United States
KNBR 680
Overcast
Total Time = 54m 12s
Overall Rank = 239/2583
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 78/513
Pre-race routine:

For dinner, had some pasta, marinara sauce, and sweet turkey Italian sausage from Bristol Farms in the newly-opened Westfield shopping center in San Francisco. Had a nasty migraine yesterday though. Did go to bed early because of it and woke up plenty refreshed at 6AM. Had some Smart Start cereal, some coffee and some water for breakfast. Race wasn’t scheduled to start until 9:20AM for the 12K. Left the house at 7:45AM and parked at the Embarcadero parking garage.
Event warmup:

DW and I did some strides to warm up. 7K was scheduled to start at 9AM and the 12K at 9:20AM. 7K ended up being delayed (sounded like it was something with Race Central, the group handling the timing). Did a very light 5 minute jog to try to stay loose.
Run
  • 54m 12s
  • 7.46 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

For me personally, this race had a little bit of additional significance to me because I ran the 7K last year when I was not very fit (I weighed in 150s at that time and was in the mid 160s earlier in the year last year and am 136 now) when my running had lapsed and it was a coworker (who did light run workouts on his treadmill) who asked me to do the run last year since he thought of me as the runner in the department. I did the 7K in 40:37 (9:20 pace) and I knew I could shatter that pace in the 12K, esp. since I already did a 8:12 pace at the Angel Island 12K trail race a month ago. This race was a chance to validate the training I had done this year.

I was just a bit nervous waiting at the start as I let a few self doubts creep in. Was I recovered enough from the workouts I had done earlier in the week? Was I be able to live up to my own expectations? In the end, I could only run my own race and rely on my training.

This is the first year that they have used timing chips for the race, so there was no need to crowd toward the front of the group and I placed myself right in the middle of the pack. The race started without incident and it wasn’t too crowded. It always takes me about a mile or so to warm up, but I didn’t feel like I started too slowly. I pass some people and am passed by people as the pack sorts itself out in it’s almost Darwinistic way. I’m very familiar with the route having run this race and others and training runs on so many occasions.

We pass all the piers and aquatic park and it’s time to do the hill up to Ft. Mason. I love hills because I run them fairly often (hard to avoid in many parts of the bay area), I’m small and light, and I usually gain time on others on the uphill and the downhill. Most keep pace 1/2 way up the hill and then I’m able to start picking off runners here and there. Then it’s down along the Marina and Crissy Field and down to Ft. Point at the base of the Golden Gate Bridge. On the stretch going down to Ft. Point, I note the location of the photographer on the return leg so I can be sure to position myself for a good race photo (yes, a touch of vanity…).

With less than a mile to go, I start to pick up the pace just a bit and started slowly passing a couple of runners. When we make the turn up to the parade grounds, I know that it’s uphill, make a turn and then more uphill to the finish. Here’s where I really turn it on and I start passing a lot of people. There are a lot of walkers spread out and in the way so I have to navigate around them. I make the last turn and sprint towards the finish.

I was really happy with these results. The accomplishment of the run felt great as well as the larger accomplishment of how I’ve become the fittest I’ve been in my life.

Post race
Warm down:

After the finish line, they herded the runners through this gauntlet to get bananas, water, and our finisher’s t-shirts. This was a mess. It took 15 minutes to get through this where we’re all packed like sardines. We don’t have any other access to water or food nor can we stretch while waiting in line. Booths afterward had almost no giveaways for food (e.g. there were no energy food or bar sponsors this time around). The only food I was able to score was a bag of Corazones chips. This was the worst post-race support I’ve experienced.

I stretched. I waited for DW to finish. Saw her way back in the line and convinced her cut out of the line. I had grabbed extra water and knew we could bypass the line and get her t-shirt at the very end. We stretched. Took the shuttle back to the embarcadero (line was long, but moved quickly). Back at the car, we had energy bars and energy drinks which we consumed. Then went off for lunch at Fuzio in Embarcadero 4 where I had a Japanese noodle bowl with chicken and DW had the Firecracker Pork Rotelli. Back home, took a steam shower and then a nap.

Event comments:

Course is wonderful, as always.

After the finish line, they herded the runners through this gauntlet to get bananas, water, and our finisher’s t-shirts. This was a mess. It took 15 minutes to get through this where we’re all packed like sardines. We don’t have any other access to water or food nor can we stretch while waiting in line. Booths afterward had almost no giveaways for food (e.g. there were no energy food or bar sponsors this time around). The only food I was able to score was a bag of Corazones chips. This was the worst post-race support I’ve experienced, which was quite surprising since it's always been fine in the past.

Last updated: 2006-09-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:54:12 | 07.46 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 78/513
Overall: 513/2583
Performance:
Course: The Bridge to Bridge run is a beautiful run that starts at the Ferry Building near the Bay Bridge, along the Embarcadero, past Aquatic Park, along the Marina and Crissy Field, down to Fort Point and back to the Presidion parade grounds. The October Issue of runner’s world picked this run as the run of the month.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-10-02 1:18 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: Bridge to Bridge Run - 12K

2006-10-02 1:46 PM
in reply to: #557877

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Bridge to Bridge Run - 12K

Great job on the race!!  You were really fast! 

It sounds like a beautiful course - I loved visiting that area when I was in San Francisco.  The post-race does sound miserable.  Do they have an email address that you can send suggestions to for next year?

2006-10-02 1:50 PM
in reply to: #557877

User image

Congrats on the race and your accomplishments in the last year!  I had done the alcatraz swim Sat, and Sun after breakfast my wife and I walked down to the wharf, had no idea a race was going on, but it's always fun to watch everyone running by.  All different types of people do these things, it always amazes me.

Edited by ChrisM 2006-10-02 1:50 PM
2006-10-02 8:20 PM
in reply to: #557940

User image

Master
San Francisco
Artemis, thanks!

That's a great idea about emailing the RD about the post race stuff.
2006-10-02 8:24 PM
in reply to: #557950

User image

Master
San Francisco
ChrisM - 2006-10-02 11:50 AM

Congrats on the race and your accomplishments in the last year!  I had done the alcatraz swim Sat, and Sun after breakfast my wife and I walked down to the wharf, had no idea a race was going on, but it's always fun to watch everyone running by.  All different types of people do these things, it always amazes me.

I wanted to do the alcatraz swim too, but had already signed up for this run awile back. I ended up doing an alcatraz swim on Friday morning. That was my first crossing and only my second swim in the SF bay. It was a blast.

I read your Sharkfest race report (and everyone else's who had done a race with an alcatraz crossing) in preparation for that swim. Two weeks until the Escape from the Rock tri!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bridge to Bridge Run - 12K Rss Feed