General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf injury! Can I bike??! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-04 10:04 AM

Winnipeg
Subject: Calf injury! Can I bike??!
O.k. I am stupid. Very stupid!!
I started to experience calf tightness and cramps in my left calf a couple of weeks ago when I started to take up swimming. (After all, you can't do a tri without being able to swim, can you?).
Started feeling better, kept running and doing my regular training and not really listening to my body because I happen to be a stubborn old fart who thinks he is still 21! Went for a run yesterday and when I just turned around at the halfway mark (figures!!!), my calf sort of 'popped'. Instant pain but do not think anything is torn because no bruising etc. Still not comfortable to walk and have been following the R.I.C.E principles.
I will not run, I will not run, I will not run!!!!
But....can I bike? (On a stationary-it is already too cold for me here to go outside) I get the impression from the rare times that I do listen to my body that the calf muscles are not used very much. Would I be correct? I would rather do something than nothing if it is possible so if any of you know if cycling would not do any further damage or delay healing, your advice would be appreciated.
Thanks all!

2006-10-04 10:10 AM
in reply to: #560125

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Subject: RE: Calf injury! Can I bike??!

I tore my calf last August.  I spent 4 months trying to rest it, and finally ended up going to the chiropracter for two weeks of ultrasound and EMS.  I haven't had any problems since, but I do pay attention to how it 'feels.'

During that time I did do some biking, but 'running' motions (elliptical etc) bothered that area.  Do what feels comfortable but look into repairing the calf ASAP.

Good luck!

2006-10-04 10:41 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Don't take anything you read here as anything other than some one's personal experience. Do NOT take it as medical advice.

With that said, last February I had something similar happen. Running on a treadmill, I got a sudden seizure of the left calf. I backed off, and it hurt for a few days. I stopped running, but I could still bike and swim without pain. I waited a couple weeks, and tried running easy again. Within a half-mile, it siezed up again. I went through about 4 cycles of resting from running, only to have it sieze up when I tried running again.

Finally went to the doc. Calf strain of the gastroc-nemius (not sure I spelled that right). After a few weeks of PT (about 6 or so), I was cleared to run. And I haven't had any problems since, but I'm very conscientious of stretching before and after my runs, and doing the exercises that I did in PT.

You MAY have a similar injury. I would think that you could bike as long as there isn't any pain. But you shouold get a professional diagnosis.
2006-10-04 10:45 AM

User image

Boulder, Colorado

stairclimber8 - 2006-10-04 8:04 AM O.k. I am stupid. Very stupid!! I started to experience calf tightness and cramps in my left calf a couple of weeks ago when I started to take up swimming. (After all, you can't do a tri without being able to swim, can you?). Started feeling better, kept running and doing my regular training and not really listening to my body because I happen to be a stubborn old fart who thinks he is still 21! Went for a run yesterday and when I just turned around at the halfway mark (figures!!!), my calf sort of 'popped'. Instant pain but do not think anything is torn because no bruising etc. Still not comfortable to walk and have been following the R.I.C.E principles. I will not run, I will not run, I will not run!!!! But....can I bike? (On a stationary-it is already too cold for me here to go outside) I get the impression from the rare times that I do listen to my body that the calf muscles are not used very much. Would I be correct? I would rather do something than nothing if it is possible so if any of you know if cycling would not do any further damage or delay healing, your advice would be appreciated. Thanks all!

Having had A LOT of experience with this - my first suggestion is for you to get looked at by a PT or MT. Otherwise here is my advice:

1 - get a massage from a qualified massage therapist

2 - use the hot/cold method to treat it

Hot/cold -get two HUGE buckets - one filled with ice water, the other
with hot water (as hot as you can stand). Put your calf in the cold one
for 4 minutes, and then out it in the hot one for as long as you can
stand it. Repeat for 20 minutes. Finish with the cold, always.

I hope this helps. It has worked countless times for me.

2006-10-04 10:55 AM

User image

Like Foolproof, I tore my calf muscle (nov 2005) and it was months before it healed.  I was going to a physiotherapist, but she just wasn't helping.  Finally, I started seeing a chiropractor and within 3 weeks I was back up and running (literally). 

Definitely not something to play with.. That 'popping' noise you heard is most likely a tear of some sort, and you should seek medical assistance.  If you find that you can get on the stationary bike without pain, then there probably isn't an issue.. but give it a few days before you do so.  Your calf is likely quite unhappy with you right now and any aggravation could make things worse.  Always good to follow the rule of 'If it hurts, don't do it.'

2017-09-27 12:46 PM

Note: I experienced a Grade 2 (or possibly Grade 3) calf strain 3 weeks ago (self diagnosed so far - happened just before a hurricane evacuation!)... first, bruising may not happen right away - mine was a pop while run/walking, could only walk with a limp, and had some swelling almost right away... but noticeable bruising didn’t start for a few days - first (maybe the first day or two) where the pain was, then in front, on my shin and near the ankle- mostly light bruising but more noticeable in some areas. So it may not happen right away.
Next, I agree about listening! It happened for the first time (but not as severe) almost exactly 2 months before... followed by periodic mild pain while exercising that I completely dismissed, and then while having a great work out - pop... and I was on complete rest (other than light walking - not on a treadmill) for 3 weeks. I just started some light, low-impact cardio, and am going to schedule with a PT to avoid repeat injury. I am not at all a serious athlete or doctor (but have done some half marathons, etc so it’s not entirely my first injury rodeo).... and, two points I am going to explore (in case they are helpful to anyone else) - I had a stress fracture in my 4th metatarsal (in my foot) on the same side as this calf injury about 7 years ago that still bothers me, and, period to my calf strain, I had been feeling some mild shin (splint) pain on the same side. I have also lost about 40-45 pounds over the past year (and am about 15 pounds away from my healthy body weight) and although I had recently bought new running shoes, I just purchased new ones that feel much better!! Hope that helps, and happy healing!!

2017-10-06 2:28 PM
in reply to: 0

Reston, Virginia
Hey something I have experience with. I actually strained each calf in successive seasons. It's incredibly frustrating. The only thing that kept me active was biking and long walks. It seem the elevating that is required by running is not used (as much) during biking. But here is the advice that appears to have given me a whole season without a strain: get a tiger tail https://www.tigertailusa.com/pages/our-products#272133617 I use it every morning. Go up and down on all three calf muscles about 20-30 times each. Cheaper than PT or Chiropractors.

I mostly stayed out of the pool, but when you do swim remember to not push off the wall with that leg. I didn't realize I was doing it and was sore the next day.

Edited by dupdup 2017-10-06 2:32 PM
2017-10-06 4:14 PM
in reply to: stairclimber8

User image

Katy, Texas
Wow, I'm dealing with the EXACT same thing right now. 3 weeks ago I was running along fine then POP. Felt like I got stabbed. Hobbled home, and took two days off and the pain subsided, tried to run and made it 1/4 of a mile before it was obvious I needed to stop. Took two more days off and was able to run 2 miles, then ran another 2 the following day. Tried for a 3rd day in a row and got 1.5 miles in and POP...right back to where I started and had to hobble home yet again. Took a week off and tried to run again, but it started getting tight within a 1/4 mile and I decided not to push it an take another week off. So it's been two weeks with no running and I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow. I haven't had any pain in that time. I've been able to swim and bike with no issue throughout.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf injury! Can I bike??! Rss Feed