General Discussion Race Reports! » Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon Relay Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon Relay - RunOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
United States
Badgerland Striders
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 01m 50s
Overall Rank = 10/32
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was a marathon relay team I had put together. Segment 1, is 7, segment 2 is 3.7, segment 3 (mine) 8.2, segment 4, 7.7.

Met at 5:30. I drank a quart of gatorade and had a powerbar and a bananna. Tough planning, because the event starts at 8, but I won't be running until approximately 9:40 or so.

Lot's of prep work as the race is a single line (not out and back to same location. Pick up a bus at the finish to the starting point. Then, relay members pick up a bus to go to their various locations. Sounds like a lot of mish mosh, but they handled it fantastic.
Event warmup:

Got to the race start and worked logistics of our "bags". It was chilly in the AM, but a great day was predicted, so multiple layers had to be worn and dealt with. We all worked out a pass-off strategy of chip and gear so we could keep our stuff with us, vs. use the busses to transport gear.
Run
  • 1h 01m 50s
  • 8.21 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I kept hemming and hawing on what to wear. Cool in the morning, but warmed up nicely. Also, water. I went back and forth on this one. I decided to wear my fuel belt, which was a great decision. I MUCH prefer regular sipping vs. trying to gulp out of huge cups at aid stations. Even though I was looking to be working only an hour, I'm glad I had my regular water whenever I wanted.

Since the actual distance was 8.2 I'll speak in terms of pace goals. I 7:30 was a MUST I felt. 7:15 was where I REALLY wanted to be, but unsure if I could do it. I set my GPS to show me average pace / HR / distance so I knew those variables at all times.

I ran the first mile in about 7:02. Second mile in 7:10. My HR was through the roof. I was feeling "OK" and passing a boatload of marathoners and other relay members. They put a big "RELAY" sign on your back, which is good, so as to not make the marathoners think I'm some kind of superman.

I slowed down to attempt to get a bit more comfortable, wanting to ramp up again at 6 or so. Never really did get comfort zone, HR stayed way up in the 170's the whole run. Avg. Pace kept slipping until I had to put the stopper in the drain at around 7:25 average pace. Did that to varied success and finished up just over 7:30. So, eh...I got what I expected, but nothing dramatic or anything to get excited about. Of course, this time last year this would have never happened, so I'm keeping that in mind.
What would you do differently?:

Take more water and food with me. There was NOTHING when our bus got to the relay handoff at 8:30. So, an hour and 10 minutes with NOTHING except the water in my fuel belt, which was off limits, obviously.
Post race
Warm down:

The other teammates did fantastic. Bruce, 7 mile leg in an 8:15 pace. Mike, couch to 3.7 guy, isn't saying much about his time. I was the 7:30, and then Erv finished off the 7.7 at 8 minute miles! All well above their ability and expectations. Bruce and Erv were super pumped about their performance. That was AWESOME! Based on avg. HR, you can imagine how spent I was at the end, which is the goal. I gave it everything, and can't ask for more than that.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I've got to concentrate on more HR training this off-season I think. That baby was up there, and up there to stay.

I had mild ITBS about 5 years ago and put me out for about 6-months. Very rarely it rears it's ugly head when I'm working hard. Last time was my HIM. Showed up mildly today at about 4.5, so I had to play mental gymnastics with my knee and pray it stayed together to the end. It BASICALLY did, but it did hurt afterwards and into the evening. Quad on that side very tight and sore today.

Event comments:

GREAT POST-RACE party and overall I'd recommend this event to anyone. Tons of peeps on the roads cheering, great aid, etc. etc.

Last updated: 2006-10-02 12:00 AM
Running
01:01:50 | 08.21 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/32
Performance: Average
avg. hr was 177
Course: Nice slightly rolling to flat with some long gentle downhill sections.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-10-02 9:02 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Subject: Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon Relay

2006-10-02 9:13 AM
in reply to: #557440

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon Relay

Awesome job, donkey!  You got your goal, basically.  :02 over your goal pace is almost nothing, besides, you gave it everything you had.  You can probably use this run as a LT test too!

-Rob 

2006-10-02 9:54 AM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Great race! Talk about red-lining it. It is really cool that you were able to encourage the other guys to take on the challenge. Looks like they did really well too.
2006-10-02 11:57 AM
in reply to: #557459

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
pseudoyams - 2006-10-02 9:13 AM

Awesome job, donkey!  You got your goal, basically.  :02 over your goal pace is almost nothing, besides, you gave it everything you had.  You can probably use this run as a LT test too!

-Rob 

I was wondering about the LT test question.  What would that mean, that 177 is approx my running LT right now, since I was able to hold it for an hour, but barely?

2006-10-02 12:17 PM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Good stuff.  Keep with the long runs and that HR should come down gradually (maybe a weekend run in the boating off season every now and again?)
2006-10-02 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Great Race! Make sure and rest those legs...no need for injuries.

Also, I think you may be very close to your LT, but I think that is a little high. I would do the test (friel's way) in about 10-15 days. My $.02

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon Relay Rss Feed