Cache Valley Veloists
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 39m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

(This report is a few weeks old, but I just figured out how to make it public...)

I was pretty stressed out about not being able to finish for most of the week. Thursday night I got NO sleep. Friday night (night before ride) I was eager to get lots of sleep. Unfortunately my neighbors had a different plan. They kept me up WAY late. I had to get up at 5:30 because the ride was a 2 hour drive and started at 8:00. I get up and hear thunder and lightning. I was pretty much ready to call it day and sat around sulking for about a half hour. Finally my wife convinced me that I would be more mad at missing the ride, than if I had to ride in the rain, so I loaded up my bike and left a half hour late.

After picking up my bro-in-law (who was riding with me) We got there pretty much as the registration was ending. Most riders had left and we pretty much brought up the rear. Scott (my bro-in-law) was a little mad about not being able to ride in a big group, which apparently is half the fun of a big ride like this. I had never done one, so I didn't know any better. It was a little chilly, but blue skies and not a rain cloud in sight.

Bike
  • 3h 39m 5s
  • 61.5 miles
  • 16.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Basically the ride was split up in 20 mile sections with rest stops. First section was pretty fun until about 4 miles from the rest stop. Slight uphill with some good winds. Leg Burner, but not brutal. Loaded up on some goodies and gatorade at the rest stop and headed out. Next section started out great with a HUGE downhill. Scott and I raced and both hit about 47 mph!!! I think that is my new speed record. We then had a long uphill, but it was very slight slope, so not hard at all. Some riders passed us about 5 miles from the next rest stop and it motivated me to pick up the pace. Kept in sync with those riders at about 24mph for the last 5mph to the rest stop. We had a tailwind, so it wasn't as impressive as it sounds! At this rest area, I realized that I was at 41 miles for the day already. Didn't feel too tired and it was the farthest I had ever ridden! Few more snacks, more water and back on the road. Last section was pretty flat and not bad riding. At about 50 miles I remember thinking that maybe I should have tried the full 100 miles. I didn't feel THAT tired yet. I picked up the pace and rode hard, passing a few packs of riders. The full ride was 61.5 miles. At EXACTLY 60 miles, my legs felt like they shut off. "Okay dude, we rode 60 miles, let's take a break...." Unfortunately I just had 1 steep hill left to climb. Dropped it into low gear and climbed it barely fast enough to not fall over. Coasted into the park for the finish. I DID IT!!!!

Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and waited for my Brother-in-law to catch up, then ate lunch.
Lunch was really good. I would have paid 10 bucks for a burrito that good!

Event comments:

The ride was very scenic through rural farmlands in northern Utah and Southern Idaho. Definitely going back next year. Anyone who lives in the area should check it out. They have a 40 mile option too, if 60 or 100 seems too far. Weather was perfect. I am so glad I didn't wimp out.

(This is from a few weeks ago, but I forgot to make it public)

Last updated: 2006-08-07 12:00 AM
Biking
03:39:05 | 61.5 miles | 16.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Rural Highways of Northern Utah and Southern Idaho
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-03 10:04 AM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
Subject: Cache Valley Century

2006-10-03 10:25 AM
in reply to: #558809

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Cache Valley Century
Sounded like a great day once you got going.  Congrats on your long ride!!  Always interesting on how all of a sudden you get worn out. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cache Valley Century Rss Feed