Set Up Inc
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 36m 42s
Overall Rank = 7/79
Age Group = W30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/19
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race at 6am, just as packet pick-up opened. Got through the line rather quickly, then headed back to the WARM car to sit until it got light out.. Set up my race belt and organized a bit, then headed to the transition area and set-up. It was freezing outside. I think in the upper 40s/low 50s. This is one of those races where it pays to get to the site early... The line for packet pick-up was really long by 6:30ish. I met mcbill and some others and did alot of talking. I also met with the stud Navy tri-team members.
Event warmup:

None, except for some jumping up and down and excessive whining to Patrick about the cold.
Swim
  • 23m 44s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 27s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started the swim still pretty cold, but the water was warmer than the air so it wasn't that bad. I seeded myself near the front and enjoyed the first 10 minutes or so with no swimmers in front. Then it was time to climb over the waves in front. Since this course was out and back, there was some considerable crashes as swimmers crossed into the other lane of traffic.

I stayed on course pretty well, as it always is in a clockwise course since I tend right. This has nothing to do with good sighting :) I was getting tired around half way through. Probably because I go out a bit too hard. I don't pay attention enough to what is going around me. Which causes some nice crashes and climbing over people. To my defense I did run over a guy who was swimming 90 degrees off course??
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 04m 2s
Comments:

The transition included a maybe .25 mile jog up to the transition area. Like Diamondman, they had a shoe transition area next to the swim exit. This time I just brought crocs, which was faster than shoes. I did fine on the jog out and kept my HR low.

The transition was SLOW as usual. I am not sure I care about this. I guess I should practice. But I also like a little rest.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 46s
  • 25 miles
  • 19.29 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out the ride SCREAMING because I was so cold. I considered putting on a long sleeve shirt but I saw some pretty fast girls leaving transition in just bathing suits so I figured I could suffer through the cold. After the first hill, I started warming up and forgot the cold. It was a good reminder that it is ok to freeze the first mile.

I once again, pushed the beginning of the race too hard. The worst hills were in the first 10 miles or so. I hate going up a hill and either having people pass me or seeing others in front. So I push every hill hard. At one point I looked down and my HR was at 180. That is Zone 5+ for me. I passed men on the hills to got passed again on the flats. I didn't see another girl for 15 miles or so. At around that point it was time to use my brakes for the first time.. Guess what? I didn't tighten my brakes back up when I fooled with my wheels the day before. Luckily I could reach down and tighten the front brake. Ooops.

I took the second half of the ride slower. The second half was also a bit flatter.

I had a bottle with about 400 cals in it. I drank half of it. Which was fine, since nutrition was never an issue. I had zero cramps/stomach aches.

Maybe take the hills a little bit easier. But, I do train the same way, so maybe I should just keep doing things the same way in the shorter races.
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

I am slow in transition. I even did the biggest no/no of them all, I SAT DOWN IN TRANSITION. I took time putting my shoes on and I was lucky enough to chat with Patrick while sitting. It was nice to see him :)

Uh... Move faster
Run
  • 49m 41s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m  min/mile
Comments:

I started out the run sort of slow. I was enjoying the race and not too concerned with pushing it too hard. The first mile was at ~8:30 pace with my HR in low Zone 3. I sped up the second mile at about 8 minute pace, but it included the nice big downhill. I took a split at the turnaround point and it was ~25 mins. Now I knew it was time to push it HARD. So I started running faster. I had a lot of energy, and other than being out of breath my legs/joints felt great. I made sure to say good job to those who I passed/or passed me and it was interesting to see how many said nothing back. I was that annoying girl who is in a good mood at the end of a race! I started figuring out that I may be able to break 50 mins for this run so I was getting really excited. Back in the park, I forgot to speed-up until right before the finish. I should have paid attention better :)

Nutrition: one gel at the half-way point.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

None. I felt pretty good, just a bit out of breath. I quickly ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (YES! Those are the best!) and then quickly moved to transition to get my Endurox and supplements.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. I figure I could get another minute out of transitions and maybe 10 seconds if I started my kick faster in the run.

Event comments:

This is a great race, especially since it was the first year that they did it. It did start a bit late, but I don't think anybody complained since it would only mean increased temps. A ton of Marines helped out as a fundraiser for the Marine Corps Ball. That was nice.

For me this was the best race I have ever done. I REALLY rested the 3-4 days before hand. If I didn't feel like a workout, I skipped it. I think less is more for me as tapers are concerned. During the run I think part of it feeling better was that my focus was on the half IM this year and that added base made the Olympic distance so much easier. If anything, I finished the race with some fuel still in my tank. It was an Olympic distance PR by about 8 minutes :)

I learned that in an Olympic distance, I don't really need that much nutrition. In my last Olympic I had twice as many cals and had some stomach upset. Weather was perfect too, which may have helped my speed :)

Last updated: 2006-06-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:44 | 1640 yards | 01m 27s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/19
Overall: 4/79
Performance: Average
Suit: wetsuit
Course: Out and back into the middle of the river. Once for sprint, twice for international. The water was saturated with weeds. Time may have been slower because of all the weeds I was pulling instead of water :)
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:02
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:17:46 | 25 miles | 19.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/19
Overall: 12/79
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills through rural areas. Mostly wooded, so wind not much of a factor. Harder than many expected.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:41 | 06.21 miles | 08m  min/mile
Age Group: 2/19
Overall: 20/79
Performance: Good
Course: ~ 1 mile out of the park, then 1 big downhill, 1 big uphill and one big uphill. Out and back course with the same hills in the opposite direction. The middle 1.5 miles or so are relatively flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-02 9:02 AM

User image

Elite
Reston VA
Subject: General Smallwood Triathlon

2006-10-02 9:19 AM
in reply to: #557439

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Subject: RE: General Smallwood Triathlon
Wow! Very impressive. 7th overall is just awesome. It doesn't sound like you pushed too hard in the swim or the bike if you had gas left in the tank at the end. Nice job on the negative split run. Congratulations on a great race!
2006-10-02 9:55 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Awesome race!  Solid across the board (well, maybe you could shave a bit off those transitions ). 

Congrats on the hardware and I expect you'll be accumulating some more of that in the future.

2006-10-02 1:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD

Great job!  An Olympic PR by 8 minutes is incredible!  I bet it was a great feeling to enjoy that huge base you built for Diamondman.  Looks like it payed off huge on that awesome run you had. 

and......Congratulations on winning your AG!!!!

2006-10-02 2:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte
Congratulations on a great race!! Way to tough out the lousy weather conditions.
2006-10-02 4:15 PM

User image

Awesome job!! You kicked butt in every event. This will be tough to beat, but what a great goal to have.

I am totally jealous as I really wanted to be there. My Montclaire time would have put me in the top 3 of my AG.

Congrats on a great race. Now it's time to focus on OBX!!

2006-10-04 9:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Shelly-

It was very nice to meet you at Smallwood. Sorry about the school teacher thing

Congrats on your awesome race! First AG!! WOW!! Fantastic!

Good luck at Osprey!

Larry

P.S. Yes those guys from Annapolis are studs!

2006-10-04 10:10 AM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Shelly,

Great race and congratulations on winning your age group.  I was interested in how this race would go.  Hopefully they'll change to a Sunday race for next year. 

Ernie

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » General Smallwood Triathlon Rss Feed