United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 216/241
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 16/16
Pre-race routine:

Race was at 12:30 pm. Got to the area about 11:00 and got race package, set up transition area with my daughter. Walked around and checked out the area and found a place for my Mom to sit.
Event warmup:

Listened to prerace instructions, no real warmup.
Swim
  • 21m 5s
  • 805 meters
  • 02m 37s / 100 meters
Comments:

Beautiful mountain lake, Bouys were on the left and of course I breath on the right, followed a pair of feet out and discovered too late we were way off the line. Probablly added 100+ yards to my swim getting back on line. Got discouraged some and did some breaststroking to recover and get my mind back in the race.
What would you do differently?:

Sight sooner and more often.
Transition 1
  • 03m 46s
Comments:

fairly long run from the water to bike included here. Running without glasses and fogged goggles made it difficult to find bike. Suit off and socks/shoes on as expected. I had forgotten to loosen the velcro on the bike shoes so that cost a few seconds. Took a few seconds to drink some water.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 14s
  • 18 miles
  • 16.31 mile/hr
Comments:

When I set up I did not see very many MTB's in the racks so I knew I would have a tough time competitively on the bike. I passed a few and got passed by many more, more as a result of slower equipment than performance. My lower back started hurting about mile 10-12, dont know why as it had not done that in training.

Get a faster bike. Like my previous race, I think I got about all I could out of the bike segment with my current equipment. 16+ mph on a hilly course with a walmart MTB is about all i've done in training.
Transition 2
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

Changed shoes, grabbed visor, drank some water and headed out. Back was hurting a lot at this time.

Nothing
Run
  • 45m 42s
  • 4 miles
  • 11m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

My 10 yo daughter met me as I left transition and ran about a quarter mile with me until the course entered the main road. That was fun. My back was in pain with every step and it was all I could do to keep running. I slowed and walked a few times up the hills and through the 2 water stops to get my HR down. I had hoped to do the run in sub 11 min miles so that goal was not met. Claire met me on the way back in and ran with me to the finish line.

I think the back pain really hurt my run time. I was never breathing too hard but this limited my speed.
Post race
Warm down:

ate a bananna and had water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

One item that I think impacted my performance overall was the time of day of the race. I am a early morning person and by the time the race started at 12:30pm I had been up for 7 hours and was not really excited about racing. I train mostly in the early AM and I think my performance would have been better had I raced in the early AM. I had a good time and looking back at my races this year I have shown improvement. Actually at the first of the year even starting this distance would have not been posible.

I had hoped to finish this race in under 2:10 and I was really disappointed with my time and overall ranking on this rece until I realized there were about 50 relay teams mixed in with the individual participants. I dont guess I really should be expected to beat a 3 person team when competing individually. I did however have a better time than 4 of the relay teams.

My weight remains a limiter. I weighed in at about 210 at this race. They did not have a clyde division so I did not expect to rank high in my age group. In comparing this race to my first tri in June of 2006, this race was 2 times the distance in all sports and my overall time in June was 1:15 vs 2:18 at this longer distance.

Event comments:

Overall a good race. I would like to do again in a year to measure my improvement. Venue is close enough to my Moms mountain cabin to be convenient for overnight lodging.

Last updated: 2006-08-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:05 | 805 meters | 02m 37s / 100meters
Age Group: 15/16
Overall: 0/241
Performance: Below average
Suit: sleeveless
Course: out and back rectangular
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:46
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:06:14 | 18 miles | 16.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/16
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly with some flats. 9 miles out and back. The course ran through farms at the base of the Cohutta Wilderness area, beautiful country to ride in.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:45:42 | 04 miles | 11m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/16
Course: Some grades, 2 miles out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-10-02 5:54 PM

Veteran
Snellville
Subject: Sunbelt/Cohutta Springs Triathlon

2006-10-02 6:06 PM
in reply to: #558259

User image

Expert
Charleston, SC
Subject: RE: Sunbelt/Cohutta Springs Triathlon

Great job on the on your second race, and way to improve your time!  To me the bike split is amazing because I have never seen a walmart bike operate as expected (cranks falling off, brakes not working, and the like).   Keep up with the training and the times will keep going down.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sunbelt/Cohutta Springs Triathlon Rss Feed