General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee issue at a young age Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-03 1:05 PM

User image

San Francisco, CA
Subject: Knee issue at a young age
Hey all,
I'm 23 and have always been moderately active off and on my whole life. I've never been in really competitive sports, but I've always stayed active and never really been overweight. As long as I can remember, there has been a slight pain in my right knee when I completely extend/straighten my leg (usually if I were to lay down and do a full body stretch). It feels like it is around my kneecap. It is not a huge pain, more of a discomfort. I don't really seem to have any problem other than this. However, if I put my hand over my knee and move it around a certain way it feels a little bit "creaky." Has anyone ever had this problem? It is not really impairing anything, but I would like to get into running more and this is a concern for me. I don't want to mess up anything in the long run! I've also started taking glucosamine pills to see if that would help. I'll most likely have it checked out with a doctor, but I'm curious if anyone else has delt with this.

Thanks!

Edited by tunidawn 2006-10-03 1:29 PM

2006-10-03 5:45 PM
in reply to: #559150

User image

Gilbert, AZ
Subject: RE: Knee issue at a young age
Obviously it could be a lot of things, but the following immediately come to mind:

1. possibly patellofemoral syndrome - pretty common among females because of Q-angles (hips, knees, tibia). In this condition, the kneecap doesn't track correctly in the femoral groove. This can cause pain on it's own, or exacerbate chondromalacia patella.

2. chondromalacia patella - softening of the cartilage under the knee cap. "Creaking" is a common sign for this condition. Again, usually caused from weakness in the quad muscle (inner most quad) and/or misalignment.

3. Tendinitis - either the quadriceps or patellar tendon

This condition usually responds well to physical therapy and strengthening of the VMO (vastus medialis oblique/innermost quad muscle). Knee sleeves (patellar stabilizers - sleeves with the holes for the knee) and anti-inflammatories are also beneficial.

Check with your PCP (primary care provider), ortho, PT (physical therapist), or ATC (athletic trainer).

Good luck!
2006-10-09 7:53 AM
in reply to: #559150

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: Knee issue at a young age
I have the same thing and am off to PT today. I'll let you know if I find out anything useful. I went to PCP last week and he referred me. I have had this since may. I first noticed it more when I got a new car, a stick shift, it was hurting my left knee when I used the clutch. I've trained without much pain, just discomfort for a few months, then all of a sudden about 2 miles into a run my knee would get week, esp if I turned a corner, went off a curb etc. I've been bad at resting it, so I plan to take the week off (it's a bummer because this is the middle of fall tri season here) and see what the PT says.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee issue at a young age Rss Feed