Play Tri
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 41s
Overall Rank = 184/670
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 25/70
Pre-race routine:

Up 3 hours before the start, 2 slices of PB toast and an Oatmeal Raisin Clif bar. Took a shower and got dressed. Waited around for a little while to make sure we had everything and we were off. Got there in about 10 minutes - nice to live close.

Got parked and walked our bikes over to the transition area. Helped a girl fix a flat on the way for some kharma points. Why is it that we got her tube and tire on with absolutely no trouble, yet when I have to do that to my bike, it takes forever?

Navigated to the body marking where I ran into Tommy (zia_cyclist), then there was the maze of bike racks. Never seen so many racks. Hard to find mine, then it was hard to find a good spot. Found the BT crew - Aaron (JeepFleeb), Haley (Comet), Laurie (tri_it_cajun_style), Derek (DerekL), John (jcagg90), and Patrick (pds0006). Later ran into David (davidb) and Seb (sebjamesm).
Event warmup:

None. First wave was at 7:30, mine wasn't till 8:20. No point in getting in the water to warmup. I just stood around yolking it up with Seb and Tracy, while some creepy old dude with a speedo and very thick chest hair stood right behind us, often leaning over to look at the water. Yeesh, someone needs a weedeater.

Did some light stretching while watching the early wave BTers go by. Think I almost pulled a muscle laughing at Haley knocking the chick out of the way. Funniest thing I've ever seen. Saw Shannon get out of the water (no ear issues this time!), then we headed over to the dock.
Swim
  • 17m 12s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

Never felt good during the swim. Couldn't get my form right, and whenever I tried to concentrate on form I would get way off course. Probably lost a minute with navigation issues.
What would you do differently?:

Better navigation.
Transition 1
  • 03m 28s
Comments:

After the swim exit it was about 100 yards straight up a hill, then 200 down the other side. Very steep. Had to be careful not to fall. Then had to go all the way to the other side of the racks before going down mine.

Had to walk the bike out of the racks. Way too crowded. Nice to see, however, that mine wasn't the last bike left.

Better transition than Prairieman. Didn't forget anything this time.

Nothing
Bike
  • 35m 59s
  • 12 miles
  • 20.01 mile/hr
Comments:

Saw Tommy immediately after the bike exit. Said hello as I prepared for the hill. I bike this course all the time, so there were no shocks. The hill on Ridge killed me both times, but I recovered from it pretty quickly. Passed lots of folks from the early waves, but very few from mine. Was hitting 30 mph going S on Stonebridge with the wind. Kept the cadence pretty high for the most part, but my legs were burning going into the wind. If the distance is truly 12 miles (I think it was short), then this was my fastest ride ever. Still, even if it's 1/3 of a mile short, I'm still happy with it.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Just about fell over when I tried to stop my Garmin timer. Otherwise, no issues.

Nothing
Run
  • 23m 32s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

This run hurt. Started uphill, then down under a tunnel and back uphill. Then down under another tunnel, and back uphill. Then another little bit of alternating up and down, then back. Calves were burning like crazy the first mile.

I did not want to go on, but I wanted to make up some time on everyone. I certainly did that. I passed a ton of people on the way out. As I motivational tool (and to take my mind off my burning calves), I decided to count how many people I could pass from the turnaround. On the way back I passed 31 people. And my goal for every run was met - not to get passed by anyone.

Caught up with Shannon with about 200-400 yards to go. Since I didn't really care about how I finished, I slowed down and jogged in with her. Pretty rare that we get to run together, so that was fun, even if it cost me a few seconds and one age group spot.

Nothing. This was a very tough run course. For not feeling motivated to run, I think it was pretty good.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a little bit and got some water. Then walked with David (davidb) and got some leftover race tshirts. They were dri fit shirts, so getting my hands on 3 more of those was nice. Almost made the race pay for itself.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Motivation. Don't know if it was burnout, overtraining, or what, but I wasn't mentally into this race. I could tell on Monday that I didn't really care. I never had a checklist for it, no goals, no nothing. I was just ready to get it over with.

Event comments:

I'd rate this a 5 but can't due to logistics. They tried to cram too many people into too small of a space for transition, and I wasn't crazy about having to go up a steep hill, then down a longer, steeper one after the swim. Did like the dri fit shirts, and getting the chips at packet pickup instead of race morning was a nice touch (since I almost always forget mine till the last minute).

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-02-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:12 | 820 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 30/70
Overall: 290/670
Performance: Below average
Suit: Javelin Tri Top and Shorts
Course: This description courtesy of Shannon (swatson) and Laurie - it was an upside down beaker shaped swim in a private, manmade pond.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:28
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:59 | 12 miles | 20.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 30/70
Overall: 244/670
Avg HR 165
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loops, mostly flat with 1 steep climb directly after a right turn (aka after you lose all momentum).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:32 | 03.11 miles | 07m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/70
Overall: 81/670
Mile 1 - 7:12 (HR 180) Mile 2 - 7:22 (HR 178) Mile 2 - 7:13 (HR 179) Leftovers - 1:45
Course: Out and back on concrete walking trails. Uphill first half. Very painful.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-03 6:02 AM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Subject: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon

2006-10-03 6:13 AM
in reply to: #558527

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon

Great job Andy!

Maybe its time for a little break, thats not so bad. As for the swim-T1 setup there is nothing that they can do about that. There's a hill, there's a hill.

2006-10-03 8:03 AM

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
It's about time you posted your RR.  Nicely done, Andy.
2006-10-03 8:23 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Great race report! The run was killer! Transition could have been better but I know they gotta do what they gotta do!
2006-10-03 11:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX
I'm glad to see that everyone else loooooved those hills and the transition area as much as I did...can you detect the sarcasm???

Great time on the bike, though! Also, I'm totally going to steal the "count the number of people I pass" bit on the run...genius.
2006-10-03 9:08 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Nice race.  I saw you on the first hill out of transition (I think it was the second loop) and you were spinning nicely up that hill.  I thought to myself "He's become a cyclist!"  Great job.

I also saw you and Shannon cross the finish line together.  That was really cool. 

TJ

2006-10-03 9:34 PM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Great job, Andy!  You've had a great season so far and have much to be proud of.  Thanks for putting me in the RR!
2006-10-04 9:16 AM

User image

Houston, TX
Great race! It was very sweet of you to run in to the finish with Shannon- I am sure that was a nice end to the race for both of you!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon Rss Feed