39s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal is to run the whole time and I did. Nice. But, I had water gurgling in my stomach the whole time which was not the most pleasant experience. Run went by slighly faster than usual. The quotes were fun to read. The only part that dragged was the end when I could see the finish but we had to loop around to get there. I felt good on the hills - both uphill and downhill (I just let myself go). Not a bad run.

I don't know if I ate too much yesterday or didn't drink enough water, but if there is a trick to prevent the gurgling stomach syndrome, that would be nice.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't really know. I didn't "feel" as good during this race. I think I was just tired from a rough week. Plus my training hasn't been quite as intense as before. Plus I think I had the second-race blues. The first race was great because I had all this energy and adrenaline and excitement. But this race I was just kind of there. Last time I was all nervous the night before and couldn't sleep and was having dreams that I forgot my bike, missed the start, or my helmet didn't pass "inspection." Today, I woke up at 5:00 and thought, "Oh, I'm doing a triathlon today." Much different than before. Plus, I didn't eat the best this week and I think my body could feel it. It was still a lot of fun and I really enjoy racing. I was just surprised at how different I felt compared to my first tri just last month.

Event comments:

I really enjoy being part of See Jane Run events. The See Jane Tri was great and it is a really neat company. It was impressive to see so many hard-core women out there. More than one 39-year-old passed me! It was fun, and nice to do with Paulette and Diana volunteering. I wish it wasn't the end of the season. Now what am I going to train for? Also, although I felt really sluggish and slow compared to these other super-star women, I actually finished about 7 minutes faster than my last race - and this was 100 yards longer for the swim. Interesting.

Last updated: 2006-08-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:28 | 500 yards | 02m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 411/598
Performance: Bad
Suit: Sleeveless wetsuit over bra and tri shorts
Course: Pretty much the same as the tri for fun. Though when I looked out for the buoys, they seemed to be REALLY far out there and I got a bit freaked.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:48 | 11 miles | 17.93 mile/hr
Overall: 295/598
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Mostly flat with a couple of little hills. After the turn around there was some good wind though.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:07
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:39 | 03.1 miles | 09m 34s  min/mile
Overall: 252/598
Performance: Good
Course: Much more logical than Tri for Fun. Started along the water and then along what a volunteer called a "teeny tiny hill." Not so teeny tiny! Actually, it wasn't long, just steep. There were a couple other hills as well, but not as many as the Tri for Fun. I passed some people on the uphill since a lot of people stop to walk. Water wasn't until Mile 2.4 or so, which I thought was really odd. Nice run though and they posted inspirational quotes in pink all along the course which was fun entertainment along the way. Also appropriate to support Breast Cancer Awareness. Weather got a lot better for this race and I didn't feel cold any more, which was nice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-01 10:01 PM

User image

New user
Subject: 3rd Annual SEE JANE TRI All Women's Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 3rd Annual SEE JANE TRI All Women's Triathlon Rss Feed