General Discussion Race Reports! » Happy 1st Birthday Prairie View Elementary Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Happy 1st Birthday Prairie View Elementary - Run3 Mile

View Member's Race Log
Wentzville, Missouri
United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 8h 30m
Overall Rank = 1/25
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Just hung around with my wife, and a friend. Didn't eat anything special.
Event warmup:

I jogged for about 5 mins, and then stretched for 10.
Run
  • 17m 49s
  • 3 miles
  • 05m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a test run to see if I could to the tri the next day. I warmed up okay, without any pain, so I was optimistic going into it.

The race started and I just fell in behind the leader. I really didn't know where I was going, so I wanted to get to the last mile without getting lost before I tried to take over any leads. That part of the plan worked out fine. Between the 2 of us at the front of the race, we figure out where to go, at one point even stopping completely in the middle of the road to quickly discuss the situation. That was kinda funny.

That's where the funniness ends. I was no more than 3 mins into the race when I felt my knee stiffen up. It was happening. That throbbing feeling that just won't quit. 1 minute later, it was aching badly, and I was running with a weird gait. At that point, I think I knew in the back of my head that I'd never make it through a tri with a long bike segment, on a knee this painful... so I may as well go hard in this 5k since the damage is already done, and the pain is pretty intense.
The pain in my knee doesn't keep my leg from supporting my weight, but it does hurt like a bitch!
Anyways, after the first turnaround, I was cruising comfortably (i use that term loosely -- i wasn't breathing too heavily) behind the leader by a couple steps. By that point, i knew the rest of the race course, so I let loose and decided to see if I could power away from the group. I pushed it pretty good the rest of the race, but all the while enjoyed my first experience of being first! I even got to break the ribbon at the finish line. That was fun, even if there were only about 20+ runners!
What would you do differently?:

Not run, and save myself some pain.
Post race
Warm down:

stretched, but didn't feel like subjecting myself to a cool-down jog.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my knee hurt. and i think i went out too slowly. i could have pushed harder for the whole race.

Event comments:

my favorite part was watching all the little kids do the 1mi fun walk/run. their antics are just hilarious!!

Last updated: 2006-10-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:49 | 03 miles | 05m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 1/25
Performance: Good
Course: Down Fiese Rd, into a quiet community, back out onto Fiese. Down Bryan Rd to a turn-around spot, then back to Fiese, and into the school parking lot.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-10-04 11:38 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Subject: Happy 1st Birthday Prairie View Elementary
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Happy 1st Birthday Prairie View Elementary Rss Feed